2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think they do any rejections until January. Not positive about waitlist, but I think that news on that comes out after people from final pool have been accepted, which will happen in March. So long time to wait without hearing either way haha

So if we didn't get accepted today we got pushed to the final pool?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw I read my acceptance on the portal like 15 minutes before the email even came because I'm that neurotic. But yeah, now you know the portal updates first.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! Got the email to check my portal at 1:06PM PST. Complete 8/16, II 8/21, Interview 10/13. OOS, non-traditional, URM with some family ties to the state. First acceptance so I am still in shock. Carver was my favorite school out of all of the interviews I had attended so I am incredibly excited about the news. Best wishes to everyone still waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So are you reviewed every Tuesday for an acceptance or how does that work?

I don't know the exact process tbh. I think once you've been presented to the committee, they decide whether to put you in the final pool, accept you or reject you. If you get accepted, you find out on a Tuesday. If you're final pooled or rejected, you find out in January. We don't know when we're going to be reviewed necessarily since they do it out of order. I wish I knew how they rank us

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! Got the email to check my portal at 1:06PM PST. Complete 8/16, II 8/21, Interview 10/13. OOS, non-traditional, URM with some family ties to the state. First acceptance so I am still in shock. Carver was my favorite school out of all of the interviews I had attended so I am incredibly excited about the news. Best wishes to everyone still waiting.

Congratulations! I remember your post after your interview showed you really loved this school. Hopefully I hear something positive in the next month!

Interviewed here on Wednesday. It was a lot of fun. I wanted to organize a little prank and was hoping the SDN community would help.

When you first arrive, they’ll lead you into a conference room with the other applicants. During your wait, you’ll be listening to music. I’m not psychic but the group on Friday, Nov. 10, will be listening to old school country. How do I know this? Because there’s a person named Daniel who will come in and start the day. As a way to break the ice, he goes around the room to ask you 5 things: name, hometown, undergrad school, fun fact, AND music you’d rather listen to other than what was being played. He uses your music answers as a poll to decide what music to select for the next interview day. Our music was Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is where the SDN community comes in.

BUBBA SPARXXX needs to make a comeback!! My career has been low lately, I’m not going to lie. The last concert I did was for a nursing home in 2016, which, no joke, I killed. Anyway, when you are asked what music you’d prefer to listen to, say “BUBBA SPARXXX - DELIVERANCE” on repeat. Let’s see if this can happen! Thanks Fam! Good luck on your interviews!

Interviewed here on Wednesday. It was a lot of fun. I wanted to organize a little prank and was hoping the SDN community would help.

When you first arrive, they’ll lead you into a conference room with the other applicants. During your wait, you’ll be listening to music. I’m not psychic but the group on Friday, Nov. 10, will be listening to old school country. How do I know this? Because there’s a person named Daniel who will come in and start the day. As a way to break the ice, he goes around the room to ask you 5 things: name, hometown, undergrad school, fun fact, AND music you’d rather listen to other than what was being played. He uses your music answers as a poll to decide what music to select for the next interview day. Our music was Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is where the SDN community comes in.

BUBBA SPARXXX needs to make a comeback!! My career has been low lately, I’m not going to lie. The last concert I did was for a nursing home in 2016, which, no joke, I killed. Anyway, when you are asked what music you’d prefer to listen to, say “BUBBA SPARXXX - DELIVERANCE” on repeat. Let’s see if this can happen! Thanks Fam! Good luck on your interviews!

This is hilarious! I’ve already interviewed but can confirm this is what happens.

PSA: reimbursement is only for FAP, URM, and disadvantaged interviewees

Members don't see this ad :)
3.7 GPA/ 3.65 SGPA. 515 MCAT, OOS. Not URM. No interview yet, complete early august. Should I be expecting anything from Carver? Thanks fam.

Good luck today to everyone still waiting on a decision. On a side note, would any current students be willing to talk about their experiences doing the summer crash course or the pre-M1 Summer Research Fellowship?

Thanks!

An alleged acceptance...I don't trust people who make accounts just to post an acceptance, lol.
lol I made a new account because my old one had part of my name in the screen name. Believe what you want though.
211705y.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
He said F you , I'm pickle rick B*tch

Reactions: 1 users
3.7 GPA/ 3.65 SGPA. 515 MCAT, OOS. Not URM. No interview yet, complete early august. Should I be expecting anything from Carver? Thanks fam.

I was complete in late July, comparable to slightly higher stats, OOS, not URM, and I just got an II yestersay! I don't know about "expecting" but there's definitely still hope! I had pretty much assumed I had heard from all the schools that would interview me since I was complete so long ago. It's a great school in a really good location for me! Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 4 users
I was complete in late July, comparable to slightly higher stats, OOS, not URM, and I just got an II yestersay! I don't know about "expecting" but there's definitely still hope! I had pretty much assumed I had heard from all the schools that would interview me since I was complete so long ago. It's a great school in a really good location for me! Don't give up hope!

Congrats! What were the interview dates that were offered?

I don't know the exact process tbh. I think once you've been presented to the committee, they decide whether to put you in the final pool, accept you or reject you. If you get accepted, you find out on a Tuesday. If you're final pooled or rejected, you find out in January. We don't know when we're going to be reviewed necessarily since they do it out of order. I wish I knew how they rank us
I think they mentioned that they rank based on the following factors (scores, interview, ECs) they rank waiting list people partially on lizzy scores

I think they mentioned that they rank based on the following factors (scores, interview, ECs) they rank waiting list people partially on lizzy scores

oh okay, it seems like those of us waiting to hear back have a similar LM (high 60's-low 70's). perhaps they haven't reviewed us yet

II yesterday! oos, but significant family ties to the state

II yesterday! very strong in state ties. So excited. Interviewing dec 18!

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED !!! Interviewed 10/2, IS

Reactions: 3 users
/

Last edited:
Rejected today pre-II, border state with loose ties, LizzyM 81, complete mid-July

Hope those of us who interviewed in September and still waiting can hear back soon; it's hard to be patient. Anyone know how often the committee meets?
Based on previous threads, I think they meet every week.

Accepted today! IS MCAT 510 GPA 3.74 sGPA 3.46 interviewed 10/27. This is my second year applying, so that tells everyone there is hope! Don’t give up :) they gave me great feedback last year after I was rejected in March!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today! IS MCAT 510 GPA 3.74 sGPA 3.46 interviewed 10/27. This is my second year applying, so that tells everyone there is hope! Don’t give up :) they gave me great feedback last year after I was rejected in March!
Can I ask what you had to work on that improved your application from getting rejected last year to accepted during rolling admissions this year? Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users