2019-2020 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally received the complete email a few days ago and had everything inon June 30th, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

II this morning for September 19!! Complete email received on 7/23

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite received! Non-military, complete email received 8/8

I submitted everything by July 3rd, haven't heard a peep from them, i'm starting to wonder if they just lost my application

I submitted everything by July 3rd, haven't heard a peep from them, i'm starting to wonder if they just lost my application
I submitted my app on 7/23, and I haven't heard back from USU since. I'm starting to wonder the same thing.

I submitted my app on 7/23, and I haven't heard back from USU since. I'm starting to wonder the same thing.

Most schools don't review in order. I'm sure they prioritize reviews based on stats and characteristics. So you still have plenty of time to be contacted

Does being prior service/currently serving give much of a boost for USU? Is it kinda akin to being in-state in a relatively competitive state, or does it not help as much since so many of the applicants are prior service?

Also, would there be any additional boost for still owing time on a contract, which would probably then have to be paid back in time as an MD?

So if you stay the night after the interview does the host program still apply or are you on your own? And is there a general time to meet up with your host the night before the interview or it depends on schedules, really not sure how it works. Do you generally go with them to the pre interview dinner? I appreciate all of your information!!!

Hi, there. Student hosts have agreed to putting up interviewees for just the night prior to interview. I'm sure many would agree to an extra night if needed; you'll simply need to have that conversation. When you meet with your host/arrive at their hut is completely up to what you work out with your host. Just try to be considerate. I've had interviewees show up hours after they said they would, forcing me to stay up before an early day.

As for the dinner, your host may or may not attend. though, hosts will. If not, they'll certainly help you get to where you need to be.

Does being prior service/currently serving give much of a boost for USU? Is it kinda akin to being in-state in a relatively competitive state, or does it not help as much since so many of the applicants are prior service?

Also, would there be any additional boost for still owing time on a contract, which would probably then have to be paid back in time as an MD?
In my experience it can certainly help to understand that you as an applicant know what you're getting into. That said, a prior who expresses disinterest in support of the military mission or disinterest in career in military medicine won't be looked as favorably as a brand new civilian expressing enthusiasm for these things.

In my experience it can certainly help to understand that you as an applicant know what you're getting into. That said, a prior who expresses disinterest in support of the military mission or disinterest in career in military medicine won't be looked as favorably as a brand new civilian expressing enthusiasm for these things.

Understood, makes sense. If you’re disinterested in a career in military medicine you probably shouldn’t be applying to a school that demands you enter that field for 7 years.

I don't know how/if the AdCom considers this, but having a pre-existing ADSO could make it more difficult for you to get the LOA (or LOR if enlisted) needed to complete your USU application.

I don't know how/if the AdCom considers this, but having a pre-existing ADSO could make it more difficult for you to get the LOA (or LOR if enlisted) needed to complete your USU application.
Correct I know in the army you would need to get approval from a brigade CO identifying that you are no longer mission essential

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we find out about the pre interview dinner? Is it only for the first couple interviews or do we get notified later closer to the interview date? Thanks!

Correct I know in the army you would need to get approval from a brigade CO identifying that you are no longer mission essential

I’m in the guard now, what I understood was I could get approval at the BN level, but it may be BDE, I’m not 100%. Either way, I will still owe 4 years to the guard from an ROTC scholarship, which should translate to 2 years active. I’m sure there will be complications in figuring out what I time I owe, but I know a few people in the guard who have switched to active while owing time, so there’s precedent.

I just think they’d rather lock in a doctor for an extra 2 years if all else is similar, but they probably don’t think that’s way.

Just out of curiosity, if you get admitted as prior service with a VA rating/pension. When do you have to let the VA know about stopping payments? It would make sense to have them stop by the RNLTD but one of my buddies interviewed last cycle and was told he had to give up his pension before even getting an offer of admission.

Just out of curiosity, if you get admitted as prior service with a VA rating/pension. When do you have to let the VA know about stopping payments? It would make sense to have them stop by the RNLTD but one of my buddies interviewed last cycle and was told he had to give up his pension before even getting an offer of admission.

That's a great question for your admissions counselor.

Reactions: 1 user

Actually most people are not prior service. Only about 40% of the class has any prior service at all, and of those, about 50% of them are just service academy. No offense to them, but that's not really the same. Only about 18-20% of our class has actual prior enlisted or officer service outside of a service academy or ROTC. And yes, it definitely gives you a boost. It will not overcome poor grades or a bad interview, but it does help you.

I don't think this hurts or helps, as long as you can get your LOA.

What does the "complete" email say? Haven't received anything yet my app has been complete in the portal for sometime.

Complete email just now. I think I submitted around 7/10-7/13 area

Edit: Here is what is says (for the above reply)

Dear ____,

Thank you for applying to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine.

This is to notify you that your supplemental application and letters of recommendations have been received by the Admissions Office. This is only serves to notify you that all necessary material needed at this stage of the process has been received. There is no additional information required at this time. Your file is in the review process. You will be notified if there are any questions or concerns; if additional information is required; at the next stage of the process; or when a decision has been made.

Regards,

Does anyone know the procedure for obtaining/scheduling a DODMERB physical? On the information update sheet it is asking for our appointment date and location stating this info is mandatory by time of interview.

Complete email just now. I think I submitted around 7/10-7/13 area

Edit: Here is what is says (for the above reply)

Dear ____,

Thank you for applying to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine.

This is to notify you that your supplemental application and letters of recommendations have been received by the Admissions Office. This is only serves to notify you that all necessary material needed at this stage of the process has been received. There is no additional information required at this time. Your file is in the review process. You will be notified if there are any questions or concerns; if additional information is required; at the next stage of the process; or when a decision has been made.

Regards,
I got a complete email today but its is different from yours. I was complete around the same time as you

Does anyone know the procedure for obtaining/scheduling a DODMERB physical? On the information update sheet it is asking for our appointment date and location stating this info is mandatory by time of interview.

The directions for that are in the email you received for the interview invite.

Just got a complete email. Submitted the secondary back in June.

I got a complete email today but its is different from yours. I was complete around the same time as you
I got another one as well which was phrased differently

I was in the same boat. You need to call the VA and let them know that you have returned to active duty. They will require you to fax a copy of your orders to them as well. It’s not a big deal, but expect to get a couple of extra disability payments that you will have to return.

If any of y'all were here today, I hope everything went well, and I probably saw you. It's crazy to think I was there just a year ago, and now I'm about to take my first med school exam lol.
I'll be there 3OCT, prior service, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Haha Best of luck on your exam!

So, I submitted my secondary here on the 15th of July and haven’t heard a thing. Not even a complete email. Is anybody else having this same concern? I emailed the school around the 2 weeks mark, and they basically said to just be patient. It’s now been over a month and I’m getting a bit concerned.
Hi I have the same question. I submitted 7/9. On the email it said there was a way to check status on the main menu of the app but I cannot find anyway to do that. Did you email your Admissions Counselor (based on last name) or the mail school email? Thanks for sharing .. at lease now I know I’m not alone!

I'll be there 3OCT, prior service, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Haha Best of luck on your exam!

Be yourself. Don’t get too comfortable just because you’re prior. That helps but isn’t a guarantee or anything. But I don’t mean you need to be You’re already in the top 13%. At this point it’s just about whether you’re a good fit for the school. You'll be fine!

If any of y'all were here today, I hope everything went well, and I probably saw you. It's crazy to think I was there just a year ago, and now I'm about to take my first med school exam lol.
Thanks. I loved the campus, and the students!!!

• Love
Hi I have the same question. I submitted 7/9. On the email it said there was a way to check status on the main menu of the app but I cannot find anyway to do that. Did you email your Admissions Counselor (based on last name) or the mail school email? Thanks for sharing .. at lease now I know I’m not alone!
Hi, also about to take my first exam. My journey to USUHS was a roller coaster. At this time last year, I had heard nothing back from them either and I was thinking I messed something up. I was put on hold for a bit but eventually got an interview and then accepted. Never count yourself out. I had 53 weeks from submitting the primary to getting my phone call. I would just try to trust the process right now. If you are neurotic like I was, you can email your counselor and check but they probably won't tell you much except hang tight.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email about being deferred today. Anything I could do, like send an email out or something similar to show my interest as this is my top school?

Has anyone received complete emails or anything lately? I’ve had nothing since late July after my counselor confirmed that my letters were received.

Just that they are “favorably disposed to me” but would like to see more possible applicants before maybe offering me an interview
I got the same email. I thought it was positive! Don't be so harsh on yourself.

I feel like positive was just a formality with the whole process, but I’m trying to be as optimistic as I can

I feel like positive was just a formality with the whole process, but I’m trying to be as optimistic as I can

It basically means they like you but want to see the rest of the applicant pool before making a decision. There are people in my class who got that email so it’s not a rejection.

Send periodic, but pertinent updates.

For those interviewing, where did you find the lab coat from on the checklist? I can't find it anywhere

For those interviewing, where did you find the lab coat from on the checklist? I can't find it anywhere

Honestly I don’t know why they even have you fill out that form. During orientation they have a white coat fitting where you try them on and write down your size and name on a new form.

Reapplying this year after being put on the secondary waitlist. The secondary says not to reuse the same essays as last, and I don't plan on copy and paste. Does anyone know if I can rewrite the same stories I told last year or do I need to come up with something completely new. Definitely plan on doing more than just replacing a word here and there with a synonym but the message would be the same. My shortcomings from last year were addressed with activities in the primary application.

You cannot receive VA disability and active duty pay concurrently, so they will stop it (or retroactively take it back) on the day that your active duty orders begin. For me, it was the day that I started officer training.

It is a two-step process to stop your VA disability. First, contact the VA and tell them on the phone that you are returning to active duty and no longer qualify for the disability payments. (They are familiar with the process.) Next, they will give you a phone number to fax a copy of your orders. If you get paid past the date your active duty orders begin, just put the money aside and prepare to pay it back.