2017-2018 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have an idea when us pre-interview holds might hear back?

I’ve got two DO acceptances but I used to live in Texas and would love to return.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we can take notes when we're reading the prompt (those 2 minutes before entering the room)? I know some schools that do allow this, and was wondering if UIW does?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we can take notes when we're reading the prompt (those 2 minutes before entering the room)? I know some schools that do allow this, and was wondering if UIW does?

You can't take notes for this one. That being said, I don't think you would need to. The eight minutes FLEW by. Best of luck.

When were you complete?

I feel like a lot of people are getting that email and that maybe my application is just silently being rejected. I want an email like that :( ... preferably an II, but the silence is killing me.

I Was complete the beginning of October. Haven't hear anything since

I'll be interviewing on Dec. 9th. I applied super late (around Early October). I received my secondary October 16th.

I was reviewing their curriculum. It seems a little strange compared to other medical schools. I'm hoping current students or anyone with some experience in that department might comment on this. I don't presume to know what makes a curriculum overtly good or bad but there seems to be a general consensus and breaks from the norm can either be really good or really bad (from my life experience).

I'll be interviewing on Dec. 9th. I applied super late (around Early October). I received my secondary October 16th.

I was reviewing their curriculum. It seems a little strange compared to other medical schools. I'm hoping current students or anyone with some experience in that department might comment on this. I don't presume to know what makes a curriculum overtly good or bad but there seems to be a general consensus and breaks from the norm can either be really good or really bad (from my life experience).

I just had my interview there, and was a little hesitant on the curriculum at first, but after hearing about it and why they do it, it seems to actually be very effective. Current students seemed to love it. It is a very integrated curriculum, and students receive early clinical experience!

I just had my interview there, and was a little hesitant on the curriculum at first, but after hearing about it and why they do it, it seems to actually be very effective. Current students seemed to love it. It is a very integrated curriculum, and students receive early clinical experience!
Hmmm. Well hopefully when I go to interview I get the same vibe. I'm being a little more skeptical as obviously they have no comlex scores to report on yet. It seems that there is a huge chunk of time off in the program compared to others that I have seen. It is definitely a good sign if present students have positive things to say about it. As far as clinical experience from what I have found that seems to be extremely common, which I guess means it might not be considered early anymore, haha. I'm hoping I get nothing but good vibes out of the school, and I think it would be awesome to move to San Antonio.

Edit: Apparently I had the wrong city on my mind at the time I wrote that hahah

Anyone here interviewing on 12/9 and flying in Friday afternoon in San Antonio?

I’m interested in coordinating maybe splitting an Uber/Taxi or something to get to the hotels near the school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So did anyone who got the weird "we don't have space to interview you, but you're not rejected, maybe later" email hear back from the school?

I got the "we don't have space to interview you" email but got an II a week later so for those of you that did get that email there's still a chance

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a post-acceptance e-mail detailing our matriculation requirements?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything this week?
Or are they closed this week for the holiday?

Hi everyone,

For those who have interviewed here, do you have any tips for the MMI? What is the MMI structure of this school?
Are there actors? Or are there faculty members who ask questions? Is it booth formatted or do we walk into private rooms?

As it's getting closer, the more nervous I'm getting. I don't know how else to prepare for the interview!!! Help!

Hi everyone,

For those who have interviewed here, do you have any tips for the MMI? What is the MMI structure of this school?
Are there actors? Or are there faculty members who ask questions? Is it booth formatted or do we walk into private rooms?

As it's getting closer, the more nervous I'm getting. I don't know how else to prepare for the interview!!! Help!

I have not interviewed at this school yet, but I wanted to mention that oftentimes programs make you sign an agreement to not share certain aspects of the experience with anyone else. I think content is the main concern there, but it’s good to be careful! Overall, if you’re prepared in terms of the broad content area that may be discussed and in the realm of interpersonal skills, small variations in structure (like whether there are roleplaying scenarios or just discussions) probably shouldn’t phase you. Just my 2 cents.

Anyhow, I have done 3 MMIs now, and I’ve found this guy’s videos extremely relevant and helpful. I recommend watching a couple to get a good sense of how he approaches the problems then for the next videos pausing and writing down or stating your own thought process. When you feel comfortable, you can just pause the video right after the scenario is described, time yourself at 6-8 minutes, and record yourself giving a well-reasoned and compassionate response, then follow up with watching the video. If you came to one of the recommended responses or used a similar thought process, you’re probably in great shape!

