2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m allergic and my grandma had a really mean cat... PTSD
I promise this one is nice!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I’m allergic and my grandma had a really mean cat... PTSD
Ah, so that would make sense. Honestly, I always had bad allergies around cats, but I rescued the larger one, Simba, from a bad situation and the little one, Otter, I found on the side of the road in a bag! People are so cruel sometimes! So they kind of had to come home with me, I felt obligated to be their mother.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what happens when all the secondaries are completed and now we are waiting for IIs.... :laugh: I love seeing all the cats! (I also have dogs and axolotls)

This is what happens when all the secondaries are completed and now we are waiting for IIs.... :laugh: I love seeing all the cats! (I also have dogs and axolotls)
I have dogs and horses but tbh my cat was the most photogenic!

Reactions: 1 user
It's turned to a pet thread!

It's turned to a pet thread!
I mean I’ve already decided that no matter where I get into med school my cat is coming with me so he’s basically apart of this journey too!

Reactions: 2 users
I am LIVING for this pet thread. Might as well occupy ourselves with something fun while Idaho processes our applications. Can we get some axolotl pics? I got to babysit one for a summer when I was a kid. I loved it! He was so cuddly for an amphibian. He loved to be held and pet-he'd even rub up against my hand like a cat sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am LIVING for this pet thread. Might as well occupy ourselves with something fun while Idaho processes our applications. Can we get some axolotl pics? I got to babysit one for a summer when I was a kid. I loved it! He was so cuddly for an amphibian. He loved to be held and pet-he'd even rub up against my hand like a cat sometimes.
Of course! This is Mowgli! He was regenerating a foot and a gill when I got him!

And this is Cousin It (so named because we can't sex "it" until he/she is 9 months old) The physician I work for gave me Cousin It after her daughter brought home too many axolotls from school!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I mean I’ve already decided that no matter where I get into med school my cat is coming with me so he’s basically apart of this journey too!
I swear, that is the only thing about this whole med school process that I am worried about. I applied to mostly schools in the south and west (I'm from the northeast) so I'm super nervous about when it comes time to move how everything will go with all my pets!

Of course! This is Mowgli! He was regenerating a foot and a gill when I got him!
View attachment 274031
And this is Cousin It (so named because we can't sex "it" until he/she is 9 months old) The physician I work for gave me Cousin It after her daughter brought home too many axolotls from school!
View attachment 274033

OMG I LOVE THEM. The little one is so cute, I only ever had adult axolotls in school. It looks like Mowgli enjoys being held and cuddled, too!

OMG I LOVE THEM. The little one is so cute, I only ever had adult axolotls in school. It looks like Mowgli enjoys being held and cuddled, too!
He is literally the sassiest thing you will ever meet. He does this thing where he swims up really quickly to the top of his tank and if someone isn't there within 5-10 seconds with either food or a hand to climb on he will slowly start floating down on top of this little barrel we have in the tank and then he will hide in it until we lure him out with food. Pretty sure he's just being a teenager! lol

Caught him mid-temper tantrum one time! I call this the "nobody understand me!" picture because he then proceeded to go into the barrel until I got him food.

I swear, that is the only thing about this whole med school process that I am worried about. I applied to mostly schools in the south and west (I'm from the northeast) so I'm super nervous about when it comes time to move how everything will go with all my pets!
You'll be fine. I'm originally from CA and 7 years ago, drove with my wife + 1 dog + 2 cats to the southeast then back to CA for her residency with 3 cats ;) .

You'll be fine. I'm originally from CA and 7 years ago, drove with my wife + 1 dog + 2 cats to the southeast then back to CA for her residency with 3 cats ;) .
But with two dogs, two cats, and two axolotls? lol It certainly is going to be....interesting!

But with two dogs, two cats, and two axolotls? lol It certainly is going to be....interesting!
Haha. We had one huge crate and put our dog and two cats in it since they grew up together. Lap dog??? Two cars?

I'm an Idaho resident and I got the confirmation email 7/1 but still no secondary and I'm getting worried :/ 3.98 GPA and 513 MCAT
Update: I emailed admissions and they said they are busy with orientation for the incoming class, but they reviewed my application and are planning on sending me a secondary this week.

Reactions: 3 users
Update: I emailed admissions and they said they are busy with orientation for the incoming class, but they reviewed my application and are planning on sending me a secondary this week.
Sorry, this is no longer the Idaho thread. Now we only discuss dogs, cats, and axolotls. Please include a photo of one of the specified creatures or you will be voted off the island.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
We also have a running joke in my family that Otter announces when spring is coming because this is what he does when he sees birds flying...

• Haha
Guys.... going to pull away from the pet thread real quick (sorry!) Hopefully since they said they are focused on orientation this week, we will hear some news next week!

Sorry to distract from the cat pictures... but just updating for anyone still waiting. I submitted 7/1 and received a secondary today!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
BA884F7C-1C66-4CB1-8399-223BE0FAC4E6.jpeg

My boys approve of this wonderful pet thread

• Love
I really cannot wait for next year's cycle when people try and look for a timeline and all they see are animal photos

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Saw 15 pages on thread and thought there was a mass interview invite release. Saw cute pets instead. Not even mad

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone else see ICOM's Instagram story about OMS-IIs showing incoming OMS-Is what NOT to wear to lecture? Super sad that I can't wear a leopard onesie to lecture if I get into ICOM, but I guess I'll have to manage.

Did anyone else see ICOM's Instagram story about OMS-IIs showing incoming OMS-Is what NOT to wear to lecture? Super sad that I can't wear a leopard onesie to lecture if I get into ICOM, but I guess I'll have to manage.
Link???

Is that for real? There is a dress code for lecture?
From their handbook,
"Students must maintain a professional appearance. Professional attire must be maintained
whenever the student is on the campus and on all clinical experiences or rotations. Students must
be professionally dressed for all lectures and examinations and appropriate dress for laboratory,
classes, or workshops."

• Wow
  • Sad
From their handbook,
"Students must maintain a professional appearance. Professional attire must be maintained
whenever the student is on the campus and on all clinical experiences or rotations. Students must
be professionally dressed for all lectures and examinations and appropriate dress for laboratory,
classes, or workshops."
A lot of schools (especially DOs it seems to me) have a dress code of at least business cas while on campus. One of my friend's schools has a similar code-she says the only annoying thing is she never uses the school library on weekends because she doesn't want to get dressed up just to study.