2017-2018 Mercer University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I'm an underdog GPA/MCAT wise. They're not horrible, but not super great either med school wise. I honestly don't know how I got an interview, and now I'm slightly freaking out because my interviewer who was a committee member was super emotionless and I couldn't tell at all if he liked me, and I'm seeing people in this thread whose stats are much better than mine got rejected. But don't mind me, I struggle with anxiety so I freak out over every little thing lol. I always leave situations feeling super confident, then the more I think about it, the less I become. :(
Thank you! I'm an underdog GPA/MCAT wise. They're not horrible, but not super great either med school wise. I honestly don't know how I got an interview, and now I'm slightly freaking out because my interviewer who was a committee member was super emotionless and I couldn't tell at all if he liked me, and I'm seeing people in this thread whose stats are much better than mine got rejected. But don't mind me, I struggle with anxiety so I freak out over every little thing lol. I always leave situations feeling super confident, then the more I think about it, the less I become. :(
Hey I am in the same boat as you as far as the mcat goes. Made a 498 which sucks I know. Have bad test anxiety and my mind just freezes up when that happens. I honestly dont know how i got an interview either. Do you mind sharing your mcat score? Im trying to figure out if my score is at all common for someone whos been interviewed. All the scores i see on here are pretty good and i dont know if thats because since there score is good they feel comftorable sharing or if its just because I suck and everyone else just has a better score lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I am in the same boat as you as far as the mcat goes. Made a 498 which sucks I know. Have bad test anxiety and my mind just freezes up when that happens. I honestly dont know how i got an interview either. Do you mind sharing your mcat score? Im trying to figure out if my score is at all common for someone whos been interviewed. All the scores i see on here are pretty good and i dont know if thats because since there score is good they feel comftorable sharing or if its just because I suck and everyone else just has a better score lol
I'll PM you! And you definitely don't suck. I totally understand the feeling of looking at the other applicants and seeing how much better they seem than you. People are much more likely to share their "good" scores than "bad" ones. I know that to me I fall on the "bad" side and wouldn't feel comfortable putting my grades/scores out, but surprisingly one of my interviewers commented that I had good grades, even though I'm personally not happy with them. But, you got an interview, so that means despite your MCAT not being as high as others, you still seem like a potentially good fit for Mercer and to be a doctor. Just make sure that you know all the other aspects of your application really well since they'll most likely ask you specific questions, and let your personality shine. If they ask you about your MCAT (they didn't for me, but you never know) just be honest and let them know what happened, and make sure it's clear that despite your score, you would be successful in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll PM you! And you definitely don't suck. I totally understand the feeling of looking at the other applicants and seeing how much better they seem than you. People are much more likely to share their "good" scores than "bad" ones. I know that to me I fall on the "bad" side and wouldn't feel comfortable putting my grades/scores out, but surprisingly one of my interviewers commented that I had good grades, even though I'm personally not happy with them. But, you got an interview, so that means despite your MCAT not being as high as others, you still seem like a potentially good fit for Mercer and to be a doctor. Just make sure that you know all the other aspects of your application really well since they'll most likely ask you specific questions, and let your personality shine. If they ask you about your MCAT (they didn't for me, but you never know) just be honest and let them know what happened, and make sure it's clear that despite your score, you would be successful in med school.
I'm in the exact same boat. No love yet from Mercer. Fingers crossed for II.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not you...This process is just anxiety inducing. I mean, I've been in countless crazy ACLS situations and was chill but at a recent interview my nerves definitely got the best of me with my closed file interviewer (Top choice school, too...really hoping my open-file interview gets me accepted anyway). Yet, I really think you did better than you fear. Good luck!

It's not you...This process is just anxiety inducing. I mean, I've been in countless crazy ACLS situations and was chill but at a recent interview my nerves definitely got the best of me with my closed file interviewer (Top choice school, too...really hoping my open-file interview gets me accepted anyway). Yet, I really think you did better than you fear. Good luck!
Thank you so much :)

Hi guys, no acceptance here yet, but just forward thinking ... did my interview through Skype so I haven't actually seen either campus. Any feedback from interviewees or current students as to pros and cons of Savannah vs Macon campus?

Hi guys, no acceptance here yet, but just forward thinking ... did my interview through Skype so I haven't actually seen either campus. Any feedback from interviewees or current students as to pros and cons of Savannah vs Macon campus?
I went to Mercer for undergrad so I'm super familiar with the Macon campus.

Pros:
Campus feel/activities because the medical school is on the undergrad campus (pro for me personally, could be a con for some people)
Campus is constantly upgrading (just built a new science building steps away from the med school building)
Cost of living is lower than in Savannah (I interviewed in Savannah and the current students said most people live in/rent houses, apartments are widely available in Macon)
About 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta (I've made the drive sooo many times, it goes by super quickly)

Cons:
Medical school building is older/not as fancy as Savannah
Not much to do in Macon compared to Savannah (random, but Macon is getting rid of its only Target and that really bums me out lol)
Hospital is farther away than Savannah (hospital is walking distance behind the med school building in Savannah)
No close access to the beach like in Savannah

While at Mercer for undergrad, I 100% thought I'd choose the Savannah campus for med school, but now I'm realizing that the campus feel of Macon is better for me :)
I'm probably forgetting stuff, so if you (or anyone) have any specific questions about the Macon campus/Macon in general, please feel free to ask :)

I went to Mercer for undergrad so I'm super familiar with the Macon campus.

Pros:
Campus feel/activities because the medical school is on the undergrad campus (pro for me personally, could be a con for some people)
Campus is constantly upgrading (just built a new science building steps away from the med school building)
Cost of living is lower than in Savannah (I interviewed in Savannah and the current students said most people live in/rent houses, apartments are widely available in Macon)
About 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta (I've made the drive sooo many times, it goes by super quickly)

Cons:
Medical school building is older/not as fancy as Savannah
Not much to do in Macon compared to Savannah (random, but Macon is getting rid of its only Target and that really bums me out lol)
Hospital is farther away than Savannah (hospital is walking distance behind the med school building in Savannah)
No close access to the beach like in Savannah

While at Mercer for undergrad, I 100% thought I'd choose the Savannah campus for med school, but now I'm realizing that the campus feel of Macon is better for me :)
I'm probably forgetting stuff, so if you (or anyone) have any specific questions about the Macon campus/Macon in general, please feel free to ask :)
This is very helpful! Thanks for your detailed response :D

So is the meeting this Wednesday and they said we should hear by Friday if we were accepted this month? or is the meeting literally on Friday?

Last edited:
So is the meeting this Wednesday and they said we should hear by Friday if we were accepted this month? or is the meeting literally on Friday?
I believe the meeting is on Friday and they usually call after the meeting/the next morning then send emails after if you're accepted. Some people get calls, some don't, but everyone should be emailed.

Has mercer given out any pre-II rejections ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any luck calling admissions and asking for a status update pre-II?

Has anyone had any luck calling admissions and asking for a status update pre-II?

I called and literally all they said was that I haven't been rejected yet and my application is still up for consideration

Got the call last night! The committee met last night and was accepted! I'm so happy. Can't wait to meet my fellow classmates! Class of 2022! Will try to answer any questions you guys have. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Mercer please don’t roll me over again . Did both campuses committee meet yesterday or only Savanah?

Mercer please don’t roll me over again . Did both campuses committee meet yesterday or only Savanah?
How do you know that it was the Savannah campus that met yesterday and not the Macon campus?

Wow, I just interviewed at Savannah and was told the 15th. Oh well. On to next month, I guess...

Wow, I just interviewed at Savannah and was told the 15th. Oh well. On to next month, I guess...
I called yesterday and Sabina told me the 15th. So maybe it was Macon that met and not Savannah? Or maybe they haven't finished notifications?

I called yesterday and Sabina told me the 15th. So maybe it was Macon that met and not Savannah? Or maybe they haven't finished notifications?

So they have two distinct adcoms? Thats very different. I mean, MCG for example has two campuses (athens is MUCH smaller) but only one adcom. So, are you only considered for admission on the campus that you interview at?

So they have two distinct adcoms? Thats very different. I mean, MCG for example has two campuses (athens is MUCH smaller) but only one adcom. So, are you only considered for admission on the campus that you interview at?
I believe the committee where you interviewed determines if you get in, but after admission, you can choose to go to either campus.

How do you know that it was the Savannah campus that met yesterday and not the Macon campus?

I know someone who got accepted yesterday from Savanah. I think what they meant was they would notify as soon as they are done with the review and expect to finish notifying on Friday

I got accepted today! I interviewed in Savannah on 11/09.

So did they move tomorrow's meeting? Or will the committee still meet tomorrow?

has anyone received any II love from here recently? getting anxious..

Does anyone know if the committee met in Macon yesterday?

Did anyone got accepted this week from Macon? So far acceptances were sent to Savannah only, I think.

I messaged Stephanie on Fri and she said the committee met Thurs evening, so rolled over again ... best of luck as always going forward!
Did anyone got accepted this week from Macon? So far acceptances were sent to Savannah only, I think.

Last edited:
You have to submit a campus request form, and I'm sure whatever campus you put down you'll get since nothing's full
I filled out the campus request form! I was just wondering if they would let me know soon.

Do you have to hold an offer of acceptance to submit a campus preference form or can you go ahead and do it?

Do you have to hold an offer of acceptance to submit a campus preference form or can you go ahead and do it?
I believe you have to be accepted first and that they send the request form after you get accepted.

Does Mercer take updates? Also can we send in our grades from this last semester?

I feel like being rolled over = being on future waitlist. Does anyone know anyone who got accepted after being rolled over (without being on the waitlist)?

Do yall think it would be worth updating my gpa from a 3.69 to a 3.74? It says you can submit “substantial” updates but I dont know if thats really all that big of an improvement. I dont want to annoy them with trivial info

Do yall think it would be worth updating my gpa from a 3.69 to a 3.74? It says you can submit “substantial” updates but I dont know if thats really all that big of an improvement. I dont want to annoy them with trivial info

My gpa took a similar jump. I sent them in an update but paired it with several other things including about 1300 hours of phlebotomy work, new shadowing/teaching experiences, and a new minor added on that will be completed before the end of spring.

You could possibly ask the admissions office to make sure, but I know when I applied last year I was able to just update my grades. But it was pretty easy to do so since I was on the same campus, and I gave it to the office on paper, not electronically.

Anyone receive interviews this month? Anyone know when they stop giving interviews?