2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED today!!!

Interviewed 1/25

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how quickly it moves? I want to stay hopeful but be realistic at the same time.

Unable to make the March 29th interview. Going on April 26th. I'm assuming spots have already been filled at this point and I'm just interviewing for the alternative list/waitlist?

Unable to make the March 29th interview. Going on April 26th. I'm assuming spots have already been filled at this point and I'm just interviewing for the alternative list/waitlist?

Sounds like a great question for admissions! Congrats on the interview btw. I say if you love the school go for it regardless. People do make it off the alternative list.

I was accepted and pending for an open seat. I emailed them to ask where on the list I was, but they said that they weren't allowed to give this information out. :eek: In the previous posts, people said they called them asking where they were on the list and were given an answer such as halfway or the # in line... I'm confused..... anybody else knows anything about this?

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted and pending for an open seat. I emailed them to ask where on the list I was, but they said that they weren't allowed to give this information out. :eek: In the previous posts, people said they called them asking where they were on the list and were given an answer such as halfway or the # in line... I'm confused..... anybody else knows anything about this?
Congrats! Try calling and if SOMA is your top choice, then definitely let them know that.

This is completely off topic...but is anyone leaving behind a significant other? Is anyone going to try the long distance relationship thing?

This is completely off topic...but is anyone leaving behind a significant other? Is anyone going to try the long distance relationship thing?
Yes, should be interesting trying to find a new balance

Members don't see this ad :)
Long distance is tough. A lot of my classmates are in a long distance relationships and it's working. But I've seen plenty of others that broke up with their partners during school and it adds a new level of stress to things. So make sure you communicate with your partner and let them know how things will be during school.

Reactions: 3 users
Long distance is tough. A lot of my classmates are in a long distance relationships and it's working. But I've seen plenty of others that broke up with their partners during school and it adds a new level of stress to things. So make sure you communicate with your partner and let them know how things will be during school.

Yea long distance is not a healthy way to maintain a relationship. I’ve had the conversation with my significant other about medical school. She knows how demanding it can be and we’ve agreed to make it work the best we can. However, if it’s too straining, we will have to part ways. That’s just the way it is. It’s not fun thinking about it but it’s reality.

Can someone please tell me/show me where I can find the board score averages for ATSU-SOMA students

Yea long distance is not a healthy way to maintain a relationship. I’ve had the conversation with my significant other about medical school. She knows how demanding it can be and we’ve agreed to make it work the best we can. However, if it’s too straining, we will have to part ways. That’s just the way it is. It’s not fun thinking about it but it’s reality.

True. I've been talking about it a lot with my girlfriend and it's honestly a little depressing thinking and talking about it. I think it may work for a little while... but with the hectic schedule of medical school I'm sure it will not be easy to maintain a healthy long distance relationship.

True. I've been talking about it a lot with my girlfriend and it's honestly a little depressing thinking and talking about it. I think it may work for a little while... but with the hectic schedule of medical school I'm sure it will not be easy to maintain a healthy long distance relationship.

Where are you moving from?

II for March 29th. They do MMIs, right? Also, would anyone mind saying how much the deposit(s) is/are?

II for March 29th. They do MMIs, right? Also, would anyone mind saying how much the deposit(s) is/are?
They do a variety of things for the interview part, not solely MMIs. The first deposit is $1000. Second deposit, $1000 due in May.

Interviewing on 2/22 and have a couple questions:
1) Is it easy to get Uber/Lyft to get to the interview from the hotel (in case the hotel doesn't have a shuttle service)?
2) Do they have an area to leave luggage? I'll be heading straight to the airport from the interview.

Thanks!

1) Is it easy to get Uber/Lyft to get to the interview from the hotel (in case the hotel doesn't have a shuttle service)?
2) Do they have an area to leave luggage? I'll be heading straight to the airport from the interview.

Thanks!

Yes and yes.

Anyone know the chances of me getting placed into a CHC I’m on the waitlist for? Not really a fan of my CHC at the moment and it was down on my list.

Anyone know the chances of me getting placed into a CHC I’m on the waitlist for? Not really a fan of my CHC at the moment and it was down on my list.

Where are you placed now and where do you want to be?

When did you submit your secondary?

Way back in August. I don’t remember hearing about the 1+3 curriculum though. Seems cool. Does anyone know if we are able to bounce to different sites each year, or if we are strictly designated to one?

SC right now, Brooklyn was my number 1.
I just got bumped to Brooklyn and I put in my deposit at the end of January so I would say there is a good chance, especially now that there are two Brooklyn sites!

SC right now, Brooklyn was my number 1.

I would say stay optimistic about it! As I stated before, I’ve been bumped twice and it didn’t take long. I bet you’ll see some movement come end of March or early April.

Thanks!
I'll be interviewing that day too! See you there!

What is everyone's reasoning for choosing their respective CHC's? My wife and I are having a hard time deciding which are best when we don't have much to go off of. Right now we are assigned to South Carolina but have the choice of being bumped up to Brooklyn. Pros and cons???

What is everyone's reasoning for choosing their respective CHC's? My wife and I are having a hard time deciding which are best when we don't have much to go off of. Right now we are assigned to South Carolina but have the choice of being bumped up to Brooklyn. Pros and cons???

I chose mine based on research I did on the CHCs via the PowerPoint presentations they provide for us. I picked out what I liked about how certain CHCs did things and that’s how I ranked mine. I’m sure some picked their CHC based on location, if they wanted to stay close to home or simply get away from home.

For me and my wife cost of living was a big part of our ranking. We have 2 kids, so we are hoping to find reasonably priced 3 bedroom apartments. So Hawaii was out of the question for us since a 3 bedroom there is twice the cost of some of the others. Additionally, I wanted to be somewhere where I can use my Spanish language skills, so we looked at the demographics of each of the CHCs. I know some people are interested in practicing in an urban setting, so they are looking for a more urban CHC like Brooklyn, but for me I wouldn’t mind rural so Brooklyn wasn’t at the top of my list. So ultimately I think it depends on your situation and where you think you’ll be happiest. I’m sure all of the CHCs will provide good experiences and a good education, so you just need to decide what you are looking for and go off of that.

For me and my wife cost of living was a big part of our ranking. We have 2 kids, so we are hoping to find reasonably priced 3 bedroom apartments. So Hawaii was out of the question for us since a 3 bedroom there is twice the cost of some of the others. Additionally, I wanted to be somewhere where I can use my Spanish language skills, so we looked at the demographics of each of the CHCs. I know some people are interested in practicing in an urban setting, so they are looking for a more urban CHC like Brooklyn, but for me I wouldn’t mind rural so Brooklyn wasn’t at the top of my list. So ultimately I think it depends on your situation and where you think you’ll be happiest. I’m sure all of the CHCs will provide good experiences and a good education, so you just need to decide what you are looking for and go off of that.

Great response! What CHC did you choose?

Ask Dolores what your deadline is to decide and then ask if you can be connected with a current student there. That's what I did and the major pros for Brooklyn were that my husband and I wouldn't have to move around a lot for rotations (compared to some of the rural CHCs with clinics spread out). 2nd year will be at the NYU Langone Family Health Center in Sunset Park and rotations will be at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center. Another pro is that because all of the SOMA students rotate at the same clinic, you get to see each other often, grab lunch, and unwind. We'd potentially also get to collaborate with NYIT students in rotations, which is awesome. Also, the RDMEs there are incredible and really advocate for you. She encouraged me to reach out to them with my questions. The only major con she listed was the cost of living. Hope this helps!

There are always 2 top reasons why people choose their CHC. Location is the major one, people want to stay close to home, or relativety close. Another one is cost of living, I ranked Hawaii dead last because I did not want to spend extra money living there. I can tell you that some CHCs might not be very popular among students but their location is phenomenal like SC for example.

All the CHCs offer the same education as it is managed by the admins from Mesa. But what differentiates the CHCs is the patient population, the RDMEs, and whether you spend the entirety of third year at one place vs. Having to travel for those core rotations. For example, I know Portland, flagstaff and Seattle CHCs travel to other states to do some rotations. Others like Tucson, Phoenix and NY do not.

II yesterday (2/11/19). The only available date was 4/26. From what I've gathered, all interviews at this point are for "pending admissions" and "alternate list". I'm kind of skeptical that all of the folks on the pending list will make it off that list and into an actual seat with them interviewing that late into April.. They start orientation early July, so that's about a two month turn around from decision to orientation, assuming they take 3-4 weeks to decide fates post-interview.

Also, I'm a little worried what the CHC situation is going to look like for people admitted that late. People have said they mostly end up in their top 3, but at that point I imagine you are pretty much filling the space that's left from everyone else already picking their spots. Being on a waitlist this far into the game seems like a gamble.

I'm also skeptical about the 1+3 style curriculum and how that correlates with board scores.. the fact that they don't openly publish their averages is slightly concerning, though their recent pass rates are good, as is their match percentage (100% on a 3 year rolling basis).

All of that said, I'm excited about the interview and hope it goes well. It's gonna be expensive to get out there, but it's definitely worth traveling the distance to let them address my fears. Everything I've heard about the actual school has been complementary. I'm just glad I already have an acceptance at another school that I can fall back on if I'm not a good fit for the school or if the waitlist (admittance and CHC placement) business doesn't suit me.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a few posts about the remaining interviews being for spots on the alternative/waitlist. Can someone expand on that or point me to a place to learn more about that?

I have an interview 3/29 and I want to know what I can do to maximize my shot at getting an acceptance on top of doing well in the interview. I really like what I hear about this school. Anyone have any tips?

Can anyone that has already interviewed, or is a student there speak to any research opportunities at this school. Thanks!

Can anyone that has already interviewed, or is a student there speak to any research opportunities at this school. Thanks!
I recommend that you contact admissions and ask to be connected with one of their student ambassadors involved with research. They love connecting prospective students with their ambassadors. This is what I found on the website:
  • As a capstone experience during the OMSII Epidemiology and Bio-Statistics course, students conduct a community-oriented primary care research project.

Interviewed 1/25. Placed on an alternate list. Anyone know how quickly it moves?

Also interviewed 1/25 and just got off waitlist today. There's no telling where you're on the list because it's ranked and your spot moves every time they have a new wave of decisions. I'd call Dolores and tell them if you have a deadline to choose between schools and if SOMA is one of your top choices. Worked for me!!

Also interviewed 1/25 and just got off waitlist today. There's no telling where you're on the list because it's ranked and your spot moves every time they have a new wave of decisions. I'd call Dolores and tell them if you have a deadline to choose between schools and if SOMA is one of your top choices. Worked for me!!
Congrats!

Does anyone know how many people are on the Renton, WA waitlist?