2019-2020 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To the future 20-21 people reading this thread:
1. If you’re going to post, please don’t use unnecessary acronyms. Just take the 2.5 seconds to type it out bro. Guaranteed someone’s going to ask you what it means, and using an acronym makes you no cooler than you were before.
2. Don’t worship this website/thread. It will make zero difference to the admissions committee whether or not you’re learnt on your SDN speculative timing of decisions etc. Instead focus on making your own app better than everyone else’s.
3. After going through this cycle, and seeing some friends get in that had super low stats, you should always consider that MD admissions is somewhat of a crap shoot. People get in that shouldn’t and people don’t get in that should. It’s a massive bottleneck and something we all have to go through. The process really truly does suck.

lastly, enjoy your life. The day I let go of worrying about admissions is the day I started to feel so much better about myself, my abilities, and my future. I didn’t even get in this cycle, and I feel way better than I thought I would. It’s truly not the end of the world.

Thanks for writing this. Getting into an MD school was a dream of mine. Mercer's mission and values were also aligned with my own goals in primary care medicine. However, things don't always go according to plan. I got accepted into a DO school that is 20 mins away from my house. At first, I was upset and angry at the fact that I was unworthy of an MD admission. But after a few months of reflection, I know that I can still practice in the primary care field with a DO degree. Sure it will challenging with additional exams, but life isn't easy. And most importantly, I am grateful that I still have an acceptance this year and my goals in medicine are no longer a dream. Best of luck to all of you, and remember to find positives in a negative situation :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for writing this. Getting into an MD school was a dream of mine. Mercer's mission and values were also aligned with my own goals in primary care medicine. However, things don't always go according to plan. I got accepted into a DO school that is 20 mins away from my house. At first, I was upset and angry at the fact that I was unworthy of an MD admission. But after a few months of reflection, I know that I can still practice in the primary care field with a DO degree. Sure it will challenging with additional exams, but life isn't easy. And most importantly, I am grateful that I still have an acceptance this year and my goals in medicine are no longer a dream. Best of luck to all of you, and remember to find positives in a negative situation :)
Your and ras1211's post accurately sums up exactly how I felt and about trying so hard to get that A into Mercer and go allopathic. I felt I also fit Mercer's mission quite well with a very primary care focused app and tried twice for Mercer, RD last year, ED this time, had great interviews, sent LOIs, did everything right and no luck. I totally agree that it truly is a crapshoot process. But in the end, just like you I was fortunate to get that A at the same DO school. Even though I used to get so hung up on going MD over DO, after 2 cycles of stress and reapplying, I have learned to let this go and now am just so ready to move on from premed hell and taking more gap years improving apps. With acceptance in hand, I too am so grateful that in the end I'll finally be a doctor. Two letters don't make a great doctor, the person behind the letters do.
Like you and ras1211 say, its all about perspective.
In any case, I'm looking forward to being classmates with you this Fall! :)

Reactions: 3 users
One of my friends just got accepted in Mercer class of 2024 today. So there is still a chance.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still on the Waitlist, and I'm not expecting any good news considering its almost August, but any idea why they haven't sent rejections yet for those still waitlisted?

I'm still on the Waitlist, and I'm not expecting any good news considering its almost August, but any idea why they haven't sent rejections yet for those still waitlisted?
They don’t send those letters until school starts.