2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

No apparent limit meaning you can write like 200 words for the short answer? Could anyone clarify? Thanks

No apparent limit meaning you can write like 200 words for the short answer? Could anyone clarify? Thanks
In the portal it actually says that the short answer questions should be answered in 3-5 sentences. The essay (write a sentence which is not true ...) limit is 200 words. The text boxes don't appear to have limits but these are the stated limits.

There is also an optional 200 word "Is there anything else you would like us to know?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh I got verified on June 20th (had Keck on my list) and still haven't received a secondary?? Any thoughts? I am applying MD PhD if that makes any difference
I'm also applying MD-PhD and haven't gotten a secondary. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else still not receive a secondary from Keck? Getting kinda worried, even though it says they don't screen on MSAR

Reactions: 1 users
Excited to fill out this secondary! It seems like you can have some fun with this one.

Is this being used as a "why us" for anyone? Or a "why you"? Or something else entirely?

Some of the more learned members on sdn advise to leave optional essays blank since they just make the review process longer and some adcoms might not like that. Others say it's a good place to explain red flags in your application, develop on diversity, why this school, etc. It's entirely up to you on how to approach it.

Hello everyone,
I wish I were posting better news, but there was a fairly damning story today about the USC Medical School dean in the LA Times today. I grew up dreaming of going to USC for medical school, and I still think it's a great place to learn and train. You should know, however, that this might lead to administrative turmoil while you're there. Always better to know.
An overdose, a young companion, drug-fueled parties: The secret life of a USC med school dean

Reactions: 11 users
Hello everyone,
I wish I were posting better news, but there was a fairly damning story today about the USC Medical School dean in the LA Times today. I grew up dreaming of going to USC for medical school, and I still think it's a great place to learn and train. You should know, however, that this might lead to administrative turmoil while you're there. Always better to know.
An overdose, a young companion, drug-fueled parties: The secret life of a USC med school dean

wow

This article is insane... it's crazy how he just was so nonchalant about it and clearly never thought he would be caught

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Can anyone give insight into the word counts for the secondary prompts? How long should the short-answer and essay questions be approximately? It seems like the prompts last year were around 200 words?

Can anyone give insight into the word counts for the secondary prompts? How long should the short-answer and essay questions be approximately? It seems like the prompts last year were around 200 words?
Scroll up to my earlier post on this page

"Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved."

Sigh, I misread the question just now and realized I answered by describing a situation in which I got something that I felt I didn't deserve after submitting. Is this the end? Even worth sending an email explaining the situation? @Goro

Some of the more learned members on sdn advise to leave optional essays blank since they just make the review process longer and some adcoms might not like that. Others say it's a good place to explain red flags in your application, develop on diversity, why this school, etc. It's entirely up to you on how to approach it.
Interesting. I see how that could be, though I'd never heard it before today. I don't suppose it's known which schools find not-red-flag essays annoying?

"Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved."

Sigh, I misread the question just now and realized I answered by describing a situation in which I got something that I felt I didn't deserve after submitting. Is this the end? Even worth sending an email explaining the situation? @Goro
This is why CARS is so important on MCAT.

Just let it go.

Reactions: 2 users
In last year's thread, someone who got an II talked about how he wished one of his favorite TV shows didn't become crappy, but then related it to some serious stuff about him too

It seems like being creative is definitely the way to go
hahaha that was me! good luck everyone
(Incoming Keck MSII)

Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone,
Hahahahhaahahahaha no way!!!!?

@gyngyn:

Short-answer (no apparent limit):
  1. What is the most fun you’ve had lately?
  2. If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
  3. If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
  4. Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.
Essay (no apparent limit):
  1. Write a sentence that is not true, then tell us why you wish it were.

There is a suggested limit for both sections!!

3-5 sentences for the short-answer.
200 words for the essay.

And I wrote so much...@gyngyn

messed up on my secondary :( can i resubmit or ask them?

what exactly do they mean when for "a peer reference"? I know of multiple people who attend Keck SOM. Should I just list their names, or only the ones who I am very close with?
I just listed the ones I am close to, cause I'm assuming a peer reference should be someone who could vouch for you? My interpretation!

Where does it ask for a peer reference?
There's a question that says "Do you have a peer reference who attends the Keck School of Medicine of USC?" and just a space below to list names if you click yes.

Has anyone come across a < 2-week secondary deadline for this school? I have a couple of other secondaries left to write with strict deadlines so I might have to submit this secondary within ~3 weeks of receiving it...would that be the end of the world?

Has anyone come across a < 2-week secondary deadline for this school? I have a couple of other secondaries left to write with strict deadlines so I might have to submit this secondary within ~3 weeks of receiving it...would that be the end of the world?
Nope, I don't think USC has that strict deadline. And in general, the 2 week turnaround "rule" is just a guide, so don't stress over a few extra days here and there! It's still mid-July so we're technically ALL still pretty early :)

Nope, I don't think USC has that strict deadline. And in general, the 2 week turnaround "rule" is just a guide, so don't stress over a few extra days here and there! It's still mid-July so we're technically ALL still pretty early :)
Ahh good to know :) thanks!!

just submitted my secondary. anyone know when II's usually start going out? good luck everyone!

for the one false sentence secondary, is it ok to write about how i wish that a certain discontinued TV show were still ongoing?

for the one false sentence secondary, is it ok to write about how i wish that a certain discontinued TV show were still ongoing?

Someone on this thread mentioned that a current student talked about how his fav show got ****ty haha

Oh my goodness, this is my favorite medical school right now based on the secondary alone. That, and the HTE program. Any current students familiar with that?

A friend of mine sent this along today:
This makes me concerned about the administration and how it could affect the student experience.

Yeah, this was posted a little further up the thread. Though honestly if student life wasn't affected by the dean going full rock star lifestyle (and med students I know love USC) I can't imagine it taking too big of a hit now.

Though that s**t is absolutely wild.

Idk how to subscribe to a thread so I'm just commenting without anything major to add. Would love to go to this school so I submitted way early July soon after I got the invite!

Idk how to subscribe to a thread so I'm just commenting without anything major to add. Would love to go to this school so I submitted way early July soon after I got the invite!
You can just click "Watch Thread" at the top of the page on the right! :)

Submitted, IS. A reach, but one of my top choices fer sure

How many of y'all are applying for the MD-PhD program?

4. Do you have a peer reference who attends the Keck School of Medicine of USC?

Does anyone know how this works?

anybody get any interviews yet? based off last year's thread they came out July 14th; I wonder if this dean scandal is holding them back :p

anybody get any interviews yet? based off last year's thread they came out July 14th; I wonder if this dean scandal is holding them back :p

The one thing I've noticed from last year's threads was that AMCAS started sending primaries out in late June, so secondaries went out a bit earlier than this year. I'm wondering if that will slow things down a bit - maybe but a week or two at least.

The one thing I've noticed from last year's threads was that AMCAS started sending primaries out in late June, so secondaries went out a bit earlier than this year. I'm wondering if that will slow things down a bit - maybe but a week or two at least.

Seems to b the case with a lot of the schools...for some reason I'm thinking a lot of school will send next week (first week of August)