2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all current admits who plan on going, how are we planning to pay for food? Technically you can only take out on loans what the COA gives you and last I checked, 14,416 is not enough to eat/live with??
Buying my own food and cooking (also so I do not get out of shape and because eating out costs a ton). Anyone is down to learn some recipes from me and I want to try to get some BBQ days for the class if possible. As for food costs, time to use my savings :cautious:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Buying my own food and cooking (also so I do not get out of shape and because eating out costs a ton). Anyone is down to learn some recipes from me and I want to try to get some BBQ days for the class if possible. As for food costs, time to use my savings :cautious:
We’re gonna meal prep cuz icoms got a nice kitchen to warm stuff up in

Reactions: 3 users
They do? If so let's do it!! Yes meal prep is key seeing that we can not afford to waste too much time cooking every day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview yesterday,3/1. I did get an email saying the interview would be for the WL but it wasn’t talked about at the end of the interview day. When we get the decision back it’s for the WL ranking? Same thing happen to others?

I had my interview yesterday,3/1. I did get an email saying the interview would be for the WL but it wasn’t talked about at the end of the interview day. When we get the decision back it’s for the WL ranking? Same thing happen to others?
Decisions usually come out on Fridays. Don’t think it’ll be any different with WL as it has to do with when the adcom meets.

Does anyone know if ICOM accepts update letters? I have something significant I would like the committee to know about but don't want to email a letter and annoy them 😅

Does anyone know if ICOM accepts update letters? I have something significant I would like the committee to know about but don't want to email a letter and annoy them 😅
For sure, especially since the waitlist ranking is out now

• Love
Could any current students tell me about how private loans are working for them since ICOM students can't get federal loans yet?
I actually prefer them. My interest rate is significantly lower than the federal rate (which will save me about 200k in the long haul). I went through Sallie Mae. Also, a ton of my classmates did the HPSP scholarship if that's something that you are interested in.

Y'all current admits who plan on going, how are we planning to pay for food? Technically you can only take out on loans what the COA gives you and last I checked, 14,416 is not enough to eat/live with??
The way Im doing it is I have some money save to help supplement each month, my bf is helping with living expenses cause we r moving out together and then my parents said they would help supplement a couple hundred each month for the first year or 2. Other than that we will be living off of cup of noodles and pb and j's lol

So I got an interview for a waitlist position. So if I understand correctly— after the interview they’ll let me know how I am ranked on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got an interview for a waitlist position. So if I understand correctly— after the interview they’ll let me know how I am ranked on the waitlist?
Yes.i interviewed on 3/1 and got my waitlist ranking today. Pretty quick turnaround time.

Oh, I love this! I love checking into this page every once in a while and y'all's energy keeps me going here at school. Anyways, to be brutally honest with you guys, medical students are usually not known for their abundance of wealth during school........It is 100% possible to live on the amount that you are allowed in the COA. Yes, I realize, that there is not a specific "food" category (it's the room/board and personal expenses combined) but most COA's don't have a specific line for just food.

Food, rent, gas, phone, internet, all of the necessities are more than possible with the amount that is given to you. No, you don't have to live on Ramen each and every day, although some choose to do that. It's all about living within your means. Yeah, that's right, you probably cannot afford to eat out every single day and yeah, you probably cannot afford to be buying a brand new car at the same time you're going through school. You will need to adjust your life and be careful about living on a budget, but it's not too terribly difficult to live within your means. I promise you that if you make a reasonable budget, and abide by it, you will be surprised that for one thing, you are not going to be starving, secondly, you actually can afford to go to Chipotle or Chick-Fil-A on occasion, and even have a celebratory dinner after a great score on an exam here and there. Y'all can do it, don't stress too much! Always try to remember what a WANT and a NEED is while you are in school. You guys are going to be so awesome and we cannot wait to see you here!

Reactions: 5 users
Oh, I love this! I love checking into this page every once in a while and y'all's energy keeps me going here at school. Anyways, to be brutally honest with you guys, medical students are usually not known for their abundance of wealth during school........It is 100% possible to live on the amount that you are allowed in the COA. Yes, I realize, that there is not a specific "food" category (it's the room/board and personal expenses combined) but most COA's don't have a specific line for just food.

