2019-2020 Quinnipiac (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (150 words)

What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision? (100 words)

OPTIONAL: is there anything not captured in your application that you would like to share? (150 words)

REQUIRED: 150 words each

What non-academic advice would you give to your younger self?

Becoming a physician means dedicating yourself to a career of service. Discuss how you have cultivated a service mentality.

Physicians are often called upon to play a leadership role within a healthcare team. Give an example of how you have developed your leadership skills.

Discuss an experience you have undertaken outside your comfort zone and detail why you sought out this particular experience

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Quinnipiac University (coming soon!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about applying. This school looks really great from the website, and I think I'm a well-qualified applicant academically. However, every school has things that are really important to them, such as an interest in rural populations, community service, or an emphasis on research. I'm having a hard time really understanding what those qualities are for Quinnipiac. I was wondering if someone might comment on these less calculable qualifications.

Reactions: 2 users
Their main focus is on creating primary care physicians, particularly for rural areas. They are not research-heavy.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their main focus is on creating primary care physicians, particularly for rural areas. They are not research-heavy.
This is stellar. It’s totally a mission I’m on board with.

This is my top choice school. During the online open house - what I heard from the people, what I learned, what was discussed in private - top shelf, top choice (they also have a pretty good hockey team!)

Reactions: 5 users
This is my top choice school. During the online open house - what I heard from the people, what I learned, what was discussed in private - top shelf, top choice (they also have a pretty good hockey team!)
Would you be able to elaborate for us on what made it so excellent? :)

Reactions: 1 users
I knew they liked primary care, but I did not know they emphasized rural medicine. Is it bad if I mention my desire to practice urban primary care in the essay question about where we see our future career?

Reactions: 3 users
I knew they liked primary care, but I did not know they emphasized rural medicine. Is it bad if I mention my desire to practice urban primary care in the essay question about where we see our future career?
Hi there! I am a current student at Netter and I wouldn't say rural care is a part of their mission. They certainly value primary care, but our match lists cover a myriad of specialties and they encourage us to pursue whatever is of most interest to us! I am originally from an urban area, and talked about my desire to ultimately practice in such setting with obviously no issue :) Good luck with apps!!

Reactions: 6 users
One of my top choices too. Got my masters here and it would be awesome to go back!

Would you be able to elaborate for us on what made it so excellent? :)
Apologies for my delayed response - I've been, ahem, typing.

Quinni's people were warm, friendly, open to questions, fielded many questions without any hint of discrimination (I'm older). In private, I talked to one of the people and s/he was so thorough in explaining "how" to apply here and when (early, 1st day). In the 15 mins or so that I was in their "room" specifically, I watched other conversations and each individual was met with the same, "Come join us and see how you like us!" rather than, "How do we know we want you to come here" vibe I got elsewhere. Quinni felt inclusive though, at the end of the day, that does not equate to acceptance.

That is NOT to say the other schools were not polite, most were. It was just the warm, friendly vibe that seemed to exude off the page. WMU was similar but a little more "rigid" if you know what I mean. Still very friendly, very helpful... at the end though, Quinni went from "meh/maybe" to "OMGosh, this is my top choice"

Reactions: 8 users
Apologies for my delayed response - I've been, ahem, typing.

Quinni's people were warm, friendly, open to questions, fielded many questions without any hint of discrimination (I'm older). In private, I talked to one of the people and s/he was so thorough in explaining "how" to apply here and when (early, 1st day). In the 15 mins or so that I was in their "room" specifically, I watched other conversations and each individual was met with the same, "Come join us and see how you like us!" rather than, "How do we know we want you to come here" vibe I got elsewhere. Quinni felt inclusive though, at the end of the day, that does not equate to acceptance.

