2017-2018 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just did my physical and I am 4 lb above the maximum, anyone familiar with what happens afterward? Do I schedule for a tape test or another physical?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you’re fine. USUHS was the first secondary I finished in July and was complete 8/1 with committee letter and I haven’t heard yet. I have 5 other IIs and I’m a veteran. I’m sure you’ll hear soon.

Thank you for the reassurance. The waiting to hear back is aweful.

Reactions: 1 user
Just did my physical and I am 4 lb above the maximum, anyone familiar with what happens afterward? Do I schedule for a tape test or another physical?
don't stress about it. for me (navy), i went to my local recruiter with the bca sheet they give you. you'll weigh in again, and if you make standards, they call it good. if not, they tape you. they will email you the bca sheet if you didn't meet standards at the physical.

Reactions: 1 users
Got to say, I loved my interview here today. All of the staff and students were so excited for us to be there and really helped demystify the whole military thing. Much more interested in USUHS now!

II here today! On basically the same day as I had received one last year (last Friday of September). Really hoping for a better outcome this time

Quick question:

Submitted secondary back in mid July. Hadn't heard anything back.
I finally decided to call admissions and check (again) to make sure all my documents were in order. My adviser said that I would be receiving an email momentarily.
What I received was a form letter stating that while the admissions committee looked upon my application favorably they would still like to see more of the incoming applicants before a final decision on an II would be made.

Anyone else in the same boat? This feels like the end of the road for USUHS.

Stats are:
3.8 GPA, 515 MCAT, five years of clinical work, non-trad; in case anyone is interested.

Quick question:

I finally decided to call admissions and check (again) to make sure all my documents were in order. M My adviser said that I would be receiving an email momentarily.
What I received was a form letter stating that while the admissions committee looked upon my application favorably they would still like to see more of the incoming applicants before a final decision on an II would be made.

Stats are:
3.8 GPA, 515 MCAT, five years of clinical work, non-trad; in case anyone is interested.
Same here, and I also submitted mid-July. 3.96 GPA, 510 MCAT. You’re not alone.

Quick question:

I finally decided to call admissions and check (again) to make sure all my documents were in order. My adviser said that I would be receiving an email momentarily.

Stats are:
Same, was told earlier that i was getting an Interview (even have an email stating it) just no firm date yet. called back 3 weeks later and got an apology, and that they wanted to see the rest of the applicant pool before the actual invitation goes out.

New to this thread. Was contacted by a commissioning coordinator from the school today so hoping for a II. LizzyM 64.5. Non-traditional with compelling story.

do we have to have our physical exam done in Maryland? I'm from California and hopefully I don't have to flight out just to get a physical exam ?

do we have to have our physical exam done in Maryland? I'm from California and hopefully I don't have to flight out just to get a physical exam ?

Not at all!! The physical is done by DODMERB (Department of Defense) and they work with a company Concord. Concord has many contracted physicians all over the U.S. to perform the physical. Mine was a 20 minute drive away and I live in Southern California :)

Members don't see this ad :)
but it's all muscle
How do they deal with this? I am in the same position, my BMI is like 25 but I am 190 pounds with 10% body fat (still 8 pounds over for my hight). This is all hoping that I get invited for an interview ha

How do they deal with this? I am in the same position, my BMI is like 25 but I am 190 pounds with 10% body fat (still 8 pounds over for my hight). This is all hoping that I get invited for an interview ha

I've heard it's tape measurements. If you are 10% BF then there's no way you will be DQ based on that...that stat is really good...LOL

Yeah, isn't the passing body fat (determined by the tape test) something over twenty percent? You're fine. I'm like 18 lbs over for my height and still pass the tape test easily.

Not at all!! The physical is done by DODMERB (Department of Defense) and they work with a company Concord. Concord has many contracted physicians all over the U.S. to perform the physical. Mine was a 20 minute drive away and I live in Southern California :)
Awesome, I'm from SoCal too!

At this point in time, is it took late to send in a primary application if you arent the most competitive applicant

At this point in time, is it took late to send in a primary application if you arent the most competitive applicant

USUHS only has around 3000 apps a year so you have a better chance than sending to ucla or Georgetown with 7,000 or 10,000 apps

Interviewed here on 9/28 and absolutely loved it! Anyone else from my interview day happen to hear when we might expect a decision? While we were on the bus one of the admissions staff said we would likely hear in December-- but that can't be right can it?? I saw that in last year's thread some that interviewed in late September received calls in mid-late October.

Good luck everyone!

Interviewed here on 9/28 and absolutely loved it! Anyone else from my interview day happen to hear when we might expect a decision? While we were on the bus one of the admissions staff said we would likely hear in December-- but that can't be right can it?? I saw that in last year's thread some that interviewed in late September received calls in mid-late October.

Good luck everyone!
I was there too and yeah I heard her say that too but I think she was for some reason thinking 3-4 months instead of of 3-4 weeks. The host I stayed with said that she interviewed around the same date as me and found out mid-late October.

Good luck everyone!
this mans such a typical premed............................

Got a II invite yesterday, thank god flights to Bethesda are cheap. Does anyone have any information in the way of # of spots available for each branch?

Got a II invite yesterday, thank god flights to Bethesda are cheap. Does anyone have any information in the way of # of spots available for each branch?

~60-65 army, ~60-65 navy, ~40-45 air force, ~2-6 public health services !

If you don't mind sharing, when did you get your completed email from USUHS?

Good luck to ya man. Did they cover the various different branches, their competitiveness, and how they selected which student went where on interview day?

thank you, that mean's a lot. The official presentation by Dr. Saguil was more about military medicine in general as opposed to navy/army/airforce/phs medicine. However, the reason why I love USUHS so much on interview day, was that they are so open-door and give everyone ALOT of opportunities to learn more about branches.

1. while eating lunch there is an open AMA with current students for 30 mins from all services and phs, no faculty/adcoms are around so you are free to ask about anything. many people asked about why this branch or that branch.

2. after interview day is officially over (around 3 p.m.) there is an open-door policy where applicants were free to walk up to faculty offices and converse more in a casual manner.

3. student-led tour of the campus is basically another AMA session with your tour guide :)

I also found that asking other applicants and finding out about why they are at USUHS also helped. You can go throughout the whole interview day without deciding which branch in case something changed your mind but a final decision has to be made before leaving base. In regards to the process, I am not sure - couldn't find any information on that.

Interviewing here later this month. Can someone who has already been through the interview comment on arrival procedures? It seems we have to go through security before getting to the admissions office, yes? About how long does that take? Basically, when should I actually get to the base if I want to be at the admissions office by 7:45? Thanks!

If you've filled out your access form, it only takes 5 min or so to get on base and then it took me an additional 15-20 min to figure out where to park and to get to the admissions office. You should try to be at the gates by 7-7:15am since check-in is 7:30-8am. Good luck!!

Can I make an 20:00 flight out of baltimore the day of the interview via rental car?
never been to DC before.

Can I make an 20:00 flight out of baltimore the day of the interview via rental car?
never been to DC before.

That should be doable! The interview day was over by about 4 and BWI is about an hour from Bethesda, so even allowing extra time for traffic you should be perfectly fine.

thank you, that mean's a lot. The official presentation by Dr. Saguil was more about military medicine in general as opposed to navy/army/airforce/phs medicine. However, the reason why I love USUHS so much on interview day, was that they are so open-door and give everyone ALOT of opportunities to learn more about branches.

1. while eating lunch there is an open AMA with current students for 30 mins from all services and phs, no faculty/adcoms are around so you are free to ask about anything. many people asked about why this branch or that branch.

2. after interview day is officially over (around 3 p.m.) there is an open-door policy where applicants were free to walk up to faculty offices and converse more in a casual manner.

3. student-led tour of the campus is basically another AMA session with your tour guide :)

I also found that asking other applicants and finding out about why they are at USUHS also helped. You can go throughout the whole interview day without deciding which branch in case something changed your mind but a final decision has to be made before leaving base. In regards to the process, I am not sure - couldn't find any information on that.
Im also from socal. Can you give me some tips on transportation? I never been to DC before and I'm trying to arrange flight and hotels at the moment.

Im also from socal. Can you give me some tips on transportation? I never been to DC before and I'm trying to arrange flight and hotels at the moment.

leave from socal the day before interview, I left at 1 a.m. --> I arrived Ft. Worth in TX because of layover at 6 a.m. --> arrived Reagan National Airport around 10 a.m. --> uber (cheaper than taxi), taxi (cost me $33 dollars), or metro (cheapest and goes from airport to Bethesda) --> arrive at your student host or hotel (I stayed with student host to save money), have time to go to dinner social around 7 pm!