Food, rent, gas, phone, internet, all of the necessities are more than possible with the amount that is given to you. No, you don't have to live on Ramen each and every day, although some choose to do that. It's all about living within your means. Yeah, that's right, you probably cannot afford to eat out every single day and yeah, you probably cannot afford to be buying a brand new car at the same time you're going through school. You will need to adjust your life and be careful about living on a budget, but it's not too terribly difficult to live within your means. I promise you that if you make a reasonable budget, and abide by it, you will be surprised that for one thing, you are not going to be starving, secondly, you actually can afford to go to Chipotle or Chick-Fil-A on occasion, and even have a celebratory dinner after a great score on an exam here and there. Y'all can do it, don't stress too much! Always try to remember what a WANT and a NEED is while you are in school. You guys are going to be so awesome and we cannot wait to see you here!
This is a lot more comforting, thank you so much!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 2/23 and was on high rank wait list

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone know how long people have to put their deposits down if they’re accepted off the waitlist?

Anyone know how long people have to put their deposits down if they’re accepted off the waitlist?
That depends on how late into the cycle you are accepted. Early on in like Oct/Nov. then sometimes they will give you a month or so. If you are accepted right around now-ish its probably a 2 week deadline to submit the deposit. If you are accepted in like May or later, like right before school starts, they will most likely require an immediate deposit.

That depends on how late into the cycle you are accepted. Early on in like Oct/Nov. then sometimes they will give you a month or so. If you are accepted right around now-ish its probably a 2 week deadline to submit the deposit. If you are accepted in like May or later, like right before school starts, they will most likely require an immediate deposit.
Thanks! Hoping the shorter deadlines now makes for faster movement for WL people like me

Reactions: 2 users
For those that attended accepted students day yesterday, were you asked to turn your cameras on?

For those that attended accepted students day yesterday, were you asked to turn your cameras on?
Hey! No there wasn’t even an option to turn them on and you’re automatically muted as well. They did a raffle for mugs and T-shirts’ at the end of the session so stay for the whole program if you want a chance at free swag!

Hey! No there wasn’t even an option to turn them on and you’re automatically muted as well. They did a raffle for mugs and T-shirts’ at the end of the session so stay for the whole program if you want a chance at free swag!
OOoh heck yeah, I'm attending tomorrow!

Interviewed this past Monday, highest tier waitlist decision about an hour ago

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any tips for interview? Any curveball questions? I have mine coming up in 2 days!

Anyone have any tips for interview? Any curveball questions? I have mine coming up in 2 days!
My interview was very catered to my file and they asked specific questions about my degree and volunteering and it was more conversational than other interviews. I was asked some ethical questions but overall very easy going and honestly very pleasant.

lol catch me watching this in my pjs in bed

I never really even got asked about my interests in ICOM. They mostly asked me if I really understood the sacrifices I was making and then Dr. Coffey asked me about my research and we chatted generally about quite a few things.

When I was planning on attending here the fin aid office said if you take out max loans you end up with around 22,000 to live on. Did that change?

When I was planning on attending here the fin aid office said if you take out max loans you end up with around 22,000 to live on. Did that change?
Nah, I'm just hyperaware of how little money we have haha. Most student docs tho have confirmed it's plenty.

anyone here doing HPSP? What were the physical requirements?

Anyone have an idea of what the odds are of being able to stay in the meridian/Boise area for all four years?

Anyone have an idea of what the odds are of being able to stay in the meridian/Boise area for all four years?
Very low. There’s only a few rotation spots. The school says to not count on or expect it unless you went to high school at Boise.

Very low. There’s only a few rotation spots. The school says to not count on or expect it unless you went to high school at Boise.
There are about 40 spots in Boise/Meridian.

Accepted today! They called me and my mom and I were both bawling on the other end :')
See you all soon!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted folks who plan to attend - message me for the link to our CO 25' Discord chat!!