2019-2020 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought CTE was always April 30 for all schools? This is news to me
April 30 is the day CTE becomes available. I have seen schools whose deadlines are April 30, but they start at the end of May

Members don't see this ad.

CTE is kind of a mess really. Since medical schools can make their own CTE deadlines. Some CTE deadlines are June others span all the way to July.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, strange. I’m fairly certain every school that uses AMCAS (so all of them except for Texas schools) has to have a CTE date but I suppose I could be wrong. Has anyone checked MSAR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I resubscribed to MSAR b/c prepping for that reapp. It seems it's only showing dates for next cycle, though. I don't see any CTE deadline.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.10.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.10.55 PM.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 118
I totally feel the same way. My CTE deadline is a week and a half away. It sucks cause Mercer was my first choice and the only med school I haven’t gotten into out of my 3 MD interviews. Very heart broken!

I totally feel the same way. My CTE deadline is a week and a half away. It sucks cause Mercer was my first choice and the only med school I haven’t gotten into out of my 3 MD interviews. Very heart broken!
What other schools did you get into if you dont mind me asking?

What other schools did you get into if you dont mind me asking?
I got into USUHS and Neomed. Hardly got any love from Georgia schools this cycle. And I would really like to stay close to home and nearby family due to COVID and other personal situations. So I’m trying to hold onto some positivity that Mercer could come through.

I got into USUHS and Neomed. Hardly got any love from Georgia schools this cycle. And I would really like to stay close to home and nearby family due to COVID and other personal situations. So I’m trying to hold onto some positivity that Mercer could come through.
Nice! What’s USUHS and what’s Neomed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! What’s USUHS and what’s Neomed?
USUHS is the military medical school and Neomed is a state school in Ohio. I’ll have to pay out of state tuition the first year until I can get in state residency.

USUHS is the military medical school and Neomed is a state school in Ohio. I’ll have to pay out of state tuition the first year until I can get in state residency.
Gotcha! Well good luck!

Awh I'm happy for you!! hope you get into your top choice, mercer though :)

Thanks for all the support you all! Hopefully this cycle will work out for all of us!

did you try writing a letter of intent? Mention you got into those schools, but Mercer is still top choice

did you try writing a letter of intent? Mention you got into those schools, but Mercer is still top choice
I already did that. I feel like I gave it my best shot. But thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep they told me their class is pretty full too. So I withdrew since my CTE deadline is soon. Good luck y’all

Anyone applying ED this cycle? I'm debating doing it, but I'm not sure that's wise, considering the corona situation and everything? Would RD be much safer this cycle? Advice and thoughts please??? ..... :scared:

Anyone applying ED this cycle? I'm debating doing it, but I'm not sure that's wise, considering the corona situation and everything? Would RD be much safer this cycle? Advice and thoughts please??? ..... :scared:
Just my two cents, but I’d probably advise against it. Didn’t you also apply last cycle ED here but they didn’t even give you an interview invite? Tbh if your app hasn’t seriously improved since last cycle then the same thing could happen again and then you’d hurt your chances at other MD schools applying late in October. IMO too much risk than reward. I think you’d have much more success this coming cycle applying early with RD and casting a wide net of MD and DO schools. Best of luck!

:kitty:
Just my two cents, but I’d probably advise against it. Didn’t you also apply last cycle ED here but they didn’t even give you an interview invite? Tbh if your app hasn’t seriously improved since last cycle then the same thing could happen again and then you’d hurt your chances at other MD schools applying late in October. IMO too much risk than reward. I think you’d have much more success this coming cycle applying early with RD and casting a wide net of MD and DO schools. Best of luck!

Totally understood, and thank you so much for the advice..... it is much appreciated! ..... :) I applied a bit late to ED last cycle though (getting my secondary in at the end of August)? So, do you think applying at pretty much the beginning of ED and getting my secondary in much sooner would make my chances much better?

Did you always apply ED to Mercer?

