2019-2020 Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I think you should cater it to your research interests even if they aren’t “biomedical” in a traditional sense.

That's what I was thinking. Would be strange if my responses to the other 5 secondary questions as well as my primary all talked about health policy, communications, and public health research, but then randomly started talking about the biological mechanisms Alzheimer's or the likes, for 200 words lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
MSTP applicants, when you enter your average research hours/week for a research experience from undergrad, do you average your hours/week in the summer with your hours/wk in the academic year?

Yea...still no secondary...at what point do I reach out? I know it’s still July and I know they send it out to everyone but wondering if there was any error.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea...still no secondary...at what point do I reach out? I know it’s still July and I know they send it out to everyone but wondering if there was any error.
If it helps, the one school I don't have a secondary from but everyone else does, I will be reaching out to them next friday as it will have been a month since transmission. Hope that helps.

Feels good to have submitted the MSTP app. 23/23 secondaries complete, now time to wait ...

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
If it helps, the one school I don't have a secondary from but everyone else does, I will be reaching out to them next friday as it will have been a month since transmission. Hope that helps.

yea I'll probably go ahead and do that. I'll wait until the end of the week to see if I get anything and then probably reach out

Feels good to have submitted the MSTP app. 23/23 secondaries complete, now time to wait ...

Hey pBar when you submitted your MSTP secondary, did you also get a link to their status portal and not see anything about the progress of your application? Kinda confused why they use two different portals....

Reactions: 1 users
Hey pBar when you submitted your MSTP secondary, did you also get a link to their status portal and not see anything about the progress of your application? Kinda confused why they use two different portals....
Yeah I did and can not seem to find information on the status of the app. I'm going to chalk it up to the system just opening for MSTP applicants and was going to wait a few days before I started thinking too hard about it. As long as you got the email confirming payment and submission I wouldn't be too worried.

Reactions: 2 users
MSTP applicants, when you enter your average research hours/week for a research experience from undergrad, do you average your hours/week in the summer with your hours/wk in the academic year?

I just decided to average everything over the summers and academic years into one entry.. it seemed weird to separate a continuous experience into 5 different entries for each year and each summer

I just decided to average everything over the summers and academic years into one entry.. it seemed weird to separate a continuous experience into 5 different entries for each year and each summer
Same.

I just went into my MSTP portal and it updated to showing my application as complete & under review. Looks like it just takes a day or two.

I just went into my MSTP portal and it updated to showing my application as complete & under review. Looks like it just takes a day or two.
How did you check your MSTP app? The link it sends me to just has the Online Payment Receipt and says "Your application was successfully submitted and the fee was waived." Is this the same website I will see updates on, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Members don't see this ad :)

+1

How did you check your MSTP app? The link it sends me to just has the Online Payment Receipt and says "Your application was successfully submitted and the fee was waived." Is this the same website I will see updates on, or am I looking in the wrong place?

The same website that they sent you to complete the secondary

finally under holistic review (it took awhile after i submitted the app so don't worry guys if you still don't have that checkmark yet!)

finally in hOlisTIQUE review!! complete 07/16

My status changed from Thank You! to this today. But I don’t see anything else different on the page and no II email. Anyone else seeing this? Or have any idea what this means?

View attachment 274928
My status changed from Thank You! to this today. But I don’t see anything else different on the page and no II email. Anyone else seeing this? Or have any idea what this means?
I think it means they verified your letters etc and your application is complete.

View attachment 274928
I have that as well. Probably just means we are done being reviewed and they will contact us after their Invite committees or whatever meet.

Mine is like that as well, and says "Congratulations." But I still haven't gotten the check mark for "in holistic review" yet. Have you guys reached that point already?

Mine is like that as well, and says "Congratulations." But I still haven't gotten the check mark for "in holistic review" yet. Have you guys reached that point already?
I have been in holistic review for a few weeks. It is likely that the holistic review check mark is just to verify that they are actively reviewing your documents and the congratulations is probably just a new thing to indicate that you are complete. My guess is they have been getting a lot of neurotic emails asking if they are complete, so they put a "you are complete" congrats in there.

Welcome all! I invite all neurotic people to help me out here. So northwestern says its 8/4 currently on their app. like where it says current date and you cant switch it. When you go to submit you can switch the date to 8/5. so like what does i do. do i a) look like i possess the power of time travel and submit and change the date or b) wait till it switches to 8/5

Welcome all! I invite all neurotic people to help me out here. So northwestern says its 8/4 currently on their app. like where it says current date and you cant switch it. When you go to submit you can switch the date to 8/5. so like what does i do. do i a) look like i possess the power of time travel and submit and change the date or b) wait till it switches to 8/5
Bruh....just click it.

Bruh....just click it.
click what my dude. also just realized that i cant pick 8/5 on the submit page because they forget to acknowledge us east coasters that wait till midnight to submit
UPDATE: Have committed a crime. submitted it even though it said 8/4. pls spare me northwestern

Last edited by a moderator:
click what my dude. also just realized that i cant pick 8/5 on the submit page because they forget to acknowledge us east coasters that wait till midnight to submit
UPDATE: Have committed a crime. submitted it even though it said 8/4. pls spare me northwestern
Click the submit was what I was getting at. Now that you have done it, how do you get back...TO THE FUTURE!

Actually, the MSTP prompts are slightly different from last year.

MSTP Prompts (all 200 words):

1) Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you?

2) Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had.

3) Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it.

4) (If applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.
For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application.

5) Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community.

6) What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it?

@PapaGuava

Hopefully public health rsch counts towards a "scientific paper"

Hopefully public health rsch counts towards a "scientific paper"
It should, as long as a rigorous scientific method was used. I discussed a health policy paper discussing the enrollment outcomes of medicare beneficiaries in CMMI funded palliative programs. As long as you can relate the paper's significance back to yourself, I don't think public health is an issue at all!

It should, as long as a rigorous scientific method was used. I discussed a health policy paper discussing the enrollment outcomes of medicare beneficiaries in CMMI funded palliative programs. As long as you can relate the paper's significance back to yourself, I don't think public health is an issue at all!

thanks for this! I decided to relate back to a grand rounds I recently attended and how it drew me towards studying a newer theoretical approach to health care in the american journal of PH. WE'LL SEE. I like it enough to keep it. I think it really ties into the work I'd like to do

definitely stumped on the unanswered research question one.

For MSTP applicants with AAMC FAP, did you email Northwestern to waive the secondary application fee? Thanks!

For MSTP applicants with AAMC FAP, did you email Northwestern to waive the secondary application fee? Thanks!

I don't have FAP but I did have a separate waiver, and I emailed the med school to have them add it to my portal, which took them ~3 business days.

I don't have FAP but I did have a separate waiver, and I emailed the med school to have them add it to my portal, which took them ~3 business days.
Thanks! Another question: can you submit before receiving the waiver?

Thanks! Another question: can you submit before receiving the waiver?

No, they say that if you submit it without the waiver, they can't reimburse you for the fee.