2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sad to see they silence your voice, what did you say exactly?
Since like May last year I've been meme-ing them and calling them out on the MCAT's discrimination towards lower SES students. What I said to get blocked? No idea.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
sooo.. we have to pay around $50 for the background check and $26 for the myrecordtracker right?...

sooo.. we have to pay around $50 for the background check and $26 for the myrecordtracker right?...
Yes, the process will cost a few cause you also need to do that training which costs a handful and testing/vaccines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some miracle happened and I got accepted! I was wondering if there are any students, more specifically third years, that are willing to get in touch with me so I can ask some questions about the school and rotations.
You find any third years to talk to?

The AAMC MCAT Twitter account blocked me for speaking up about the high cost of the MCAT. How's y'all's day?
i saw that on twitter lol iconiccccc
but literally the AAMC is the ultimate scam
my days going great, my parents decided to sell their house and move across the country a month before I move to medical school so I get to move not once but twice 🙂 how about the rest of y'all

Reactions: 1 users
My interview with ICOM went very well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much of my interview focused on what I have been doing since undergrad, some of my research, and my MBA degree. I felt like they took the time to really go through my application and that they put thought/effort into their questions. We ended up going almost 10 minutes over our allotted time. I am hoping that's a good sign.

During my interview we talked at length about the concurrent MHA program ICOM has set up with Idaho State University (ISU). This was brought up by my interviewer as they thought I would be a great fit for it. For those of you considering doing a masters while in med school, I encourage you to look into this. The classes are split up over 2.5 years so there is no additional time beyond your DO degree. Also, because you're working towards a medical degree, some of the courses are waived for the MHA degree. You will have to apply to this program separately after your 1st semester at ICOM. And, if you have a MBA like myself, there's the potential for even more MHA courses to be waived.

Could any current students tell me about how private loans are working for them since ICOM students can't get federal loans yet?

My interview with ICOM went very well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much of my interview focused on what I have been doing since undergrad, some of my research, and my MBA degree. I felt like they took the time to really go through my application and that they put thought/effort into their questions. We ended up going almost 10 minutes over our allotted time. I am hoping that's a good sign.

During my interview we talked at length about the concurrent MHA program ICOM has set up with Idaho State University (ISU). This was brought up by my interviewer as they thought I would be a great fit for it. For those of you considering doing a masters while in med school, I encourage you to look into this. The classes are split up over 2.5 years so there is no additional time beyond your DO degree. Also, because you're working towards a medical degree, some of the courses are waived for the MHA degree. You will have to apply to this program separately after your 1st semester at ICOM. And, if you have a MBA like myself, there's the potential for even more MHA courses to be waived.

Super excited to do this MPH later.

Got an II for the waitlist this afternoon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m so confused about this interviewing for the WL. How many people end up on these waitlists, and how many actually get off? I feel like there must be hundreds on the waitlist now. (This goes for several programs, not just ICOM)

I’m so confused about this interviewing for the WL. How many people end up on these waitlists, and how many actually get off? I feel like there must be hundreds on the waitlist now. (This goes for several programs, not just ICOM)
70ish people came off the waitlist last year - that’s what they said during my interview.

My interview with ICOM went very well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much of my interview focused on what I have been doing since undergrad, some of my research, and my MBA degree. I felt like they took the time to really go through my application and that they put thought/effort into their questions.
ICOM was my only pleasant interview so far. They made me feel 100% at home and this low stress environment allowed me to be genuinely myself. So refreshing, but it did nothing to prepare me for other interviews, it’s been brutal since - haha.

Reactions: 4 users
70ish people came off the waitlist last year - that’s what they said during my interview.

Thank you! Hoping that number holds true for this cycle. My optimism is tempered since at my interview they said they had ~142 acceptances out already

I might be since that is my minor and I want to do some public health stuff alongside being a normal physician.

I might be since that is my minor and I want to do some public health stuff alongside being a normal physician.
They offer both a MHA and MPH concurrently. I’m really interested in the MHA as some of my MBA courses can also be transferred over, which would cut out 3-4 courses :)

Does anyone have more insight into what the ICOM ShaDOw event is tomorrow? I just got a text for it and I want to attend but I will be at work /:

WL today

My interview went well. There probably wasn't much of a chance I'd get an A given how late it is.

Last edited:
No but if it’s anything like last year, July 26
First day of class will probably be August 2nd, the first Monday of August. Your orientation will probably start on Wednesday, July 28th. The first day of classes has historically been the first Monday of August. Last year the first years started on August 3rd.

