2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Ivins, Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting up my first year in a couple weeks. Been living in the area for awhile tho. Hit me up if you have any questions about the application process or the area. Tons to do if biking, running, hiking, climbing, etc. is your thing.

Do you like the area? what is your favorite part of the school/curriculum? I know this is a new campus so I want to get as much info as possible about the student experiences. I'm from New Mexico so hiking, skiing, camping, climbing are all things I am totally into. Super excited about my interview here in September! Thanks so much!

Hey y'all! I'm a first year here deep into the hardest section of the first semester (MSK). If anyone has any q's about the area, school, or program, I'll happily chip in my 2 cents. Let me leave saying I'm loving the school, faculty, and students! Good luck everyone! I know applying sucks but once you're accepted you don't even remember it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you like the area? what is your favorite part of the school/curriculum? I know this is a new campus so I want to get as much info as possible about the student experiences. I'm from New Mexico so hiking, skiing, camping, climbing are all things I am totally into. Super excited about my interview here in September! Thanks so much!
The school is honestly super nice. Labs are clean and new, cadavers have a good variety, auditoriums are top-notch, etc. The website is a little annoying to navigate, but nbd. The outdoors are honestly too hot this time of year to even be outside, although the temps are just beginning to drop to a more manageable level. I do love the professors (at least the ones I've experienced so far) as they seem intelligible and definitely qualified. It is a little annoying how seemingly most lectures are broadcasted from Colorado, but then again I've found that I study much better from home at 9 than sitting in the lecture hall at 8am... so it really makes no difference haha. The number one coolest feature about the school though is the student-body. The admin flat-out tells you in orientation that a cut-throat, dog eat dog atmosphere won't be tolerated. Basically, we're here to help each other, not cut each other down. It's great. Everyone's happy to be here and happy to help, share notes, study tips, etc. I wouldn't trade the vibe for anything. Anyways, I'm off to watching some Netflix before bed. Peace.

Reactions: 1 users
How long after interviews are acceptances typically sent out? Also how long after acceptances are sent are deposits due?
So for acceptances I want to say within 2-3 weeks of the interview. Pretty dang quick. Realize that this school is very picky with their interviews and, basically, you just don't have to "screw it up" to have an acceptance. Look, they already like you. You have like a 90% chance of being accepted post-interview, just as long as you don't come off as a serial killer.

As for deposit, I LOVEEE their deposit policy. They give you up until mid December to pay the first deposit of only $250 - assuming it's the same as last year. I loved this because another school I was accepted at demanded like 2 grand within 2 weeks of acceptance to hold my spot. Of course we're all tight on cash, and I took that as meaning they wanted to rathole students into making a reflexive/monetary decision rather than letting us feel whatever might be best for us. So for deposits, A+ to RVU because they're willing to let us sit relatively late into the cycle before paying any type of deposit, and even then it's a tiny one compared to almost all other schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Rejection email today. One more spot open for all y’all. Good luck!

That's unfortunate I'm sorry to hear that. post secondary rejection?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Yes first one of the season. Still have multiple other interviews though. However, RVU was like a “guaranteed in” if you got an interview, so I was hoping to hear good news from them. Oh well keep on grinding.

Yes first one of the season. Still have multiple other interviews though. However, RVU was like a “guaranteed in” if you got an interview, so I was hoping to hear good news from them. Oh well keep on grinding.
Nice well in that case you're bound to get in somewhere. Good luck!

Congratulations! when did you submit your secondary? Also do you remember when they switched to your status to complete?

Thank you! Submitted 7/5. I was complete 7/23. But about 1 week ago I noticed that the 7/23 date was removed from my account so I assumed that meant my app was being looked at. But like I posted before i didn’t hear anything until today in which I received an email with the invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Submitted 7/5. I was complete 7/23. But about 1 week ago I noticed that the 7/23 date was removed from my account so I assumed that meant my app was being looked at. But like I posted before i didn’t hear anything until today in which I received an email with the invite.
Nice thanks man I wish you the best of luck! You're definitely ahead of the curve. My completed date and was last week so I probably won't hear back for at least another few weeks.

Nice thanks man I wish you the best of luck! You're definitely ahead of the curve. My completed date and was last week so I probably won't hear back for at least another few weeks.

Thank you!! Yeah be patient. I’m sure you’ll hear something soon. It’s still very early in the process. Silence is a good thing from what I’ve heard. No pun intended lol.

