2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well we will miss you down by that beautiful red rock, but hopefully that just means that there's some really good news that you got in somewhere even better for you! you! Good luck!

KCU accepted me. Same curriculum, just much cheaper (and in a lamer place!).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Heyyyaaa everyone. My buddy is a current first year at the UT campus and he's advised everyone brush up on their anatomy! I guess they're switching the curriculum to where it's taught first... and it's supposed to be the hardest unit. Just thought I'd relay the message!

Can't wait to meet y'all in the coming months!

I also heard that Musculoskeletal is your first systems course of the year. to put it in perspective it was our third systems course After cellular mechanisms and immune. Don't know if any of you will find this helpful.... but I'm putting off writing an ethics paper so here is my perspective... I will also add in what I think you should study if you do decide to do that.

Disclaimer: if you hear anything from any of your teachers about preparing before school... follow their advice and not my lowly 1st year insight. Also I had anatomy in undergrad (4 or so years before matriculating). those of you who have never taken anatomy should find someone more relevant to get advice from.

I can't imagine that brushing up on anatomy will help you out too much beyond the first day or two unless you're doing an intense study schedule. First off, the schedule and information is rigorous and what you spend a lot of time studying might be covered in one lecture or one day. The lectures guide you to exactly what you should be studying for the test.

My advice would be to not touch anything before you start orientation. It might just be worth your time to relax before school starts, and enjoy some other hobbies, activities and family. I guess i'm not sure what orientation looks like for you, but we had Mon-Wed then had the rest of the week off. If you guys have Mon-Wed orientation you could look at material for the next week during the few days between orientation and when classes start.

I bet the professor will email you and tell you what is expected coming into MSK sometime before the first day. If you do study anatomy, know that MSK does not cover any head/skull/guts and what not... so don't go diving into that stuff as you'll get into that with other classes. I would stick to learning bones and major muscles just to help you get oriented.

Unrelated to studying but what I think will help you the most in classes the first week would be to get on a good schedule. 2 weeks or so before school, try to be getting to bed at a good time and waking up around when you want to wake up for school. If you can keep on top of the first week that will make your life easier. The first day of classes last year I could only make it through the first half of the lectures given before I was done for the day.

Just my recommendations but do what ever you want and just make sure your excited to start this journey!

The good thing about MSK being first is that you won't be burnt out before it starts and you won't be busy with other classes as much. Your clinical skills lab and osteopathic labs probably won't make you busy for the first weeks.

The con is that if you don't know how you best study then you will need to figure that out quick!

Good luck to all of you and let me know if you have any questions.

I hope my grammar is much better on the paper i'm about to write

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I worked in academia for a number of years, and now industry for a few years. There's good and bad about everything--I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a perfect program. I mean, think back to your undergraduate. Did your institution always have the *best* professors? Was the administration a streamlined entity that worked tirelessly to support you? I mean, come on. Those stereotypes about barely competent tenured professors and ridiculous administrative paperwork exist for a reason. But you made it, and I'm sure you don't regret getting your bachelor's degree.

I think anywhere you go to medical school, you will discover problems. It's smart to go in with your eyes open, be aware of how they might affect you, and try to mitigate them. And don't get me wrong, it's really nice to not have to swim upstream against an unsympathetic administration. I'm definitely ready to attend a place that will help cultivate my career. But I got that feeling from RVU. I don't think that they have staffed the school with a bunch of people who only care about money and are making arbitrary decisions to make life miserable for their students. Like any other company/school, I'm sure that they have their share of problems but are doing their best.

So to sum it up: I think that there will be some negative things about RVU. It doesn't surprise me. Look at page 18 of this document (http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...s-survey-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=1e712b97_8). Hell, read the entire thing--it's interesting. But there are negative things about every school. I lurk the medical school boards and it's super easy to find people complaining about their rotations. School is going to be hard, but you knew that. You're not doing it because you thought it was going to be a fun frolic through the roses. You're doing it because you want to be a doctor.

