2019-2020 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Beyond excited, first ever II and it's at my dream school! LM 68

Congrats. Feel free to ask any questions about the interview day.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. Feel free to ask any questions about the interview day.

Thanks! I need a little bit of time to contain my excitement and then I will start planning, and definitely will send you a message!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview too, my first ever as well, SO BEYOND EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes be excited! It’s a great school and the interview day is great. So is the dinner the night before.

It's kind of weird and exciting to think about how we get to be the MS1s at the dinner this time around. Time flies.

And yes, if you can make it to the dinner it's a lot of fun, but if you can't make it, don't worry. It wont reflect on you in a negative way whatsoever.

It's kind of weird and exciting to think about how we get to be the MS1s at the dinner this time around. Time flies.

And yes, if you can make it to the dinner it's a lot of fun, but if you can't make it, don't worry. It wont reflect on you in a negative way whatsoever.

Right? So crazy. You ready for formation tomorrow?

II! Submitted 7/1, also my first II and can't contain my excitement

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who received an II!

Does anyone know if an LOA needs to be submitted before active duty members are considered for an interview?

Does anyone know if an LOA needs to be submitted before active duty members are considered for an interview?

In my experience from last year, no. They reviewed my application and I received an II before I had my LOA. They just cant offer you a seat until they get the LOA.

Members don't see this ad :)

No. You will probably need it before you can get an acceptance but you can be interviewed in the meantime. Let your counselor know you are working on it.

it might vary i know last year my application wasn't considered complete until they had my LOA in hand. as soon as they got my LOA that same morning i got the application is complete email and then a few weeks later i got my prereq request email a few weeks later and then a II a few weeks after that. i would work on getting that LOA as soon as possible

it might vary i know last year my application wasn't considered complete until they had my LOA in hand. as soon as they got my LOA that same morning i got the application is complete email and then a few weeks later i got my prereq request email a few weeks later and then a II a few weeks after that. i would work on getting that LOA as soon as possible

I had my interview before they had my LOA. I think it might just depend. Better to get it in sooner anyway.

I had my interview before they had my LOA. I think it might just depend. Better to get it in sooner anyway.

i wonder if its because you are E2MDPP since yours is mostly a formality. they wouldn't allow you into that program if they weren't going to approve the LOA

i wonder if its because you are E2MDPP since yours is mostly a formality. they wouldn't allow you into that program if they weren't going to approve the LOA

Could be, but @goldchallenge didn't need his either.

Either way, earlier is better because you can’t get an acceptance without it I don’t think.

I am active duty and received an II without having an LOA / LOR. Was marked complete I believe on the 23rd. I have started working on mine though.

Reactions: 2 users
Could be, but @goldchallenge didn't need his either.

Either way, earlier is better because you can’t get an acceptance without it I don’t think.

Yeah, my experience was I interviewed in November, finally got the LOA in January, and received an acceptance offer the next day after submitting the LOA (technically was put on the PHS waitlist at first, but got off of it fairly quickly). I don't know if it was just my timing or maybe USU handles the LOAs from PHS a bit differently because of past experiences with PHS?

@moose517, do what you can to get the LOA ASAP, because either way you will need it to successfully apply to USU.

ETA: I also kept my admissions counselor updated on every milestone with obtaining the LOA. I.e. I sent a copy of my first line command's approval of the LOA and kept communicating on my progress until I received the final approval from my top command. (PHS's LOAs require the Assistant Secretary of Health's [4-star admiral] signature. Not sure if other services require that level of approval.)

Last edited:
Got an II this morning! For military applicants, are we supposed to attend the interview in ASUs or normal interview attire?

Yeah, my experience was I interviewed in November, finally got the LOA in January, and received an acceptance offer the next day after submitting the LOA (technically was put on the PHS waitlist at first, but got off of it fairly quickly). I don't know if it was just my timing or maybe USU handles the LOAs from PHS a bit differently because of past experiences with PHS?

@moose517, do what you can to get the LOA ASAP, because either way you will need it to successfully apply to USU.

ETA: I also kept my admissions counselor updated on every milestone with obtaining the LOA. I.e. I sent a copy of my first line command's approval of the LOA and kept communicating on my progress until I received the final approval from my top command. (PHS's LOAs require the Assistant Secretary of Health's [4-star admiral] signature. Not sure if other services require that level of approval.)

Thanks for all the advice! I submitted my LOA package in Jun and found out today it was accidentally rerouted to the pentagon. AFPC’s brining it back and, since all the approvals are already in there, I should have it in a week.

Got an II this morning! For military applicants, are we supposed to attend the interview in ASUs or normal interview attire?

You will be give guidance on this, but it is whatever the equivalent of your service dress blues are. It should say it somewhere in the info they give you for the interview. Either in that first invite email or in one of the subsequent ones.

Do you need to get a confirmation email that your secondary is complete before you receive an II? I submitted my secondary 7/23 (hopefully that's not too late) and I know it takes some time for confirmation.

