2017-2018 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone that got secondaries, what are your stats?
3.854, 515 MCAT, and I graduated from UCR (which might have have more to do with it than I am giving credit)

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone that got secondaries, what are your stats?
don't know if it has so much to do with stats as it does with ECs. I have a average to below average MCAT , good GPA (3.8+), and a decent amount of hours (500+) in clinics for the Latino community. Also teaching abroad. Not saying I'll get an interview but I have a feeling it's why I got a secondary at least. Also I think they send them out in batches depending on when you submitted your primary so don't worry too much if you still haven't gotten one! They read every application with care :)

Reactions: 1 user
don't know if it has so much to do with stats as it does with ECs. I have a average to below average MCAT , good GPA (3.8+), and a decent amount of hours (500+) in clinics for the Latino community. Also teaching abroad. Not saying I'll get an interview but I have a feeling it's why I got a secondary at least. Also I think they send them out in batches depending on when you submitted your primary so don't worry too much if you still haven't gotten one! They read every application with care :)
Thanks! The reason I ask is because I'm a reapplicant, and I got a secondary from them during the previous cycle and none of my stats/ECs have changed drastically. But hopefully you're right! I submitted my primary 6/20

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA was 3.65 and MCAT was 520, but like others have said, they really look at everything. I spoke with one of the deans a few years ago and was told that students who have lower stats (like <3.2 or <500, I can't remember the exact numbers) may not get through an initial screen, but somebody looks over each of these applications to make sure they don't miss anyone who would be an excellent fit.

Thanks! The reason I ask is because I'm a reapplicant, and I got a secondary from them during the previous cycle and none of my stats/ECs have changed drastically. But hopefully you're right! I submitted my primary 6/20
do you have experience working with underserved communities?

Does UCR still only select local CA residents? That seemed to have been the case for the past few years. Received secondary but am not sure if it's worth applying

Does UCR still only select local CA residents? That seemed to have been the case for the past few years. Received secondary but am not sure if it's worth applying
Also curious. I would love to apply but I'm OOS, but my Wife grew up in Riverside and her parents and family are all still there and I'd love to go, but figure my chances are nill.

Also curious. I would love to apply but I'm OOS, but my Wife grew up in Riverside and her parents and family are all still there and I'd love to go, but figure my chances are nill.
Riverside has in the past interviewed basically zero OOS applicants. You might have a shot if you make it to the secondary and get a chance to explain your ties. But keep in mind UCR is looking for commitment to the area beyond just being there for med school.

Riverside has in the past interviewed basically zero OOS applicants. You might have a shot if you make it to the secondary and get a chance to explain your ties. But keep in mind UCR is looking for commitment to the area beyond just being there for med school.
Well I do legitimately want to move there and be closer to my wife's family, we get along really well. But it would be pretty hard to convince them of that and that it isn't just lip service. maybe I'll roll the dice and see what happens!

Agreed. I just emailed admissions asking to clarify what exactly they want.
What did they say, if you don't mind me asking? Are we just supposed to relist the activities they have from our AMCAS above but arrange them in some order of importance this time??? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to access the secondary, but the link given isn't working - the page just doesn't load. Anyone else having similar issues?

Edit: it works now!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else's photo turn sideways when you upload it in the secondary?

Does anyone else's photo turn sideways when you upload it in the secondary?

Mine is normal, although a little pixelated in comparison to other secondaries that I have used the same file for

• What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?
Are we suppose to write an essay or can we do bullet point of a few activities we've done and how that prepared us?

• What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?
Are we suppose to write an essay or can we do bullet point of a few activities we've done and how that prepared us?

I wrote an essay - focused on two of my experiences and how I can apply my knowledge to the future.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What did they say, if you don't mind me asking? Are we just supposed to relist the activities they have from our AMCAS above but arrange them in some order of importance this time??? Thanks!!
Curious about this as well - how has everyone been approaching this activities section?

in their email, UCR states "we ask you to complete 2 weeks after receiving your secondary." Is it a firm deadline and I would get rejected if I don't submit by the 2-week window? cuz I don't think I'll be able to finish all their 9 essays by then

in their email, UCR states "we ask you to complete 2 weeks after receiving your secondary." Is it a firm deadline and I would get rejected if I don't submit by the 2-week window? cuz I don't think I'll be able to finish all their 9 essays by then
Its best that you listen to what they have to say

Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?

Do you guys think that the answer to this is yes if I'm already graduated from my undergrad but didn't take time-off in the midst of my undergrad.

Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?

Do you guys think that the answer to this is yes if I'm already graduated from my undergrad but didn't take time-off in the midst of my undergrad.