Any current medical student care to elaborate on their interview style and what to expect?

Reactions: 3 users
So for acceptances I want to say within 2-3 weeks of the interview. Pretty dang quick. Realize that this school is very picky with their interviews and, basically, you just don't have to "screw it up" to have an acceptance. Look, they already like you. You have like a 90% chance of being accepted post-interview, just as long as you don't come off as a serial killer.

As for deposit, I LOVEEE their deposit policy. They give you up until mid December to pay the first deposit of only $250 - assuming it's the same as last year. I loved this because another school I was accepted at demanded like 2 grand within 2 weeks of acceptance to hold my spot. Of course we're all tight on cash, and I took that as meaning they wanted to rathole students into making a reflexive/monetary decision rather than letting us feel whatever might be best for us. So for deposits, A+ to RVU because they're willing to let us sit relatively late into the cycle before paying any type of deposit, and even then it's a tiny one compared to almost all other schools.

can you comment on what their interview style in like and what to expect on interview day? Thanks for all the tips already they are much appreciated!

Just got a rejection email. Good luck to the rest of you! Wishing you all the best.

I love the area. I run or mt. bike 4-5 mornings per week and its top notch single-track and sweet running trails 5-10 min from the school. Skiing isn't so great, but tons of camping and climbing nearby. I don't climb a lot, but I know a bunch of students do. If you get into canyoneering there isn't a better place on earth imo. Zions is super close and there is enough canyoneering there to spend a life time exploring. San Rafael swell and moab are also close enough for a weekend trip. Lots of people who like the city life jet down to Vegas which is close as well.

The school itself is perfect for me. Quiet, TONS of places to study. They have study rooms that are always available, the library is great to study in, if there aren't lectures you can study in the lecture auditoriums as well. The curriculum seems fine, I don't have much to compare it too, but Dr. Linton (the director of the curriculum) is incredibly caring and helpful. I feel like they are there to help us succeed. Like was mentioned before, my favorite thing is the student body. Everyone i've interacted with has been super chill and we all seem willing to help each other. The OSM II students have been helpful as well. They offer time to tutor us and have been great sources of advice. I scored 15% higher on our second test and much of that was due to advice from upper classmen and notes posted on facebook from my classmates.

My only advice would be to feel the school out for yourself when you interview. People talk a lot about "fit" and I didn't realize what that meant until I interviewed. RVU just seemed like the right "fit" for me. I turned down MD offers and offers from other DO schools because the vibes I got at those schools did not fit my personality. Get out of your comfort zone at your interview and talk to students walking around, ask them questions, and get a feel for what they are like and what they think of the school.

Any current medical student care to elaborate on their interview style and what to expect?

This was by far the easiest interview I had. They told us straight up at my interview to relax and that they accept more than 80% of the people they interview. Don't let the faculty seem intimidating, they are all genuine and kind. Be yourself and try to enjoy your interview day.

From what I remember we had a little meeting with the dean, Dr. Park. He talked to us about the school, curriculum, what we'll be doing each of our four years there, and how awesome it is at RVU. Besides meeting with him we had a tour, met with current students, had a few other meetings with various administrators/faculty. The actual interviews themselves were 2 faculty and 1 student. In my interview they asked all the typical/standard questions first and then said, "OK we got those questions out of the way, now I want to ask more about you" or something to that extent. After that we just chatted about anything that seemed interesting to us. It wasn't stressful or intense at all. Of course n=1 and your experience could be different. I would just expect a traditional 2 on 1 interview with the same standard questions you'd get at other schools. Be prepared to address and talk about everything on your application. There are really no curveballs thrown at you or anything like that.

The only negative was the provided lunch sucked. It was a very tiny sandwich and a bag of chips haha, I went out to lunch afterwards.

This was by far the easiest interview I had. They told us straight up at my interview to relax and that they accept more than 80% of the people they interview. Don't let the faculty seem intimidating, they are all genuine and kind. Be yourself and try to enjoy your interview day.

From what I remember we had a little meeting with the dean, Dr. Park. He talked to us about the school, curriculum, what we'll be doing each of our four years there, and how awesome it is at RVU. Besides meeting with him we had a tour, met with current students, had a few other meetings with various administrators/faculty. The actual interviews themselves were 2 faculty and 1 student. In my interview they asked all the typical/standard questions first and then said, "OK we got those questions out of the way, now I want to ask more about you" or something to that extent. After that we just chatted about anything that seemed interesting to us. It wasn't stressful or intense at all. Of course n=1 and your experience could be different. I would just expect a traditional 2 on 1 interview with the same standard questions you'd get at other schools. Be prepared to address and talk about everything on your application. There are really no curveballs thrown at you or anything like that.

