2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Good luck to everyone! Question about this:

What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

Does this honor have to be academic in nature? I was planning to list a sports-related honor that is very important to me. However, I see it listed under "Scholastic Activities" section. Any advice on this? I couldn't find an answer to it anywhere else.

Thanks!

Any UCLA secondaries since the first wave yet?

Same--I'm in the same boat as you in terms of not getting one from UCLA (yet?), but getting one from UCSF and UCSD

Reactions: 1 user
Same--I'm in the same boat as you in terms of not getting one from UCLA (yet?), but getting one from UCSF and UCSD

Yeah, I have every other UC secondary except my own undergrad...i know an adcom very well here and he said one of the cuttoff for secondaries is gpa*10 + old mcat must be >70 (essentially a LizzyM >70) but this was 4 years ago and i'm 99% sure this cuttoff isn't around anymore

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I have every other UC secondary except my own undergrad...i know an adcom very well here and he said one of the cuttoff for secondaries is gpa*10 + old mcat must be >70 (essentially a LizzyM >70) but this was 4 years ago and i'm 99% sure this cuttoff isn't around anymore
Wish it was

Has anyone who is technically still under consideration for last cycle to UCLA received a secondary for this cycle?

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but I am curious about the David Geffen Scholarship. It says top 20% are granted it, and I am just wondering what the minimum stats would look like. Would a 4.0 (cGPA and sGPA) and 513 MCAT be enough?

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but I am curious about the David Geffen Scholarship. It says top 20% are granted it, and I am just wondering what the minimum stats would look like. Would a 4.0 (cGPA and sGPA) and 513 MCAT be enough?
It doesn't seem to be matched to stats, but rather to the overall application.

Checking in again, has there been another wave of secondaries yet since the first one on Tuesday? :confused:

Anyone else having trouble with their payment system?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, submitted secondary on the 19th, but LORs not received even though I sent it along with my primary. Anyone else in the same boat?

Checking in and hoping for a secondary. Good luck everyone!

Anyone know if UCLA receives "in the area" emails well?

Comeon UCLA. I did not pre-write these secondaries for nothing....

Please send me a secondary and let me show you.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if UCLA receives "in the area" emails well?
I wouldn't count on it. Also, if you're hoping to use your UCI interview for the notice, you probably have a interview date long before UCLA even has any interview dates scheduled.They don't typically start interviewing until very late Sept/early Oct.

Sorry to hijack, but anyone uploading documents? Also, is this a new thing? No one I talk to about this has ever heard of it. I was gonna toss a manuscript on there, but I feel super uncomfortable making a CV and risking it hurting me for whatever reason, or doing something more creative and displaying a piece of art I made. IDK, pls help haha

For the question: What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? Is anyone writing about an activity/leadership position instead of an actual award? I'm not sure if I should write about an academic award that sounds good but isn't super meaningful, or an activity I had to qualify for that was meaningful to me (tutoring at my college)

Sorry to hijack, but anyone uploading documents? Also, is this a new thing? No one I talk to about this has ever heard of it. I was gonna toss a manuscript on there, but I feel super uncomfortable making a CV and risking it hurting me for whatever reason, or doing something more creative and displaying a piece of art I made. IDK, pls help haha

Uploading documents with a secondary? The only "document" type thing we uploaded last year was a photo. It may be a new thing.

For the question: What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? Is anyone writing about an activity/leadership position instead of an actual award? I'm not sure if I should write about an academic award that sounds good but isn't super meaningful, or an activity I had to qualify for that was meaningful to me (tutoring at my college)
Yeah I'm not writing about an actual award. That's only because my actual awards are things that most applicants have anyway, like summa cum laude, etc, rather than super tough awards like Rhodes or something.

Actually scratch my last response haha. I just realized that this question is under the "Scholastic Activities" section of the secondary. My only scholastic honors are typical awards but I guess I'll have to think how to spin it.

Uploading documents with a secondary? The only "document" type thing we uploaded last year was a photo. It may be a new thing.
Yea there's a full on tab that says Document Upload. It's an optional section, has been on a couple of secondaries now, I think I saw it for Mayo MN also.

The exact wording is: "Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.)"

Yea there's a full on tab that says Document Upload. It's an optional section, has been on a couple of secondaries now, I think I saw it for Mayo MN also.

The exact wording is: "Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.)"

Hmmmm that's interesting.Well my advice would be to upload the things you find meaningful that will give the ADCOMs a complete image of you as an applicant and individual. Just my thoughts on it.

For some reason it wouldn't save my essay that had 8 characters remaining (3992 characters total). But, it accepted my essay with 3918 characters (82 remaining). Just a heads up for those who like to get right up to the character limit.

Anyone receive a secondary since the first wave?

Reactions: 3 users
For some reason it wouldn't save my essay that had 8 characters remaining (3992 characters total). But, it accepted my essay with 3918 characters (82 remaining). Just a heads up for those who like to get right up to the character limit.

Thanks for heads up, that's a pretty strange glitch. Also, I'm still salty about this 4000 character limit. Is anyone else planning on submitting some answers that are closer to 250 words?

And Baylorpremed84, any chance you went to Rice?

@2redpartyhats There is no need to fill up 4000 char. It is a max limit, not a min limit. If you can say all you need to say in fewer char, then do just that. Realize that all readers (at any school) are very busy people with many other responsibilities--not to mention many more apps to get through in their stack--so a concise applicant is always appreciated.

Still no secondary here yet...
They really don't show any preference toward their undergrads :(

Reactions: 1 users
Relax and enjoy the break we are giving you all :) We will be sending out many secondaries for a long time yet, so consider this us giving you a breather to finish whatever other secondaries you already have to complete, before we send you yet another (our own).