I think I pretty much watched them all using this strategy, and I did find that the thought process and focusing on some of the values he brings up (autonomy, competency, etc.) helps immensely with feeling prepared and comfortable for most MMI interview questions. I literally found myself grinning after reading some scenarios because I felt so comfortable with the content after watching the videos, and I got to focus on readying myself for the social interaction. Recording yourself should also help with soft skills, which matter for any interview type/scenario.

Watch some videos on basic interview etiquette (good posture, good eye contact, introducing yourself and asking their name, strong but not overly jumpy handshake—moderately firm grip with a single shake—not interrupting, smiling throughout) and watch some videos on active listening techniques. I took counseling classes in college and found that a lot of the techniques for conveying care, human interest, and professionalism apply in just about any professional setting.

For any interview, know your application well. Read your AMCAS, TMDSAS, etc. application and your transcripts over, and anticipate some related questions. Any gaps in your education or moments of weakness? Be prepared to discuss those with insight and humble confidence. Know what you liked about different courses, even courses seemingly unrelated to medicine. Be able to discuss your hobbies and how you take care of yourself. Be able to remark on each of your activities and what you learned from them as well as challenges you faced. Look up some wildcard questions (“What kind of soda would you be and why?”—Asked during an interview unrelated to medicine, so I can share that with you) and become comfortable thinking about things like that. Be able to list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses (nothing too extreme that would make you a bad physician, but an actual weakness—mine have been stubbornness and ease of boredom—and discuss how you make a point to combat it in your behavior if not your initial impulses) and apply one of those to various question types.

Definitely know your specific reasons for being interested in the program. Rereading your secondary application essays may help with this, but do some more research, too. I have made interview prep documents for each of my II schools and listed unique advantages of hypothetically attending each institution. Location is fine, but that shouldn’t be your main reason for interest in the program. You should know why it’s a good “fit” for you in terms of the way they have organized their program and what opportunities they offer. Maybe you really like the Pass/Fail grading policy because you feel it facilitates cameraderie between students, and you thrive in mutually encouraging team environments. Maybe you have an interest in several ongoing research projects at the school, community service opportunities, or clerkship (normally 3rd/4th year clinical rotation) sites. Find out what makes the school special to you and why you could be special to the school.

Finally, if you run across a topic you know nothing about (say, the specifics of Trumpcare—it’s kept going through change after change, so I doubt you’ll have to know much about it, but I can’t remark on whether I’ve been asked about it so far), you can always ask more questions. Of course, read about medically relevant news as well as culturally and politically relevant news, because really anything is on the table as long as it can help the interviewers get a sense of your logical reasoning abilities, communication skills, understanding of ethics, and empathy. Supposedly you aren’t being tested on your science knowledge, but it definitely doesn’t hurt to know the names of common medications, basics about healthcare policy, recent research developments, etc.

Best of luck! This is your time to shine. It’s okay to be nervous, but just remember how awesome it is that you’ve made it this far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am considering cancelling my interview here, as I have been accepted to another DO program and am wondering if interviewing at several others is really necessary when I am already waiting to hear from MDs I really liked. (There’s also the possibility of IIs from schools that have been silent so far, most of which I would probably prefer to UIW). I am not Catholic and am wondering how comfortable I would be at this school as an LGBT person. I am also concerned about how new the program is and what opportunities I would have here compared to the other schools I have IIs for. However, I am a TX resident and do enjoy the San Antonio area, and this is my only IS II. The integrated curriculum also sounds cool to me. Do you guys think it’s worth it just to see if I might really like it? Is it pretty much always bad to give up an opportunity to visit a school? I’m pretty much broke after going on a few interviews, and I have a few more to go, before considering potential late II invites. I could really use the money earned at work while not at the interview. Really torn on what decision to make here and would appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:
I am considering cancelling my interview here, as I have been accepted to another DO program and am wondering if interviewing at 3 others is really necessary when I am already waiting to hear from 2 MDs that I really liked. (There’s also the possibility of IIs from schools that have been silent so far, most of which I would probably prefer to UIW). I am not Catholic and am wondering how comfortable I would be at this school as an LGBT atheist. I am also concerned about how new the program is and what opportunities I would have here compared to the other schools I have IIs for. However, I am a TX resident and do enjoy the San Antonio area, and this is my only IS II. The integrated curriculim also sounds cool to me. Do you guys think it’s worth it just to see if I might really like it? Is it pretty much always bad to give up an opportunity to visit a school? I’m pretty much broke after going on 3 interviews, and I have 3 more to go including this one. I could really use the money earned at work while not at the interview. Really torn on what decision to make here and would appreciate some feedback.

