2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we can designate that we want to apply PRIME?
You designate on the primary. You pick the dual degree option(MD/MPH, MD/MBA).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure it isn't a separate box on the secondary like UCSF? Worried I may have submitted my primary incorrectly then...

Are you sure it isn't a separate box on the secondary like UCSF? Worried I may have submitted my primary incorrectly then...
I haven't gotten a secondary yet so I'm not totally sure. I found this on the UCLA website.
"Applicants who wish to apply to UCLA PRIME should select the Combined Medical Degree/Graduate program option for the David Geffen School of Medicine on your AMCAS application. Selection of this option will allow your application to be considered for both the regular MD degree program and the UCLA PRIME dual degree program. Applicants who are interested in obtaining a dual degree, but are not interested in UCLA PRIME, should opt for the Regular MD program."

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten a secondary yet so I'm not totally sure. I found this on the UCLA website.
"Applicants who wish to apply to UCLA PRIME should select the Combined Medical Degree/Graduate program option for the David Geffen School of Medicine on your AMCAS application. Selection of this option will allow your application to be considered for both the regular MD degree program and the UCLA PRIME dual degree program. Applicants who are interested in obtaining a dual degree, but are not interested in UCLA PRIME, should opt for the Regular MD program."
Thank you!!

If anyone has received a secondary, please post it and tag OP! I'd love to know what the official questions are.

wondering if its worth applying as OOS with a 512 MCAT, uGrad GPA- 3.6/3/4, Masters in Biomedical Science (SMP) GPA 3.9.

Honestly probably not considering they have such a low yield and love for californians, might be best to spend your money elsewhere
? he's above average MCAT and GPA, not to mention a killer SMP

wondering if its worth applying as OOS with a 512 MCAT, uGrad GPA- 3.6/3/4, Masters in Biomedical Science (SMP) GPA 3.9.
I'd say go for a try. UCLA is competative for everyone

The average MCAT on MSAR is deceptive. It has been much higher in previous years and is likely a 508 because of no distinction being made between Drew and Geffen by the MSAR. I'd advise still giving it a shot though. UCLA Geffen has no explicit IS bias and they heavily screen pre-secondary.

The average MCAT on MSAR is deceptive. It has been much higher in previous years and is likely a 508 because of no distinction being made between Drew and Geffen by the MSAR. I'd advise still giving it a shot though. UCLA Geffen has no explicit IS bias and they heavily screen pre-secondary.

Is it pre screening based on numbers AND extracurriculars?

Is it pre screening based on numbers AND extracurriculars?

I'm 99% sure that it is both and possibly even LORs. If it were numbers then a computer could screen you out in .000001 seconds lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly probably not considering they have such a low yield and love for californians, might be best to spend your money elsewhere

We do not have a preference for in state vs. out of state applicants. Dr. Hall will tell you this if you ask on your interview day, or you can take it from me as I'm staring at our raw acceptance data on my screen right now. In fact, if you go by raw percentages only, this year the % accepted from OOS was just slightly higher than the % applications from OOS. The discrepancy between the % matriculated from OOS and % applications from OOS is due to the fact that non-Californians are less likely to choose med school in California. In other words, it's not us, it's you. ;)

Not sure what you mean about yield either. Ours is pretty much the same as our peer institutions.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know when secondaries start to come out?

Does anyone know when secondaries start to come out?
UCLA pre-screens, as do all the other UC schools. Based on last year's school-specific thread, secondary apps were received on July 1 (that would have been 7 days **I think**) after the primary apps were verified. Seems like the next group of secondary invitations were sent out on August 3rd.
Based on info from their website regarding last year's application timeline (Admissions Timeline - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA) secondaries shouldn't have started to go out until August. Idk about those early birds...

UCLA pre-screens, as do all the other UC schools. Based on last year's school-specific thread, secondary apps were received on July 1 (that would have been 7 days **I think**) after the primary apps were verified. Seems like the next group of secondary invitations were sent out on August 3rd.
Based on info from their website regarding last year's application timeline (Admissions Timeline - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA) secondaries shouldn't have started to go out until August. Idk about those early birds...

Wow, that's a lot later than I expected! Thanks for digging up the info :)

Wow, that's a lot later than I expected! Thanks for digging up the info :)
UCLA runs very late for much of the process. They take their time with the process...they take their holistic approach very seriously. They typically don't start interviews until Oct or very late Sept...when other schools are beginning in late August/early Sept. Even though they have rolling admissions, they typically don't send out any acceptances until January...when other schools send out acceptances beginning in mid-Oct. They typically pull multiple people off the wait lists well into June or even early July. You just have to be very patient with the process.

slightly less clear, but his is from their website

• Mathematics and Statistics: This might include biomathematics, computer science, matrix algebra
oh and this is from MSAR

- Mathematics - One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics.

I just noticed that their website is brand new updated, but not consistent with MSAR.... this is somewhat confusing. for instance, they say in bold on their website (updated this year) that they DO accept AP credit, but they never did before and MSAR says they don't..... so idk why there is conflicting info
So is AP Calculus accepted?

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please post the secondaries for 2017-2018 UCLA ? Thanks..

No one seems to have gotten a secondary yet. Go to last year's thread for secondary essays that probably won't change.

I already collected last year's secondary. Applied to 15 schools that send secondaries, so far I have 10 from 2017, 4 from 2016 and I'm missing one from Howard University

UCLA (Geffen) Secondary Application (2016)

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life: (800 max)

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 max)

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 max)

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (800 max)

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)?
Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 max)

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (800 max)

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first). (800 max)

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled "hardship" and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship.Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors. (800 max)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (800 max)

The noted "max" is character max.

Have any of you submitted LORs yet? Do you know what type of letters they ask for? According to the website, they request 3-5 but didn't say who they want the letters to come from.

I'm 99% sure that it is both and possibly even LORs. If it were numbers then a computer could screen you out in .000001 seconds lol

They do not look at your LORs pre-secondary. Fake news.

Reactions: 3 users
Curious: Is receiving a secondary supposed to be a big deal? How many people are screened out?

Prompts: @Lucca

1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (4000 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (4000 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (4000 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (4000 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (4000 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (4000 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (4000 char)
8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (4000 char)
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (4000 char)

This one will be a doozy :eek:

Also, from the email: You have THIRTY days (30) in which to complete your supplemental application.

Seems like a hard deadline.

Do the secondaries come out in waves or do they send them out at once?

Reactions: 4 users
Also received secondary. They changed the character limit from 800 to 4000 between last year and now? Wow

Prompts: @Lucca

1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (4000 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (4000 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (4000 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (4000 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (4000 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (4000 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (4000 char)
8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (4000 char)
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (4000 char)

This one will be a doozy :eek:

Also, from the email: You have THIRTY days (30) in which to complete your supplemental application.

Seems like a hard deadline.

holy ****... 4000 characters. I thought the duke secondary was tough

Reactions: 1 users
Not receiving the secondary when everyone else does = theme of my cycle so far

Checking in as secondary-less applicant

It's fine, I'm fine.

Reactions: 13 users
Honestly, I pre-wrote the secondaries based on prior year's prompts. If I can answer the question well in 800 characters, will they mind?

Reactions: 2 users