2019-2020 Quinnipiac (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Also interviewed earlier this week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my mailed admissions letter today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
is it like general info or like an award amount?

General, their financial aid is out in the spring and you apply their merit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II (on a Sunday morning). I am not sure about going as I have an acceptance from a pretty good medical school already. Anyone has been in a similar situation? What did you do?

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II (on a Sunday morning). I am not sure about going as I have an acceptance from a pretty good medical school already. Anyone has been in a similar situation? What did you do?

Don't have personal experience with this, but I think the debate just has to be between whether it's a school you'd attend over the one you're already accepted to, is it worth the cost to attend the interview (flying potentially?), and if accepted, to this school as well, do you think you'd be able to leverage for a better financial aid package from whichever school you like the most?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have personal experience with this, but I think the debate just has to be between whether it's a school you'd attend over the one you're already accepted to, is it worth the cost to attend the interview (flying potentially?), and if accepted, to this school as well, do you think you'd be able to leverage for a better financial aid package from whichever school you like the most?

Thank you. How common is leveraging one school to another? Do you know if schools are responsive to that?

That is also the main reason why I am more inclined to interview at schools that I might not pick. I know it sounds awful, but once you get into one school then it becomes all about going to the best one you can in the cheapest way possible.

Congrats! As stated above, if you are fairly certain you would attend the school you have been accepted at, decline the invitation and withdraw your application (and withdraw at other institutions you know you will not pick over your accepted school). It saves you time as well as the AdComs and gives the opportunity to other candidates. The only reasons to attend are 1. you could see yourself potentially attending the school, 2. you can leverage a financial aid package (which I don't think you can do with Quinnipiac as it's not in the T30 but I'm not too sure how leveraging scholarships works so take that with a grain of salt), or 3. you just want to attend an interview for the heck of it and you have the time and money to do so (you can do this but in my opinion, it would be better to just give the spot to another candidate).

Edit: no one can really tell you the financial aid situation without knowing the other school you're accepted at. Again, I highly doubt you'll be able to leverage Quinnipiac against another school as Quinnipiac is fairly new and developing its reputation. And before even getting to leveraging scholarships, the whole deal would be contingent upon the fact that you would 1. get accepted at Quinnipiac and 2. Quinnipiac would provide you with a good scholarship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you. How common is leveraging one school to another? Do you know if schools are responsive to that?

That is also the main reason why I am more inclined to interview at schools that I might not pick. I know it sounds awful, but once you get into one school then it becomes all about going to the best one you can in the cheapest way possible.

Doesn't sound awful at all, just smart! If I were you it'd just be a cost-benefit evaluation. For example, if you can drive to the interview then I wouldn't really see a downside. If you had to pay $800 in flight and hotel costs and it was known that the schools doesn't offer much aid or something, then it seems less worth it.

I personally don't know much about the whole leveraging deal and haven't done much research because I likely won't be fortunate enough to be in that situation lol. So, you might want to do some SDN searching for it, or maybe ask an adcom (on SDN)?

Congrats! As stated above, if you are fairly certain you would attend the school you have been accepted at, decline the invitation and withdraw your application (and withdraw at other institutions you know you will not pick over your accepted school). It saves you time as well as the AdComs and gives the opportunity to other candidates. The only reasons to attend are 1. you could see yourself potentially attending the school, 2. you can leverage a financial aid package (which I don't think you can do with Quinnipiac as it's not in the T30 but I'm not too sure how leveraging scholarships works so take that with a grain of salt), or 3. you just want to attend an interview for the heck of it and you have the time and money to do so (you can do this but in my opinion, it would be better to just give the spot to another candidate).

Edit: no one can really tell you the financial aid situation without knowing the other school you're accepted at. Again, I highly doubt you'll be able to leverage Quinnipiac against another school as Quinnipiac is fairly new and developing its reputation. And before even getting to leveraging scholarships, the whole deal would be contingent upon the fact that you would 1. get accepted at Quinnipiac and 2. Quinnipiac would provide you with a good scholarship.

You make good points, and I agree that the altruistic way to handle it would be to let someone else have the II if he/she is not really likely to benefit from going to the interview, however I don't think he/she really should feel like the altruistic way is expected by any means. Also, you pointed out many POSSIBLE ways that they could benefit, i.e. leveraging for more aid, so even if it isn't LIKELY he/she probably might as well interview unless theres much cost to him/her.

I also agree that you're probably right that no school is going to be like "oh crap let me offer them more money so they don't go to quinnipiac instead", BUT if Quinnipiac offered him/her a full-ride, maybe the other school would offer a little more money to entice him/her. I'm getting into a lot of probably unnecessary hypotheticals but you see that it's pretty gray as opposed to black and white.