So when you feel as frustrated as soulfulcarbon in your third year, and they've changed the rules again, and you regret every decision you've ever made--put your nose down and keep making your life what you want it to be. Make sure you have hobbies that make you happy. Enjoy it because you're following your dreams, and you're surrounded by people who are following their dreams too.
Very well said, I couldn't have said it better, and that's a great link, thanks for that, definitely worth a read.
I also heard that Musculoskeletal is your first systems course of the year. to put it in perspective it was our third systems course After cellular mechanisms and immune. Don't know if any of you will find this helpful.... but I'm putting off writing an ethics paper so here is my perspective... I will also add in what I think you should study if you do decide to do that.

Disclaimer: if you hear anything from any of your teachers about preparing before school... follow their advice and not my lowly 1st year insight. Also I had anatomy in undergrad (4 or so years before matriculating). those of you who have never taken anatomy should find someone more relevant to get advice from.

I can't imagine that brushing up on anatomy will help you out too much beyond the first day or two unless you're doing an intense study schedule. First off, the schedule and information is rigorous and what you spend a lot of time studying might be covered in one lecture or one day. The lectures guide you to exactly what you should be studying for the test.

My advice would be to not touch anything before you start orientation. It might just be worth your time to relax before school starts, and enjoy some other hobbies, activities and family. I guess i'm not sure what orientation looks like for you, but we had Mon-Wed then had the rest of the week off. If you do that I would possibly look at material for the next week during the few days between orientation and when classes start.

I bet the professor will email you and tell you what is expected coming into MSK sometime before the first day. If you do study anatomy, know that MSK does not cover any head/skull/guts and what not... so don't go diving into that stuff as you'll get into that with other classes. I would stick to learning bones and major muscles just to help you get oriented.

Unrelated to studying but what I think will help you the most in classes the first week would be to get on a good schedule. 2 weeks or so before school, try to be getting to bed at a good time and waking up around when you want to wake up for school. If you can keep on top of the first week that will make your life easier. The first day of classes last year I could only make it through the first half of the lectures given before I was done for the day.

Just my recommendations but do what ever you want and just make sure your excited to start this journey!

The good thing about MSK being first is that you won't be burnt out before it starts and you won't be busy with other classes as much. Your clinical skills lab and osteopathic labs probably won't make you busy for the first weeks.

The con is that if you don't know how you best study then you will need to figure that out quick!

Good luck to all of you and let me know if you have any questions.

I hope my grammar is much better on the paper i'm about to write
Thank you so much!!! That was a lot of great advice and great info. Guess I'll just take it easy then, I had been getting antsy, kinda wanting to study ahead but perhaps I won't!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They will tell you exactly what you want to hear so they can take your money when in fact the exact opposite is the truth. :
Long time user but made an new account to protect from backlash from administration. I have to say the administration has pulled the final straw on lying to us as students. They continually go back on their word and do not have your best interest in mind. The resources at the Utah campus are significantly lower than the Colorado campus but you will be curved against their class. The faculty at the Utah campus are not the ones writing the test and for departments like OPP, they have not even seen the test and are unable to answer questions. I HIGHLY recommend considering other options before choosing RVU-Ut they have consistently shown they are unwilling to be honest or to change broken policies. Every medical school has its problems but I felt I needed to add validity to what SoulfulCarbonate has been posting. He isn't vengeful he is simply stating the truth.
P.S. they have specifically told our class that we are not to post negative things on SDN and that they are monitoring the forums. A lot of people want to speak out but the backlash is real.

Obviously none of the people who are going to be attending can say anything to the contrary that is concrete, we can give our opinions about how all institutions have flaws and everyone could find some pissed-off first year. But that won't necessarily dispute what they're saying, we need an actual first year to a pipe in. For what it's worth nothing's really going to change my opinion (which I realize totally invalidates my opinion) and I'll be attending regardless, kind of have already burned all my other bridges and I'm so excited to go to the school, regardless of its flaws it is still the best fit for me, but would love some counterpoints from first years

Last edited:
we need an actual first year to a pipe in.
I am a first year and yes its an opinion but it isn't your place to discourage honest opinions about the school. You have made your choice the previous post was directed at students who might be on the fence. It may not be what you want to hear but it is the truth.

