2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aw heck an IS secondary... glory day! S/o @Sixsuit for the support ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else asking to not be considered for the 2+2? Could that hurt me in anyway?

I don't think it can hurt in any way. I'm hoping making it my first choice won't hurt me. I'm a patient at Mayo Jacksonville, so it has a special place in my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any info on the 2+2 program? Maybe I didn't look thoroughly enough, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation as to why it's competitive, what the advantages are, what the difference is in curriculum etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!
Also does mayo not have our rec letters received from AMCAS? My application is empty for my rec letters.

secondary received and submitted!

Taking a look at the "documents" tab, I noticed this:
"Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, photos, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.)"

Is anyone planning to upload any of these things? Is it expected or intended more for application updates later in the cycle?

secondary received and submitted!

Taking a look at the "documents" tab, I noticed this:
"Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, photos, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.)"

Is anyone planning to upload any of these things? Is it expected or intended more for application updates later in the cycle?

Ah, Didn't see that when I looked at the app yesterday. Hmmm. I might do my CV since it highlights some design projects. Not sure otherwise. Do they want an official picture?

Is anyone else asking to not be considered for the 2+2? Could that hurt me in anyway?

I don't think it'll harm you. Just means you'd like to stay in the same place for four years, nothing wrong with some stability in otherwise stressful time in your life.

@Nucleus Accumbens

I've actually wanted to write a "why Mayo" essay, so this is a great opportunity. Can I talk about my experience as a patient there and how I appreciate how they approach medical care?

Absolutely! I think that will be very meaningful. I have a couple of friends in my class who were patients at Mayo at one point and talked about their experiences during interviews.

3.44, 3.43 science. Although it seems less significant now that mayo isn't screening heavily like before.

We match :) I'm not sure they were screening out GPAs like that before, but who knows? And then someone said it was almost strictly based on MCAT this year? I feel like we're so close to the 10th percentile, but I'm reminded that only two students they accepted had GPAs below 3.5...

We match :) I'm not sure they were screening out GPAs like that before, but who knows? And then someone said it was almost strictly based on MCAT this year? I feel like we're so close to the 10th percentile, but I'm reminded that only two students they accepted had GPAs below 3.5...
Yeah...it's a real crapshoot but Mayo sounds so amazing I just have to apply :)

does anyone know definitively whether they accept AP credit for pre-reqs? MSAR shows Mayo-MN accepting AP credit but there's nothing on the website one way or the other. Thanks!

does anyone know definitively whether they accept AP credit for pre-reqs? MSAR shows Mayo-MN accepting AP credit but there's nothing on the website one way or the other. Thanks!

I asked a week ago. As long as it is on a transcript, they accept it.

@Nucleus Accumbens - Is The Science of Healthcare Delivery at just the Arizona campus or at both?

As I understand it, it's at both!

Thanks! I was writing about it for my "why mayo" and realized I should make sure it applies to the one I was writing about.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thanks! I was writing about it for my "why mayo" and realized I should make sure it applies to the one I was writing about.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I did the same! Mayo's SHCD component of their curriculum is another "selling point" for me. Such a great institution.

+1 for the question earlier about if it is appropriate to submit the same essay responses for the MN and AZ programs. Although I will probably change the AZ response to be geographically specific regarding opportunities.

Probably a poor decision with my stats, but I decided to throw my hat in the ring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Hoping for more than a request for LOR this year!

Reactions: 2 users
Probably a poor decision with my stats, but I decided to throw my hat in the ring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Hoping for more than a request for LOR this year!

You've already gotten 3 IIs? Where?? I haven't even gotten secondaries from several of my schools, including Mayo.. which is ok for now because I haven't finished the ones I have, but I'm hoping to see some Mayo love in my inbox soon.

You've already gotten 3 IIs? Where?? I haven't even gotten secondaries from several of my schools, including Mayo.. which is ok for now because I haven't finished the ones I have, but I'm hoping to see some Mayo love in my inbox soon.

WVU, VCU, and Georgetown. Those three are really quick on the trigger, though. Pretty much every other school will take until August/September for IIs.

And I'm in that same boat with my inbox filling up with secondaries lol Mayo can take its sweet, precious time

Are we going to be the first class at the AZ campus?

anyone know when AZ begins II? From last years thread there is no specific date people got them, just threads that it had been a very quick turnaround

1rwsoo.jpg

any day now..

Reactions: 4 users
If I haven't gotten a secondary yet, should I be worried? LizzyM 73
Starting to get worried :/

Last edited:
Still waiting on an AZ secondary...Received and submitted the MN already. Wonder if they're doing them in batches at AZ?

I know I sound dumb posting this, but I am gonna post it anyway for people who might be in the same boat.
There are actually two separate PRIMARIES for Mayo. One for MN and one for AZ.
For some reason, I thought there was one primary and two secondaries, so I was confused when I only received secondary from MN.
I emailed AZ campus and they were nice enough to let me know that my AMCAS did not list the AZ campus.
I would say check if you are like me.
RIP

Last edited:
I only applied to the AZ campus (husband grew up there and we have family all over the west), but still no secondary, and I've been verified for a long time. I don't think my stats would be below a cutoff (>3.5, >515) but who knows? If I don't get one by the end of the week I may call to double check.

I know I sound dumb posting this, but I am gonna post it anyway for people who might be in the same boat.
There are actually two separate PRIMARIES for Mayo. One for MN and one for AZ.
For some reason, I thought there was one primary and two secondaries, so I was confused when I only received secondary from MN.
I emailed AZ campus and they were nice enough to let me know that my AMCAS did not list AZ campus.
I would say check if you are like me.
RIP
I think AZ is only for MD applications right?

I only applied to the AZ campus (husband grew up there and we have family all over the west), but still no secondary, and I've been verified for a long time. I don't think my stats would be below a cutoff (>3.5, >515) but who knows? If I don't get one by the end of the week I may call to double check.
Email them. I was afraid to email because I didn't want to sound like a needy child, but I could not give up Mayo so I risked it. It paid off too!

I think AZ is only for MD applications right?
I don't know but I recall there was more than one option when I added the AZ campus to AMCAS today.