2018-2019 Wright State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only if your acceptance requires it. It is on a school-by-school basis. Seems like most schools were slow to decide their requirements. Wright didn't have any PTE/CTE deadlines until, what, last week?
wright state requires a CTE on the 17th of June (21 days prior to orientation) which is the recommendation of AMCAS. I am a bit nervous as it is rather early compared to other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

wright state requires a CTE on the 17th of June (21 days prior to orientation) which is the recommendation of AMCAS. I am a bit nervous as it is rather early compared to other schools.

I know they have a CTE date now, but a few weeks ago they did not. They did not even care about PTE until after 4/30 and they realized that students were changing their PTE from Wright to other institutions. My point was that a lot of schools have been SLOW to react to the new traffic rules. It seems that a lot of schools played wait and see and are now setting deadlines at the last minute.

I can already tell that next year will be different as some schools have already set deadlines for next cycle and have put those dates on MSAR.

I think that at this point it is a good thing to have the PTE deadlines and the CTE deadlines, I just with the CTE deadline was a bit later which would help with the waitlist movement

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to the prematriculation program!

Also, thanks for mentioning CTE because I would have had no idea if it were not for this thread. I chose PTE in April and switched to CTE yesterday.

Just curious...when/where did they announce this CTE deadline? Part of the issue is that there's apparently so little clear communication between accepted students and med schools about these deadlines and requirements this year...I'm currently accepted here and was totally unaware of this CTE deadline (as well as the PTE requirement...which I only learned about from their random last minute email on May 3rd ish)

Just curious...when/where did they announce this CTE deadline? Part of the issue is that there's apparently so little clear communication between accepted students and med schools about these deadlines and requirements this year...I'm currently accepted here and was totally unaware of this CTE deadline (as well as the PTE requirement...which I only learned about from their random last minute email on May 3rd ish)

They didn't have an PTE/CTE deadlines set prior to 4/30. It is a complete reaction to what they saw on and after 4/30. I'm sure next cycle it will be clearer.

Reactions: 1 user

They didn't have an PTE/CTE deadlines set prior to 4/30. It is a complete reaction to what they saw on and after 4/30. I'm sure next cycle it will be clearer.

If this is the case I hope they send out a formal announcement to the accepted students. I specifically asked them about a CTE date (granted I asked before 4/30) and they told me they didn't have one - and I haven't gotten updates since their initial response.

Reactions: 2 users
are a lot of accepted people on this forum actually set on attending WSU or mostly just waiting it out to see if you get off a waitlist at another school?

Members don't see this ad :)
are a lot of accepted people on this forum actually set on attending WSU or mostly just waiting it out to see if you get off a waitlist at another school?

Personally, I've already made arrangements to attend Boonshoft but I am WL'd at some other schools. One of which is my dream school - that I would gladly give up my position here for (others would probably depend on financial aid). But since WL movement is really slow and Boonshoft's CTE date is pretty early, I don't anticipate that happening.

So if others are like me (on other WLs hoping for movement) Boonshoft's early CTE date will probably not help those waitlisted here unless waitlist movement picks up across the board before then. Idk about others but I'm not risking losing my acceptance here for a shot of getting off the waitlist somewhere else by messing around with the CTE date (idk if there's a way for them to find out I'd still be on waitlists but I don't think I'd be willing to take that chance).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I've already made arrangements to attend Boonshoft but I am WL'd at some other schools. One of which is my dream school - that I would gladly give up my position here for (others would probably depend on financial aid). But since WL movement is really slow and Boonshoft's CTE date is pretty early, I don't anticipate that happening.

So if others are like me (on other WLs hoping for movement) Boonshoft's early CTE date will probably not help those waitlisted here unless waitlist movement picks up across the board before then. Idk about others but I'm not risking losing my acceptance here for a shot of getting off the waitlist somewhere else by messing around with the CTE date (idk if there's a way for them to find out I'd still be on waitlists but I don't think I'd be willing to take that chance).

^^Ditto to all of this. Also accepted, but also still hoping for other dream school tbh

Praying we all get in where we want to go. If the situation arises, how does dropping post acceptance work? Do loans transfer?

Keep the hope alive team....this is not fun but there will be movement at some point :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
Keep the hope alive team....this is not fun but there will be movement at some point :xf:
I found 13 schools that have CTE deadlines before WSU, the list wasn't close to exhaustive but was around 50 schools in length, hope that means something to someone.

Reactions: 4 users
If all goes as planned we need to throw a waitlist acceptance party haha

Hoping for movement today

FYI - Here is the email that went out today:

Wright State Alert- Wright State University's Dayton Campus is closed Tuesday, May 28, due to a campus power outage.
All classes and activities are canceled. All university offices and libraries are closed.
Dayton Campus will re-open at 6:59 a.m. Wednesday, May 29.
Please do not call police about the power outage unless you have an emergency to report.
Wright State will send an email when power has been restored.

