2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no secondaries from either MN or AZ, submitted last week

Members don't see this ad.

Still no secondaries from either MN or AZ, submitted last week

I know the wait is terrible, but I wouldn't be too stressed about it. It's been a busy week at both campuses with orientation all last week and the first days of instruction this week. Try to enjoy the fresh air until the secondaries come piling in!

Reactions: 1 user
So I know students at MN campus can examine patients in the free clinic (under supervision) starting from year 2? (I think).

Does anyone know if a similar program exists here, and if so, what the name of the clinic is? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know students at MN campus can examine patients in the free clinic (under supervision) starting from year 2? (I think).

Does anyone know if a similar program exists here, and if so, what the name of the clinic is? Thanks!

MS1 here.

Yes, a similar program exists here. We will be working with the St. Vincent de Paul clinic starting second year.

Reactions: 3 users
Received secondary this morning. Added to my school list at the end of last week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

any advice on submitting the same secondary essays for AZ as MN secondary?

any advice on submitting the same secondary essays for AZ as MN secondary?

I wrote the same thing, but I haven't submitted yet and may just briefly mention my desire to work in the clinics (which are different at each). Otherwise I will be submitting nearly identical essays. I've heard they have completely different admission committees, so we should theoretically be fine writing the same. I would have gone into the weather differences in mine, but I spent a considerable part talking about my experience as a patient at Mayo (Florida), so I don't really have any extra space!

Received and submitted today! Did anyone else's status say that they haven't received Letters of Recommendation yet? Mayo MN had them the same time they sent the secondary so I'm curious if AZ is waiting to download from AMCAS or it's just a glitch...

Are there any opportunities for medical students to teach or mentor the undeserved? I can't find anything online. The service opportunities they show are very broad and nonspecific

Just realized I forgot Mayo gave a two week deadline. I got my secondarys june 13th, if i turn them in the next two days do I still have a chance? No idea how much that hurts...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just realized I forgot Mayo gave a two week deadline. I got my secondarys june 13th, if i turn them in the next two days do I still have a chance? No idea how much that hurts...

It's a "strong suggestion" - yours came in so soon you will still be early (I'm in the same boat...)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was worried too, but the woman in the admissions office said that it's mostly to encourage people to submit sooner rather than later. She said within 3 weeks is still fine, but that waiting closer to a month may be perceived as disinterest. So we should all still be good! :)

Reactions: 1 users
How does research work at Mayo AZ? I already applied for the MN campus and i wrote about specific research opportunity, but would it be okay to write about it in the AZ secondary too? i'm having trouble finding AZ-specific research opportunities

How does research work at Mayo AZ? I already applied for the MN campus and i wrote about specific research opportunity, but would it be okay to write about it in the AZ secondary too? i'm having trouble finding AZ-specific research opportunities

There are a TON of faculty at Mayo - AZ and ASU who are really thrilled to be working with Med students, so there are plenty of opportunities in the Phoenix Area. If there is something specific you wish to work on, and it isn't available in AZ, there are options for traveling to MN or FL to do your research.

I received the secondary a few weeks ago. Still working on it and just got my final LOR. I'm planning to upload a CV but does anyone know if they expect us to upload and research papers, etc?

Not sure if this was addressed in a previous post, but does Mayo prescreen for secondaries? I think I saw that in previous years they only sent secondaries to 20% of applicants? Is that still the case?

Not sure if this was addressed in a previous post, but does Mayo prescreen for secondaries? I think I saw that in previous years they only sent secondaries to 20% of applicants? Is that still the case?

Not anymore. They send secondaries out to everyone whose MCAT scores are above 75th percentile.

Not anymore. They send secondaries out to everyone whose MCAT scores are above 75th percentile.

I got a 507 but my actual percentile is the 74th, should I stop my hopes of getting a secondary? My app was verified 7/27, and I'm yet to receive one from either campus.

I got a 507 but my actual percentile is the 74th, should I stop my hopes of getting a secondary? My app was verified 7/27, and I'm yet to receive one from either campus.

I'm not sure what happens to people who don't meet their pre-set cutoffs... Maybe contact them and see if they would be willing to overlook the 1 percentile difference? Good luck!! :)

I wonder if they do a more holistic screen of those whose numbers don't meet that limit? I am sure there are a few people interested to know, so if you call, let us know what you hear.

I had two missed calls from the same private Phoenix number today.. they don't call for IIs, right?
Not sure, but check the phone number through google. I left a message with them and they returned my call once. I doubt they'll call from a hidden or unknown number, so you can probably verify

I had two missed calls from the same private Phoenix number today.. they don't call for IIs, right?
If they do, it would be unusual. Most schools email, only call to offer acceptances

Yeah, I figured it wasn't them, but it still gave me a little neurotic adrenaline rush! It's going to be a loooong year. But I've waited for this long year for a long time, and you have to admit, it is pretty exciting! I'll try not to read into any unknown area codes until at least October 15th. :D

How are you guys finding research specifically in Arizona? I keep on finding research that's in Minnesota and I can't really narrow it down.

