2017-2018 Mercer University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of curiosity, what were your stats like? I did a late secondary for Mercer about a week after you, just trying to see if I might still have an II chance.
I'm right on average for MCAT and a bit low GPA wise for Mercer. I have over 100 hours of shadowing, worked in a pediatrics office for a year, lots of community service, was a teacher's assistant for general chemistry for 3 1/2 years at Mercer and did research at MUSM for two years. I graduated with two degrees. I really think my activities helped me because my numbers are pretty poor imo. I entered Mercer as part of the GAP program, but I had a really hard time in college and my GPA went under the requirement. I got rejected post-secondary last year, so I'm so thrilled to get an interview. Hopefully I do well enough. Hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm right on average for MCAT and a bit low GPA wise for Mercer. I have over 100 hours of shadowing, worked in a pediatrics office for a year, lots of community service, was a teacher's assistant for general chemistry for 3 1/2 years at Mercer and did research at MUSM for two years. I graduated with two degrees. I really think my activities helped me because my numbers are pretty poor imo. I entered Mercer as part of the GAP program, but I had a really hard time in college and my GPA went under the requirement. I got rejected post-secondary last year, so I'm so thrilled to get an interview. Hopefully I do well enough. Hope this helps :)

Congrats on the interview and good luck! You sound like an awesome candidate to me, especially with the two years of research. I'm probably a bit low on the GPA myself, although with a killer trend and very high MCAT. Hoping its enough to get the interview.....

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the interview and good luck! You sound like an awesome candidate to me, especially with the two years of research. I'm probably a bit low on the GPA myself, although with a killer trend and very high MCAT. Hoping its enough to get the interview.....
Thank you so much :) I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite!! I️ seriously can’t believe it cause I️ literally didn’t submit my secondary until last week...and literally yesterday I️ had a meltdown over the entire process and God’s timing was just right. Definitely one of my top schools and aligns just right with my mission and goals. Gotta stay positive from now on :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
committee meets third thurs of every month right?

committee meets third thurs of every month right?
I think it’s every third Wednesday after 5 PM. They make calls that evening and emails/calls the next day!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone submitted an update via email to Mercer? Just wondering whether they replied back saying they received it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted an update via email to Mercer? Just wondering whether they replied back saying they received it.
yes, they replied back to me saying they received it and added it to my file

GOT THE CALL!!! ACCEPTED!!

I must've sounded like a bumbling fool on the phone, but I don't even care! Class of 2022, y'all!

Reactions: 12 users
GOT THE CALL!!! ACCEPTED!!

I must've sounded like a bumbling fool on the phone, but I don't even care! Class of 2022, y'all!

CONGRATS!!!! Make sure to add that acceptance to your signature tally thing! Crossing my fingers hoping I get a call too! When did you interview?

I hope like last batch, some email will be sent tomorrow without the call. Other than that, see you next month :(

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call now! Super excited. Interviewed on 10/10 in Savannah

Reactions: 5 users
Just got a rejection email from Mercer.... I'm shocked because my stats were good and I had the impression my interview day went exceptionally well.. oh well. Hoping MCG takes me :/

Just submitted my secondary today. I know it’s really late in the cycle but I really love this school’s mission and figured that it’s worth a shot!

Anyone still waiting on an II? I was complete October 5th...

Anyone still waiting on an II? I was complete October 5th...

I am. I'd love to have an II from here (complete a few weeks after you), but no love so far from the adcom and have kinda made my peace with it.

I am. I'd love to have an II from here (complete a few weeks after you), but no love so far from the adcom and have kinda made my peace with it.

Man, no reason to have made peace with it yet. You applied pretty late, so you're going to have to give them some time. You can't expect an II after only 2 or 3 weeks.

That being said, you got this, and good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II! Scheduling it for second week of January.

Does anyone know how likely by now the Savannah class is full? I would really really like to be placed in Savannah.

Does anyone know how likely by now the Savannah class is full? I would really really like to be placed in Savannah.
I'm interviewing on December 5, so I'll ask for you and let you know if no one else has an answer by then!

Last edited:
Man, no reason to have made peace with it yet. You applied pretty late, so you're going to have to give them some time. You can't expect an II after only 2 or 3 weeks.

That being said, you got this, and good luck.

You're the best! You kept me positive and...II today. Probably for the last day of interviews, but some chance is always better than no chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Y
You're the best! You kept me positive and...II today. Probably for the last day of interviews, but some chance is always better than no chance.
Yay ! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking

Anybody know when the board is meeting next? I know they usually meet the third Wednesday of every month (Dec 20), but didn't know it it'd be moved up because of the holidays. Thanks!

Anybody know when the board is meeting next? I know they usually meet the third Wednesday of every month (Dec 20), but didn't know it it'd be moved up because of the holidays. Thanks!
I interviewed today and they told us if we were accepted this month, we would hear December 15.

Did you get a chance to ask if they still have spots open in Savannah today? Hope your interview went well!

My interview did go well! They have spots open on both campuses. They said usually most everyone gets to go where they select. I'm sure this holds true unless you're accepted super late off the waitlist or something.

Feel free to ask me any more questions you may have!

EDIT: Just thought to add that they're projecting to have a class size of 124, about evenly split between both campuses (around 62 spots per campus). I do not know how many are left, but again both campuses have spots open.

Last edited:
EDIT: Just thought to add that they're projecting to have a class size of 124, about evenly split between both campuses (around 62 spots per campus). I do not know how many are left, but again both campuses have spots open.

Good to know since I recently submitted my campus preference form and wasn't sure if either campus was full already.

Glad to hear your interview went well. Best of luck to you!

Good to know since I recently submitted my campus preference form and wasn't sure if either campus was full already.

Glad to hear your interview went well. Best of luck to you!
Thank you! I'm an underdog GPA/MCAT wise. They're not horrible, but not super great either med school wise. I honestly don't know how I got an interview, and now I'm slightly freaking out because my interviewer who was a committee member was super emotionless and I couldn't tell at all if he liked me, and I'm seeing people in this thread whose stats are much better than mine got rejected. But don't mind me, I struggle with anxiety so I freak out over every little thing lol. I always leave situations feeling super confident, then the more I think about it, the less I become. :(

Your committee member interview sounds very similar to my non-committee member interview- I totally walked out feeling like I bombed it. Try not to let it get to you too much.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you hear good news come Dec 15!

Your committee member interview sounds very similar to my non-committee member interview- I totally walked out feeling like I bombed it. Try not to let it get to you too much.

Thank you so much. :) I'm so glad I found SDN this application cycle. It's helped me so much and everyone's so nice and positive.

Seems to be a trend. I had a really hard time with my adcom member as well. They were very friendly and nice, but rarely ever responded to anything I would say, so it was more of a series of monologues with me rambling to fill space than a dialogue.

Seems to be a trend. I had a really hard time with my adcom member as well. They were very friendly and nice, but rarely ever responded to anything I would say, so it was more of a series of monologues with me rambling to fill space than a dialogue.

Aw man I’m not a person that responds well to that at all since I’m very conversational haha. I’ve got until the first week of January to prepare for my interview which is nice, and I have one Friday somewhere else which would be good practice! (If anyone has any interview tips/would like to let me know how their interview went, please PM me! )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is exactly how mine was. They didn't really show emotion lol

EDIT: removed identifying pronouns

Last edited: