2017-2018 Wright State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they will be getting back to students who had mid-December interviews?

Does Wright State accept updates post interview/decision? I am on the waitlist and was not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning. Interviews are Tuesdays and Wednesdays staring 1/17. Secondary was complete on 8/23.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to lose hope
+1.

WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHHHHHT!

tenor.gif

Wait-listed :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:. Hold my beer while I hold my breath.

Accepted today! Postmarked for 12/18 so it took a couple days

Reactions: 3 users
UC vs Boonshoft? Which would you let go? All things considered and why. Some might say an easy choice. But here I am asking anyway.

Do you prefer a competitive environment or more of a team based environment?
I would choose cinci because I like bigger cities and more research opportunities. But the environment tends to be more competitive. I believe the grading systems are similar and not sure about curriculum. Boonshoft is great if you want exposure to more rural medicine and want a bit more sense of community imo.

I would choose cinci because I like bigger cities and more research opportunities. But the environment tends to be more competitive. I believe the grading systems are similar and not sure about curriculum. Boonshoft is great if you want exposure to more rural medicine and want a bit more sense of community imo.
Likewise I would choose boonshoft because I believe the point of med school is to help each other learn medicine. You all have the same end goal of graduating with a medical degree. Also Miami valley is one of their clinical sites and is the busiest er in the state of Ohio. you will get plenty of exposure at Wright state. Cinci absolutely will have more research opportunities if you are into that(I don’t care a whole lot for doing research)

Accepted yesterday by mail!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
To those of you receiving decisions - when did you all interview?

II today, complete in july, there is still hope!
OOS

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone who interviewed from end of Nov. or beginning of Dec. heard anything back yet?

Reactions: 4 users
When do they usually stop sending out IIs? Ive been complete since early/mid August, IS, 511/3.61 (large upward trend). Had some significant research and volunteer updates but the school doesnt accept them :/

UC vs Boonshoft? Which would you let go? All things considered and why. Some might say an easy choice. But here I am asking anyway.

It really just depends on the atmosphere you want to be in. I got into UC, Toledo, and Boonshoft and had to decide between the 3 and in the end I chose Boonshoft and am extremely happy with my decision. The major upside to UC is the access to resources with there being a University hospital and tons of research opportunities. The major upside to Boonshoft is the camaraderie among classmates, "small town" feel within the program, and unique curriculum if you prefer guided self studying. Boonshoft gets a reputation for being very heavy "team based learning" and while there is a lot of team aspect and always people to study with it is much more of an independent study style program. While there isn't lectures there are PI's which are 10-30 question quizzes given by faculty where each answer option is discussed and when less than 70% of students get it correct you get to discuss with classmates. This allows you to take notes on questions as opposed to hundreds of slides, learn the major concepts just as you would in lecture, and keeps you focused so you don't get behind. This was a huge scare for me because I was always a traditional lecture learner but with our curriculum you are given upwards of 50-60 questions a week all based on the assigned readings which truly helps retention and gives a good picture of what to focus on. I don't know much about UC's curriculum as I'm sure it is going through a change since I applied last year but what's really important is your style of studying and the environment you want to be in. Most schools have taken on the pass/fail system for grades which means STEP 1 is now more important than ever for matching into desired residencies so if you find a program that you feel will give you the best opportunity to nail that test then go there. We also have like 4 finals that are NBME which is mostly recycled old STEP 1 questions throughout the first two years and while they are extremely difficult they keep us studying whats going to be on STEP 1 and keep us from getting dragged down in all the extra details that won't be on STEP. I am in the first class with the new curriculum and I'm not going to lie and say there haven't been a lot of bumps in the road but they are extremely efficient at listening to us and making changes and all I can say is I wish I was starting this coming year because the updated curriculum with all of our input is going to be amazing. I also want to point out that our reputation for being a heavy primary care focused school is not true at all. The students that come here with the intentions of specializing have no problem doing so, the statistics that show us matching a large amount of primary care is merely based on the type of person that gets accepted here. Boonshoft does a great job at filtering applicants and finding those that are truly compassionate and want to help people in underserved populations which usually tends to lean towards a primary care career path (not always). Obviously I'm biased and haven't experienced UC as I'm sure their students have just as many good things to say about their curriculum as I do mine so please don't take this as an argument for Boonshoft being better. If I were you I would ignore all the so called "rules" about choosing a school and just go with your gut. If you're happy you will succeed and that's all there really is to it.

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone who interviewed from end of Nov. or beginning of Dec. heard anything back yet?
I interviewed in November right before Thanksgiving and got waitlisted via snail mail not too long ago.

Just got an acceptance in the mail!! Interviewed 12/6

Reactions: 8 users
II this morning! complete end of September!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an interview invite today for March. Can anybody tell me how their interviews went? Especially if you know: whether your interviewers were teaching faculty or community physicians, whether they will only know non-grade and non-MCAT items of my application, and whether it was a “get to know you” kind of experience or getting quizzed with tough questions. Thanks.

I’m OOS, LizzyM ~67, and am new to digging into info about BSOM because I’ve been focusing on my instate schools until recently.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview invite today for March. Can anybody tell me how their interviews went? Especially if you know: whether your interviewers were teaching faculty or community physicians, whether they will only know non-grade and non-MCAT items of my application, and whether it was a “get to know you” kind of experience or getting quizzed with tough questions. Thanks.

I’m OOS, LizzyM ~67, and am new to digging into info about BSOM because I’ve been focusing on my instate schools until recently.

Two interviews, could be with two physicians or one student/one physician. Some seemed to get faculty interviewers, mine happened to be a community physician. Very conversational, "get to know you" type of interviews! Great vibe all around! (Interviewed in Sept, accepted Oct)

Reactions: 1 users
New to SDN

Is there a difference between the Alternate list and Wait list?

New to SDN

Is there a difference between the Alternate list and Wait list?
Essentially, no. At least I haven't found one. I was put on the alternate/wait list in october, and was told I wouldn't hear word of my placement as to what tier until ~May