PM me for more specific questions, happy to answer :) tips are the same as for any other schools...such as bring your interview suit with you onto the plane so that it doesn't get lost, pack light so you can carry everything onto the plane and reduce costs, metro is straightforward (buy a ticket from point A to B and get off at the correct station), don't taxi in DC because traffic is akin to LA traffic so the cost is high.

in addition to the advice above, consider flights through BWI - I have often found cheaper flights to/from LA there than DCA or Dulles. DCA may be a little bit more convenient since its right on the metro, but it's not too hard to get to Bethesda from BWI (bus -> metro) and the price difference is sometimes worth it. Avoid Dulles if you can.

leave from socal the day before interview, I left at 1 a.m. --> I arrived Ft. Worth in TX because of layover at 6 a.m. --> arrived Reagan National Airport around 10 a.m. --> uber (cheaper than taxi), taxi (cost me $33 dollars), or metro (cheapest and goes from airport to Bethesda) --> arrive at your student host or hotel (I stayed with student host to save money), have time to go to dinner social around 7 pm!

PM me for more specific questions, happy to answer :) tips are the same as for any other schools...such as bring your interview suit with you onto the plane so that it doesn't get lost, pack light so you can carry everything onto the plane and reduce costs, metro is straightforward (buy a ticket from point A to B and get off at the correct station), don't taxi in DC because traffic is akin to LA traffic so the cost is high.

Agree with all of the above. Travel early on the day prior, allowing time for flight delays/cancellations/etc. DC Metro is great and there is a stop right outside of base. They have a shuttle that takes you right from the metro stop to USU. If you're staying out in town, I would recommend the metro over uber/taxi to get to campus the day of. Traffic can be a nightmare and unpredictable and the metro is pretty consistent and reliable. Just give yourself enough time to get there and plan accordingly. Bring your suit and interview items with you on carry on.

Any AD or dependents try staying at either of the navy lodge places?
That was my plan until I was assigned a host. I would highly recommend trying to get paired with a prior AD host or seeking out a medical student who was prior AD on interview day.

I have an interview here next week and haven't heard of this dinner social the night before. I'm flying in late after work - arriving the night before ~7. Should I be concerned??

I have an interview here next week and haven't heard of this dinner social the night before. I'm flying in late after work - arriving the night before ~7. Should I be concerned??

I think I got an email about it about a week before my interview? Its not mandatory, so no need to be concerned. Just a chance to meet current students/other interviewees in an informal setting the evening before.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The social is completely optional. I wasn't able to attend it either. If you can make it to Bethesda in time after your flight it would be nice to stop by and talk with the current students. However, you will have an opportunity to talk with students on your interview day, during the tour and during lunch.

Neurotic speculation:

I interviewed more than a month ago and probably adcoms met up to make decisions for first few interviewees already.

I just got a small remedial from my physical and USUHS contacted me to help get through it, is that a good sign? If you are rejected, there's no need for USUHS to spend time with you on remedial right? :confused:

Neurotic speculation:

I interviewed more than a month ago and probably adcoms met up to make decisions for first few interviewees already.

I just got a small remedial from my physical and USUHS contacted me to help get through it, is that a good sign? If you are rejected, there's no need for USUHS to spend time with you on remedial right? :confused:
I was under the impression that DoDMERB was separate and just report the results to USUHS which may play a roll, rather than USUHS being in control of remedials. That being said, they still accept over half of individuals who are interviewed so I'm sure you'll be fine. You could probably call and ask USUHS but regardless, getting a remedial is only positive or neutral news in terms of chance of acceptance! :) Good luck!

I was under the impression that DoDMERB was separate and just report the results to USUHS which may play a roll, rather than USUHS being in control of remedials. That being said, they still accept over half of individuals who are interviewed so I'm sure you'll be fine. You could probably call and ask USUHS but regardless, getting a remedial is only positive or neutral news in terms of chance of acceptance! :) Good luck!

DoDMERB definitely notify results to USUHS! So if USUHS rejects someone, I would think they wouldn't care to follow up on helping applicants through the remedials. Haha yeah I'm still nervous and overthinking :) good luck to you too!

Home

awesome, I sent you a message , thank you!

DoDMERB definitely notify results to USUHS! So if USUHS rejects someone, I would think they wouldn't care to follow up on helping applicants through the remedials. Haha yeah I'm still nervous and overthinking :) good luck to you too!

I was deemed disqualified by DoDMERB but then USUHS reviewed my records and waived the disqualification.

Last edited:
So I know USUHS accepts roughly 50% of those that they interview, but does anyone know if they do a strict 50% from each interview group or if they tend to accept a higher percentage early on and a lower percentage later that averages out to around 50%? I doubt they would make that information public, but I'm curious.

Late post but II received on 9/29. Interview date Nov. 2nd. OS, no prior military experience, complete 9/11