EDIT: I'll also add that our knee-jerk reaction as fellow applicants, and I'm very guilty of this, is to feel like others are being selfish to attend an interview when they aren't likely to attend if accepted, but I think it's worth pointing out that in this application game it's really our job to worry about our own best interests, as these are huge decisions we're making.

You make good points, and I agree that the altruistic way to handle it would be to let someone else have the II if he/she is not really likely to benefit from going to the interview, however I don't think he/she really should feel like the altruistic way is expected by any means. Also, you pointed out many POSSIBLE ways that they could benefit, i.e. leveraging for more aid, so even if it isn't LIKELY he/she probably might as well interview unless theres much cost to him/her.

I also agree that you're probably right that no school is going to be like "oh crap let me offer them more money so they don't go to quinnipiac instead", BUT if Quinnipiac offered him/her a full-ride, maybe the other school would offer a little more money to entice him/her. I'm getting into a lot of probably unnecessary hypotheticals but you see that it's pretty gray as opposed to black and white.

EDIT: I'll also add that our knee-jerk reaction as fellow applicants, and I'm very guilty of this, is to feel like others are being selfish to attend an interview when they aren't likely to attend if accepted, but I think it's worth pointing out that in this application game it's really our job to worry about our own best interests, as these are huge decisions we're making.
I agree with you mostly. I’m in no way saying OP is some kind of selfish jerk if they chose to attend the interview and I apologize if it came off that way. I would assume (I could be wrong) that most of us would pick the option that would benefit us most in the end at the cost of others, even if there’s is a very low chance of attaining that benefit (as is probably the case here). However, I am a big believer in helping others, at the cost of self sometimes, and I believe this is one situation where I would encourage someone else to be altruistic (again, not being altruistic doesn’t make you a jerk and honestly, doing what’s best for you is the normal thing and being altruistic is probably abnormal). At the end of the day OP, you’ve worked hard and also paid money for the application to be offered an interview so congrats and you deserve it 100%.

Reactions: 1 users
Having an acceptance, I have continued interviewing at other places to find the best fit for me. It's hard to say how you will like a school before seeing /meeting people there.

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning but will be withdrawing. I hope it goes to one of you! :)

Reactions: 9 users
II yesterday! My first II of the cycle (not counting phone II) :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
II yesterday, I turned it down as I already have an acceptance. LM~75. I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 8 users
Do any of y'all know Quinnipiac's average Step 1 score? I can't find that info anywhere.

Do any of y'all know Quinnipiac's average Step 1 score? I can't find that info anywhere.

Most schools don't release that info because they don't want to be forced to teach to the boards. Here's a better explanation^^^

Most schools don't release that info because they don't want to be forced to teach to the boards. Here's a better explanation^^^
Thanks for this information. Yeah it's unfortunate that Quinn (and some other schools) don't have this information available. I've been able to find reliable info for my two other acceptances... it'd be nice to have this as well for comparison purposes. Obviously it won't make or break my decision, but it's also nice to have another data point.

Has this school sent any pre-II R's? Silence since I was complete 8/2

Has this school sent any pre-II R's? Silence since I was complete 8/2

Submitted early September and Im in the same boat.

They have sent pre-II R's per the other thread that keeps track of schools who have sent them out.

Nope, I thought it would’ve been this week too.....
A few people from 11/18 heard back the week of, I heard back today. If it wasn’t today it should be in 2 weeks, the admissions dean was pretty adamant of wanting to keep it to 4 weeks. Whoever interviewed you has not presented you to the committee yet.

A few people from 11/18 heard back the week of, I heard back today. If it wasn’t today it should be in 2 weeks, the admissions dean was pretty adamant of wanting to keep it to 4 weeks. Whoever interviewed you has not presented you to the committee yet.
You heard back today?? With an acceptance??

Yes I got accepted, sorry I should have said that. I got an email at 9am, no phone call.
Amazing! Congratulations!! Womp womp hopefully it doesn’t mean anything if we haven’t heard back.

Amazing! Congratulations!! Womp womp hopefully it doesn’t mean anything if we haven’t heard back.
It doesn’t, he said that they will not make a decision without your interviewer presenting you. They must have been busy the last 2 meetings.

It doesn’t, he said that they will not make a decision without your interviewer presenting you. They must have been busy the last 2 meetings.
Just called the school. They said you would hear back regardless of the decision so guess it just means more waiting!

Accepted Friday! Super stoked, I really fell in love during the interview day. Everyone was so kind and every single person I interacted with there was great. Good luck everyone, if a goofball like me can get admitted there's hope for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users