2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.

Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS.

Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

ALL 1500 Character limit

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
A question for any current medical students there, are people allowed to take on multiple distinction tracks at a time?

Edit: lol nvm

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.

Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS.

Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

ALL 1500 Character limit

@gyngyn @Lucca @WedgeDawg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else not received a secondary? This is the first school that I have not received a secondary when someone else has.

Just received mine and completed! For those who have submitted, did you get an email receipt for the payment?

I'm really confused by something in their secondary:
Part D, Question D1 asks if you consider yourself a resident of Iowa (I'm OOS), but then D3 says: If yes to D1, please give us a chronological account of your major activities (including summer activities) for the 3 years immediately preceding your proposed entry to the College of Medicine. (We are only interested in activities such as school, summer job, etc, not the activities listed on your AMCAS application.)

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems weird to ask for the activities only IF you're IS. Thoughts?
I know they have an essay about medically related activities...

I'm really confused by something in their secondary:
Part D, Question D1 asks if you consider yourself a resident of Iowa (I'm OOS), but then D3 says: If yes to D1, please give us a chronological account of your major activities (including summer activities) for the 3 years immediately preceding your proposed entry to the College of Medicine. (We are only interested in activities such as school, summer job, etc, not the activities listed on your AMCAS application.)

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems weird to ask for the activities only IF you're IS. Thoughts?
I know they have an essay about medically related activities...

I'm pretty sure they do that to see whether you have been in the state of Iowa for the past 3 years and had a job/contributed to the state of Iowa enough to be considered a resident :)

Is everyone trimming their activities from AMCAS or rewriting new descriptions? (Q3)

Anyone else still waiting on this secondary? I submitted June 1st and still don't have it.

Could I just copy and paste my AMCAS descriptions of my clinical activities?

Could I just copy and paste my AMCAS descriptions of my clinical activities?

To add to this, for the 4 letters do they care if the non-academic ones are on letterhead?

It does not say anything about letterhead or signature on their website or in the link from the secondary. I have a great volunteer letter that isn't on letterhead, but if needed I could substitute it with another academic letter.

To add to this, for the 4 letters do they care if the non-academic ones are on letterhead?

It does not say anything about letterhead or signature on their website or in the link from the secondary. I have a great volunteer letter that isn't on letterhead, but if needed I could substitute it with another academic letter.
I asked about this and they need to be signed with contact info on the letter, but its not required to be on official letterhead

One of my strong diversity points is that I have a degree in Finance and experience within business having worked at a bank doing financial analysis all throughout undergrad. Is this something that I could classify as a "personal characteristic" within question 2? Or should I be talking about my values or traits I gained from being raised in a rural community?

I have used it in other secondary essays talking about how it changes my perspective on medicine and its delivery

One of my strong diversity points is that I have a degree in Finance and experience within business having worked at a bank doing financial analysis all throughout undergrad. Is this something that I could classify as a "personal characteristic" within question 2? Or should I be talking about my values or traits I gained from being raised in a rural community?

I have used it in other secondary essays talking about how it changes my perspective on medicine and its delivery
Nevermind. Got it answered by an admissions committee member. They consider anything unique about you as an applicant for that question.

So is our file officially submitted once we pay the fee and submit the final application and supplemental questions?

Is it okay to abbreviate Carver College of Medicine as CCOM?

For medically related activities, does this not include research?

Is it okay to abbreviate Carver College of Medicine as CCOM?
I think this is fine, but I'd only use it if you are running long on 1500 characters. Otherwise, why not just write it out?

For medically related activities, does this not include research?
Is your research medically related? I don't think you'll be penalized for including it if you have nothing else to fill this space, but you should do your best to tie it back into the medical field. They probably don't want to hear about the changes in mating patterns of blue-horned toads due to global warming. Get my drift?

Reactions: 1 users
I think this is fine, but I'd only use it if you are running long on 1500 characters. Otherwise, why not just write it out?

Is your research medically related? I don't think you'll be penalized for including it if you have nothing else to fill this space, but you should do your best to tie it back into the medical field. They probably don't want to hear about the changes in mating patterns of blue-horned toads due to global warming. Get my drift?

This was helpful haha thank you!

Is anyone actually hitting the 15 activity limit?
Also, I'm including stuff from HS because it says the last five years, is that a bad idea?

Is anyone actually hitting the 15 activity limit?
Also, I'm including stuff from HS because it says the last five years, is that a bad idea?
I would discourage you from including activities from high school just to hit the 15 limit. Quality (and timelines) over quantity. The exception being, of course, if you began activities in high school that you continued throughout college and are meaningful in the greater scope of your application. The wider 5 year gap is for those who take time off before beginning medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent a committee letter and it doesn't meet their requirements? Anyone else get that email?

For question #3, is it fine to list activities in list form by double spacing or does it have to be in paragraph form?

For the medical experiences question, are you guys putting different shadowing experiences as different slots? Or all together under one? Because besides shadowing and hospital volunteering, I don't have any other medical experiences

For the medical experiences question, are you guys putting different shadowing experiences as different slots? Or all together under one? Because besides shadowing and hospital volunteering, I don't have any other medical experiences

If they occurred at the same place then I put them together. Like if I shadowed at 3 different hospitals total then that was 3 different entries. Then for each of the entries I put the different specialties that I shadowed as part of the description.

Hope that helps :)