I am a first year and yes its an opinion but it isn't your place to discourage honest opinions about the school. You have made your choice the previous post was directed at students who might be on the fence. It may not be what you want to hear but it is the truth.
I appreciate the opinion, and I'm sure it will be beneficial to others to hear honest opinions. Honest opinions like yours definitely talked me out of other schools, and I'm sure the same thing will happen here. I phrased it poorly, what I meant to say was one of the first years who has been posting here for a while who could offer a counterpoint, that way we could see both sides of a story. I do appreciate your time and that of soulfulcarbonate in letting us know some of the problems with the school, so for those who haven't already turn down the offers at the other schools and they're deciding, it's very important for them to hear the bad and the nitty gritty of each School. You also have to understand that there is a slight amount of suspicion when these brand new accounts are popping up and posting negative comments, because for all we know you are also soulfulcarbonate. Of course it is most likely that you are actually First Years here, but there are other possibilities. Though I'm sure that if a student of a school was to post negative comments about their school the smartest thing to do would be to make a throwaway account, so I'm not discrediting you. Also, we don't know if you are someone who just failed an OPP test and are in a really sour mood about it and want to blame the system. Again, not saying that I necessarily think that's the case, but it's something to consider, and I'm sure you understand that from some of our perspectives that might be what it looks like. To be totally honest, I personally am inclined believe you and your story and the things you say are happening. I chose the school over other ones that I got into that had either much higher tuitions, mandatory attendance, a much heavier focus on omm, or other things that were even bigger deterrents to me then these sort of things that I expected from a new school, and people warned about at for-profit institutions. And for other people the things you're talking about will be bigger deterrence than those other things for me personally, and perhaps I'm weighing things in a way that I shouldn't. All of my rambling aside, I still wouldn't mind another first-year who we've seen post here for a long time give their two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I appreciate the opinion...two cents.
You bring up good points for choosing RVU. To give some background I'm ranked top half and have not failed an opp test but many of my classmates have. The combined curving doesn't really affect me because I have never needed a curve to pass but it is hurting our bottom 25 percent pretty bad we have reached out to administration about the discrepancy of resources and have just been told thats the way it is. Also side note I chose RVU because of cheaper tuition only to have them raise it five percent just before the start of classes. Expect to see this every year from here on out. (Although I think most schools do that as well)

You bring up good points for choosing RVU. To give some background I'm ranked top half and have not failed an opp test but many of my classmates have. The combined curving doesn't really affect me because I have never needed a curve to pass but it is hurting our bottom 25 percent pretty bad we have reached out to administration about the discrepancy of resources and have just been told thats the way it is. Also side note I chose RVU because of cheaper tuition only to have them raise it five percent just before the start of classes. Expect to see this every year from here on out. (Although I think most schools do that as well)
Congrats on being in the top half! I really hope that's where I will be haha, fingers crossed! And it's definitely important to consider the bottom 25%, I think none of us ever think that we will be there, until you get into such a competitive environment. Hopefully some changes are made and improvements are happening continually. I had seen that from last year that the tuition raised pretty soon before school started and was bummed. I also think it's pretty common, if you look at the tuition at places like AZCOM 8~ years ago, it was the same as Rocky Vista is now. Thanks again for your input, it's important for people to know, both those who are trying to decide and to get the expectations in line for those of us who've already decided it's where we'll go so when stuff like that happens it isn't so much of a shock.

Members don't see this ad :)

I for one appreciate these posts. They have definitely given me food for thought beyond the immediate gut reaction of "yay! I got in!"

I think a lot of us have trepidation about attending a new satellite school, and I have certainly trawled the internet trying to get a real sense of what RVU-UT will be like. Weird as it might sound, I'm happier knowing. I'm still waiting to hear from my top choice school, but it's late in the cycle and chances are that I'm going to RVU-UT. I'd much rather go in with some context.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I for one appreciate these posts. They have definitely given me food for thought beyond the immediate gut reaction of "yay! I got in!"

