2019-2020 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do y'all think of the advocacy prompt? Is standing up for someone who is different sufficient enough? Advocacy tends to bring more of a "fighting for someone's rights that are in danger" to mind, but that seems very extreme to be able to provide an example..

Members don't see this ad.

but that seems very extreme to be able to provide an example..
If you have an example then by all means. That is where my advocacy essay went - granted I had an official role that allowed for such advocacy. If your version of advocacy is supporting someone who is unlike you, then that answers the prompt.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally wrapped up all of the secondary writing and refinement. Thanks peer reviewers!

I am filling out the application now and on 'Special awards'do y'all think it would be worthwhile to check "other" for my significant military awards?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally wrapped up all of the secondary writing and refinement. Thanks peer reviewers!

I am filling out the application now and on 'Special awards'do y'all think it would be worthwhile to check "other" for my significant military awards?

I didn't put any of my awards because I didn't think they were similar enough to the ones they listed.

True that. They list “Americorps” and “Peace Corps” as awards...Is “Army” in the same boat? Lol
Did they not have a separate question asking about the military? It seems like most secondaries do, but I forget whether Duke did or not. They all seem to be running together now.

Did they not have a separate question asking about the military? It seems like most secondaries do, but I forget whether Duke did or not. They all seem to be running together now.
No they do not. Imma YOLO it. Just Check "Other" and will put "United States Armed Forces" or "United States Army (or Army Reserves?)"

I tried to submit and it says "There was an error with the data you tried to submit. Please check again and resubmit"

I see no errors made...Does anyone have a remedy or did anyone else have this issue...?

• Wow
I tried to submit and it says "There was an error with the data you tried to submit. Please check again and resubmit"

I see no errors made...Does anyone have a remedy or did anyone else have this issue...?
Disregard. To any other idiots, there is both a "policy agreement" check box in addition to the "review confirmation" check box.

1) most people leave it blank
2) you are telling them who you are. How has your background and the identities you hold influence the person you are
3)if you have additional information about your background or identities that would be helpful to them fill it out.

You are overthinking these. Calm, do good.

Members don't see this ad :)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I need advice whether to apply. I am a non-trad, low stats (508 MCAT & 3.5 s/cGPA) student. I have 4 years full time clinic research at one of best Children's hospitals in the country and am interested in pediatrics/primary care and research in health disparities including global health (aka doctors without borders). Duke amongst three other schools have really big Health disparities centers that are exactly what I would like to focus on. I just don't know if it is a waste of my money? I am already verified I just haven't added Duke to my list. What do y'all think? is it a waste or have y'all heard of ORM low stats with excellent ECs getting in?

I need advice whether to apply. I am a non-trad, low stats (508 MCAT & 3.5 s/cGPA) student. I have 4 years full time clinic research at one of best Children's hospitals in the country and am interested in pediatrics/primary care and research in health disparities including global health (aka doctors without borders). Duke amongst three other schools have really big Health disparities centers that are exactly what I would like to focus on. I just don't know if it is a waste of my money? I am already verified I just haven't added Duke to my list. What do y'all think? is it a waste or have y'all heard of ORM low stats with excellent ECs getting in?
As an ORM? I would say nah. The stats just aren’t there for what they want, despite the good ECs. I would make your school list 50/50 Low tier MD and any DO.

Are people really submitting 500 words for these essays. Also, my answers for "Tell us more about who you are" and "Describe the community in which you were nurtured" are basically the same. Any way to differentiate them? This secondary is killing me lol.

Are people really submitting 500 words for these essays. Also, my answers for "Tell us more about who you are" and "Describe the community in which you were nurtured" are basically the same. Any way to differentiate them? This secondary is killing me lol.
I believe in you.

I hit between 440 and 490 in ever essay. “Tell is about you” should be about your identities and background making you - you. Your community should be about the environment surrounding what makes you, you.

You can get a nice theme going through these essays. Example time:

My “About you” essay was “my identities are as a soldier, father and student”

My “community” essay was about the Army

My “humbling” experience was about having a daughter young

My “critical thinking” was about being a researcher

The identities essay can be optimized to foreshadow and set up what you talk about the rest of the essay, methinks. I am hoping, at least.

