2017-2018 Mercer University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for sharing your perspective as someone who had to make a very similar decision and what the ED doctors had to say! I remember the level 1 trauma center being a big selling point on interview day but just didn't know how important it was to have access to that since I've never had experience in such an environment.

I'm leaning very heavily towards Mercer at this point. I just...need a few days and also don't know how to even go about declining such a massive scholarship lol. I feel like I should send something in writing or something after they were so generous to select me, but I don't really know the proper etiquette for such scenarios.
Where did you interview for Mercer?

That's so bada$$ that PCOM gave that to you though. Not many people get them. Isn't it like a single digit number?

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you interview for Mercer?

That's so bada$$ that PCOM gave that to you though. Not many people get them. Isn't it like a single digit number?
Savannah, why? Yeah, it was extremely unexpected! And now that I'm considering giving it up, I feel so guilty and ungrateful. :( I really don't know how many they give, but yeah, I imagine it isn't many.

Savannah, why? Yeah, it was extremely unexpected! And now that I'm considering giving it up, I feel so guilty and ungrateful. :( I really don't know how many they give, but yeah, I imagine it isn't many.
As someone with debt from undergrad, grad, and soon med school, I can’t imagine the oppportunity to come out without it. That said, in my opinion, it should be primarily whatever programme you see yourself flourishing in and will get you to where you want to be. I know people at both, who love both ... but they also have differing goals and perspectives in medicine. If that doesn’t help much, I always make an old fashioned pros/cons list. Congrats on having these offers and best of luck :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because I interviewed at Savannah too and I remember they kept talking about the level 1 trauma center too. I chose to be at Macon though so I was hoping you had insight to Macon's Level 1 trauma center. :p

Because I interviewed at Savannah too and I remember they kept talking about the level 1 trauma center too. I chose to be at Macon though so I was hoping you had insight to Macon's Level 1 trauma center. :p

They also kept talking about level I at my interview, which is funny, as a fifth of the class goes to Columbus for clerkships

Just withdrew my application from MUSM after being accepted earlier this week. Glad to know one of you deserving students will get my spot! Good luck and stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is a silly thing to be worried about lol, but is anyone else having a hard time adding MUSM to their education section on Facebook? The only options it gives me are for the skeleton library and family therapy program.

I know this is a silly thing to be worried about lol, but is anyone else having a hard time adding MUSM to their education section on Facebook? The only options it gives me are for the skeleton library and family therapy program.
Yeah, no official page came up when I tried to add it. Idk what's up with that

lmao!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Man, I really hoped my Facebook education-setting woes would end when I decided against going to GA-PCOM. :p lol. I hated how it would just say I was going to "GA-PCOM" instead of it being spelled out because most people have no idea what "PCOM" is. At least they HAD a page, though. :p

Man, I really hoped my Facebook education-setting woes would end when I decided against going to GA-PCOM. :p lol. I hated how it would just say I was going to "GA-PCOM" instead of it being spelled out because most people have no idea what "PCOM" is. At least they HAD a page, though. :p
MUSM does have a page though. Mercer University School of Medicine Idk why it doesn't show up when you try to add it as education though... I'm glad I'm not the only one that's bothered by stuff like that lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao, I'm still debating whether or not to put it on FB.
haha I wasn't sure whether I should either since the cycle isn't over yet, and I had already once told people I was going to a certain school only for that to change.

Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing moms out there!!! I'm sure none of us would've gotten into MD school without them, and I'm sure they are all really proud of us!

I'm currently on the waitlist and I felt that I might have a good shot of getting accepted if I applied ED this year. They accept about 50% of their class from Early Decision. I want to go to Mercer because of their focus on primary care and medicine in underserved areas.

I'm still waitlisted and I'm super stressed. I put together this questionnaire to see where everyone stands as far as Mercer waitlist/acceptance. Please fill this out so we know we are not alone! I promise it will take like 2 minutes. unfortunately, because I am new, it won't let me actually put a link but the survey is on SurveyMonkey and it is
upload_2018-5-14_12-2-40.png

Good luck to everyone!!!