I think a lot of us have trepidation about attending a new satellite school, and I have certainly trawled the internet trying to get a real sense of what RVU-UT will be like. Weird as it might sound, I'm happier knowing. I'm still waiting to hear from my top choice school, but it's late in the cycle and chances are that I'm going to RVU-UT. I'd much rather go in with some context.
Agreed. It's kind of like going to a movie but everyone told you is really really good, only because they like the franchise and weren't willing to accept the giant plot holes, and then you go and realize it's not as good as everyone said it was. But then when you go to a movie that people said was alright but it had its problems, by the time you see in movie you're like yeah I see where they're coming from but it's still pretty decent overall. The only difference is this movie ticket cost you half a million dollars by the time all is said and done, and will affect your life for the rest of forever. So it's important to pick which movie. So basically only minor differences.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay y'all, I've been reading the back and forth on the positives negatives of RVU. I reached out to a former high school classmate who's significant other attends RVU as a 4th year and has had multiple roommates that were in the program. I copied Soulfulcarbonates post and asked for them to pass it on to their SO and friends. Here is the response I got from them (I have removed names of students, myself, and another DO program I am currently deciding between for anonymity purposes):

"Hey XXXXX, I have a lot that both person 1 and person 2 portrayed, so my conversation might not flow that well, so i apologize for that.

Also, If you want to call and talk to person 1, they might be able to vocalize it better and you could ask some follow up questions. FIrst off, School sucks. As non med student, I have seen my significant other, and three other roommates go through first year, and there is no way of saying it. First year sucks. No free time, studying more than you know was capable, and always feeing like you are behind. That being said, there is no good first year. If theres an easy first year, youre either extremely experienced in the pedical field or youre extremely smart, whick is totally possible but in my pinion, its extremely difficult.

Every schools tuition is going up. That's just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. For profit is an idea that isnt really desired, but the new President was literally brought in to make more money and expand the brand. he was brought in to make the Utah campus run, and expand the programs to have pa and masters programs, which is frustrating because why cant they just get the DO program locked down but, they need to make money. so yeah....

one thing that Student 1 said that really stuck out, is that If they were to have gone to (different DO school 1), its a great program, but your first year, you're literally taking classes with 300 plus students, frolm literally every progrem. Thats not how it is at Rocky Vista. That was a big drawback for (different DO school 1) for student 1, they interviewed there, but ultimately decided to go to Rocky Vista for the Class size. Also, over student 1's 3rd and 4th year, and interview season, the weight of RVU has high regard. Student 1 was constantly getting good reviews because they attended RVU, and they are excellent at preparing you for Step 1, as well as real world and clinical rotations. An interviewer literally told student 1 that "this program likes to take RVU students because they come prepared."

Overall, pick where you had the best interview or vibe. you're going to be there for the next 4 years, and better feel comfortable where you are. Also, on that site (SDN), there will always be people complaining about the school, but you never hear people complimenting the school, and talking about how great it is.

Sorry for the long winded explination, but just lots to say. Let me know if you want to facetime or talk about it. Hope this helped in some small way...""

Okay y'all, I've been reading the back and forth on the positives negatives of RVU. I reached out to a former high school classmate who's significant other attends RVU as a 4th year and has had multiple roommates that were in the program. I copied Soulfulcarbonates post and asked for them to pass it on to their SO and friends. Here is the response I got from them (I have removed names of students, myself, and another DO program I am currently deciding between for anonymity purposes):

"Hey XXXXX, I have a lot that both person 1 and person 2 portrayed, so my conversation might not flow that well, so i apologize for that.

Also, If you want to call and talk to person 1, they might be able to vocalize it better and you could ask some follow up questions. FIrst off, School sucks. As non med student, I have seen my significant other, and three other roommates go through first year, and there is no way of saying it. First year sucks. No free time, studying more than you know was capable, and always feeing like you are behind. That being said, there is no good first year. If theres an easy first year, youre either extremely experienced in the pedical field or youre extremely smart, whick is totally possible but in my pinion, its extremely difficult.

