2021-2022 South Carolina, Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol fr major cliffhanger 😂, I hope it’s good news
Not necessary but I was literally in the middle of a #2 when I got the call 😭😂

Members don't see this ad.

Not in the slightest. I also believe and support there aim to increase diversity in medicine. Stats on the mcat are not everything when it comes to medicine or caring for patients and neither do they determine what kind of doctor someone will be. I definitely support their aim in supporting underrepresented students who might have received lower stats but made up for the number in showing adversity through their stories, experiences, and determination to one day be doctors. Have an awesome day.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't talking about underrepresented groups or diversity in medicine at all. I was speaking to how they operate in terms of being a public medical school. Public medical schools should show preference to IS residents since their tax dollars subsidize the school. After an OOS M1 year, they can reclassify as in-state and receive the subsidized tuition which is unheard of outside the usc system. I am strictly speaking to the school's almost 50% out of state make-up. I'd totally get this percentage if there was a lack of qualified in-state kids, but there clearly is not. Stats aren't everything but denying that there are clear correlations between academic success in medical school and that student's stats is unfounded. lowering merit-based standards for different groups of people is a totally different conversation and has many unintended consequences that most people dont consider but that wasnt the content of my original post at all. congrats on the A

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't talking about underrepresented groups or diversity in medicine at all. I was speaking to how they operate in terms of being a public medical school. Public medical schools should show preference to IS residents since their tax dollars subsidize the school. After an OOS M1 year, they can reclassify as in-state and receive the subsidized tuition which is unheard of outside the usc system. I am strictly speaking to the school's almost 50% out of state make-up. I'd totally get this percentage if there was a lack of qualified in-state kids, but there clearly is not. Stats aren't everything but denying that there are clear correlations between academic success in medical school and that student's stats is unfounded. lowering merit-based standards for different groups of people is a totally different conversation and has many unintended consequences that most people dont consider but that wasnt the content of my original post at all. congrats on the A
Thank you! And I really hope you get accepted too!

Both y’all make good points and I agree with both. I do find it kind of interesting how they choose to fill almost half the class with OOS students but who am I to judge 🙂 maybe they’ll fall in love with our state and stay 😂

Reactions: 1 user
I thought they were meeting tomorrow 😳

In my interview last week, they said they would let us know by tomorrow 3/3

In my interview last week, they said they would let us know by tomorrow 3/3
Today is 3/3, did you mean 3/4? I interviewed 2/7 and they said they meet 3/4 but obvs not if someone got in from that day I guess

Yes i meant 3/4! I interviewed 2/23. They might be calling a few people today

Members don't see this ad :)
Both y’all make good points and I agree with both. I do find it kind of interesting how they choose to fill almost half the class with OOS students but who am I to judge 🙂 maybe they’ll fall in love with our state and stay 😂
I think that we should also remember that these institutions are businesses first no matter how mission driven they are.

Not in the slightest. I also believe and support there aim to increase diversity in medicine. Stats on the mcat are not everything when it comes to medicine or caring for patients and neither do they determine what kind of doctor someone will be. I definitely support their aim in supporting underrepresented students who might have received lower stats but made up for the number in showing adversity through their stories, experiences, and determination to one day be doctors. Have an awesome day.
Does it bother any other waitlisted IS above average applicants when you see lower stat OOS kids get the A from this school? South Carolina is experiencing a physician shortage which these schools say the want to address yet they opt for OOS applicants (that make up 40% of their class) over qualified IS kids (who are statistically more likely to stay and practice within SC). Even if I got in off waitlist here, I'm more inclined to go to the out of state private schools that have accepted me from a sense of loyalty to those schools and will practice outside of SC which further exacerbates the physician shortage problem. just wondering if anyone else feels the same way or if I'm just being petty
Not sure I would pay private tuition to avenge some sort of slight from SC schools. Also strange that if you go to school out of state you will practice there, but believe those OOS that attend school in SC will go home. Never underestimate residency effect on physicians ultimate practice location, you don't choose where you match. Last thing many of the OOS who get the A have been in SC for years (for undergrad etc) and have deep roots here, SC is now home (speaking from experience: undergrad, med school, residency all in G'ville and never leaving).

I see your points but that still doesn’t address the subsidization dilemma in tuition where yes it might now be a new home to you, but you are not a resident. The whole point in public med schools is to educate residents of that state while supplementing the class with OOS. If you’re going to fill half your class with OOS students and allow for them to reap the benefits of in state tuition after their first year, then you shouldn’t get SC tax dollars as a medical school. This policy also puts SC applicants at a distinct disadvantage on a national scale in terms of public medical school admission policies. If you have a North Carolina resident that lives close to Greenville, they can claim NC residency, get in state preference at the home state institutions, and then double dip in a school like Greenville claiming close connections. Apply that same standard to an SC resident that lives in Greenville wanting to apply to NC schools and SC schools. Besides MUSC (which limits their OOS to 10% of their class) your home institutions aren’t showing the same level of preference for IS students as other states’ public med schools. When that SC student applies to NC state schools, they are at an extreme disadvantage for the SC resident. Look at East Carolina Brody that will not even consider an OOS kid. Same principles apply to Georgia vs SC. An SC student that attends undergrad at UGA has virtually no shot of medical school in Georgia with MCG only taking 5% OOS and Mercer not considering any OOS kids at all. There’s just a very clear double standard being applied that bennefits non-SC residents at the cost of SC residents

I see your points but that still doesn’t address the subsidization dilemma in tuition where yes it might now be a new home to you, but you are not a resident. The whole point in public med schools is to educate residents of that state while supplementing the class with OOS. If you’re going to fill half your class with OOS students and allow for them to reap the benefits of in state tuition after their first year, then you shouldn’t get SC tax dollars as a medical school. This policy also puts SC applicants at a distinct disadvantage on a national scale in terms of public medical school admission policies. If you have a North Carolina resident that lives close to Greenville, they can claim NC residency, get in state preference at the home state institutions, and then double dip in a school like Greenville claiming close connections. Apply that same standard to an SC resident that lives in Greenville wanting to apply to NC schools and SC schools. Besides MUSC (which limits their OOS to 10% of their class) your home institutions aren’t showing the same level of preference for IS students as other states’ public med schools. When that SC student applies to NC state schools, they are at an extreme disadvantage for the SC resident. Look at East Carolina Brody that will not even consider an OOS kid. Same principles apply to Georgia vs SC. An SC student that attends undergrad at UGA has virtually no shot of medical school in Georgia with MCG only taking 5% OOS and Mercer not considering any OOS kids at all. There’s just a very clear double standard being applied that bennefits non-SC residents at the cost of SC residents
I hear you and agree from an admissions perspective seems unfair. From a tuition perspective you actually must become an SC resident to get the break, I in fact bought a house, vote here, register my car etc. I worked a year in SC after Furman and paid SC taxes, my home state no longer considered me instate and neither did SC, think that was pretty crummy too. Good luck, if you hop off wait list hope you grab it, great program and great little city!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone apply for scholarships and hear anything?
The last and biggest group of scholarship award announcements will go out toward the end of this month. Assuming you filled out the application by their weirdly early deadline. Fingers crossed!!

The last and biggest group of scholarship award announcements will go out toward the end of this month. Assuming you filled out the application by their weirdly early deadline. Fingers crossed!!
So you can’t get a scholarship if you haven’t been accepted yet?

Do you maybe know if they’ll be offering anything of the 40k and the 50k scholarships because it says “given once every four years”. And yes I did fill out the application.

During interview they said to fill out the application while we wait for the decision on acceptance or not.

Do you maybe know if they’ll be offering anything of the 40k and the 50k scholarships because it says “given once every four years”. And yes I did fill out the application.
Yes, based on conversations with admissions folk, a few 40k scholarships are awarded each year, and a lot more 15k are given out. Plus a few more specific ones of different amounts. I was told that approximately 50% of the incoming class gets a scholarship of some kind.

I'm not sure. I'd fill out the scholarship app online ASAP regardless. They said the final scholarship review would be this month, but a current student told me about her friend who heard he got a scholarship AT the white coat ceremony last year. Lol so who knows.

Yes, based on conversations with admissions folk, a few 40k scholarships are awarded each year, and a lot more 15k are given out. Plus a few more specific ones of different amounts. I was told that approximately 50% of the incoming class gets a scholarship of some kind.
I know It’s overshooting but I’m really hopping i quality for instate tuition scholarship and one of those 40k scholarships 😅

I'm not sure. I'd fill out the scholarship app online ASAP regardless. They said the final scholarship review would be this month, but a current student told me about her friend who heard he got a scholarship AT the white coat ceremony last year. Lol so who knows.
I’d email [email protected] he’s the financial aid guy and he’s pretty informative!

Haha I filled mine out in like November I was just wondering if it did any good. If they gave one at the white coat ceremony it sounds like it was still worth it

Does anyone know specifics on when the waitlist will be coming out?

So do we have any idea when interviews end or when they will be reviewing apps again? Are we assuming early april?

So do we have any idea when interviews end or when they will be reviewing apps again? Are we assuming early april?
They said they finish interviewing at the end of March, and then create the waitlist

I interviewed 3/9, just received my rejection. LM69, IS, good ECs. I am graduating early in 3 years from UG.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I was on hold and got put on the waitlist today.

Waitlisted. OOS. Interviewed early feb.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the last round of scholarship announcements has gone out yet?

Got the denial today, not surprised. GL future docs!!!