2017-2018 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the secondary! @chizledfrmstone

lain how your exposure to and experience in the medical profession has helped prepare you for osteopathic studies? Provide specific examples.

Current Word Count: 0/250

UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?

Current Word Count: 0/250

Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include tools used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Applied, still haven't received an invite.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Niice! Still haven't gotten mine yet, but this is another school I'm really interested in! Excellent location and despite it being basically brand new, it certainly looks promising.

I submitted on the very first day and my last name starts with A- just a few factors why I probably got one yesterday. I'm sure you'll get yours today or tomorrow, but definitely call the office of admissions to make sure. I did that with a school and it turned out there was an emailing issue between us.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know what criteria is required to receive a secondary from UIW? Is it purely just a minimum MCAT/GPA or is there more to it than that for their initial screening?

@leturbinator Something must have really stood out on your application for you to get a secondary that early. On their website they said that they don't send out secondaries until July 1st (DO Program - Admissions Application Cycle).

I got an email saying they have received my primary and they would email me if I qualify for a secondary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally I just got my secondary! Do they screen heavily for secondaries?

+1 for secondary.

Since the inaugural class was just accepted last year, I doubt they have all the stats on the competitiveness of receiving a secondary, receiving an interview, etc.

Might have to wait until they at least have a class of M1's before they release some numbers about their class profile.

I find it interesting they're asking about how we prepped for the MCAT. How is everyone approaching this question other than stating how you prepped? Is anyone going to use this to try and justify a less than ideal score or would that seem like not a good idea? Thoughts?

I find it interesting they're asking about how we prepped for the MCAT. How is everyone approaching this question other than stating how you prepped? Is anyone going to use this to try and justify a less than ideal score or would that seem like not a good idea? Thoughts?

I'm just gonna explain how hard I tried but i wouldn't mention my score in the essay.

In my opinion, I think this question is geared towards gauging your work ethic, study habits, and time management? I would just answer the question and wouldn't worry about actually providing a score or reasons/excuses for that score.

I'm going to explain my score in the essay

Secondary submitted! :banana:

Secondary submitted, application complete email received

Secondary submitted.

Got the 6/29 email saying primary received, but no secondary or communication otherwise since. Low GPA applicant so maybe they screened me out? :( Perhaps I am just impatient.

505 MCAT. 3.1 cGPA. My AACOMAS sGPA is slightly below a 3.0, due to some C's in agricultural science classes I took about 6 years ago :( (was safely over a 3.0 per AMCAS, but that's neither here nor there)

505 MCAT. 3.1 cGPA. My AACOMAS sGPA is slightly below a 3.0, due to some C's in agricultural science classes I took about 6 years ago :( (was safely over a 3.0 per AMCAS, but that's neither here nor there)

I'm not aware of any screens as far as GPA goes so you should be okay there.

My MCAT is lower than yours but received the supplemental application email right after the application received email. I would still give them a couple more weeks as I'm sure they're going through tons of applications at this point. Just make sure the email hasn't ended up in your spam folder.

I'm not aware of any screens as far as GPA goes so you should be okay there.

My MCAT is lower than yours but received the supplemental application email right after the application received email. I would still give them a couple more weeks as I'm sure they're going through tons of applications at this point. Just make sure the email hasn't ended up in your spam folder.

Thank you! I tried to carefully pick schools that didn't advertise a GPA cutoff, so hopefully that is the case. I did apply to their school later than others, something like June 23rd or so.

My MCAT is pretty low too so we'll see what happens

I was lowkey pissed when I saw that they shortened it. I prewrote these and not only did that take forever, but cutting it down without sounding like an idiot was just as challenging. (Sigh)

I was lowkey pissed when I saw that they shortened it. I prewrote these and not only did that take forever, but cutting it down without sounding like an idiot was just as challenging. (Sigh)

Ugh that pains me. Almost did the same thing!! I guess being behind on secondaries had one upside. Serious props for being on top of it! Good luck this cycle!

So I don't know how to answer the religious secondary prompt

I'm not really religious, so how should I approach this?

So I don't know how to answer the religious secondary prompt

I'm not really religious, so how should I approach this?
I'm a person of faith but not of the same religion, but I think you could approach the question in a similar way I did. I basically didn't mention my specific faith and spoke towards the principles/tenets I live my life by, and my 'life philosophy' (if that makes sense). Talked about how they resonate with the principles of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word. Then, I just tailored it to what the prompt was asking.

I don't think being a person of a different faith, or person of no faith should be an auto-disqualifier, but who knows how much value they put on that.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm of a different faith as well, but i'm Christian so most of my values are the same. It really doesn't matter because they are looking for diversity as well, but they are still looking for mission based applicants as well.

Current student of the school here (we started Monday). I'll answer any questions related to curriculum/schedule etc. as best I can. My biggest concern originally was the unknowns of a new school especially, but now we do have a schedule, handbook and a plan that I can draw from for you guys.

Reactions: 4 users
Current student of the school here (we started Monday). I'll answer any questions related to curriculum/schedule etc. as best I can. My biggest concern originally was the unknowns of a new school especially, but now we do have a schedule, handbook and a plan that I can draw from for you guys.

New school, the biggest concern is the clinical rotation sites. Any idea of UIWSOM has established connections in San Antonio/throughout Texas or is the plan to send wherever? Does the school set them up or students do a majority of the work?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

New school, the biggest concern is the clinical rotation sites. Any idea of UIWSOM has established connections in San Antonio/throughout Texas or is the plan to send wherever? Does the school set them up or students do a majority of the work?

~85% of our cohort will have their core (meaning not setting up your own) rotations in San Antonio. The other bit will be split up in Abilene and South Texas (Laredo primarily mentioned.

Our clinical professor told us the other day 3 (or 4?) partnerships have already been created and more were in the works. I can't remember the exact hospitals mentioned up to this point but I will find out.

Anybody know when this school starts sending out II?

I applied to this school late. Monday 8/9. Anyone else do this? If so, have you received a secondary?