2019-2020 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't even catch the "with respect to its demographics" part. Whatevs, talking about the military being both fraternal and engulfed in toxic masculinity should gimme some brownie points?
Ya i mean tbh I really don't have anything else to write about so I'm just gonna go with sports. That's what Duke gets for asking not 1 but 4 dumb questions in their secondary each with 500 word limits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ya i mean tbh I really don't have anything else to write about so I'm just gonna go with sports. That's what Duke gets for asking not 1 but 4 dumb questions in their secondary each with 500 word limits.

Ladies and gents, we’ve got a board-flipper.

Nah but really, don’t let yourself get too frustrated. I think there’s some mine-able content in sports. And I do think that at least one of these essays is expected to fall a little short because of the length of the secondary. Just don’t let Duke sink your battleship.

Edit: I’m not seeing the piece about demos

And I do think that at least one of these essays is expected to fall a little short
I don’t know about you, but I am perf. No anxiety at all right meow because my application is flawless *Twitches and stares towards UCLA and Stanford with the burning fire of 1000 Elmos as he waits for his secondaries*

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know about you, but I am perf. No anxiety at all right meow because my application is flawless *Twitches and stares towards UCLA and Stanford with the burning fire of 1000 Elmos as he waits for his secondaries*
I submitted UCLA a few days ago but now I'm starting to freak out about some of my answers. This **** is so stressful my god.

Would it be remiss for me to talk about the community where I attended college for the core values question? I feel like I have a pretty strong answer for that, but I'm not sure if it would be flagged for not pertaining to my hometown.

Would it be remiss for me to talk about the community where I attended college for the core values question? I feel like I have a pretty strong answer for that, but I'm not sure if it would be flagged for not pertaining to my hometown.
As mentioned above, I do not believe the "hometown" is what they are going for. You are good.

Wait why wouldn't hometown be a good answer? Especially if it's a small town community I can see good answers around home town

Wait why wouldn't hometown be a good answer? Especially if it's a small town community I can see good answers around home town
It would be a good answer if that is the community you were nurtured in. But the community that you were nurtured in does not have to be your hometown. It is asking about a community of people, not a neighborhood.

Like, if someone was raised in the community of Mormonism, that is their community they identify with that taught them the most. Or sports, or the military, or LGBT, or gaming, or the community of online anonymous Disney princess erotica. Whatever community instilled your core values.

Reactions: 2 users
It would be a good answer if that is the community you were nurtured in. But the community that you were nurtured in does not have to be your hometown. It is asking about a community of people, not a neighborhood.
Ok I was just confused by when you said "hometown would not be a good answer" haha. So like if I talk about the values I've gained from a hometown community it should be fine?

Ok I was just confused by when you said "hometown would not be a good answer" haha. So like if I talk about the values I've gained from a hometown community it should be fine?
Yes, that is 100% OK if that is your community. Although, erotic Disney fan fiction would be 100X more interesting lol

Did Duke send you all confirmation e-mails upon submission?

Members don't see this ad :)

No Stanford for me either. Got UCLA but no UCSF. So much for Stanford being a "stats hoe" as many people on SDN claim. Darned Californian schools....I NEED TO LEAVE THE EAST COAST

Last edited:
  • Haha
No Standford for me either. Got UCLA but no UCSF. So much for Stanford being a "stats hoe" as many people on SDN claim. Darned Californian schools....I NEED TO LEAVE THE EAST COAST
Don't say that in the Duke thread! They're listening!

Reactions: 3 users
"Has any previous behavior resulted in any review or action by a judicial committee? Have you ever been accused of or received an honor code or conduct violation at any time while enrolled as a full-time or part-time student?"

I'm a little confused by the wording here. By conduct violations is Duke referring to mainly academic or ethical conduct violations in context of the first sentence? Does an alcohol violation that the school said was not an IA also count?
Just be safe and list it.

Anyone get an II yet?

• Haha
They didn't go out until early/mid August last year

I know that. For some reason, Duke listed July 15th as the day they start sending out IIs on MSAR.

Does Duke screen before sending out secondaries or something? I've checked my spam multiple times and haven't seen anything for all of July? Should I email their admissions office asking about it, or am I just in one of their last "waves" of emails?

what are the character limits of each?
Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated.

Words left: 500

If one of the above identities do not best describe you, then what identity do you feel most comfortable with?(optional)
I self-identify as...

Words left: 50

Race/Ethnicity/Geographic Origin/Socioeconomic Status/ Advantage/Disadvantage/ Religious Affiliation(optional)
In addition to the broad categorization of race, ethnicity, geographic origin, socioeconomic status as provided through your AMCAS application, you may use the text box below to provide additional clarifying information that may reflect the impact of any of these parameters on your development thus far as well as the impact that these may have had on your path to a career in medicine and your plans for the future.