As much as I’d love to have your spot, I think you should go. Why not check it out? Trip there can’t be that expensive given you’re IS.

Just out of pure curiosity...What’s the going rate for tuition? I think last year I heard north of 60k /yr. is that true?

Just out of pure curiosity...What’s the going rate for tuition? I think last year I heard north of 60k /yr. is that true?

I believe it is 57k including fees.

I am considering cancelling my interview here, as I have been accepted to another DO program and am wondering if interviewing at several others is really necessary when I am already waiting to hear from MDs I really liked. (There’s also the possibility of IIs from schools that have been silent so far, most of which I would probably prefer to UIW). I am not Catholic and am wondering how comfortable I would be at this school as an LGBT person. I am also concerned about how new the program is and what opportunities I would have here compared to the other schools I have IIs for. However, I am a TX resident and do enjoy the San Antonio area, and this is my only IS II. The integrated curriculum also sounds cool to me. Do you guys think it’s worth it just to see if I might really like it? Is it pretty much always bad to give up an opportunity to visit a school? I’m pretty much broke after going on a few interviews, and I have a few more to go, before considering potential late II invites. I could really use the money earned at work while not at the interview. Really torn on what decision to make here and would appreciate some feedback.

I would definitely consider going. Though being a Catholic institution may cause some concerns, they are really very friendly and desire to have a diverse class. One of the current med students that I talked to on my interview was Muslim (and I think some professors are as well), and a fellow interviewee was LGBT. Both seemed very comfortable.

Regarding the school being new, I totally understand. I was a bit nervous as well until I reached out to them about their clinical rotation sites and their work creating new residencies in San Antonio and South Texas. Apparently, they have affiliation agreements with each of the major hospitals in San Antonio (Baptist, Methodist, University, etc.), in addition to many clinics. Further, they already have some residencies set up and are working on setting up quite a few more with some of the major hospitals, all of which are important for a new school. From what I can tell, they are taking the clinical portion of the education very seriously.

Also keep in mind that staying in Texas may help with getting a good residency come graduation. The state of Texas has invested several millions of dollars in residency creation and basically guarantees 1.1 spots per 1 Texas medical school applicant (UIWSOM was included in their goal). The state really wants to keep the graduates in the state to practice.

I would definitely consider going. Though being a Catholic institution may cause some concerns, they are really very friendly and desire to have a diverse class. One of the current med students that I talked to on my interview was Muslim (and I think some professors are as well), and a fellow interviewee was LGBT. Both seemed very comfortable.

Regarding the school being new, I totally understand. I was a bit nervous as well until I reached out to them about their clinical rotation sites and their work creating new residencies in San Antonio and South Texas. Apparently, they have affiliation agreements with each of the major hospitals in San Antonio (Baptist, Methodist, University, etc.), in addition to many clinics. Further, they already have some residencies set up and are working on setting up quite a few more with some of the major hospitals, all of which are important for a new school. From what I can tell, they are taking the clinical portion of the education very seriously.

Also keep in mind that staying in Texas may help with getting a good residency come graduation. The state of Texas has invested several millions of dollars in residency creation and basically guarantees 1.1 spots per 1 Texas medical school applicant (UIWSOM was included in their goal). The state really wants to keep the graduates in the state to practice.

Wow--I had no idea about the in-state residency incentives. This is also among the least expensive schools I get to visit, and so many physicians are moving to Texas to reap some of the benefits of the healthcare laws here...There are certainly some reasons to stay. And it makes me feel more comfortable that they have some cultural diversity and relationships with big hospitals for clerkships. I think I'll go! Thank you for all your helpful input.

Are they biasing in favor of in-state applicants for residency?
Are they biasing in favor of in-state applicants for residency?

There would be favor for Texas graduates since the funds come from the state and they want those that benefit from the funds to practice in the state after residency. There is a higher chance of that if the graduate already has roots in the state, either from having been raised there or graduated from a medical school in state.

