2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt is posted below.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary Prompt:

#1. Why did you apply to ICOM?

#2. If you are a re-applicant to ICOM, how have you improved our application? If this does not apply to you, answer N/A.

#3. Without using the word "holistic", describe in your own words: What is osteopathic medicine as you understand it?

Last edited:
Are they screening primary applications prior to giving secondary applications this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing, do you know roughly when they sent out secondaries last year?
Based off of last cycles thread looks like they got them pretty soon after submitting their primaries!

Reactions: 1 user
I did get an email saying they had received it, but that it could take up to 6-8 weeks before receiving a secondary. I think that its a general form letter, so we'll just have to wait and see how quickly they get around to it.

I did get an email saying they had received it, but that it could take up to 6-8 weeks before receiving a secondary. I think that its a general form letter, so we'll just have to wait and see how quickly they get around to it.
Yep same here!

Same.

+1 Today.

So... the secondary is weird for this one. Does anyone know how to write these essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received and submitted. Prompts are same as last year, I believe.

#2. If you are a re-applicant to ICOM, how have you improved our application? If this does not apply to you, answer N/A.

#3. Without using the word "holistic", describe in your own words: What is osteopathic medicine as you understand it?

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received and submitted. Prompts are same as last year, I believe.

Thanks!

@PapaGuava

I don't think this was ever answered. Does anyone know if they screen/have automatic cutoffs?
I’m assuming they have some sort of screen because I got that email last week but then got a secondary today

I don't think this was ever answered. Does anyone know if they screen/have automatic cutoffs?

From initial email:

"The next step involves us reviewing your application to determine if an invitation for secondary application will be sent. This process can take 6-8 weeks and ICOM will let you know if there is any documentation missing that may aid us in our decision. "

From their site:

"6. All primary applications received through AACOMAS will receive an initial screening by ICOM Admission personnel. Applicants who meet all admissions requirements will be invited to submit the Secondary Application* and supporting documents. Please note that, although all initial applications will be screened, admission to medical school is highly competitive and not all applicants will receive the invitation to submit a secondary application. "

So apparently they do screen.

Reactions: 1 users
From initial email:

"The next step involves us reviewing your application to determine if an invitation for secondary application will be sent. This process can take 6-8 weeks and ICOM will let you know if there is any documentation missing that may aid us in our decision. "

From their site:

"6. All primary applications received through AACOMAS will receive an initial screening by ICOM Admission personnel. Applicants who meet all admissions requirements will be invited to submit the Secondary Application* and supporting documents. Please note that, although all initial applications will be screened, admission to medical school is highly competitive and not all applicants will receive the invitation to submit a secondary application. "

So apparently they do screen.
If I remember correctly, on the website they describe what a "competitive" applicant is though they don't explicitly state that that is the cut-off.

I am certain they do look at your primaries because I got a follow-up email asking for a copy for proof of citizenship since I am a dual citizen. The only way they would know this at this point is if they looked at the primary.

Good luck everyone. I was accepted this last cycle and although I choose to attend a different school I loved ICOM!

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary finished and marked complete! Fingers crossed

I have still yet to receive my secondary although I received the email stating that ICOM had received my primary, one week ago. Should I be concerned that I haven't gotten the secondary yet? Does this mean I have been screened out?

I have still yet to receive my secondary although I received the email stating that ICOM had received my primary, one week ago. Should I be concerned that I haven't gotten the secondary yet? Does this mean I have been screened out?
I would give it more time since they said it could take 6-8 weeks! I’m sure you’ll be good

I would give it more time since they said it could take 6-8 weeks! I’m sure you’ll be good

Thank you for the reassurance! I guess I was just panicking as the initial wave of supplementals went out haha.

Is it worth applying here as a student from the Midwest?

How do I release my CASPER score to ICOM? They aren't listed on the CASPER website but ask about it on the secondary.

How do I release my CASPER score to ICOM? They aren't listed on the CASPER website but ask about it on the secondary.

Had the same issue, decided not to bother with it. Didn’t want the risk of my app being held up while they sorted it out.

For the secondary prompt about your understanding of Osteopathic Medicine, I'm not sure if I should write from an active stance (about my experiences with DOs) or simply answer the question with a straight forward explanation of what osteopathic medicine means to me. Can anyone provide a little advice about how they considered this question? Thanks and good luck to all!

I spoke to an ICOM representative yesterday who told me that they are currently in the process of getting ICOM added to the CASPer site. When it is added, we will be able to release our scores.

So whoever submitter their secondaries.. did you get a confirmation email? Because I am not even sure if I submitted mine correctly and I did not get any confirmation other than my payment which was 2 different pages.

So whoever submitter their secondaries.. did you get a confirmation email? Because I am not even sure if I submitted mine correctly and I did not get any confirmation other than my payment which was 2 different pages.

I submitted my secondary on the evening of 6/25, and early the next morning I received an email saying that my app was complete and moved to final review.

I submitted my secondary on the evening of 6/25, and early the next morning I received an email saying that my app was complete and moved to final review.
gotcha, okay thats good. I thought i made a mistake but if you did not get an email right away than thats good.

I see releasing the CASPer score is optional - do I release mine or not? Anyone have input on this?

I see releasing the CASPer score is optional - do I release mine or not? Anyone have input on this?
I believe the general advice is if it’s optional not to release it as you have no idea how you did and it could hurt your application without you even knowing it.

I believe the general advice is if it’s optional not to release it as you have no idea how you did and it could hurt your application without you even knowing it.
Good idea. I'll pass on it.

Does anyone have any insight into how long these essays should be? I am at a loss with no limit or minimum.

Also, does anyone have anything they want to share about why they applied to ICOM? The website is pretty sparse.

• Sad
Does anyone have any insight into how long these essays should be? I am at a loss with no limit or minimum.

Also, does anyone have anything they want to share about why they applied to ICOM? The website is pretty sparse.

This is just what I'm doing but I'm using my min word limit around 250 since that's the lowest max I've received from other school's secondaries and 500ish as the max. That's also how my essays have naturally flowed though, so I would focus more on writing everything you want to say and then work on editing to fit a word count after. As long as it's not ridiculously short or long you should be fine.

As for why ICOM idk what good advice I could give except to keep going through their website and see if anything about their mission or values resonates with you.

Good luck!

To those asking about secondary screening: yes, they screen. I got an email saying that they were putting me on hold pending my most recent MCAT score release. If they did an automatic cutoff, I imagine they would have just sent me the secondary.

To those asking about secondary screening: yes, they screen. I got an email saying that they were putting me on hold pending my most recent MCAT score release. If they did an automatic cutoff, I imagine they would have just sent me the secondary.

I have not received this email although I know that they received my primary. Still yet to receive a secondary from them, should I be worried?

I have not received this email although I know that they received my primary. Still yet to receive a secondary from them, should I be worried?
I am in the same boat. I'd give it a little bit before you start to worry!

Do we have a portal to access our status for this school? Or just mainly look for emails regarding status/communication?

Do we have a portal to access our status for this school? Or just mainly look for emails regarding status/communication?

No portal, just email communications henceforth.