The only negative was the provided lunch sucked. It was a very tiny sandwich and a bag of chips haha, I went out to lunch afterwards.
+1 to everything Johnny said. n=2, haha. Just make sure you can answer the basics and you'll be good... Things like, why do you want to be a DO, something about your past that made you decide medicine, etc. They're not trying to trip you up.

Reactions: 3 users
If we're flying into St. George what's the best way to get from the airport to our hotel?

Does anyone know what type of interview they have here?

Does anyone know what type of interview they have here?

Assuming they haven't changed anything you will have one interview with two faculty members. Interview should last 30 or so minutes and they try to make it conversational. When I went through it the interviewers couldn't see grades or anything but they did have access to your essays from your applications. They like to ask about your background and what not. Besides that interview day is pretty easy going. Get to see the school, eat, try on white coats and talk to some students. The first interviewers are here today so I hope they chime in if anything has changed.

Also, there is usually lecture going on right by where you hang out during interview day. We have a unique situation and get many of our lectures telecast, so I would recommend popping in on one if you can so you can ease any nerves you have about that type of lecture. It really isn't very noticeable when the lecturer is on the other campus. And most students watch recorded lectures anyway so that makes 0 difference.

I know there are a few current students who check this so let us know if you have any questions

If we're flying into St. George what's the best way to get from the airport to our hotel?

+1 Im relying on Uber lol

Uber or lyft should work fine. There are not a ton of drivers out here and I've only used it once since moving here. You can set up a taxi if you want but it'll probably be a bit more expensive. If you do the taxi route I think St. George Shuttle can set you up with one so just google that.

As part of the first interview group today. It was absolutely amazing! The two faculty members that interviewed me were extremely friendly and you actually may have the opportunity to get to know them before the interview when you have lunch with all of the interviewers. All of the students are extremely friendly and willing to come up and answer any questions. They have a fantastic school and great curriculum that prepares you for your boarding exams. I have several interviews which include MD schools, I would gladly take this school over many MDs schools.

As part of the first interview group today. It was absolutely amazing! The two faculty members that interviewed me were extremely friendly and you actually may have the opportunity to get to know them before the interview when you have lunch with all of the interviewers. All of the students are extremely friendly and willing to come up and answer any questions. They have a fantastic school and great curriculum that prepares you for your boarding exams. I have several interviews which include MD schools, I would gladly take this school over many MDs schools.
Interviewing here in about 3 hours! Good to hear you enjoyed your experience :)

Does anyone who interviewed this week remember when they said they'd be sending out admissions decisions? I feel like they said as early as today but I could be wrong

Good luck to all who interviewed so far! Y’all try and save a seat for me!

Wow, I got an II here today! Complete 8/7. I'm going to make a trip out of it - so many parks to see!!!

Cancelled my interview here. Good luck to everyone!

Got my II today. I'm honestly a little surprised to hear the many good reviews about this school since it's so new, but happy nonetheless. To the current students replying, since there is no data about matching, how competitive do you feel this school is making you for residencies? Are you getting good research, volunteer, etc. opportunities? How strong of applicants were you and your classmates do you think? Do you feel like you are being prepared well for boards?
Thanks!

Got my II today. I'm honestly a little surprised to hear the many good reviews about this school since it's so new, but happy nonetheless. To the current students replying, since there is no data about matching, how competitive do you feel this school is making you for residencies? Are you getting good research, volunteer, etc. opportunities? How strong of applicants were you and your classmates do you think? Do you feel like you are being prepared well for boards?
Thanks!

It's obviously hard to say how match will go. The colorado campus has been doing awesome on boards and match recently and we have the exact same curriculum, teachers and classes. They say that it is two campuses and one school. So I think we are adequately being prepared for boards.

Research is more difficult to come by but a lot of students have found opportunities and faculty is getting a bit more involved as they have been here longer. But it won't be as easy to get opportunities as it would be at an MD school attached to a large university. There have been many groups of students presenting posters at conferences lately so there are opportunities but you might have to be the one to initiate it.