Also important to note, the majority of these new residencies are going to be in primary care. Texas ranks near last in the nation when it comes to primary care access, so it is the responsible thing to do for the state to focus on that area. It doesn't hurt that Texas is one of the higher paying states for primary care (many rural locations that pay higher).

I can't post links, but do a google search for "TheCB GME expansion" and you can find a bunch of information regarding the Texas legislature's increase in funding for GME. There is a specific article titled, "An Assessment of Opportunities for Graduates of Texas Medical Schools to Enter Graduate Medical Education in Texas" that mentions UIWSOM on page 14.

Snippet from one of the pages:

"In 2015, the 84th Texas Legislature streamlined these efforts and appropriated $53 million to increase the number of first-year residency positions and to establish new residency programs. The 85th Texas Legislature increased funding to $97.1 million to continue support for the program in the 2018-2019 biennium. A portion of the funding, $21.8 million, was appropriated from the Permanent Fund for GME."

Best of luck! This is your time to shine. It’s okay to be nervous, but just remember how awesome it is that you’ve made it this far.

You are awesome beyond words! Thank you for taking the time to giving me (and the rest of this forum) some really valuable advice!!

You are awesome beyond words! Thank you for taking the time to giving me (and the rest of this forum) some really valuable advice!!

No problem! We can see each other as competition, or we can realize we are all in this together. I favor the latter! Plus, it probably helps me more than anyone for me to spell out my interview prep strategies (just like how teachers often learn more than their students because they have to clarify the material). It’s a win-win!

Secondary submitted 10/20, II 11/10 OOS

Last edited:

I identify myself as LGBT & non-Catholic as well. During my interview, I had the opportunity to talk to a gay professor who was ridiculously nice. He noted how at first, he was afraid of not being accepted but his experience was quite the opposite. He found that even though UIW is a Catholic school, they are really accepting and open. He told me not to let fear of being discriminated against because of my sexual orientation play a role in my decision to attend the school. That being said, I would not worry about it!

Reactions: 3 users
I identify myself as LGBT & non-Catholic as well. During my interview, I had the opportunity to talk to a gay professor who was ridiculously nice. He noted how at first, he was afraid of not being accepted but his experience was quite the opposite. He found that even though UIW is a Catholic school, they are really accepting and open. He told me not to let fear of being discriminated against because of my sexual orientation play a role in my decision to attend the school. That being said, I would not worry about it!
While I do not identify with the LGBT community, it does speak volumes about the schools ability to be open minded which is always a hesitation with religion affiliated schools. This comforts me going into my interview on the 9th.

To any UIWSOM MS1 who happens to see this post or interviewees that have more insight:

1. Are there lectures? I know UIW doesn't have formal, traditional-style lectures and endorses self-study. But is it actually 100% PBL + self-study, or is some form of online lecture part of the curriculum?

2. What are students tested on? I understand there are essay-based exams. So, do these exams test students on PBL cases, course packets, or some form of video lectures? How would you compare them objectively/subjectively to MCQ-based exams?

3. How much time do you feel students have to study board-relevant material? With such an emphasis on PBL, do you feel time is restricted from focusing on the high-yield information we're required to know for Level/Step 1?

Last edited:
To any UIWSOM MS1 who happens to see this post or interviewees that have more insight:

1. Are there lectures? I know UIW doesn't have formal, traditional-style lectures and endorses self-study. But is it actually 100% PBL + self-study, or is some form of online lecture part of the curriculum?

2. What are students tested on? I understand there are essay-based exams. So, do these exams test students on PBL cases, course packets, or some form of video lectures? How would you compare them objectively/subjectively to MCQ-based exams?

3. How much time do you feel students have to study board-relevant material? With such an emphasis on PBL, do you feel time is restricted from focusing on the high-yield information we're required to know for Level/Step 1?
+1

Does anyone know if their grading is true Pass/Fail? Or is it high pass/low pass etc? Also is it ranked?

Does anyone know how full the class is already? is it even worth applying to at this point? I know some schools interview into march, I just wasn't sure about this school. Thanks!

+1?
I got II = interview invite.....
A succinct way of saying, “I’d like to know the answer to this question, too!”

Does anyone know how full the class is already? is it even worth applying to at this point? I know some schools interview into march, I just wasn't sure about this school. Thanks!

