2017-2018 University of South Carolina - Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

2. What traits, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value and diversity to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville?

3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less (either type or copy and paste into the text box):

One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville is to "produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skills and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior." Patients sometimes complain that physicians are "aloof", "don't seem to care" or "lack compassion". How, especially in a busy and often hectic setting, can a physician best demonstrate his or her compassion and genuine concern for a patient? How might compassionate patient-centered care improve patient outcomes?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received
Greenville Native! I even did my research at GHS. Great place and the facilities are still shiny and new!

If you are currently participating in an academic program, please project intended coursework for the academic year. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

Is it okay if we copy and paste our projected course work from AMCAS for this upcoming academic school year if we have one year left?

Secondary received! This is my top choice, so I'd love the opportunity to go here.

Secondary received and submitted

Quick question, regarding your "portal", does it show that you have completed the application? When I submitted it had a "completed applications tab". However, now when I check, nothing appears at all.

Mine has an "Applications in Progress" header and a "Submitted Applications" header. The USCSOMG application moved from "In Progress" to "Submitted" after I pressed the complete button and paid the fee. You can always email or call one of the people in admissions to make sure it is in their system as submitted. They are very nice and willing to help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the application complete email. Odd because my letters aren't in yet....

(If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

I think this is the answer to your question. No connection to South Carolina = No need to respond.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone this year. I ended up in the top third of the OOS waitlist last cycle after interviewing in September. Sent a number of updates post interview, however very little movement last cycle unfortunately. I have very strong ties to SC as well. Will be matriculating elsewhere in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quick question, regarding your "portal", does it show that you have completed the application? When I submitted it had a "completed applications tab". However, now when I check, nothing appears at all.

I logged in today and found an older version of my app, that was incomplete. I completed, paid and submitted the secondary on 7/11 so not sure what's going on. Naturally I freaked and emailed/called but not answer yet. I have the answers to the secondary on a word document but it would be crazy to have to redo the application online.

Anyone had a similar problem??

I logged in today and found an older version of my app, that was incomplete. I completed, paid and submitted the secondary on 7/11 so not sure what's going on. Naturally I freaked and emailed/called but not answer yet. I have the answers to the secondary on a word document but it would be crazy to have to redo the application online.

Anyone had a similar problem??
How did you see your app? It disappears from view once you log out of the system. It could be that when you re-entered the portal, you created a new secondary application and that is the one you are seeing as incomplete. Did you receive a complete email from them?

How did you see your app? It disappears from view once you log out of the system. It could be that when you re-entered the portal, you created a new secondary application and that is the one you are seeing as incomplete. Did you receive a complete email from them?

I just logged in and it took me to the applicant portal checklist, which was totally incomplete (had some writing in a few boxes that I had saved from before). I did not receive a complete email from them either...so that adds to my concern that there might have been a technical glitch?
When did you receive your complete email ?

I just logged in and it took me to the applicant portal checklist, which was totally incomplete (had some writing in a few boxes that I had saved from before). I did not receive a complete email from them either...so that adds to my concern that there might have been a technical glitch?
When did you receive your complete email ?
It could be a glitch in the system, I have no idea. I would give them a call tomorrow. The numbers can be found using this link:

Admissions - School of Medicine Greenville | University of South Carolina

If you call one of the admissions officers and can't get hold of them, I'd call the other one. I submitted my application on 7/5 and received my complete email on 7/10.

It could be a glitch in the system, I have no idea. I would give them a call tomorrow. The numbers can be found using this link:

Admissions - School of Medicine Greenville | University of South Carolina

If you call one of the admissions officers and can't get hold of them, I'd call the other one. I submitted my application on 7/5 and received my complete email on 7/10.

I tried both numbers today, left a VM and I sent an email describing the situation. I'll try calling again on Monday

Really hope its a glitch in the system :-/. Thanks for your input!

Okay guys.... I saw that people had been having problems with this secondary, so I went in to check mine..... and there is nothing there at all! No indication that I ever even filled it out. I never received a complete email, but I did receive a conformation of my payment "which I payed directly after completing the application." Am I going insane? Did they lose my secondary???

Okay guys.... I saw that people had been having problems with this secondary, so I went in to check mine..... and there is nothing there at all! No indication that I ever even filled it out. I never received a complete email, but I did receive a conformation of my payment "which I payed directly after completing the application." Am I going insane? Did they lose my secondary???
How long ago did you submit your secondary?

8 days ago.
I'd call the admissions office and figure out if it was submitted. I'm confident that if you received the payment email, you did submit. Mine is not visible on self service anymore either.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd call the admissions office and figure out if it was submitted. I'm confident that if you received the payment email, you did submit. Mine is not visible on self service anymore either.

Thank you for the help!

Can someone post the prompts pretty please?

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Any updates? Similar thing happened to me, so I'm not sure if my application that I completed is in their system or not.