For "diversity" i wrote about caring for someone with a specific mental health problem in my family, for "community" i talked about specific ways how my family/neighbors/health profesionals worked together in helping with that problem

Another question about the community essay. What do they mean by improvements to make the described community better? Like my community is the multicultural household I grew up in since I'm multiracial. I don't really see how I could go into this community to improve it.

Regarding the advocacy essay, how "different" would you say the person or population should be? I have done advocacy work but mainly with a population of my own race and very identical to my own family. The only major differences between me and the population would be age, education level, and birth country.

Alternatively, I have "advocated" for individuals with more pronounced differences. But they were more in the lines of being a good friend, rather than advocacy (ex: housing a friend after he came out as gay and his housemates made his living condition really horrible, helping him find a new place to live, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone use the additional info as a Why Duke?

I did, but I have strong connections. I would not use it for fluff or bs.
Good idea, burning the fluff. Btw, I see you're also a man (or woman) of applying-to-way-too-many-schools culture. Love to have fellow masochists in it to win it.

For the core values question, should we be providing examples of communities we grew up in, or could we potentially use the community where we attended college? I feel like I can have a much better answer for the latter, but I dunno if that isn't what the prompt's asking.

Good idea, burning the fluff. Btw, I see you're also a man (or woman) of applying-to-way-too-many-schools culture. Love to have fellow masochists in it to win it.

Pain for a few weeks now but it’ll all pay off right?

how "different" would you say the person or population should be?
The only difference between myself and the people I advocated for was that we reacted differently to the same stressful situations. They cracked, I didn’t. That is my difference and I think it made for a good essay and compelling story.

As long as you can justify the difference, I think you are good.

• Haha
Does anyone know if when you apply for primary care track, you are also considered for regular MD admission?

I believe I remember reading somewhere that you are automatically considered for regular MD.
I just heard from some friends at Duke that this actually may not be the case, so I emailed the office. Will report back if anyone else is considering the program!

EDIT: As a side note, I did re-check the Duke admissions website and they state that you are considered for both ("All PCLT applicants will be considered for the traditional MD track at Duke if not considered by the PCLT program") , but my friends got me freaked out so I'm double checking with the office.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just heard from some friends at Duke that this actually may not be the case, so I emailed the office. Will report back if anyone else is considering the program!

EDIT: As a side note, I did re-check the Duke admissions website and they state that you are considered for both ("All PCLT applicants will be considered for the traditional MD track at Duke if not considered by the PCLT program") , but my friends got me freaked out so I'm double checking with the office.

Confirmed by the admissions office that you will be considered for regular admissions if you don’t make the PCLT program.

Gotta go yell at some future doctors, sorry for the scare everyone!

Confirmed by the admissions office that you will be considered for regular admissions if you don’t make the PCLT program.

Gotta go yell at some future doctors, sorry for the scare everyone!

Glad I haven’t been spreading misinformation!

I’m a white dude from a small, primarily white suburban town so I’m struggling with the community prompt. Considering writing about my family upbringing as my “community” instead but I think I can make better use of that material for parts of prompt #1.

Trying to think of some other outside of the box strategies for community, but if I’m unsuccessful...how misguided do we think it is to try and tackle this prompt with what will likely be the trillionth “why my white suburb needed more diversity” essay that Duke will receive for this? Is it expected to take an L on at least one of these prompts given the length of this notorious secondary?

I’m a white dude from a small, primarily white suburban town so I’m struggling with the community prompt. Considering writing about my family upbringing as my “community” instead but I think I can make better use of that material for parts of prompt #1.

Trying to think of some other outside of the box strategies for community, but if I’m unsuccessful...how misguided do we think it is to try and tackle this prompt with what will likely be the trillionth “why my white suburb needed more diversity” essay that Duke will receive for this? Is it expected to take an L on at least one of these prompts given the length of this notorious secondary?
Do you maybe have the Dn'D community? MTG? Competitive gaming? Weed culture...?

Do you maybe have the Dn'D community? MTG? Competitive gaming? Weed culture...?

Me and my friends were pretty into board games but idk about the quality of “core values” gained from that. Skills, maybe.

I did play football though, definitely learned some core values from that. Also realizing that “community in which you were nurtured” definitely opens the door to communities beyond hometowns, etc

Me and my friends were pretty into board games but idk about the quality of “core values” gained from that. Skills, maybe.