That is NOT to say the other schools were not polite, most were. It was just the warm, friendly vibe that seemed to exude off the page. WMU was similar but a little more "rigid" if you know what I mean. Still very friendly, very helpful... at the end though, Quinni went from "meh/maybe" to "OMGosh, this is my top choice"
Sounds awesome, here's to hoping I can interview here :)

Anyone gotten secondaries yet? If so, would you share? My application was verified a week and a half ago, but nothing yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone gotten secondaries yet? If so, would you share? My application was verified a week and a half ago, but nothing yet.

I'm still waiting as well. Verified two weeks ago. Not sweating yet though based on this thread's lack of movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
nothing yet, primary was verified 6/26

(Not a current applicant, but a waitlisted one.) This forum is a lot more active than last year's forum, so I'm hoping to get a couple of questions answered. Does QU rank their waitlist, and is their class filled already (class of 2023)?

Verified by first transmission and haven't gotten anything either, but it doesn't look like too many have yet!

Secondary received!

If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (150 words)

What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision? (100 words)

OPTIONAL: is there anything not captured in your application that you would like to share? (150 words)

Becoming a physician means dedicating yourself to a career of service. Discuss how you have cultivated a service mentality.

Physicians are often called upon to play a leadership role within a healthcare team. Give an example of how you have developed your leadership skills.

Discuss an experience you have undertaken outside your comfort zone and detail why you sought out this particular experience.

Reactions: 7 users
Secondary received!

Discuss an experience you have undertaken outside your comfort zone and detail why you sought out this particular experience.

Oh they changed o_O good thing I prewrote them

Is it worth submitting this one, if I am not strongly interested in primary care?

Oh Quinnipiac!
I worked really hard on the role model question from last year... and didn't do much on the "advice to your younger self" bc I wasn't going to use that one.

So with the 100 word limit on the "what area of medicine do you envision practicing medicine," I'm struggling to fit both a literal environment (urban) and a specialty. What do you guys think is more important to focus on? FWIW, my interest in a specific specialty has somewhat decent merit.

So with the 100 word limit on the "what area of medicine do you envision practicing medicine," I'm struggling to fit both a literal environment (urban) and a specialty. What do you guys think is more important to focus on? FWIW, my interest in a specific specialty has somewhat decent merit.
In my experience "area of medicine" means specialty.

"What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?" this is the exact prompt

taking this more as specialty

to everyone waiting on a secondary, we'll probably get them this upcoming week. (or so I tell myself)

Do you guys think it's appropriate to insert my diversity essay under the optional prompt ? -

"OPTIONAL: is there anything not captured in your application that you would like to share?"

Do you guys think it's appropriate to insert my diversity essay under the optional prompt ? -

"OPTIONAL: is there anything not captured in your application that you would like to share?"

If the info in your diversity essay has not been covered in any other part of your application, then yes. Go for it!

Secondary received!

Are all of these questions required or is it like last year where you pick 3 to answer?

Are all of these questions required or is it like last year where you pick 3 to answer?
They required us to answer everything this year. It wasn't great for me because I prewrote my essays using last year's prompts and none of them carried over exactly..

The question that has you describe a time when you sought out something outside of your comfort zone is so weird....like I don't know how much I can talk about WHY I tried something outside my comfort zone. It'd be a lot easier to discuss how you handled the experience once you were in it

Anyone know how strict they are on 2 semesters of inorganic chem with labs? MSAR said that they require 8 credits.

For instance, if my school’s premed sequence only has lab incorporated into one of the semesters that covers everything from intro to gen chem (8 credits total) do we think they would consider me?

Anyone know how strict they are on 2 semesters of inorganic chem with labs? MSAR said that they require 8 credits.

For instance, if my school’s premed sequence only has lab incorporated into one of the semesters that covers everything from intro to gen chem (8 credits total) do we think they would consider me?

should call tbh

It sounds like you have two 3-credit hour lectures, and then one 2-credit hour lab? If so, it is likely fine, but double-checking with the school is your best source of info.

+1

Got my secondary. They changed every prompt.