2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Ivins, Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey does anyone has any guidance on choosing between Touro NV and RVUCOM in Utah? Please feel free to message me!

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students who have feedback/thoughts on how their first rotations matching went? Looked like a great evening for ya'll!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday! Interviewed 3/11

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone happen to have the match list for 2019 for colorado campus?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the rotation quality will be for this school? Will they be hospital based? Preceptors? Also I am confused in general how to compare rotation quality between different schools

Does anyone know what the rotation quality will be for this school? Will they be hospital based? Preceptors? Also I am confused in general how to compare rotation quality between different schools
I've been told rotation quality can be found by size of hospital, specialties offered, or if it has residents. Their inaugural class just got assigned their first rotation sites, so we won't really know for sure until after next year.

Yea, I was hoping to know more about this as well. I've been researching it a bit on here and it seems like it's hard to tell what the Utah sites will be like since the inaugural class will just be starting rotations this year. This thread is pretty helpful, it has a RVU-CO student who rotated at the Ogden site talking about his experiences as well as some other people from Utah who are familiar with the hospitals

Yea, I was hoping to know more about this as well. I've been researching it a bit on here and it seems like it's hard to tell what the Utah sites will be like since the inaugural class will just be starting rotations this year. This thread is pretty helpful, it has a RVU-CO student who rotated at the Ogden site talking about his experiences as well as some other people from Utah who are familiar with the hospitals
Important to note too that the thread isn't about RVU-SU, but just holds some perspective from a student regarding a rotation site for a prospective new school opening in 2021. When I was first reading the comments I was confused thinking the entire thread was regarding RVU-SU lol.

Six neurology, one neurosurg, and five ortho?! DAMN RVU OKAY

This is a copy of the last few years of RVU match compared to the U which is the only MD school in UT as well as Penn State.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Same, I was put on the wait list feb 12 and was wondering if their has been any movement?

I interviewed October and got off the waitlist in January if that helps! I sent updates and a LOI also

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys:

I have been accepted into RVU-SU and put down the first 1k deposit; the other 1k for me is not due until May. I was recently accepted into Kansas City University (KC campus). It seems illogical to choose a school that hasn't graduated a class yet before one that is a founding DO school (founded in 1916) with an established reputation and rotations, great statistics, and many residency connections. I realize though that RVU-SU's upcoming success due to CO campus is predictable. I have been excited to study at RVU. Comparing it to KCU, it seems to be a better environment for me due to the surrounding nature and student atmosphere. I understand that RVU has a difficult curriculum, but KCU really stressed the rigor which seems to promote a competitive atmosphere.

Any of you accepted applicants have an opinion on my predicament? I guess I would like to know what you would choose and why.

I picked RVU-SU over KCU. Granted I was accepted at the Joplin campus, but I loved the environment at RV. The location is a huge plus for me and my wife. I REALLY liked the dean on the day of the interview, but then he called me personally after the first deposit to answer any questions and I was even more sold on him and the school. Sometimes I second guess the decision slightly just because KCU has such a history of excellence, but I always feel good about the decision. They seem to be doing an excellent job.

Hey All, just wondering if there is a Class of 2023 Facebook group out there? I have tried looking but could not find one.

Hey All, just wondering if there is a Class of 2023 Facebook group out there? I have tried looking but could not find one.

I couldn't find a Facebook group either! Do you think we should email someone and see if we could create a page? I'll actually do that right now! I was actually coming on here to ask if there was anyone from Norcal who would want to split costs moving down?

Is anyone else going with the university apartments? If so, when are you guys moving in?

Actually found the fb page! Its RVUCOM-SU Class of 2023. And no I decided to live off campus

Actually found the fb page! Its RVUCOM-SU Class of 2023. And no I decided to live off campus

Would you mind posting the link for it? I searched on facebook and still cant find it haha

Edit: nevermind, found it :laugh:

Here's the link to the facebook group!

As an aside, I and another girl are looking for another roommate to rent out a Townhome near campus. Let me know if you'd be interested!

I got the call this morning and I’m finally off the waitlist!!! I’m so grateful, relieved, and excited! To everyone still waiting I feel for you, keep your head up and stay strong!

Just got the call and accepted!!!!

Here's the link to the facebook group!

As an aside, I and another girl are looking for another roommate to rent out a Townhome near campus. Let me know if you'd be interested!

Hey!! Have y'all found someone? I am trying to find a short-term situation until my SO can get out to utah, which would be late fall...I know it's not the most ideal..

Is anyone looking for a roommate? If so please let me know! (I'm female btw...but I don't mind living with dudes)

Does anyone know of popular St. George apartment complexes students live in for the first year? I am looking to live in a one-bedroom, then finding roommates for the next year. Legacy Ridge looks very nice and relatively affordable.

Does anyone have any honest thoughts about RVU-UT vs PNWU?

I was accepted to both and choose RVU off a "gamble" that the cirrculum would prepare me better. RVU requires all students to sit for USMLE which I like and when I asked about USMLE avg and how many students sat for the exam at my PNWU interview I was told "so ya, you don't even have to take that! COMLEX is all you need!". I didn't like that. I thought it was dishonest and dodged the question.

As far as clinical years go, that really remains the big question. I can't comment as we haven't started clinicals yet, but from what I gather PNWU is great if you are from the PNW and have good ties to locations where you are from to rotate. If you are not from the PNW, then you are kinda at their mercy and I have heard they just throw you where they have room. Clinicals are still a BIG question here at RVU, kinda just hoping they turn out well for us.

I think RVU has a good spread of students matching into various specialities each year and that was also something that I liked seeing. PNWU is a very PC focused school (FM/IM) - so if you are really (and I mean REALLY) leaning that way, I think its a great choice. However, if you have any incliniation of doing a sub-specality, then you might find challenges there getting exposure to the area you are interested in.

It is very conservative in St. George and that has been a bit of a drag (major issue in UT in general, not just St. George). I don't know a ton about Yakima sans from when I visited but it seems to have a little more culture and balanced politics than here.

Overall I have had a good experience at RVU even with the risks as a new school. It's growing and I think it will become a great school but still needs to prove that it is what the CO campus has become. I honestly don't think a school matters so much for pre-clinical years. Obviously each school has its own unique way of teaching the material, but if you supplement with good outside resources, you should do just fine anywhere.

I was accepted to both and choose RVU off a "gamble" that the cirrculum would prepare me better. RVU requires all students to sit for USMLE which I like and when I asked about USMLE avg and how many students sat for the exam at my PNWU interview I was told "so ya, you don't even have to take that! COMLEX is all you need!". I didn't like that. I thought it was dishonest and dodged the question.

As far as clinical years go, that really remains the big question. I can't comment as we haven't started clinicals yet, but from what I gather PNWU is great if you are from the PNW and have good ties to locations where you are from to rotate. If you are not from the PNW, then you are kinda at their mercy and I have heard they just throw you where they have room. Clinicals are still a BIG question here at RVU, kinda just hoping they turn out well for us.

I think RVU has a good spread of students matching into various specialities each year and that was also something that I liked seeing. PNWU is a very PC focused school (FM/IM) - so if you are really (and I mean REALLY) leaning that way, I think its a great choice. However, if you have any incliniation of doing a sub-specality, then you might find challenges there getting exposure to the area you are interested in.

It is very conservative in St. George and that has been a bit of a drag (major issue in UT in general, not just St. George). I don't know a ton about Yakima sans from when I visited but it seems to have a little more culture and balanced politics than here.

Overall I have had a good experience at RVU even with the risks as a new school. It's growing and I think it will become a great school but still needs to prove that it is what the CO campus has become. I honestly don't think a school matters so much for pre-clinical years. Obviously each school has its own unique way of teaching the material, but if you supplement with good outside resources, you should do just fine anywhere.

Thank you so much this is incredibly helpful. Most important factors for me are location, as I live in PNW, and quality of education. The location of PNWU is better for me, but the education seems to be "better" at RVU...but that is based on the CO track-record only... yet the dean called it "2 campuses one school." At this point I want to do family medicine or OB/GYN.

Hi I got accepted to both RVU-Utah and A.T. Still Kirksville. I was wondering if anyone had to choose between the two and the pros and cons to each program?

Hi I got accepted to both RVU-Utah and A.T. Still Kirksville. I was wondering if anyone had to choose between the two and the pros and cons to each program?

Do you have ties to the areas at all?