There are a mix of really good applicants. Many students here have families and although they were accepted to other schools chose to stay here because it was a better situation for their family. Many students turned down other acceptances to come here. RVU has some tracks that a lot of students are involved with and some students say that they came here so they could be apart of the track (mainly the Rural and wilderness medicine track and they have some really cool activities.

volunteering is always an option. They have the ST george marathon, senior games and other events often. There is a free clinic nearby and a veterans assisted living home a block away. You can get involved as much as you would like.

All in all i feel like the school gives you the resources you need and if you want to match into a competitive specialty than they do give you the chance. But it i definitely competitive and hopefully the RVU reputation will also help us out while applying.

Thanks!

I agree with everything @Dr. wait for it... said.

As a first year and only a couple months in I can can’t speak as much to board prep and residency, but the third year fellows on campus said they scored well on the boards. They told me the RVU curriculum had a lot to do with that. I’m sure our match list will be among the best for DO schools and quite similar to the CO match list.

Extracurricular opportunities are everywhere. I get an email about opportunities every week. Research is not, however. I feel like you have to make your own research opportunities and be proactive about it.

I was a competitive applicant (512 mcat, solid gpa, research, etc). I turned down 3 MD interviews because we loved RVU and my wife wanted to be down here so bad. We are close to family and have little kids that fit better here than they would’ve in Chicago or New Orleans. After our first course I’d say I’m in the top 30% ish. there are a lot of smart people at this school. My sense is many of the in-state students are highly competitive applicants that came here from BYU/Utah/Utah State/SUU because they didn’t get into the U. I know a large chunk of the 2022 class has MD stats and lofty specialty goals. We’ll just have to wait and see if those goals come to fruition.

Overall if u want tons of research and an ortho or derm residency this might not be the place. With that said I still think it is possible it’ll just require more effort. Other than that, the school offers everything I could ask for. I’m shooting for residency in ER, Anesthesia, or possibly family. I feel RVU is providing me everything I need to match into any of those three specialties.

I agree with everything @Dr. wait for it... said.

As a first year and only a couple months in I can can’t speak as much to board prep and residency, but the third year fellows on campus said they scored well on the boards. They told me the RVU curriculum had a lot to do with that. I’m sure our match list will be among the best for DO schools and quite similar to the CO match list.

Extracurricular opportunities are everywhere. I get an email about opportunities every week. Research is not, however. I feel like you have to make your own research opportunities and be proactive about it.

I was a competitive applicant (512 mcat, solid gpa, research, etc). I turned down 3 MD interviews because we loved RVU and my wife wanted to be down here so bad. We are close to family and have little kids that fit better here than they would’ve in Chicago or New Orleans. After our first course I’d say I’m in the top 30% ish. there are a lot of smart people at this school. My sense is many of the in-state students are highly competitive applicants that came here from BYU/Utah/Utah State/SUU because they didn’t get into the U. I know a large chunk of the 2022 class has MD stats and lofty specialty goals. We’ll just have to wait and see if those goals come to fruition.

Overall if u want tons of research and an ortho or derm residency this might not be the place. With that said I still think it is possible it’ll just require more effort. Other than that, the school offers everything I could ask for. I’m shooting for residency in ER, Anesthesia, or possibly family. I feel RVU is providing me everything I need to match into any of those three specialties.
That is really good a review! Thanks .. btw: I got interviewed on 8/29: How long before I would know of the result?

That is really good a review! Thanks .. btw: I got interviewed on 8/29: How long before I would know of the result?
I think they said they'd get back to us regarding acceptances this week

I'm on edge too man. I interviewed last Wednesday, and I am aching to get a phone call. If we don't hear back today will we receive an email saying we aren't accepted?

I'm on edge too man. I interviewed last Wednesday, and I am aching to get a phone call. If we don't hear back today will we receive an email saying we aren't accepted?
Tough question to answer!

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

I think the best way to find out would be in this forum. Those getting a call would share in jubilance.......Let's see how many get there...

I think the best way to find out would be in this forum. Those getting a call would share in jubilance.......Let's see how many get there...

Expect a call at 1530 hours MT...or thereabouts...

Did they mention something about calling around 3:30? Or did a previous applicant say that? Just wondering. Either way, I'll be waiting until then then I guess. :)

Did they mention something about calling around 3:30? Or did a previous applicant say that? Just wondering. Either way, I'll be waiting until then then I guess. :)
Previous post! But so far there is no activity......Someone has to get A call!

I heard that people who are not accepted right away will get an email. In that email they will tell you if you are on a waitlist or not.