When I get confirmation, how long should I expect to wait for an II? Or is that on a per-applicant basis?

has anyone non military gotten a II yet?

Definitely. The interviews go out in batches. At each interview there are like 30 applicants and at least half are non-military.

Do you need to get a confirmation email that your secondary is complete before you receive an II? I submitted my secondary 7/23 (hopefully that's not too late) and I know it takes some time for confirmation.

When I get confirmation, how long should I expect to wait for an II? Or is that on a per-applicant basis?

Yes you should be complete before you get your interview. It depends on how fast the interviews fill up. I was complete the first week of August and they had already filled up the first two interview dates. So just be patient.

Fly into Reagan or Dulles? Best times to fly in the night before for host program and earliest to fly out the next evening after interview day?

I submitted my app and had everything complete by June 30th. I have not received a complete email but everything says it is turned in and completed. I emailed the admissions counselor and she told me that if anything was missing, I would be contacted. Should I wait for a complete email before expecting an interview? And if so, what is the hold up?

Currently waiting on a complete email as well. essays+prereqs submitted 10 days ago

I submitted my app and had everything complete by June 30th. I have not received a complete email but everything says it is turned in and completed. I emailed the admissions counselor and she told me that if anything was missing, I would be contacted. Should I wait for a complete email before expecting an interview? And if so, what is the hold up?

Yes, they will mark you complete at a later date this is normal (~3 weeks for me). If you're selected for an II it will be after you receive a complete email.

Fly into Reagan or Dulles? Best times to fly in the night before for host program and earliest to fly out the next evening after interview day?

I would fly in the afternoon or evening before so you can get a good nights sleep before. Also that lets you go to the pre interview dinner which was really fun.

I would leave the day after the interview. I didn’t get done until almost 1700.

It's been quite a bit longer than 3 weeks, haha!
Yes, they will mark you complete at a later date this is normal (~3 weeks for me). If you're selected for an II it will be after you receive a complete email.

I submitted my secondary app (and all my LORs were complete) on July 7th, but have not yet heard anything back either. I thought I would have gotten a complete email by now.

I would fly in the afternoon or evening before so you can get a good nights sleep before. Also that lets you go to the pre interview dinner which was really fun.

So if you stay the night after the interview does the host program still apply or are you on your own? And is there a general time to meet up with your host the night before the interview or it depends on schedules, really not sure how it works. Do you generally go with them to the pre interview dinner? I appreciate all of your information!!!

So if you stay the night after the interview does the host program still apply or are you on your own? And is there a general time to meet up with your host the night before the interview or it depends on schedules, really not sure how it works. Do you generally go with them to the pre interview dinner? I appreciate all of your information!!!

I didn’t do the host program, so I’m not sure. I think you get the contact info and can set it up with the host. I don’t think many if any of them went to the dinner but some might have.

Either Reagan or Dulles is fine. Reagan is easier to get to via metro if youre planning on using public transit to get around.

I submitted my secondary app (and all my LORs were complete) on July 7th, but have not yet heard anything back either. I thought I would have gotten a complete email by now.

I posted my timeline up above, but I believe I had submitted and filled out the prerequisite email by the 3rd of July, was marked complete on the 23rd. I would say just be patient for now, as I am sure they are very busy this time of year. My admissions counselor always responded quickly and was extremely helpful with any questions I had, so I would say do not hesitate to contact if you're concerned.

I finally got the complete email yesterday, August 8th!

Does USUHS have a application status page to monitor your application status or can we expect to get rejections/interviews/waitlist info over emial.

Does USUHS have a application status page to monitor your application status or can we expect to get rejections/interviews/waitlist info over emial.
No status page. Solely email

I'm another incoming MS1 and am happy to answer questions. I am one of the (very few) Public Health Service students, and am also happy to answer questions specific to PHS.

Yes, it's so rare to find folks interested in PHS. Could you share a bit more about why you're interested in serving with them? And maybe explain a little about what the big difference is between going into PHS versus the military... I've only met a PHS member on a reservation which got me very interested. I just don't know a ton about how different the day to day life is and if your training is different. I'd appreciate anything you could share!!

Do you remember what time the pre-interview dinner started last year? I'm thinking about grabbing this flight that lands at 622...should I be good?

So, I submitted my secondary here on the 15th of July and haven’t heard a thing. Not even a complete email. Is anybody else having this same concern? I emailed the school around the 2 weeks mark, and they basically said to just be patient. It’s now been over a month and I’m getting a bit concerned.

So, I submitted my secondary here on the 15th of July and haven’t heard a thing. Not even a complete email. Is anybody else having this same concern? I emailed the school around the 2 weeks mark, and they basically said to just be patient. It’s now been over a month and I’m getting a bit concerned.
Same here, after receiving the email to enter my pre-reqs week of 7/20, silence.

Same here, after receiving the email to enter my pre-reqs week of 7/20, silence.

Ok! I assume that if something was wrong we would have been notified by now, so I guess it’s a longer or different process somehow at USUHS.