Every schools tuition is going up. That's just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. For profit is an idea that isnt really desired, but the new President was literally brought in to make more money and expand the brand. he was brought in to make the Utah campus run, and expand the programs to have pa and masters programs, which is frustrating because why cant they just get the DO program locked down but, they need to make money. so yeah....

one thing that Student 1 said that really stuck out, is that If they were to have gone to (different DO school 1), its a great program, but your first year, you're literally taking classes with 300 plus students, frolm literally every progrem. Thats not how it is at Rocky Vista. That was a big drawback for (different DO school 1) for student 1, they interviewed there, but ultimately decided to go to Rocky Vista for the Class size. Also, over student 1's 3rd and 4th year, and interview season, the weight of RVU has high regard. Student 1 was constantly getting good reviews because they attended RVU, and they are excellent at preparing you for Step 1, as well as real world and clinical rotations. An interviewer literally told student 1 that "this program likes to take RVU students because they come prepared."

Overall, pick where you had the best interview or vibe. you're going to be there for the next 4 years, and better feel comfortable where you are. Also, on that site (SDN), there will always be people complaining about the school, but you never hear people complimenting the school, and talking about how great it is.

Sorry for the long winded explination, but just lots to say. Let me know if you want to facetime or talk about it. Hope this helped in some small way...""

Thanks for this! It reminded me of all the reasons that I applied to RVU in the first place, and all the reasons why I'm excited to go!! Also, great perspective. I keep going back to the AACOMAS graduating senior survey and thinking about the odds that I will be content with my education when all is said and done--50%.

To escape those odds, it will be so important for us to have good coping strategies and a strong sense of why we're doing this. For me, as a crazy-person-level hiker, the Utah setting will definitely help during the hard times :X3:

Thanks for this! It reminded me of all the reasons that I applied to RVU in the first place, and all the reasons why I'm excited to go!! Also, great perspective. I keep going back to the AACOMAS graduating senior survey and thinking about the odds that I will be content with my education when all is said and done--50%.

To escape those odds, it will be so important for us to have good coping strategies and a strong sense of why we're doing this. For me, as a crazy-person-level hiker, the Utah setting will definitely help during the hard times :X3:

I think it is also important to take into account that the atmosphere and experience will be different at the two campuses. Also, I've been told by numerous medical students that medical school is what you make it. If you make it the worst thing ever, it will be. If you have a positive mentality towards it, it will be a much more pleasant experience. From the negatives I've read on this forum on either campus, I think that a mentality that I take into a lot of unknown situations can apply "expect the worst, hope for the best." Be self sufficient and do not rely on the school, profs, faculty, etc to give you what you need, but use everything they do provide for you to your benefit. Be flexible, adaptable, and roll with the punches. I think if we do that in any circumstance, we will come out with a much better experience.

Long time user but made an new account to protect from backlash from administration. I have to say the administration has pulled the final straw on lying to us as students. They continually go back on their word and do not have your best interest in mind. The resources at the Utah campus are significantly lower than the Colorado campus but you will be curved against their class. The faculty at the Utah campus are not the ones writing the test and for departments like OPP, they have not even seen the test and are unable to answer questions. I HIGHLY recommend considering other options before choosing RVU-Ut they have consistently shown they are unwilling to be honest or to change broken policies. Every medical school has its problems but I felt I needed to add validity to what SoulfulCarbonate has been posting. He isn't vengeful he is simply stating the truth.
P.S. they have specifically told our class that we are not to post negative things on SDN and that they are monitoring the forums. A lot of people want to speak out but the backlash is real.
Don't you have the emails/phone numbers of the professors at the CO campus? At my interview I was told we could contact any professors in CO if we had questions for them.

Is the SU campus ranked with the CO campus? I was under the impression each campus had their own, separate rankings.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Is the SU campus ranked with the CO campus? I was under the impression each campus had their own, separate rankings.
As of now they are separate but some students at CO are pushing for it to be combined so as to improve their rank. The whole reason we are curved together instead of separately is because a CO student complained to the Higher learning committee that it was unfair and so the policy was changed. Even though things like practicals are impossible to standardize between the two campuses but that is a rant I don't want to get into. As far as emailing, often it takes CO professors a couple of days to email back or they don't respond at all I am 3/0 from the OPP department.