I just submitted my secondary. Ready for review!

@thenucleusaccumbens I know you're at the Rochester campus but maybe you (or anyone who is reading this) may have some insight. Is the curriculum in Arizona the same as that in Minnesota? I know there is the REACH at Minnesota; is there such a clinic at the Arizona campus with which students are expected to help out too?

Thanks for any help! :)

@thenucleusaccumbens I know you're at the Rochester campus but maybe you (or anyone who is reading this) may have some insight. Is the curriculum in Arizona the same as that in Minnesota? I know there is the REACH at Minnesota; is there such a clinic at the Arizona campus with which students are expected to help out too?

Thanks for any help! :)

I already answered this on a previous page. The curriculum at the 2 campuses is exactly the same. There is no Mayo community clinic for the AZ students to work in, instead we will be working with the St. Vincent de Paul clinic in Phoenix in 2nd year, so we will receive a similar experience.

Considering they ask why you would attend Mayo even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools, would it be tacky to say that this is the only highly-ranked school I'm applying to? I decided to only apply to one "reach" school

I wouldn't. I think you're already shooting yourself in the foot by implying it's unlikely you'll get in. You gotta sell yourself! Try and focus on how you fit their mission statement and unique opportunities.

Can anyone tell me why Mayo -AZ doesnt appear on the MSAR? Does anyone know the number of applicants, GPA's etc .. from last year?

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone tell me why Mayo -AZ doesnt appear on the MSAR? Does anyone know the number of applicants, GPA's etc .. from last year?
It's a new campus and being treated as a new school. There's no data yet. This year is the first class. It should be similar to Mayo MN though.

It's a new campus and being treated as a new school. There's no data yet. This year is the first class. It should be similar to Mayo MN though.

Okay thanks! The most I could find was a local news article that said 3,000 people had applied in October! Lol!

MSAR this year is actually based on the class that entered in 2016, so Mayo AZ wasn't included. I'd think their stats would be close to Mayo MN, though.

MSAR this year is actually based on the class that entered in 2016, so Mayo AZ wasn't included. I'd think their stats would be close to Mayo MN, though.

Oh wow I have no idea why I didn't know that before! Thanks!

Why would their stats be similar? I can easily see someone giving up a penn acceptance for Mayo...but for the AZ campus where the hospital does not necessarily have the same access to a variety of physicians due to its small size?

Why would their stats be similar? I can easily see someone giving up a penn acceptance for Mayo...but for the AZ campus where the hospital does not necessarily have the same access to a variety of physicians due to its small size?
Current student here, the mean and median stats at the two campuses were the same.

Current student here, the mean and median stats at the two campuses were the same.

Thats very surprising to me. Although to be fair I only applied to MN and haven't submitted my AZ secondary yet. I should get working on that...

Because it's still Mayo Clinic. The hospital there is ranked # 1 in the state of Arizona and it isn't some small community hospital. I'm a Mayo med student at the Rochester campus and when I spent time at the AZ campus I met patients who traveled from all over to get care there (even John Mccain has said this is where he gets his care and he could go anywhere - https://www.mccain.senate.gov/publi...tement-from-the-office-of-senator-john-mccain). Furthermore, Mayo AZ students have opportunities to do selectives, research, 3rd and 4th year rotations at Mayo Clinic in Rochester if they want. All of the 3rd and 4th years I know choose to do some rotations at Mayo's hospitals in AZ and FL because each Mayo campus is unique and has a lot to offer. It also gives you the opportunity to work with different patient populations. Also, the curriculum is exactly the same and we have an awesome curriculum with unique selectives and what I think are valuable early clinical experiences. We have one of the highest average Step 1 scores in the country which I personally think our curriculum has a lot to do with.

Thats very surprising to me. Although to be fair I only applied to MN and haven't submitted my AZ secondary yet. I should get working on that...
Mayo is a national healthcare organization so even though MN and AZ have separate committees they share the same mission and values and are likely to attract similarly qualified applicants. Makes sense, right?

Mayo is a national healthcare organization so even though MN and AZ have separate committees they share the same mission and values and are likely to attract similarly qualified applicants. Makes sense, right?

Yes but if harvard set up a satellite campus in Tennessee, I would still not expect similar standards for admission given you are no longer at mgh, brigham etc.

Even if their medical center is "#1 in the state"

Yes but if harvard set up a satellite campus in Tennessee, I would still not expect similar standards for admission given you are no longer at mgh, brigham etc.

Even if their medical center is "#1 in the state"
But Mayo has had a hospital and research facility in Phoenix for a long time so your analogy isn't quite accurate.