2017-2018 Mercer University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying ED to Mercer this year! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently on the waitlist and I felt that I might have a good shot of getting accepted if I applied ED this year. They accept about 50% of their class from Early Decision. I want to go to Mercer because of their focus on primary care and medicine in underserved areas.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently on the waitlist and I felt that I might have a good shot of getting accepted if I applied ED this year. They accept about 50% of their class from Early Decision. I want to go to Mercer because of their focus on primary care and medicine in underserved areas.

Thanks!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I also applied for early decision!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I also applied for early decision!

I don't really feel that sharing stats helps anyone, but I will tell you that my MCAT and GPA are slightly lower than the averages listed on StartClass (29 and 3.61, respectively).

I don't really feel that sharing stats helps anyone, but I will tell you that my MCAT and GPA are slightly lower than the averages listed on StartClass (29 and 3.61, respectively).
Ok! Thanks! Best of luck!

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
*** Patiently waiting for a secondary hahah ***

Ya, I have not received a secondary yet. They should be coming soon though considering the app opened a month ago!

Applied early to here instead of MCG because I felt like my essay really aligned with their mission statement.

MCAT is slightly below average and GPA is above average.

Applied early to here instead of MCG because I felt like my essay really aligned with their mission statement.

MCAT is slightly below average and GPA is above average.
Same here. I actually just took my MCAT on 6/30 so I don't have my score yet but I'm pretty sure it'll be below average haha gpa is above average so hoping they balance out. Good luck!

Secondaries are now going out for EDP and regular admissions.

Received a secondary this afternoon! Good luck everyone!

In the declaration form it said to attach a state's ID, but do we have to mail them physically or just scan and upload?

In the declaration form it said to attach a state's ID, but do we have to mail them physically or just scan and upload?

No you just have to upload. There is a place to upload it in the secondary

Can someone share the questions for secondary please? Thanks!

Can someone share the questions for secondary please? Thanks!
Gotchu fam
Do you consider yourself to have been raised rural? Please explain.

Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.

Upon completion of undergraduate medical education and residency, what do you envision yourself doing?

The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences you believe reflect congruence with this mission. There is no need to elaborate on relevant experiences listed in your primary application but please include references to them as appropriate, and summarize them here.

If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM.

Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help them better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the primary AMCAS application, please summarize them below.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, first time applicant here, but with regards to the first two questions, how comprehensive do y'all think the answers should be? Literally I don't know what else to say other than to say "no I live in a privileged suburb"

Gotchu fam
Do you consider yourself to have been raised rural? Please explain.

Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.

Upon completion of undergraduate medical education and residency, what do you envision yourself doing?

The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences you believe reflect congruence with this mission. There is no need to elaborate on relevant experiences listed in your primary application but please include references to them as appropriate, and summarize them here.

If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM.

Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help them better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the primary AMCAS application, please summarize them below.
Thanks for posting this. What's the character or word limit for each prompt?

If we get an email saying our secondary application was received by MUSM, will we get a separate email saying our application is complete or do they mean the same thing?

I don't think Mercer sends out a specific "Complete Application" email. They send out an email saying they've received your secondary, and another saying they've received your Domicile form. After that I don't think you get anything else before you get an II (if you are invited). Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

I don't think Mercer sends out a specific "Complete Application" email. They send out an email saying they've received your secondary, and another saying they've received your Domicile form. After that I don't think you get anything else before you get an II (if you are invited). Correct me if I'm wrong, though!
Ok, got it. Thank you and best of luck!

Also, first time applicant here, but with regards to the first two questions, how comprehensive do y'all think the answers should be? Literally I don't know what else to say other than to say "no I live in a privileged suburb"

I definitely wouldn't just say "I am privileged." You should search online and see if your city or county has underserved populations. You might be surprised by what you find is going on in your own county. Also, if you've shadowed doctors in underserved areas, you could talk about that experience as well.

Edit: Assuming you are talking about question number 5.

Gpc and then Gatech, biochem major. Good luck everyone

Last edited:
please share your stats if you don't mind ,
gpa ?,
mcat or LizzyM,?
EDP or RD, ?
in state or out of state?
first time applicant or reapplicant...?,
I am trying to build a stats sheet and will share with you down the road with (no names) so we keep track with acceptances , waitlists , dates and so on

Does anyone know when they will begin interviews

From Mercer's wesbite:

"Interview Dates:

Early Decision Program Applicant Interviews: Aug 22 - Sep 12, 2017

Early Decision Program Applicants will be notified of the outcome (accepted / rejected / deferred to regular pool and remain under consideration) no later than Sep 30, 2017.

Regular Pool Applicant Interviews: Sep 14, 2017 - Jan 30, 2018

Interviews are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the Macon and Savannah Campuses.

Notification of accepted interviewed Regular Pool Applicants will commence Oct 18, 2017. Applicants that are not accepted are rolled over to the next available meeting. Applicants from Early and Regular Pools that the committee would like to continue to consider past mid-March will be sent an invitation to be on the Wait List no later than March 15, 2018."

As far as IIs being sent out, they have historically begun around July 18th or so. I hope they start this week, though, because I'm antsy.

@jsmit663

From Mercer's wesbite:

"Interview Dates:

Early Decision Program Applicant Interviews: Aug 22 - Sep 12, 2017

Early Decision Program Applicants will be notified of the outcome (accepted / rejected / deferred to regular pool and remain under consideration) no later than Sep 30, 2017.

Regular Pool Applicant Interviews: Sep 14, 2017 - Jan 30, 2018

Interviews are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the Macon and Savannah Campuses.

Notification of accepted interviewed Regular Pool Applicants will commence Oct 18, 2017. Applicants that are not accepted are rolled over to the next available meeting. Applicants from Early and Regular Pools that the committee would like to continue to consider past mid-March will be sent an invitation to be on the Wait List no later than March 15, 2018."

As far as IIs being sent out, they have historically begun around July 18th or so. I hope they start this week, though, because I'm antsy.

@jsmit663
I've heard they hold meetings every 3rd wend of the month. So, the 18 or 19 sounds about right. thanks!

Hello, hoping to get some love from Mercer. I'm a GA native as well.

Just applied (EDP) and sending out my domicile form tomorrow in the mail. I go to UGA but haven't lived in GA all my life so I'm wondering if it'll have an impact on my chances.

Just applied (EDP) and sending out my domicile form tomorrow in the mail. I go to UGA but haven't lived in GA all my life so I'm wondering if it'll have an impact on my chances.

Are we supposed to mail it in? I thought we were supposed to keep the original and just upload a copy of it online. I can't remember what I did last year.

Are we supposed to mail it in? I thought we were supposed to keep the original and just upload a copy of it online. I can't remember what I did last year.

They have an option to upload