2019-2020 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You cannot receive VA disability and active duty pay concurrently, so they will stop it (or retroactively take it back) on the day that your active duty orders begin. For me, it was the day that I started officer training.

It is a two-step process to stop your VA disability. First, contact the VA and tell them on the phone that you are returning to active duty and no longer qualify for the disability payments. (They are familiar with the process.) Next, they will give you a phone number to fax a copy of your orders. If you get paid past the date your active duty orders begin, just put the money aside and prepare to pay it back.
Thanks for the reply! That answered my question. My buddy was told to stop his VA payments before even getting an offer of admission last cycle but that didn't make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II! Interviewing on 10/17

@goldchallenge I'm curious to hear about why you chose the Public Health Service and which of the two options you chose? I am currently thinking about Army and the Public Health Service and would welcome thoughts from anyone in either branch!

Reactions: 1 users
@madiisoriginal CONGRATS!

When did you receive your “application complete” email from USUHS. I know they don’t necessarily view apps linearly, but I’m curious. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Weird - I submitted before you in July and never received a complete e-mail.

Did you email your admissions counselor? Iirc in addition to completing the prereqs section you also had to let the counselor assigned to you by last name know that your app was verified and that your letters of rec were in

So I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not, but I had submitted everything the first week of August and hadn't heard anything since so I emailed my contact person last night and woke up to a complete email this morning

Does anyone know if it's worth submitting a secondary here if I miss the 21 day deadline by a few days?

Received and interview this morning! I’m beyond excited. Was complete 8/5.
Also, I never received a complete email, even after emailing my admissions counselor about it!

II this morning! First one ever and this is my first choice I’m so excited! Who else interviews on the 24th of October?

Members don't see this ad :)
So am I expected to retrieve information on every ticket I've gotten? Including traffic and parking tickets? Just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Same Here! Hoping to switch to Oct. 31st though!

I thought about pushing it back too but figured I’d just rip it off like a bandaid lol .. was hoping to have at least one interview before this one to get all of the nerves out of the way

Just got disqualified for a congenital orthopedic issue that was surgically fixed at birth and have no lingering problems with it or my gait. Anyone have any disqualifications or problems like this that they had to respond to on DoDMerb?

C’Mon USUHS.......please call me for an interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if you can get disqualified from DODMETS or otherwise for trying marijuana once in a legal state? (and not even getting high, at that?) I claimed it on my questionnaire and now feel like I may have jeopardized any chance for an acceptance :(

Just got disqualified for a congenital orthopedic issue that was surgically fixed at birth and have no lingering problems with it or my gait. Anyone have any disqualifications or problems like this that they had to respond to on DoDMerb?
I think you can get a waiver for something like this. Have you looked into that at all?

Does anyone know if you can get disqualified from DODMETS or otherwise for trying marijuana once in a legal state? (and not even getting high, at that?) I claimed it on my questionnaire and now feel like I may have jeopardized any chance for an acceptance :(
You won't get disqualified. If you get in you might meet one on one with an investigator and just tell them you used it to experiment (once) not recreationally (usually meaning a few times)

What are the typical stats of someone accepted to this school ?

I smoked a few times in college but quit afterwards, and I was honest about it. Still got an II, so I think you'll be okay! :)

I think you can get a waiver for something like this. Have you looked into that at all?
Talked with students who recently graduated USUHS. They said that if you get conditionally accepted, you get a medical waiver following to move forward.

No I haven't heard anything yet, my student host said that there would be one but I haven't gotten official details yet...
They'll send a sign-up email a couple days before your interview but your host should know where it will be since I hear it's usually at the same spot in downtown Bethesda.

Just got the call!!! Accepted and currently unable to function at work because of the call. Interviewed 9/19

Reactions: 7 users
I’M GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL LETS GO! Got the call and ugly cried for a solid 15 minutes, interviewed 9/5. I’m so happy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to those who received acceptances today!

I got an email telling me that I am waitlisted pre-II. Does anyone know how often people get an II after this email?

Thanks!

Accepted!! SO EXCITED! For anyone that knows: if you are medically disqualified, are you automatically considered for a waiver, or do you need to request one?

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!! SO EXCITED! For anyone that knows: if you are medically disqualified, are you automatically considered for a waiver, or do you need to request one?
I asked CDR Liotta when he called and said to potentially reach out to the Commissioning Officer if we dont hear from him in a few days as he is new and getting settled. Congrats on the acceptance!

So am I expected to retrieve information on every ticket I've gotten? Including traffic and parking tickets? Just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Sorry for the late response but no. I simply wrote that I had received a number of tickets for minor traffic infractions between 200x and 20xx, and that I have matured and learned my lesson (more eloquent than that obviously).

Congrats! Contact the commissioning coordinator as soon as you can to work on your waiver. It was Mrs. Wilsnack last year (and I believe it is her this year as well). She is wonderful and will help you through it.

Will you be there on the 24th? :D that’s when I’ll be there, I’m so excited!

The sign-up sheet pretty much filled up completely within a couple of days (shows how much we love our school, I guess), so I was only able to get a couple spots. But I'm probably going to show up anyway because I'll be on campus. If they let me join in, I will!

ACCEPTED I got the call today!! Interviewed the 19th of September