Reactions: 13 users
Relax and enjoy the break we are giving you all :) We will be sending out many secondaries for a long time yet, so consider this us giving you a breather to finish whatever other secondaries you already have to complete, before we send you yet another (our own).

You're doing everyone a HUGE service by being on this thread, thank you!!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone's letter of references been received by UCLA? Mine has not according to the Application Status page, but I sent them a long time ago.

Hi... first post here o:

I've been looking at this thread, but I'm pretty concerned whether I should apply to UCLA. I haven't submitted my primary application for OOS schools yet, plus I really can't speak to one of the prompts because I have no thesis or research experience. I'm planning to submit my primary within the next few days, but idk whether spending $160 for this school is just pouring money down the drain. Harsh to say.. but true. +pity+

Some background info to consider: I'm a Texas resident, Lizzy M score: 76, significant amount of hours as a medical scribe, pretty good amount of non-clinical volunteering on campus (~200 hrs), extracurricular's and hobbies are ok at most

I'm slightly hesitant to apply due to my lack of research, mediocre extracurricular's, late submission, and good programs in Texas, but I am pretty impressed by UCLA. Any help/advice is appreciated :love:
Also let me know if I should address this issue in another thread

Hi... first post here o:

I've been looking at this thread, but I'm pretty concerned whether I should apply to UCLA. I haven't submitted my primary application for OOS schools yet, plus I really can't speak to one of the prompts because I have no thesis or research experience. I'm planning to submit my primary within the next few days, but idk whether spending $160 for this school is just pouring money down the drain. Harsh to say.. but true. +pity+

Some background info to consider: I'm a Texas resident, Lizzy M score: 76, significant amount of hours as a medical scribe, pretty good amount of non-clinical volunteering on campus (~200 hrs), extracurricular's and hobbies are ok at most

I'm slightly hesitant to apply due to my lack of research, mediocre extracurricular's, late submission, and good programs in Texas, but I am pretty impressed by UCLA. Any help/advice is appreciated :love:
I'm not the best adviser, as I am going through the same process as you, but with a LizzyM of 76 and significant clinical hours, I think you'll make a competitive applicant. I'm sure there are those without research experience who get in. For the "scholarly project" prompt, write about a design project in class or a senior capstone course.

And it's still not "late" in the game so you would be throwing in your hat at a good time. Of course the OOS thing does slightly work against you but there's no helping that.

I would go for it. It's not cheap, but if it makes you feel any better, the cost comes out to $134 rather than $160, I believe.

I hope everyone gets secondaries, here I am still preparing to take the MCAT can't submit my primary til September.

HI! I was thinking, could I still get in if I would just be able to send my primary in September? I have yet to take my first mcat and I decided late so what are my chances? Please. I need your advice.

Hi... first post here o:

Do you speak Spanish? If not, then you might not want to apply. UCLA really likes language skills.

Also, keep in mind you are from Texas. That will hurt you most everywhere you apply out of state. Schools know what a great $$$ deal you will get by staying Texas, so they are often hesitant to waste an offer on someone they know will very likely not matriculate. I don't recall the exact numbers but only somewhere around 200 Texas applicants end up going out of state each year.

HI! I was thinking, could I still get in if I would just be able to send my primary in September? I have yet to take my first mcat and I decided late so what are my chances? Please. I need your advice.

Submit your primary for verification and add only 1 school (throwaway/out of reach school) so that you are in the queue. Verification can take up to 1 month. Your MCAT score is not required for verification, and will be transmitted to schools after you decide if you're happy with your score. As long as all other items are complete (secondaries, LOR's), you will be OK applying around September, assuming you are a competitive applicant.

Thanks for heads up, that's a pretty strange glitch. Also, I'm still salty about this 4000 character limit. Is anyone else planning on submitting some answers that are closer to 250 words?

And Baylorpremed84, any chance you went to Rice?
I wish! I was waitlisted there in high school haha. I went to Baylor in Waco for undergrad.

I'm not the best adviser, as I am going through the same process as you, but with a LizzyM of 76 and significant clinical hours, I think you'll make a competitive applicant. I'm sure there are those without research experience who get in. For the "scholarly project" prompt, write about a design project in class or a senior capstone course.

And it's still not "late" in the game so you would be throwing in your hat at a good time. Of course the OOS thing does slightly work against you but there's no helping that.

I would go for it. It's not cheap, but if it makes you feel any better, the cost comes out to $134 rather than $160, I believe.

hmm.. I haven't completed a capstone course. I can think of some projects I've done in class.. but it's not at the same caliber and doesn't take as much energy and thought as completing a thesis. I've thought about taking an advanced writing course but I presumably shouldn't talk about things I haven't done yet. I guess I COULD try fitting in the course before the semester begins, but that would be more appropriate if I didn't have many interviews by the end of this year (esp with work scheduling and heavy bio classes). nevertheless, thank you for your advice ^^

Do you speak Spanish? If not, then you might not want to apply. UCLA really likes language skills.

Also, keep in mind you are from Texas. That will hurt you most everywhere you apply out of state. Schools know what a great $$$ deal you will get by staying Texas, so they are often hesitant to waste an offer on someone they know will very likely not matriculate. I don't recall the exact numbers but only somewhere around 200 Texas applicants end up going out of state each year.

It's interesting.. I was actually planning on being a spanish minor before freshman year, but ended up doing another minor o: Unfortunately, my language skills are not where they should be, even for my own language.
You do bring up a very good point. I think it's a matter of whether I should take the very slim chance and feel alright if I don't get an invite to complete secondaries, versus not applying to ucla and regretting it. I think I will apply. I will keep your advice in mind however o: