2017-2018 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that have done your phone interview, did they ask any school specific questions? I know it is done by an independent contractor but I’m still wondering if it is specific to the school
"We have designed a telephone interview to help us learn more about your personal attributes. "

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the phone interview was super weird, I have no idea how mine went. Hopefully I'll hear back soon...

"We have designed a telephone interview to help us learn more about your personal attributes. "
I get that. I got the email describing it. I’m just wondering if they’ll ask about reasoning behind our own specific interests in the school or if it’s all just answering general questions about our attributes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get that. I got the email describing it. I’m just wondering if they’ll ask about reasoning behind our own specific interests in the school or if it’s all just answering general questions about our attributes.

A third party performs this interview, and it is not at all specific to this institution itself.

Reactions: 1 user
This may have been mentioned already, but does this school accept update letters?

I had my phone interview on September 8th and I still haven't heard anything from Wmed about an II...has anyone else been waiting this long?

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected via portal, no phone interview. Pretty bummed about this one :(
LizzyM 68, OOS with ties to Michigan but not SW Michigan. Experiences review was complete late September.

Last edited:
Rejected on portal today :( No email yet. Experiences review completed in September.

Any tips for interviewing in January? (ie. what to bring/wear for the weather if we're coming from somewhere like CA)

Also, what is the "structured" interview? Advice on prep or is this something we can't really prep for?

Any tips for interviewing in January? (ie. what to bring/wear for the weather if we're coming from somewhere like CA)

Also, what is the "structured" interview? Advice on prep or is this something we can't really prep for?
Wear a coat, there will be coat rack available as well as place to store luggage. Can't really prep for structured interview content wise, just prepare yourself to be good at general interview and interpersonal skills

Could anyone who went for a campus interview talk about the general structure/schedule of the day?
And also, just how much time is spent outdoors during the day or on the tour?

I have my interview coming up soon and I'm coming from a state that doesn't really have seasons...

Could anyone who went for a campus interview talk about the general structure/schedule of the day?
And also, just how much time is spent outdoors during the day or on the tour?

I have my interview coming up soon and I'm coming from a state that doesn't really have seasons...
The morning is all presentations and the afternoon is interviews and financial aid. You don't go outside at all so you don't have to worry about being cold :)

Anyone else from out of town interviewing Jan 12th? Considering trying to save costs by splitting a hotel room and/or rental car (probably flying into Detroit and driving)

Members don't see this ad :)
After the interview does everyone’s portal get tabs for “events” and “financials”? Or was it there before and I didn’t notice?

After the interview does everyone’s portal get tabs for “events” and “financials”? Or was it there before and I didn’t notice?

I'm pre-II and I don't have those tabs

I have been on waitlist since like 10/17 and I have those tabs too. Everyone gets them after interview I think, I had them before I got my decision (or indecision lol)

I have been on waitlist since like 10/17 and I have those tabs too. Everyone gets them after interview I think, I had them before I got my decision (or indecision lol)
Thanks for your input!

II this AM, phone interview completed 12/2. First available interview date was this Friday so I just decided to send it so I'll be there Friday :laugh:

Also got an II, four months after my phone interview. Didn't see any January dates. There were two in Feb and one in March

Just got invited for a phone interview today. I finished my AMCAS late September, the WMED secondary early October, and my experiences review was complete mid-October.

This is actually the first school from which I've heard anything (no rejections no IIs). A couple schools sent updates saying that the review process was taking a long time and that they'd review my application eventually. It felt a bit like being told, as I stood in application purgatory, that I was indeed in application purgatory.

Just got invited for a phone interview today. I finished my AMCAS late September, the WMED secondary early October, and my experiences review was complete mid-October.

This is actually the first school from which I've heard anything (no rejections no IIs). A couple schools sent updates saying that the review process was taking a long time and that they'd review my application eventually. It felt a bit like being told, as I stood in application purgatory, that I was indeed in application purgatory.

Good luck. I'm sure you have good news coming...

II yesterday but declining, hope one of you amazing human beings can benefit from this spot! Complete phone interview back in mid August, OOS, LM71.

:cat:

Reactions: 2 users
Also FYI that the email about me being waitlisted came to my personal email that I have no clue how they got - it's not the email my AMCAS uses. So check all your email addresses lol.

Would anyone be able to give me any insight into how "random" the phone interview questions are? Just trying to see if its something really out of left field or if its more easy to answer based in your personality. Thanks! :rofl:

Would anyone be able to give me any insight into how "random" the phone interview questions are? Just trying to see if its something really out of left field or if its more easy to answer based in your personality. Thanks! :rofl:
They are pretty out of left field. You will be able to answer them all, and definitely take time to think if you need it. But they are completely unrelated to each other and don't seem to have any rhyme or reason (though I'm sure they do)

Maybe I'm overlooking somthing, but I can't seem to find anything about where I should actually go for my interview. Anyone know where to find this info?

Maybe I'm overlooking somthing, but I can't seem to find anything about where I should actually go for my interview. Anyone know where to find this info?
They will send you an email ahead of time to tell you specifics, but you can find more info here too: Application Process | WMed

Has no one heard decisions since November?

FYI If you interviewed you might get a New Years/Holiday’s postcard from WMed. Mine came today.. they keep flirting with me since I’m on the waitlist

The way the admissions offer is worded sounds like you have to commit to matriculating at WMED. In the event that you decide a different program is a better fit, are you allowed to withdraw later if you accept the offer now like other schools allow?

The way the admissions offer is worded sounds like you have to commit to matriculating at WMED. In the event that you decide a different program is a better fit, are you allowed to withdraw later if you accept the offer now like other schools allow?
Yes, I am sure all schools that work through AMCAS have to abide by that rule.

Accepted! On my birthday! 12/1 interview

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody know the numbers/percentage of phone interviews that end up being offered offered a campus interview?

They told us at the 12/8 interview that we should hear before Christmas.

I didn't know that meant they'd wait until like the LAST POSSIBLE DAY

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

They told us at the 12/8 interview that we should hear before Christmas.

I didn't know that meant they'd wait until like the LAST POSSIBLE DAY

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
The anticipation is killing me! Did they say they’ll let us know by Friday?

Does anyone know what the structured interview entails? is it like an MMI?

Just got the phone call! Accepted!

Interviewed 12/8

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call! Accepted!!! Interviewed 12/8.

Got the email this afternoon - waitlisted. Interviewed 12/8. I'm not crushed but was really hoping for a call since I really love the school! Congrats to those who received acceptances!!

Accepted on Friday (12/15) Good luck everyone :)

Accepted yesterday via email!!! Interviewed 12/15. I’m not sure if they called as I’m out of the country with no cell service! My first acceptance and I’m so excited to know that I’m really going to be a doctor!

Anyone still waiting for a II after a phone interview? Starting to lose hope :/ phone interviewed 10/12