:kitty:

Totally understood, and thank you so much for the advice..... it is much appreciated! ..... :) I applied a bit late to ED last cycle though (getting my secondary in at the end of August)? So, do you think applying at pretty much the beginning of ED and getting my secondary in much sooner would make my chances much better?

From my understanding, when you apply ED, they don’t give interview invites until afterthe ED deadline, so applying late in the ED cycle does not matter.

From my understanding, when you apply ED, they don’t give interview invites until afterthe ED deadline, so applying late in the ED cycle does not matter.
This is 100% inaccurate. Mercer places a big emphasis on people applying early. A friend of mine received their ED interview invite the second week of July this past cycle.

@Tennis Guy if you applied late in the ED cycle (mid-late August), you might as well have been viewed as a RD applicant. I would strongly suggest reaching out to admissions and asking to meet with them in person to discuss your chances. If you do not have a rural background and are not clearly mission-compliant, applying ED will not be worth it.

Just last cycle
Understood..... did you apply with the same MCAT score that you had the prior cycle or one that was higher? You were finally accepted applying ED? When did you receive your acceptance? When did you have your whole app and secondaries completed and in?

This is 100% inaccurate. Mercer places a big emphasis on people applying early. A friend of mine received their ED interview invite the second week of July this past cycle.

@Tennis Guy if you applied late in the ED cycle (mid-late August), you might as well have been viewed as a RD applicant. I would strongly suggest reaching out to admissions and asking to meet with them in person to discuss your chances. If you do not have a rural background and are not clearly mission-compliant, applying ED will not be worth it.

oh my bad, that was one of the advantages discussed for ED when I was a grad student at MUSM, but I could be wrong. I’d call someone at admissions to confirm. Also, when I was a grad student, multiple advisors discouraged me from applying ED bc of mission compliance, but I know a good number of my classmates who weren’t traditionally mission compliant (from a rural area) got in by showing interest in rural medicine.

I called admissions, the ED cycle is rolling as well, but everyone receives their decision at the same time through one adcom meeting vs monthly meetings in RD. So someone interviewing earlier wouldn’t have an advantage over someone Who interviewed later as in RD. But for interview invites, there’s definitely an advantage to applying early! Sorry for any misinformation spread!

Accepted yesterday around the same time. Interviewed in October.

Congrats to you both!! That's awesome!! Did Mercer indicate a CTE when you were accepted?

Congrats to you both!! That's awesome!! Did Mercer indicate a CTE when you were accepted?
I think what I have heard is that once you get pulled from the Waitlist you have exactly 48 hours to pay the $100 deposit. If you do not your open seat VANISHES!

I think what I have heard is that once you get pulled from the Waitlist you have exactly 48 hours to pay the $100 deposit. If you do not your open seat VANISHES!
Pretty much what saj96 said, 2 business days. Congrats to you as well @maylic.

I got accepted Wednesday! I interviewed in February, but I was wait listed.

I withdrew my acceptance due to getting off the waitlist at my top choice. Best wishes to those of you still on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 2 users
To the future 20-21 people reading this thread:
1. If you’re going to post, please don’t use unnecessary acronyms. Just take the 2.5 seconds to type it out bro. Guaranteed someone’s going to ask you what it means, and using an acronym makes you no cooler than you were before.
2. Don’t worship this website/thread. It will make zero difference to the admissions committee whether or not you’re learnt on your SDN speculative timing of decisions etc. Instead focus on making your own app better than everyone else’s.
3. After going through this cycle, and seeing some friends get in that had super low stats, you should always consider that MD admissions is somewhat of a crap shoot. People get in that shouldn’t and people don’t get in that should. It’s a massive bottleneck and something we all have to go through. The process really truly does suck.

lastly, enjoy your life. The day I let go of worrying about admissions is the day I started to feel so much better about myself, my abilities, and my future. I didn’t even get in this cycle, and I feel way better than I thought I would. It’s truly not the end of the world.

Reactions: 3 users