As of now they are separate but some students at CO are pushing for it to be combined so as to improve their rank. The whole reason we are curved together instead of separately is because a CO student complained to the Higher learning committee that it was unfair and so the policy was changed. Even though things like practicals are impossible to standardize between the two campuses but that is a rant I don't want to get into. As far as emailing, often it takes CO professors a couple of days to email back or they don't respond at all I am 3/0 from the OPP department.
So by curving the two campuses together the tests become more difficult to pass? Is the CO campus getting so much higher than the UT campus that the curve jumps significantly by combining them?

This would only really be a problem if you were borderline on passing right?

also, if a CO a student complained and they listened... I'm not sure if that's a bad thing?

What resources specifically are you lacking at the UT campus? You get the same lectures, slides, etc. as the CO campus, right?

What resources specifically are you lacking at the UT campus? You get the same lectures, slides, etc. as the CO campus, right?
Yup same material. Same lecture slides. Primarily tutors. For neuro for example there is over ten tutoring time slots for the anatomy lab while their is no tutoring available for UT student. Also we don't have second year students. The tutoring and the second years issue won't be problem next year but is currently. Also our faculty teaching us in gross lab aren't the ones who choose what structures are being tagged... We had one practical this year where they let the Utah faculty pick the structures and low and behold we scored better than CO.

also, if a CO a student complained and they listened... I'm not sure if that's a bad thing?
The higher Learning committee is the accrediting board not the administration.

Yup same material. Same lecture slides. Primarily tutors. For neuro for example there is over ten tutoring time slots for the anatomy lab while their is no tutoring available for UT student. Also we don't have second year students. The tutoring and the second years issue won't be problem next year but is currently. Also our faculty teaching us in gross lab aren't the ones who choose what structures are being tagged... We had one practical this year where they let the Utah faculty pick the structures and low and behold we scored better than CO.
They should split who gets to pick which structures to tag evenly. Half for UT campus and half for CO campus.

Do you think rvu UT will be among the top DO schools in board scores?

They should split who gets to pick which structures to tag evenly. Half for UT campus and half for CO campus.

Do you think rvu UT will be among the top DO schools in board scores?
Logical suggestions like those are the ones that receive the "thats just how its done we aren't going to change it response."
As far as board scores I have no idea where we will land. Board scores really are less about the school and more about the individual. I'd imagine RVU will continue to have high board scores at both campuses. My opinion on why our averages are lower than CO is because our lows are lower than their lows on exams. Our median's are usually similar. We have already lost ten students though so our averages are getting closer together as our bottom starts getting cut.

Logical suggestions like those are the ones that receive the "thats just how its done we aren't going to change it response."
As far as board scores I have no idea where we will land. Board scores really are less about the school and more about the individual. I'd imagine RVU will continue to have high board scores at both campuses. My opinion on why our averages are lower than CO is because our lows are lower than their lows on exams. Our median's are usually similar. We have already lost ten students though so our averages are getting closer together as our bottom starts getting cut.
Wow 10 lost already. And that does make sense, lower lows at the newer of the two schools.

Hi just curious if any current RVU student can comment on if its possible to have a dog during school and still do well in classes?
I know when I interviewed people said they have dogs, but just wanted to get some more information as far how the schedule is the first year. Thanks
My mental health is reliant on my fur baby coming with me!

So my PCP said I didn't convert with the Hep B even though I received my booster. She also said I can keep getting boosters and not convert. Does anyone know what the process is then? They couldn't even get the quantative labs.
I'm pretty sure you can get a waiver saying you do not convert. I am in the same position. Just got the second booster, waiting another couple weeks to test.

Are there any current students at the Utah campus that would be willing to PM me about housing/housing options/living in the student housing, etc. My boyfriend and I are starting to look at housing options!

Random question, but does anyone know if RVU gives us "free" printing, or do we need to have personal access to a printer?