Have not received an email saying that power is back up, so wouldn't be at all surprised if campus is closed tomorrow.

Also, anyone know how close the tornado(s) were to the school? Saw that there where quite a few injuries and a fatality from the storm :(

FYI - Here is the email that went out today:

Wright State Alert- Wright State University's Dayton Campus is closed Tuesday, May 28, due to a campus power outage.
All classes and activities are canceled. All university offices and libraries are closed.
Dayton Campus will re-open at 6:59 a.m. Wednesday, May 29.
Please do not call police about the power outage unless you have an emergency to report.
Wright State will send an email when power has been restored.

Have not received an email saying that power is back up, so wouldn't be at all surprised if campus is closed tomorrow.

Also, anyone know how close the tornado(s) were to the school? Saw that there where quite a few injuries and a fatality from the storm :(
One touched down very close, they are estimating it was at least an EF3. I live in Riverside (approx. 2.5 miles West of campus) and the tornado went right through our area. Significant structural damage to many buildings in the neighborhood. Additionally, many businesses/homes sustained serious damage on N. Fairfield Rd., which is very close to campus. I do not think the campus itself was in the direct path. Injuries and one casualty are reported from a separate tornado in Celina, Ohio (~ 75 miles north of Dayton and home to Wright State's Lake campus).

• Wow
Has anyone started to buy supplies in preparation for school yet? I’m trying to determine which electronics I should be purchasing for note-taking and studying. Does anyone know what the majority of current students use?

Just thought I give my fellow waitlisters an update...there has been no activity this week. The very nice admissions individual informed me to check back in next week because some individuals may withdraw over the weekend...

i still can't believe this waitlist movement.

Does anyone know how the M2's did on their USMLE step 1? I hear it went poorly but have not heard a concrete number on it yet.

I heard today the average was 234 via word of mouth.

I highly doubt that, I know several students who failed (less than 180) so just based on that I doubt that the school's average would be above 50th percentile (230). Also I have never heard of a school that would not tell people if it's average was above a 230

I heard today the average was 234 via word of mouth.
Hasnt the average historically been around 224? I doubt they would have a 10 point jump, especially since they emphasized at my interview that they do not worry about numbers on standardized exams (I think they were referencing the MCAT but current students said the mentality rolls over to STEP as well)

if you are going to an accredited Med school that means that material being presented to you and students at Harvard, Yale, Standford will be presented to you...now the presentation itself may differ. It is on the students to synthesize this information while maintaining their focus on board prep simaltaneoulsy. Historically, the MCAT average shows that Wright state accepts less competitive students which may result in a below average score because students aren't as focused as being in the top specialities or scoring high. Nonetheless students from every class from wright state reach every speciality.

MAIN POINT: you get the same material from any other accredited medical school..how serious you take your studies and the effort you put into board prep will correlate with your score. Focusing on average numbers is useless...you decide with your work ethic and efficiency of where you will be against the national average.

Reactions: 3 users
WSU said that per AMCAS rules, one is required to drop all other WLs. So I guess by June 17th, most of us WLs should know where we stand?

AAMC has put forth suggestions, not rules, that's why I was saying it was on a school by school basis. If the CTE deadline is 6/17, I think by the next day WSU should know how many more offers to make.

plus apparently they allow accepted students to defer on a case by case basis so thats also a thing.

AAMC has put forth suggestions, not rules, that's why I was saying it was on a school by school basis. If the CTE deadline is 6/17, I think by the next day WSU should know how many more offers to make.

Just so you all have all the information, here is the official communication from BSOM to accepted students:

Beginning June 17th, we will require accepted students to select Commit to Enroll (CTE). Once a student selects CTE, they should withdraw their names from all other medical schools' waitlists. A student who has not selected CTE in a timely fashion and/or is not responsive to our communication efforts risks being automatically withdrawn from Boonshoft School of Medicine. Because of this we ask that you pay very close attention to your email and voice mail. As well, you should respond to any calls or emails as soon as possible but within two business days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you all have all the information, here is the official communication to accepted students:

Beginning June 17th, we will require accepted students to select Commit to Enroll (CTE). Once a student selects CTE, they should withdraw their names from all other medical schools' waitlists. A student who has not selected CTE in a timely fashion and/or is not responsive to our communication efforts risks being automatically withdrawn from Boonshoft School of Medicine. Because of this we ask that you pay very close attention to your email and voice mail. As well, you should respond to any calls or emails as soon as possible but within two business days.

Yup, school-by-school basis. Was only commenting that AAMC puts forth suggestions, not rules.

Just so you all have all the information, here is the official communication to accepted students:

just for clarity this is from boonshoft?

here is the humor for the day

Attachments

• cte deadline.jpg
    cte deadline.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 101
I called and they mentioned they are towards the bottom of the first tier for waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users