Rejected Today, actually it's my first rejection
LM 65, OOS
one of my interviewers made it conversational, the other shot my ethical questions the whole interview

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
First day of class will probably be August 2nd, the first Monday of August. Your orientation will probably start on Wednesday, July 28th. The first day of classes has historically been the first Monday of August. Last year the first years started on August 3rd.
Oh you’re right my bad. I said the orientation day haha.

WL today

My interview went well. There probably wasn't much of a chance I'd get an A given how late it is.
my interview invite explicitly said it was for a WL position so I am assuming thats the case for most interviews at this point.

I’d feel safe assuming its WL interviews at this point. In late jan I interviewed and they told me it was only APS and WL then. And they seem to be interviewing a lot.

Your invite might not have said it, but like solo said, at this point it’s still probably a WL interview especially considering new invites are explicitly saying as such.

On average,18% more people applied to med school this year. Some programs are seeing an increase in applications of 20%+. Because interviews are virtual, many more are being granted and attended. This results in students hoarding II and acceptances. Add this up and you have one of the most competitive application cycles on record, if not in history.

Being waitlisted feels like you're ALMOST good enough but you're just an inch short of crossing the finish line.

On average,18% more people applied to med school this year. Some programs are seeing an increase in applications of 20%+. Because interviews are virtual, many more are being granted and attended. This results in students hoarding II and acceptances. Add this up and you have one of the most competitive application cycles on record, if not in history.

Being waitlisted feels like you're ALMOST good enough but you're just an inch short of crossing the finish line.

I’m with you - all WLs so far.

I’m at 4 WLs post-II and 5 WLs pre-II....some may call me the WL King
Bow to the King!

I’m with you - all WLs so far.

WL today

Keep your heads up... I have a feeling there's going to be a big shake-up in April. Lots of people sitting on multiple A's currently I bet. I know it doesn't make the wait any easier, but this cycle is just insane, virtual hugs all around, get that self-care in.

• Care
Y'all current admits who plan on going, how are we planning to pay for food? Technically you can only take out on loans what the COA gives you and last I checked, 14,416 is not enough to eat/live with??

Ranking for waitlist emailed to me this morning with a HIGH ranking. Hopefully some movement happens soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my waitlist ranking.... I've been placed on the medium waitlist :( The email says there are 3 levels (high, medium and low) and they expect to have 150 students on the waitlist so 50 per tier. I would need at least 50 students to give up their seat and 100 at most to get an acceptance. Realistically do i even have a shot here? I can't see 100 accepted students giving up there seat between now and the summer... especially with how competitive this cycle is.

• Care
Just got my waitlist ranking.... I've been placed on the medium waitlist :( The email says there are 3 levels (high, medium and low) and they expect to have 150 students on the waitlist so 50 per tier. I would need at least 50 students to give up their seat and 100 at most to get an acceptance. Realistically do i even have a shot here? I can't see 100 accepted students giving up there seat between now and the summer... especially with how competitive this cycle is.
I remember hearing that in the 2019-2020 cycle 75 or so students were pulled off the waitlist. And I highly doubt every student that was extended an acceptance offer took it as they likely had other options too - so I wouldn't lose hope!!

Last edited:
medium waitlist for me as well! I think they said in my interview 70ish came off the waitlist last year? haven’t lost hope yet

Y'all current admits who plan on going, how are we planning to pay for food? Technically you can only take out on loans what the COA gives you and last I checked, 14,416 is not enough to eat/live with??
That’s only for rent!

I’m over here in my measley middle tier like 🧐

And I thought I was sitting pretty earlier with my WL! This process is the most humbling thing haha and continues to reaffirm that ol' saying that 'comparison is the thief of joy'

High WL rank!!!! Feeling super thankful but also a little anxious. What do you all think about chances this year of moving off the High WL? I’m trying to be optimistic here but I know things will probably be different this year and am hoping to hear back sooner than later!

High WL rank!!!! Feeling super thankful but also a little anxious. What do you all think about chances this year of moving off the High WL? I’m trying to be optimistic here but I know things will probably be different this year and am hoping to hear back sooner than later!
Congratulations! I think it's likely we'll get an acceptance offer on the HWL! As looking on previous threads, plus what they shared on II Day, they accept more or less 70 people off the waitlist and there are 150 of us. In any case, wishing you luck!