Random question, but does anyone know if RVU gives us "free" printing, or do we need to have personal access to a printer?
Both campuses have printing in campus and each student is given a certain amount of "free" pages a semester that they can add more money to if want.... I think. ... unless I'm mixing it up with a different interview

Both campuses have printing in campus and each student is given a certain amount of "free" pages a semester that they can add more money to if want.... I think. ... unless I'm mixing it up with a different interview
Awesome, thank you!! I don't remember them ever mentioning this at my interview. Figured somebody on here would know :)

Hey! Would you mind sharing which residency program said they like to take RVU students? Hopefully that won't compromise anonymity too much. Thanks!

Hey! Would you mind sharing which residency program said they like to take RVU students? Hopefully that won't compromise anonymity too much. Thanks!
On their website you can easily see the last two years of residency placement, which could give you a general idea, but I think it is just so specific year to year it's hard to get an idea about a trend or anything. Certain placements could be because of personal connections and you can't assume that they would like students again, and I'm sure that there are a lot of residencies that might have been filled by students but none of the students those years wanted to go. But even if you Google Rocky Vista residency placement it'll take you to the right page on the Rocky Vista website

On their website you can easily see the last two years of residency placement, which could give you a general idea, but I think it is just so specific year to year it's hard to get an idea about a trend or anything. Certain placements could be because of personal connections and you can't assume that they would like students again, and I'm sure that there are a lot of residencies that might have been filled by students but none of the students those years wanted to go. But even if you Google Rocky Vista residency placement it'll take you to the right page on the Rocky Vista website

I've looked through that- definitely a good place to start, and I agree that individual experiences with any of these programs are sure to be wildly variable. Out of curiosity I was wondering if OP would share the specific place that seems to like to take RVU students, since OP made it sound like that was an attitude at this particular institution, which views RVU students as well-prepared.

I've looked through that- definitely a good place to start, and I agree that individual experiences with any of these programs are sure to be wildly variable. Out of curiosity I was wondering if OP would share the specific place that seems to like to take RVU students, since OP made it sound like that was an attitude at this particular institution, which views RVU students as well-prepared.
Oohhh I see what you mean my bad:)

Has anyone heard anything from RVU-CO office of financial services? Are there any scholarships we can apply for? When do we start applying for loans? What does this process look like?

Has anyone heard anything from RVU-CO office of financial services? Are there any scholarships we can apply for? When do we start applying for loans? What does this process look like?

Nothing from financial services but Admissions sent info about a 4k scholarship for CO residents- app is due today so if you didn't get that email (sent Tuesday), call them!

The whole reason we are curved together instead of separately is because a CO student complained to the Higher learning committee that it was unfair and so the policy was changed.

I am a 1st year CO student and wanted to chime in on this. This is false. Sure some students may have complained about it, but it wasn't due to the complaints that it changed. The HLC came around for a routine accreditation assessment and determined that since the lecture material is exactly the same, taught by exactly the same professors, they are the same class and need to be compared accordingly irregardless of the fact there are multiple campuses. I'm not saying that is particularly right, and yeah Utah gets the short stick right now since they don't have support from things like second year tutors. But it wasn't because we got whiny. It was because the administration definitely rushed the UT campus and neglected to iron out any issues

Last edited:
What is the benefit of going to the Second Look day? I live far away and it is going to be expensive to fly in, rent a car, etc. I don't want to miss out if it's important, but I also know that I'm going to RVU no matter what. If it's not that big of a deal, I'd rather save the money.

What is the benefit of going to the Second Look day? I live far away and it is going to be expensive to fly in, rent a car, etc. I don't want to miss out if it's important, but I also know that I'm going to RVU no matter what. If it's not that big of a deal, I'd rather save the money.
I'm going, but I live in state. I almost didn't decide to go since I'm for sure going to, I'd say save your money

I'm going to look for roomates, talk to financial aid and check out apartments.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you set up an appointment with financial aid or are you just planning on dropping by? Cause I tried to set up an appointment and no one emailed me back.
While I'm there I'm going to set up an appointment for later in the week or maybe they will talk to me if I'm already in their office.

I’m stuck on the same thing. Literally found out about it on my way to Colorado to look at apartments! I have a place to stay out there but the car rentals are so dang expensive.