I think so. I'm using it to write about what I'm doing during my gap year

Got my question answered; see my next post here.

Last edited:

Curious about this as well - how has everyone been approaching this activities section?

Sent adcoms an email on July 13th regarding the specifics of the question and they have not replied. Sorry :(

Does anyone here know if med students at UCR pursue academic medicine?

Sent adcoms an email on July 13th regarding the specifics of the (activities) question and they have not replied. Sorry :(
Called them just now and neither person was in the office. I'm going to sit on this application until one of them gets back to me (this activities thing is the last thing to do; my essays are done). If I had to guess, I'd say this is UCR's version of UCI's activities--reprint only your most important activities from the primary to focus adcom's attention on them, but "we have all the activities to look at also".

EDIT: UCR Med Admissions got back to me--we list our most important 4-7 activities in order of importance; they do have all 15 (or however many you entered) activities to look at if they want; and Description can be filled with a variety of things from activity title to position held to even 1-2 descriptive sentences (that field doesn't look very inviting for full sentences though).

Only tagging people who asked about it on this page: @sboardclark @dr. hermione @Seiken_ @ScreenName23

Btw submitted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
rejected found out 15 mins ago.
First rejection of many more to come lol, don't want to delve more into this but here was the message :

Our Admissions Committee has concluded its evaluation of your application to the UCR School of Medicine. Unfortunately, we are unable to take further action on your application.

With 90+ applications for each seat in our class, the committee had to make many difficult choices and turn away a large number of exceptionally strong candidates.

Regrettably, we cannot provide information on the committee's rationale for its decision or offer suggestions for strengthening your application. The health professions advisor at your undergraduate campus is qualified to review your application and provide specific recommendations.

We greatly appreciate your interest in the UCR School of Medicine and wish you success in your personal and professional endeavors.

Yup. Got an email at 10:02 PST stating, "Our Admissions Committee has concluded its evaluation of your application to the UCR School of Medicine. Unfortunately, we are unable to take further action on your application. With 90+ applications for each seat in our class, the committee had to make many difficult choices and turn away a large number of exceptionally strong candidates."

I'm honestly not surprised given I have a low LizzyM (63.5) but after I got a secondary from Davis, I guess I just assumed that I'd get one from Riverside and Irvine too.

same boat

Does anyone here know if med students at UCR pursue academic medicine?
Probably unlikely given UCR's very focused mission. Also UCR SOM isn't exactly the most research abundant institution.

Has anyone answered the disadvantaged prompt? Adding This:

"Describe the manner in which your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, underserved communities"

when we already have this:

"What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?"

is ridiculous...

Called them just now and neither person was in the office. I'm going to sit on this application until one of them gets back to me (this activities thing is the last thing to do; my essays are done). If I had to guess, I'd say this is UCR's version of UCI's activities--reprint only your most important activities from the primary to focus adcom's attention on them, but "we have all the activities to look at also".

EDIT: UCR Med Admissions got back to me--we list our most important 4-7 activities in order of importance; they do have all 15 (or however many you entered) activities to look at if they want; and Description can be filled with a variety of things from activity title to position held to even 1-2 descriptive sentences (that field doesn't look very inviting for full sentences though).

Only tagging people who asked about it on this page: @sboardclark @dr. hermione @Seiken_ @ScreenName23
Thank you!!! :happy:

Anymore secondary movement, I submitted an application to UCR on July 18th and have not heard anything. Received and submitted a UCD secondary already though.

The woman I spoke to from the admissions office said that it's not a hard deadline and is mostly there just to encourage applicants to apply sooner rather than later. She said a day or two after the two-week mark won't affect your application, but multiple days or weeks later could display a disinterest in their program. Hope that helps! :)

Just submitted 2wks +2 days after secondary receipt. (I'm a little worried this will set me at a terrible disadvantage.)
ALSO, WOOOW that was like 4 secondaries in one application.

Does everyone else have the interview lock on their secondary app? I did not notice it before today!

i've had the lock since before i submitted the secondary; doesn't mean anything i'm sure

Secondary!

+1 Secondary received! Super pumped.

Everyone gets the interview lock. Had it all cycle last year. Didn't get an interview.

OMG YES GOT A SECONDARY. I've been feeling really low for the past days cuz I thought UCR screened me out for my 123 CARS. So happy right now WOO :)

Just got a secondary!! AND CARS 121, I lived in Argentina, horrible with CARS. And my focus is Underserved community.

Btw, new here what is IE?

Just got a secondary!! AND CARS 121, I lived in Argentina, horrible with CARS. And my focus is Underserved community.

Btw, new here what is IE?
The Inland Empire, it's the general name for the area inland where Riverside is located.