Update:
I just changed one of the questions about acceptance date so that the actual values would be easier to see in a graph (SurveyMonkey makes you pay for some of the features and I have no money). Anyway, thus far, the 2 people that have been accepted off the waitlist received notification on 4/14/18 and 4/30/18.

Last edited:
Cheers to more movement. I got the acceptance E-mail!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats. Tbh, I wonder what did I do wrong at the interview and how low am I on the list... :(

Way back in Oct
I don’t really feel it’s always “right or wrong” although if you say something really inappropriate like I did at one of my interviews then that’s not good. But it could be “fit or unfit” for our school. :)

There's also a lot of sheer luck involved in the process. Last cycle, I felt my interviews went overall well. Not amazingly but pretty average. I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. This time around, one of my two interviews was an absolute disaster. The interviewer kept a deadpan face the entire time and never responded to any of my answers to his questions, which caused me to get increasingly nervous as the interview went on. I was so certain that I already had a very tiny chance of acceptance since the previous cycle showed that I was obviously not really what they were looking for and that I had blown any sliver of a chance I may have had. Then I came off the waitlist on traffic day. So you just never really know. That said, it's way too early to lose hope. Waitlist movement just really started two weeks ago. :)

Last edited:
There's also a lot of sheer luck involved in the process. Last cycle, I felt my interviews went overall well. Now amazingly but pretty average. I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected. This time around, one of my two interviews was an absolute disaster. The interviewer kept a deadpan face the entire time and never responded to any of my answers to his questions, which caused me to get increasingly nervous as the interview went on. I was so certain that I already had a very tiny chance of acceptance since the previous cycle showed that I was obviously not really what they were looking for and that I had blown any sliver of a chance I may have had. Then I came off the waitlist on traffic day. So you just never really know. That said, it's way too early to lose hope. Waitlist movement just really started two weeks ago. :)
Did you interview in Savannah, because my first interviewer was exactly how you described, and since he was the committee interviewer I thought my chances were low. I didn't even get an II from Mercer last cycle

Did you interview in Savannah, because my first interviewer was exactly how you described, and since he was the committee interviewer I thought my chances were low. I didn't even get an II from Mercer last cycle
Yep! I saw you mention that you had no way of telling what your interviewer thought of you and was thinking it sounded like we might have had the same person. The person who was supposed to interview me actually called out sick or something, so they had him interview me instead. I was so upset because I felt like I could have performed so much better with someone with a different interviewing style, but I guess it all worked out!

To accepted students: how much are you pulling in loans? What's your monthly rent/utility expense budget? Just trying to get someone else's view

To accepted students: how much are you pulling in loans? What's your monthly rent/utility expense budget? Just trying to get someone else's view
I'm thinking about taking out about $60,000 in loans. My theoretical monthly rent is $550 and utilities are $150 (depends on where I live; I'll be living by myself). My parents said they'd offset some costs but we haven't talked about what exactly, so $60,000 would be the absolute max.

I'm thinking about taking out about $60,000 in loans. My theoretical monthly rent is $550 and utilities are $150 (depends on where I live; I'll be living by myself). My parents said they'd offset some costs but we haven't talked about what exactly, so $60,000 would be the absolute max.[/QUOTE
Wow that's really good

Can any current female students comment on whether going purely off of bust measurement wound up being a reliable means of determining their white coat size? I'm a bit nervous to order the size 10 I would wear based on my bust size because I normally wear size 4 or 6 in women's clothing. I'm very short, so I don't want my white coat to be swallowing me in every way haha, but I obviously also don't want to wind up with one that's too small.

Can any current female students comment on whether going purely off of bust measurement wound up being a reliable means of determining their white coat size? I'm a bit nervous to order the size 10 I would wear based on my bust size because I normally wear size 4 or 6 in women's clothing. I'm very short, so I don't want my white coat to be swallowing me in every way haha, but I obviously also don't want to wind up with one that's too small.
I’m having the same problem!! I’m scared the order it.

I got accepted to MCG and I’m withdrawing from Mercer. I really hope one of you guys gets it.