I logged into the secondary system because I wanted to check something, and I got a message that read: "Application marked as complete; no changes allowed. Restarting application process."

I have not received a complete e-mail from this school.

Admissions emailed me earlier this week, confirming that my secondary was successfully received. Apparently you cannot check your status online through the secondary link as it will just redirect you to the secondary form. They mentioned that I should be receiving a complete email later this week.

Talked to the front office today, and they are absolutely wonderful! They told me I could expect a complete Email tomorrow, But I actually received it about 20 minutes ago!

Talked to the front office today, and they are absolutely wonderful! They told me I could expect a complete Email tomorrow, But I actually received it about 20 minutes ago!

Awesome! Glad to hear everything worked out for you, and you too @Tsaka! Perhaps the three of us will be classmates.

Reactions: 1 users
thoughts on the personal challenges essay? are they looking for anything specific here (financial hardships, first gen, discrimination, etc) or just anything you considered a challenge to overcome. Its optional and says to leave blank if "not applicable" which makes me think its talking more about the former because everyone has faced challenges....

maybe im just totaling over thinking this

Prompts:

1. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

2. What traits, experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value and diversity to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville?

3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less (either type or copy and paste into the text box):

One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville is to "produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skills and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior." Patients sometimes complain that physicians are "aloof", "don't seem to care" or "lack compassion". How, especially in a busy and often hectic setting, can a physician best demonstrate his or her compassion and genuine concern for a patient? How might compassionate patient-centered care improve patient outcomes?

@gyngyn

When they ask about personal hardships does that mean like illness or loss in the family?

When they ask about personal hardships does that mean like illness or loss in the family?

It could be if that's something you had to overcome. You could also talk about going through life with one leg and learning to use a prosthetic. It's just something you want to tell them that's not already in your app or not detailed in it, that you had to overcome to get you where you are today.

Anyone receive any updates from here yet?
It's been quiet for me at least, I was actually trying to find this thread earlier today to see if anything was posted, but alas, it seems we're all riding the same ship.

I believe updates start going out late august

Did anyone tour the campus before applying/getting a secondary?

Impressions?
Beautiful campus! Everything is in the one building. They have a small library but there are lots of study rooms on the mezzanine level. The second floor is split in two, one side is their simulation center which is setup like a hospital, the other side is setup like a physician's office. Everything is recorded. Their labs and lecture rooms are designed really well. There's projection screens all around the room, so there's no such thing as a bad seat. The labs have screens at each group table. I was told the gross anatomy lab had reference tablets on each dissection table (they don't show this on general tours, but you will see it on interview day). The student lounge is huge! Lots of fridges, microwaves, seating, exercise equipment, etc. and there is a nice courtyard outside which sees some use with outdoor student activities (they compete in houses/colleges). I was there a few weeks ago and it seems they pay attention to who has toured and applied because they knew they hadn't received applications from anyone in my tour group yet. I would recommend touring if you have been sent a secondary. Compared to the other MD campuses in SC, I would say they are the best designed in terms of layout, facilities, etc. Curriculum seems well designed too. I have shadowed a few of their recent grads in resident clinics and they all had good things to say about the school.

Beautiful campus! Everything is in the one building. They have a small library but there are lots of study rooms on the mezzanine level. The second floor is split in two, one side is their simulation center which is setup like a hospital, the other side is setup like a physician's office. Everything is recorded. Their labs and lecture rooms are designed really well. There's projection screens all around the room, so there's no such thing as a bad seat. The labs have screens at each group table. I was told the gross anatomy lab had reference tablets on each dissection table (they don't show this on general tours, but you will see it on interview day). The student lounge is huge! Lots of fridges, microwaves, seating, exercise equipment, etc. and there is a nice courtyard outside which sees some use with outdoor student activities (they compete in houses/colleges). I was there a few weeks ago and it seems they pay attention to who has toured and applied because they knew they hadn't received applications from anyone in my tour group yet. I would recommend touring if you have been sent a secondary. Compared to the other MD campuses in SC, I would say they are the best designed in terms of layout, facilities, etc. Curriculum seems well designed too. I have shadowed a few of their recent grads in resident clinics and they all had good things to say about the school.
I concur with this. It was obvious that the school's mission is to train compassionate physicians who practice medicine via a patient-centered model of care. Each person I interacted with was not only helpful, but exceedingly kind. Great school!

Is anyone sure how to access the secondary once it has been submitted?

Is anyone sure how to access the secondary once it has been submitted?
You cannot. I believe that is specifically stated in the secondary invitation email.

You cannot. I believe that is specifically stated in the secondary invitation email.
"If you wish to update your application at any point in the application cycle following submission of your supplemental application, please complete the form at this link: not sure if posting link breaks any rules lol

We will contact you when your application status is updated. The application portal does not have an application status section that is applicable for your application with USCSOM Greenville."
I guess this was their poor way of wording it. Oh well. I always liked printing my secondaries when I finish

Has anybody heard anything them as far as an II?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk