2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who interviewed on April 26th, do you happen to know around how many people they were interviewing that day?

Members don't see this ad.

It's the only thing available now. All the official seats are taken but they expanded their class size and are probably expecting more people to drop which is why I think they offered you that. Given the amount of people and coordination required for a full interview they probably can't host another one like that but still want to give you a chance, so blow it out of the water :) best of luck

you're so sweet, thank you! I hoping for the best for you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the style of interview that AT still soma does?

Does anyone know the style of interview that AT still soma does?

Everything: 1 on 1, MMI, speed dating (talk with someone for around 1-2 minutes and then move to the next person, about 5 people total), and a group activity. Much less stressful then you would think. Environment is very relaxing and everyone is truly there to get to know you.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy y'all,

I was approved for acceptance pending an open seat on Wednesday, May 8th. My interview was on April 26th. After visiting and meeting with much of the faculty and OMS I students, this school quickly became my first choice medical school. I'm looking forward to hearing some more positive news in the coming weeks and meeting the rest of the class in July!

SOMA is my top choice. I’m accepted to a much newer school in the region that was a very impressive school, but they haven’t graduated a class, and not having any established history seems like a big deal. My only reservation with SOMA is the CHC model and the risk we face at this point of not ending up in any of the places we’d like to be. But at the end of the day, whether it’s pennsylvania or Hawaii we’ll still be a doctor.

Got an acceptance pending open seat, interviewed April 26

Anyone else gotten such news as of late? Or a direct acceptance with a seat?

Should I feel secure with this so late in the game?

I also interviewed on April 26th and was offered an acceptance. They gave me until May 22nd to pay the deposit to hold my seat. I really did enjoy the school, but they said I would be sent to the CHC in Ohio unless their is CHC waitlist movement, which isn't near my top choice.

Trying to decide between this school and RVU-SU, anyone have any opinions on which to school to pick? Thanks for the feedback.

I also interviewed on April 26th and was offered an acceptance. They gave me until May 22nd to pay the deposit to hold my seat. I really did enjoy the school, but they said I would be sent to the CHC in Ohio unless their is CHC waitlist movement, which isn't near my top choice.

Trying to decide between this school and RVU-SU, anyone have any opinions on which to school to pick? Thanks for the feedback.

Hey congratulations on your acceptance...two awesome schools! I think something to keep in mind is that medical school is arguably some of the most stressful years of education/training so location is definitely something to consider. I think its important to be living in a place where you're going to be happy and really be comfortable. I'm not sure if you have family/friends located near either school but that's also something to consider. Good luck!

I found this data regarding ATSU SOMA's COMLEX I average scores 2011-2017. It is a little concerning that in the years 2015 to 2016 the average is 19 points below the national average. What are your thoughts?
Screenshot_20190520-073409_Drive.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my official seat!!

Options were Ohio, Illinois, Texas and South Carolina.

I chose Texas

I hope the rest of you guys waiting hear back soon! Best of luck and can’t wait to meet everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up declining my offer. I was offered a pretty sizable scholarship to another school that I just couldn't turn down. Best of luck all, hope one of you gets my spot.

Just got my official seat!!

Options were Ohio, Illinois, Texas and South Carolina.

I chose Texas

I hope the rest of you guys waiting hear back soon! Best of luck and can’t wait to meet everyone

did they call or email you?

I got my full acceptance today as well around 3pm Arizona time. Placed into the Alton, IL CHC. SOMA has been a top choice of mine for a while so I’m very excited to be starting in July!

Reactions: 2 users
Woohooo!!! Congrats. What a wild ride it’s been this cycle but I have a really good feeling about this institution and their vision

Hi everyone, I'm getting a bit anxious! Do we know how many people were on the accepted pending seat list?

they said they will most likely go through the accepted pending seat and will have some movement on the alternate list. For those that interviewed in April or May, do you know if you were interviewing for the "alternate list?"

they said they will most likely go through the accepted pending seat and will have some movement on the alternate list. For those that interviewed in April or May, do you know if you were interviewing for the "alternate list?"

Hey! Did someone from admissions give you this information about movement on the accepted pending seat and alternate lists? I did not interview in April or May but I know people who interviewed in April have been accepted not sure about May. Hope this helps!

Hey! Did someone from admissions give you this information about movement on the accepted pending seat and alternate lists? I did not interview in April or May but I know people who interviewed in April have been accepted not sure about May. Hope this helps!

Hi, yes! someone from admissions did give me this info

Has anyone been accepted here with a sub-500 mcat?

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you fine folks

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know if you get placed in the same CHC in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year? Or do you switch every year?

does anyone know if you get placed in the same CHC in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year? Or do you switch every year?
You will be in the same CHC for all 3 years. However, 4th year is flexible and you can schedule some rotations outside of your CHC.

You will be in the same CHC for all 3 years. However, 4th year is flexible and you can schedule some rotations outside of your CHC.
thank you! what are the chances of switching out from one CHC to another? Does that happen often?

Just withdrew my acceptance today. I was heading to Chicago. Good luck everyone :)

thank you! what are the chances of switching out from one CHC to another? Does that happen often?
No problem! When you're accepted, you'll rank the CHCs based on your preference. Then you'll be added to the waitlists of the ones ranked above the one you get assigned to. Movement depends on your ranking within each CHC's waitlist. I was told that once classes start this year, there will not be any CHC changes and students unfortunately won't be able to trade.

No problem! When you're accepted, you'll rank the CHCs based on your preference. Then you'll be added to the waitlists of the ones ranked above the one you get assigned to. Movement depends on your ranking within each CHC's waitlist. I was told that once classes start this year, there will not be any CHC changes and students unfortunately won't be able to trade.
Students were never allowed to trade spots, at least that was the case for my class. There was only 2 people who were able to switch after the class started.

Students were never allowed to trade spots, at least that was the case for my class. There was only 2 people who were able to switch after the class started.
Yeah it sounds like that's been the case in recent years, though, it had been possible for the Class of 2019.

do we know how long the waitlist is for the AZ or CA sites?

I have been offered a seat at the Brooklyn CHC. I'm currently placed in Scranton PA, and I'm not sure what are the differences between Brooklyn and Scranton. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone! I was accepted earlier this week and the only site available was Ohio! Keeping my fingers crossed for rest of you who are still waiting!! I hope you hear good news soon!

Reactions: 4 users
I have been offered a seat at the Brooklyn CHC. I'm currently placed in Scranton PA, and I'm not sure what are the differences between Brooklyn and Scranton. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Look through the PDFs and PPTs about each one for more information. It's on the same site where you initially clicked the link to rank the CHCs.

Anyone on the alternate waitlist? Anxious to see if there has been any movement. (not the accepted pending seat list)

Anyone on the alternate waitlist? Anxious to see if there has been any movement. (not the accepted pending seat list)
Hello, I was and then got in! Call them to check how far down you are and also let them know you want to go. They will mark it down that you're still interested.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you have to pay the deposit to see which CHCs are available? Or will they tell you this information right when you are accepted? Thanks!

Hello, I was and then got in! Call them to check how far down you are and also let them know you want to go. They will mark it down that you're still interested.

Could you PM me? I have questions about being on the alternate list.

Anyone from the Ohio CHC, can you please share how the facility is like? Is there anything to do nearby, when you are not doing rotations? Im trying to compare this one with the Scranton one in terms of lifestyle. Thanks!

Question for current students, did you buy any of the required text books?