I did play football though, definitely learned some core values from that. Also realizing that “community in which you were nurtured” definitely opens the door to communities beyond hometowns, etc

I'm biased because sport was/is basically my whole life, but I definitely think that would work. There are tons of core values that you can gain from athletics growing up, and now.

How long were you in football? Was it long enough and were there enough 'lessons learned' that you can talk about the community of football as where you were 'nurtured'?

Oh yeah, they definitely do NOT intend to have you talk about your home town. Many people will talk about their literal community/family, but I know I talked about coming of age in the Army, another person in here talks about the LGBT community nurturing them, another talks about their years on the wrestling team.....and so on. If you do it right, the community you were nurtured in should have some semblance of relation to the identities essay.

I'm biased because sport was/is basically my whole life, but I definitely think that would work. There are tons of core values that you can gain from athletics growing up, and now.
I hate sports but even I agree that it is a good topic for this prompt.

How long were you in football? Was it long enough and were there enough 'lessons learned' that you can talk about the community of football as where you were 'nurtured'?

Oh yeah, they definitely do NOT intend to have you talk about your home town. Many people will talk about their literal community/family, but I know I talked about coming of age in the Army, another person in here talks about the LGBT community nurturing them, another talks about their years on the wrestling team.....and so on. If you do it right, the community you were nurtured in should have some semblance of relation to the identities essay.

That’s the problem, I played in middle school and up until my junior year of high school. Ironically, I quit after a few injuries because I wanted to preserve some brain cells for...wait for it...medical school!

Me and my friends have been playing all kinds of strategy games for years and years though. So that could be better...but that really led to the development of skills, not so much “values”

Edit: “values”

That’s the problem, I played in middle school and up until my junior year of high school. Ironically, I quit after a few injuries because I wanted to preserve some brain cells for...wait for it...medical school!

Me and my friends have been playing all kinds of strategy games for years and years though. So that could be better...but that really led to the development of skills, not so much “qualities”
"The community that nurtured me was that of competitive sports and gaming. Whether playing the blue eyes white dragon, conquering argentina, or catching the game-winning thorw, I have always endured under the fire of glorious teamwork. Just as the Paladin Leroy Jenkins charges in to combat, I was brought in to maturity by the might of my team. Through all of the shoots and ladders of life....."

And so on. You got this.

• Haha
"The community that nurtured me was that of competitive sports and gaming. Whether playing the blue eyes white dragon, conquering argentina, or catching the game-winning thorw, I have always endured under the fire of glorious teamwork. Just as the Paladin Leroy Jenkins charges in to combat, I was brought in to maturity by the might of my team. Through all of the shoots and ladders of life....."

And so on. You got this.

“I have learned the value of a well-balanced mana ratio. That a self-respecting Catan settler should never invest too heavily in sheep, and to never forget that Risk is a joke of a game, where chance will always laugh in the face of your strategy, regardless of your tactical prowess.”

Acceptance? That’s how this works right?

• Haha

And so on. You got this.
You're on a roll man, wanna write my critical thinking essay for me?

“I have learned the value of a well-balanced mana ratio. That a self-respecting Catan settler should never invest too heavily in sheep, and to never forget that Risk is a joke of a game, where chance will always laugh in the face of your strategy, regardless of your tactical prowess.”

There are a couple of cool board game stores/bars in Durham, so Duke may actually like to see that you could enjoy being there.

Me and my friends have been playing all kinds of strategy games for years and years though. So that could be better...but that really led to the development of skills, not so much “values”

Edit: “values”

I was thinking about writing about sports for mine too. However, my concern is that the question asks about community "with respect to is demographics". So i'm not sure sports or gaming would fit in. Would love to hear other opinions though.

No joke, this would get three types of reactions:
1) The young med student reviewer who loves you
2) The neutral person who has no idea what is going on but enjoys your enthusiasm
3) Karen, the middle aged suburban mother who now thinks you are a satanist.

Reactions: 3 users
I was thinking about writing about sports for mine too. However, my concern is that the question asks about community "with respect to is demographics". So i'm not sure sports or gaming would fit in. Would love to hear other opinions though.
I didn't even catch the "with respect to its demographics" part. Whatevs, talking about the military being both fraternal and engulfed in toxic masculinity should gimme some brownie points?