I don’t know how full it is right now, but I do know this is among the schools that are friendly to late applications. Even though they have like a 30-days-from-the-day-you-receive-a-secondary-app-invite deadline, they let me submit my app and sent me an II just a few weeks after I did. I completed the essays months before but logged into the portal and realized my dad never paid the submission fee and submitted the app like he said he did, which should have disqualified me, but it didn’t. I just called them and explained the situation, and they were totally chill about it.

I also advised my friend to apply a couple weeks ago even though she was worried it was too late, and she got a quick invite! So I say go for it :)

A succinct way of saying, “I’d like to know the answer to this question, too!”

I don’t know how full it is right now, but I do know this is among the schools that are friendly to late applications. Even though they have like a 30-days-from-the-day-you-receive-a-secondary-app-invite deadline, they let me submit my app and sent me an II just a few weeks after I did. I completed the essays months before but logged into the portal and realized my dad never paid the submission fee and submitted the app like he said he did, which should have disqualified me, but it didn’t. I just called them and explained the situation, and they were totally chill about it.

I also advised my friend to apply a couple weeks ago even though she was worried it was too late, and she got a quick invite! So I say go for it :)

Hey Thank you so much for your input! I will be applying this week!

has anyone gotten a secondary from this school recently? i know they screen

I did a month ago. Pretty quickly after the the first app got a secondary. Waiting on an II :(. Nothing yet. I’ve been telling myself the holiday caused a delay lol. Has anyone else heard anything from the school?

For any hopefuls out there this info may help. I received acceptance from UIW in late September and they gave (I assume everyone from that first initial email) up til December 14th 2017 to either accept or decline. Strong assumption that after this date, the pipeline for people waiting for secondaries and interviews will start moving again. Best of luck!

Interviewed on November 17, just got accepted!
$1200 deposit by December 30 to accept

Now have to decide between UIW and NYIT-AR (I would love any advice on this of anyone has expertise)

Got waitlisted here today haven’t seen others getting waitlisted so do I still have hope or do they actually send out rejection letters. If anyone else has been waitlisted here, let me know!

Got waitlisted here today haven’t seen others getting waitlisted so do I still have hope or do they actually send out rejection letters. If anyone else has been waitlisted here, let me know!
Waitlisted as well

Interviewed on November 17, just got accepted!
$1200 deposit by December 30 to accept

Now have to decide between UIW and NYIT-AR (I would love any advice on this of anyone has expertise)

I'm no expert, but of those choices I would go with UIW (I am biased perhaps though, since I am a Texas resident :) ). I also had an interview at NYIT-AR, but cancelled it after my acceptance to UIW. They have a few similarities, in that they are close to the same tuition/fees (expensive as all get out) and are newer (though NYIT-AR is linked to the main campus so it is fully accredited I think).

What made UIW the better choice for ME (besides that my in-laws live in San Antonio so will be there to keep my wife sane while I am in school haha):

You will be graduating from a state that is dedicated to increasing residencies to the level of 1.1 to every 1 student graduating in the state. Also, Texas is a physician friendly state to practice in with higher pay for several specialties and greater protections from lawsuits (look up Texas Tort Claims Act for more information there).

UIW is in a large city, with MANY large hospital systems nearby for both clinical rotations and residencies. I know that UIW has already created some residencies within the city and in Laredo (eghh, not that great for me), and they are working on several more with systems such as the Baptist health system and Christus health system (which, by the way, the sisters of the incarnate word created, so it is connected somewhat to UIW). When I last talked to admissions, there are agreements with nearly every hospital in the city for rotations, along with many clinics. UIW sent us an online meeting invite for next week to discuss what they have set up so far, in addition to what is planned. I will update after that.

I personally think the curriculum format at UIW sounds intriguing. It doesn't sound like there are required lectures, since there really aren't traditional lectures. NYIT-AR kinda turned me off when I read that some of their lectures would be broadcasted from the main campus. I work in a hospital system that uses a lot of broadcasted team communications with the different sites in the system, which inevitably leaves someone feeling like their site was not important (which the AR site would because they wouldn't be the ones in charge of anything, it all comes from the main site).

Ultimately, I think you will get a great education regardless. All things being equal, it comes down to what feels right to you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I bet a TON of movement occurs at this school after the match in February!

They send out try next year “rejection” letters. I got one last year I applied wayyyyyyy late in the cycle, but figured I’d still try . There’s hope! I saw someone earlier on the thread get called off the waitlist.