2019-2020 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait if you have hundreds of hours of clinical volunteering and community leadership why was it bad that you had a lot of research hours. Doesn't that look really good to the admissions committee? (One of my most meaningful's for this application cycle was research hours at the NIH.... )

Also when you said you were following up with them, do you mean you have been emailing the admissions counselors? If so, what kinds of things do you email them about?

I emailed, and then was able to schedule a call. (I think you should give it a shot if you intend on reapplying. hopefully they'll have some feedback and point you in the right direction!)

I also applied MD/PhD so my application was weighted more heavily on my research side, and I didn't emphasize my clinical experience as much (I was also waiting on a clinical research publication, which went through early this year, I think that'll definitely help me out). I think looking bad is like subjective right? One of the concerns from the admissions committee seems to be that I had like a 5:1 ratio of research to service hours. I think I need to put things into better context in my personal statement.

I think this cycle definitely gave me a little bit of humility and some rethinking into what I personally want to achieve with my career, thus I'll be opting to apply into MD programs. I also know now to more heavily emphasize why I want to be a clinician and talk more to my direct patient contact experiences. And for my USUHS reapplication, I've also been working with getting to know what it's like to be in the military and be a military physician.

I think the feedback I got made a lot of sense, and definitely pointed me in a direction I can work on.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I emailed, and then was able to schedule a call. (I think you should give it a shot if you intend on reapplying. hopefully they'll have some feedback and point you in the right direction!)

I also applied MD/PhD so my application was weighted more heavily on my research side, and I didn't emphasize my clinical experience as much (I was also waiting on a clinical research publication, which went through early this year, I think that'll definitely help me out). I think looking bad is like subjective right? One of the concerns from the admissions committee seems to be that I had like a 5:1 ratio of research to service hours. I think I need to put things into better context in my personal statement.

I think this cycle definitely gave me a little bit of humility and some rethinking into what I personally want to achieve with my career, thus I'll be opting to apply into MD programs. I also know now to more heavily emphasize why I want to be a clinician and talk more to my direct patient contact experiences. And for my USUHS reapplication, I've also been working with getting to know what it's like to be in the military and be a military physician.

I think the feedback I got made a lot of sense, and definitely pointed me in a direction I can work on.
This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
I tuned into USUHS's virtual open house yesterday and heard Captain Liotta speak (and also in the process found out that captain in the Army does not equate to captain in the Navy haha). He did mention that research is definitely a plus, but he put much more emphasis on clinical experience and service.

Reactions: 1 user

So I have about 1500 hours as an EMT gathered over a few years but 4500 in NIH research over the past year and the incoming year (2019-2021). Do you think that it could be seen negatively? (I wanted to encourage you by saying how impressed I was hearing you had 20k hours of research... that's insane man! Not a lot of people can compete with that!)

Also in your personal statement, what did you focus on? Did you not focus on clinical volunteering as much or patient care? That was one of my problems this past cycle. My personal statement did not focus on my clinical experience side as much.

Also, yes, I have been humbled by the past cycle and it allowed me to really think about what I want to do as well. As for a military physician - what benefits do you think there are after serving like job opportunity wise? Like in terms of politics, leadership, etc. Does being in the military help with that?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I have about 1500 hours as an EMT gathered over a few years but 4500 in NIH research over the past year and the incoming year (2019-2021). Do you think that it could be seen negatively? (I wanted to encourage you by saying how impressed I was hearing you had 20k hours of research... that's insane man! Not a lot of people can compete with that!)

Also in your personal statement, what did you focus on? Did you not focus on clinical volunteering as much or patient care? That was one of my problems this past cycle. My personal statement did not focus on my clinical experience side as much.

Also, yes, I have been humbled by the past cycle and it allowed me to really think about what I want to do as well. As for a military physician - what benefits do you think there are after serving like job opportunity wise? Like in terms of politics, leadership, etc. Does being in the military help with that?

Haha, I'm a career changer though, and I spent the majority part of the last decade in the industry.... so that kind of time adds up. Now if like someone freshly graduated from college with 20k+ hours of research that'd be absolutely ridiculous. If you spend a decade in research that's like about 2.5K hours a year (we tend to worker longer hours... ~50-60 hrs a week, I barely took time off, whatever time I took of I went volunteering).

I most definitely did not focus as much on the challenges i've experience in patient care that motivates me to be a doctor. I went for a translational medicine take of research integrated with clinical (not surprising, I applied MD/PhD).

I took up volunteering with the USO to get to learn more about what it's like to serve with and in the military. I think this is a good option, you'll certainly meet a lot of military members this way.

Haha, I'm a career changer though, and I spent the majority part of the last decade in the industry.... so that kind of time adds up. Now if like someone freshly graduated from college with 20k+ hours of research that'd be absolutely ridiculous. If you spend a decade in research that's like about 2.5K hours a year (we tend to worker longer hours... ~50-60 hrs a week, I barely took time off, whatever time I took of I went volunteering).

I most definitely did not focus as much on the challenges i've experience in patient care that motivates me to be a doctor. I went for a translational medicine take of research integrated with clinical (not surprising, I applied MD/PhD).

I took up volunteering with the USO to get to learn more about what it's like to serve with and in the military. I think this is a good option, you'll certainly meet a lot of military members this way.
I have been wondering about this if I want to become a military physician - what benefits do you think there are AFTER serving (like 20 years) like job opportunity wise? Like in terms of politics, leadership, etc. Does being in the military help with that?

Last edited:

Do you think that had you applied to MD program (instead of MD/PhD) for USUHS that you might have had better chance this cycle?

I have been wondering about this if I want to become a military physician - what benefits do you think there are AFTER serving (like 20 years) like job opportunity wise? Like in terms of politics, leadership, etc. Does being in the military help with that?

I don’t have credibility to answer your question, but it’s pretty vague, in my opinion. I imagine being a good (military) physician helps in any scenario?

What exactly are you asking? Is there something specific you’re trying to do (not that I’ll necessarily be able to address it)?

Also (the most important question of all), do you actually want to be in the military? Otherwise a 20 year stepping stone will be one hell of a painful journey.

I think you get the pension after 20 years. You can look at the careers of General Nadja West to see about opportunities after 20 years. Though I feel like if you were to stay that long, those positions may be more administrative than clinical.

I don’t have credibility to answer your question, but it’s pretty vague, in my opinion. I imagine being a good (military) physician helps in any scenario?

What exactly are you asking? Is there something specific you’re trying to do (not that I’ll necessarily be able to address it)?

Also (the most important question of all), do you actually want to be in the military? Otherwise a 20 year stepping stone will be one hell of a painful journey.
Oh yes, I definitely want to be in the military. I think it is a good opportunity. What I was referring to was, does being in the military help you in positions for health policy change or leadership positions that translate to U.S. constituents. For example politics. I just wanted to know whether being a military physician would help with that more than a civilian doctor.

Oh yes, I definitely want to be in the military. I think it is a good opportunity. What I was referring to was, does being in the military help you in positions for health policy change or leadership positions that translate to U.S. constituents. For example politics. I just wanted to know whether being a military physician would help with that more than a civilian doctor.

One immediate example I can think of his Captain Rhee's career path. He became chief of trauma at Tucson Arizona. You can also look into Captain Forsberg's career path, he's now a professor at JHU. I caution that these brilliant doctors may be more the exemption than the norm though.

But honestly as much as military training in leadership goes, I think a lot of what determines where you end up is your own personal drive and dedication. (And evidentally luck, if you look at some of the complaints about military med, but I've heard big changes are happening?)

I'm not in the military though so maybe some current students can chime in.

There are plenty of military physicians who get into those positions and plenty of civilian physicians. The military may or may not give you the chance to network to meet the right people. It depends on what kind of assignments you go for, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is an outdated thread, but for any of you who were accepted, around when did you commission and receive your orders to move? I'm matriculating this year andI just signed a lease for an apartment in May. I don't want to move my stuff before my orders though, so having a general idea would help a lot. Thanks!