Words left: 200

_
Describe the community in which you were nurtured. What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions you hope to make in medicine? What improvements do you think might make the community better?

escribe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? How do you see it linked to your role as a physician? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate?

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking?

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics including creativity, innovation, discernment, emotional intelligence, application and analysis. Describe a situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is critical thinking vital in your future?

Leadership, teamwork, and communication operate synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and member of a team? What attributes do you possess as a leader and how will you apply them every day?

Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application:

Thanks! Is the last question a "why Duke" opportunity?
Most applicants to most schools use the “anything else” as a “Why us” essay, however this is normally non-contributorial. If they wanted “why us” they would ask. Unless you have a family member who works at the school, a support network in the area that is not evident on the primary, or a genuine connection to a PhD or MD that you may want to do research with (as in, one of your PIs has done collaborations or the like) then a Why Us is not worth while.

Is it just me or did Duke secretly change some of the essay prompts. I swear they had a prompt about how medical care is an undeniable right, but now it's gone and instead there's this prompt about leadership.

Is it just me or did Duke secretly change some of the essay prompts. I swear they had a prompt about how medical care is an undeniable right, but now it's gone and instead there's this prompt about leadership.

If you mean changed from last year, then yes that's exactly true. They didn't secretly change in the middle of this cycle to my understanding.

If you mean changed from last year, then yes that's exactly true. They didn't secretly change in the middle of this cycle to my understanding.
ok lol in my word doc where I'm writing my essay I had the old essay. I thought that I had the most recent essays but I probably just forgot to change it haha.

Just started this secondary... why are there are so many essay questions?? They're making us work for this one.

Last edited:
I submitted on Thursday and paid (got a payment confirmation email), but when I look at the portal it still says that I "must now pay the application fee" and I have yet to receive a complete email. Has this happened to anyone else?

• Wow
What did Keck do?

Also, like (was it UVA?) that changed within a couple hours of sending secondaries...?
A few days later, after many of us had already submitted, they completely changed one of the essay prompts to something entirely different.

I submitted on Thursday and paid (got a payment confirmation email), but when I look at the portal it still says that I "must now pay the application fee" and I have yet to receive a complete email. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'd consider contacting them. I see this:

"Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee."

I, too, never received a confirmation email, though.

I'd consider contacting them. I see this:

"Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee. Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee."

I, too, never received a confirmation email, though.
Ok yeah, I was hoping it would resolve itself over the weekend, but apparently not. Thanks!

Here's a stupid question. For the "Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself" prompt, I am writing about helping my friend face his substance abuse/mental health problems and seek counseling, especially addressing the issue with his family who was in denial and being unsupportive.

Will using this as a subject automatically imply that I do *not* struggle with substance abuse? Or do I have to include a line like "while I do not struggle with these issues..." etc? The prompt specifically asks about advocating for someone who is different from me, so I am unsure if I need to be explicit about how he was different from me.

For context, we're both middle-class white dudes.

has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I personally submitted to them the first week of july and my stats should be totally fine ... wondering whether I should call them

Here's a stupid question. For the "Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself" prompt, I am writing about helping my friend face his substance abuse/mental health problems and seek counseling, especially addressing the issue with his family who was in denial and being unsupportive.

Will using this as a subject automatically imply that I do *not* struggle with substance abuse? Or do I have to include a line like "while I do not struggle with these issues..." etc? The prompt specifically asks about advocating for someone who is different from me, so I am unsure if I need to be explicit about how he was different from me.

For context, we're both middle-class white dudes.
If I told you that I advocated for female lemur gynecological equality, would you assume I am a female lemur without access to gyn services? Probably not.

No, you do not have to explicitly state you do not use drugs.

Edit: This was a really weird and out-there combination of nouns and adjectives.

this secondary is literally taking everything I have... so glad I saved it for last

If I told you that I advocated for female lemur gynecological equality, would you assume I am a female lemur without access to gyn services? Probably not.

No, you do not have to explicitly state you do not use drugs.

Edit: This was a really weird and out-there combination of nouns and adjectives.
Hey did you receive an email after completion here?

No I did not. It just displays complete on the portal
Thanks man! Also, a little bit weird, but when you check how many words left for the critical thinking essay, does it keep saying "words left 500" after completion?

Thanks man! Also, a little bit weird, but when you check how many words left for the critical thinking essay, does it keep saying "words left 500" after completion?
Yes. It did that for all of my essays. Said how many words were left while I was in the box, went back to 500 when I was out of the box.

Weird. But this secondary was fun.
Yah, it really was. Definitely the most time I have spent on anything else with the cycle and also probably the most opportunity to produce the cleanest narrative. Like, I actually think I prefer the many essays to just a couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah, it really was. Definitely the most time I have spent on anything else with the cycle and also probably the cleanest narrative (both second to KH that is).
Yes! I agree with the narrative. I like how it allows you to express different (but interconnected) parts of yourself across the prompts.