2017-2018 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (200 words maximum)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be highperforming officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (200 words maximum)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (200 words maximum)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Who are our fellow applicants to USUHS? :) Excited to start this journey with you all for the next year or so!

Just waiting for MCAT score to come back (6/13). USU is top on my list! Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying USU from Indiana! Stoked to ride this train with you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, a USUHS doctor just became an astronaut today!

Reactions: 2 users
For the LoR (3 academic, 1 clinic) they state to "Make sure your full name and AAMC ID number appear in the letter(s)."

Does that mean our writers had to explicitly write that down somewhere during their recommendation? I did not inform my writer to write down my AAMC ID. I used interfolio, which requested my AAMC ID in order for the letters to be sent...does that work?

For the LoR (3 academic, 1 clinic) they state to "Make sure your full name and AAMC ID number appear in the letter(s)."

Does that mean our writers had to explicitly write that down somewhere during their recommendation? I did not inform my writer to write down my AAMC ID. I used interfolio, which requested my AAMC ID in order for the letters to be sent...does that work?

I'm pretty sure that if your writers just upload right into AMCAS that's fine since USU participates in the letter service? I wouldn't sweat it, I didn't tell my writers to explicitly write MY id in there...

I used interfolio as well so I'm right there with you. I think it should be okay though since AAMC accepts it. Also GO PACK GO!

AMCAS is really taking there sweet time processing...

I just want to hear opinions - as a civilian applying to USUHS with no family in the military, is it considered cliche to answer "why military medicine" with something along the lines of having a "strong desire to serve." I really don't know how else I can tackle this; I don't have public service experience but this school is definitely my top choice and I'm certain I want to serve in military medicine, I just don't have a compelling narrative. Anyone else struggling with this?

I just want to hear opinions - as a civilian applying to USUHS with no family in the military, is it considered cliche to answer "why military medicine" with something along the lines of having a "strong desire to serve." I really don't know how else I can tackle this; I don't have public service experience but this school is definitely my top choice and I'm certain I want to serve in military medicine, I just don't have a compelling narrative. Anyone else struggling with this?
It would likely ring hollow without an experience or example to back it up. Have you shadowed a military physician? Any experience with a military officer?

Hey guys, Army Healthcare Recruiter here. If anyone is dual applying HPSP as a backup let me know. Would be glad to help any way I can. Also I have met Dr. Saguil in person (dean of admissions and recruitment for USUHS) if anyone needs to make contact. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, Army Healthcare Recruiter here. If anyone is dual applying HPSP as a backup let me know. Would be glad to help any way I can. Also I have met Dr. Saguil in person (dean of admissions and recruitment for USUHS) if anyone needs to make contact. Good luck!

I am dual applying to USUHS and HPSP for FY018. I would like to make contact with someone in USUHS admissions, can you help me out with that?

Hey all! I'm about to be an MS1 at USUHS. Navy student, currently at Officer Development School (ODS). If you have any questions about the application process, interview, second look, the school, ODS, etc...I'm happy to help!

Just received secondary application invite- first one. Let the games begin, good luck.

Secondary! Amcas verified yesterday. ~3.5 science and cumulative. 508 mcat. 6years prior active duty AF

Essay prompts, for those interested (@gyngyn ):

1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (200 words maximum)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be highperforming officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (200 words maximum)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (200 words maximum)

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Got the secondary before my AMCAS has even been transmitted.

On secondaries, anyone else having a hard time filling in all the pre-req slots? My university has a premed genchem and ochem track that is set up so that we only take 2 gen chem class, 2 lab, 2 ochem class, 1 lab. Meanwhile, USUHS is asking for 3 gen chem, 3 ochem, etc.

On secondaries, anyone else having a hard time filling in all the pre-req slots? My university has a premed genchem and ochem track that is set up so that we only take 2 gen chem class, 2 lab, 2 ochem class, 1 lab. Meanwhile, USUHS is asking for 3 gen chem, 3 ochem, etc.
@aaronrodgers only the first two quarters/semesters are "required questions", others you can leave blank.

Secondary received today!

Just submitted the secondary and emailed the pic/notification of LOR received, two days ago. Good luck to everyone!

Anyone know if there's a point system that takes prior service into account? I know a large portion of their 'previous military service' data includes ROTC and service acadamy types. I wonder what the stats are like for prior service applicants. Especially those with combat deployments and such.

I hear jump wings are worth a point, a deployment 2, and an 1/2 a point for each rotation to fight the denovians.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Secondary Submitted. Hope to see you all at interviews!

Me too! If you can send me the contact information, that would be much appreciated!

Anyone know if there's a point system that takes prior service into account? I know a large portion of their 'previous military service' data includes ROTC and service acadamy types. I wonder what the stats are like for prior service applicants. Especially those with combat deployments and such.

MS3 here.

Not sure if there is a point system for USUHS admissions. Definitely for when you apply to military residencies. However, that being said they do look on prior service favorably and it will be beneficial to your application. Plenty of guys in my class that were downrange at some point or another.

MS3 here.

Not sure if there is a point system for USUHS admissions. Definitely for when you apply to military residencies. However, that being said they do look on prior service favorably and it will be beneficial to your application. Plenty of guys in my class that were downrange at some point or another.
That's a dope call sign.
Good to hear. My mcat is a little weaker than I'd like.

based on last year's thread, interview started coming in on 7/20. Getting antsy just waiting for it.

Need some advice for a reapplicant:

I'm having a LOT of trouble changing my essays from 2 years ago because my sentiments of wanting to serve the military, why I want to serve in the military, my personal/family background... they haven't really changed. At all. Is it okay to just re-word the essays? Or do I need to submit them with completely different material?

Also, I never got my secondary email. Sent them an email... they said it sent on 30 Jun. They resent the email, and I still didn't get it. So I was told to just go ahead and submit using the website..... :yeahright:

based on last year's thread, interview started coming in on 7/20. Getting antsy just waiting for it.
I spoke with the admissions office yesterday concerning LORs, during the conversation I was told it would be almost 8 weeks till they were ready to send IIs. That seems off compared to last year's timeline.

I spoke with the admissions office yesterday concerning LORs, during the conversation I was told it would be almost 8 weeks till they were ready to send IIs. That seems off compared to last year's timeline.

8 weeks starting since yesterday when you called? That would mean II barely starts comes out late September. Wowww, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, I hope it doesn't take that long...but who knows

From what I've heard, they start sending out II's around late July but interviews don't start until the beginning of September.

From what I've heard, they start sending out II's around late July but interviews don't start until the beginning of September.
Yeah, that would make sense off of last year's thread. I hope the admissions counselor made a mistake and said invite when she meant actual interview.

I'm dual applying HPSP and would like the contact information as well! Thank you! Much appreciated!

Do keep in mind, though, that prior service with deployment(s) is not dispositive of getting an acceptance.
My buddy said it best, there are two types of people in the army....finance.....and those we pay!