2017-2018 Louisiana State University - New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yah we got to get real close and personal with the cadavers on our interview tour. I don't expect to be holding a heart and lung on any other medical school interview that's for sure.

That's also pretty wild about the large number of people failing their first anatomy exam. You think its really just folks not realizing the amount of work they needed to put in?

edit: Also the admissions committee is meeting this Friday and said to expect letters to be received sometime next week.

Hi! Is the admissions committee meeting this Friday to discuss applicants who have already applied? Or are they sending out more interview invitations?

Members don't see this ad.

II at 10:25 this morning! Complete 8/23. I have called a couple of times already to schedule but it keeps going to voicemail. Anyone else having this issue?
Stats:
OS Reapplicant
Last 32 hours Masters GPA: 3.67
MCAT 506
No family in Louisiana, just lots of friends there
EC: TAing, Scribing, MA
Super excited! Interview Oct. 3rd
When did you get the status Under Active Consideration? just trying to figure it out my application coz right now my status is Under Active Consideration. Thanks

Last edited:
Yah we got to get real close and personal with the cadavers on our interview tour. I don't expect to be holding a heart and lung on any other medical school interview that's for sure.

That's also pretty wild about the large number of people failing their first anatomy exam. You think its really just folks not realizing the amount of work they needed to put in?
Hi! Is the admissions committee meeting this Friday to discuss applicants who have already applied? Or are they sending out more interview invitations?

Dr. Eubanks discussed it as a meeting where those who interviewed would be discussed and sent A, R, or NFA. I can't comment on whether they will also send out more IIs.

Members don't see this ad :)

edit: Also the admissions committee is meeting this Friday and said to expect letters to be received sometime next week.

I dig your username dude.

Reactions: 1 user
Avg. was 10pts above passing. It being our first "real" med school exam had more to do with it than anything. I know many people who simply got burned by poor study/organizational/personal habits. It's all part of the process for maturing as students. There is a large of network of student tutors by fellow L1s (And some L2s) that is set up after the first exam, it has been proven to help those who struggled initially.

Reactions: 1 users

Definitely agree with SouthernGent, that being our first wakeup call is definitely part of the reason. Still, I'm guilty of admitting this myself but many students have gotten away with getting good grades as premeds without needing to properly time manage and read the material weeks ahead of time. I myself can confess that back in college it only took an all-nighter and a couple half-nighters for me to easily prepare for an exam without ever looking at the material weeks in advance. Medical school doesn't work that way; while we can get away with procrastinating in college, the courseload is too dense in med school to put it off for greater than a couple days. Our powerpoints is about 100 slides long and that is only from one day of lecture so it only takes procrastinating two or three lectures for you to feel completely lagging behind the entire course. People who were used to do things last minute (*cough* me) learned quickly to adjust to the new medical school environment or else failure is inevitable.

Definitely agree with SouthernGent, that being our first wakeup call is definitely part of the reason. Still, I'm guilty of admitting this myself but many students have gotten away with getting good grades as premeds without needing to properly time manage and read the material weeks ahead of time. I myself can confess that back in college it only took an all-nighter and a couple half-nighters for me to easily prepare for an exam without ever looking at the material weeks in advance. Medical school doesn't work that way; while we can get away with procrastinating in college, the courseload is too dense in med school to put it off for greater than a couple days. Our powerpoints is about 100 slides long and that is only from one day of lecture so it only takes procrastinating two or three lectures for you to feel completely lagging behind the entire course. People who were used to do things last minute (*cough* me) learned quickly to adjust to the new medical school environment or else failure is inevitable.

Definitely not the easiest way to learn a lesson but probably the most impactful. Additionally, nowhere to go but up! Wishing you the best from another Tulane underdog.

When did you get the status Under Active Consideration? just trying to figure it out my application coz right now my status is Under Active Consideration. Thanks
I got my complete email on August 23rd and my interview invite on Sept. 13th. However they got my secondary July 18th.

I got my complete email on August 23rd and my interview invite on Sept. 13th. However they got my secondary July 18th.
Thanks a lot coz I'm trying to figure it out if I still have a chance to be invited for interview.

Thanks a lot coz I'm trying to figure it out if I still have a chance to be invited for interview.

Dude, I wasn't complete at this point last year, and I got in. You don't need to be worried right now.

thank you very much but I'm oos.
I had someone from OOS in my interview group. I don't know if he didn't get accepted or if he did but chose to go somewhere else, but he did get invited. Our interview was in January, and they don't schedule them too far out from the actual date. I think the time to really start worrying is after Thanksgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had someone from OOS in my interview group. I don't know if he didn't get accepted or if he did but chose to go somewhere else, but he did get invited. Our interview was in January, and they don't schedule them too far out from the actual date. I think the time to really start worrying is after Thanksgiving.
Thanks for all the info.... now I have more hope and courage.... thanks a lot again.

I feel like it doesn't get this bad if you attend class/listen to lecture. Then at least you've heard it once. We used to have 4-6 week blocks, so I'd do light studying for 2 weeks (ie. flip through the note sets; pick out the high yield slides and stick them in a slide deck; ~3 hrs/day) and then serious studying for 2 weeks (write down stuff to memorize x 1 week, memorize the stuff x 1 week; 7-8 hrs/weekday + weekends 12 hrs/day). It may be more difficult to do this with y'alls curriculum style.

Was hoping that some folks in New Orleans would start getting letters from last Friday's admissions meeting. Nothing for locals yet?

How many merit scholarships does LSU offer? Also what is the basis of merit? Is it purely GPA and MCAT, or do they assess students holistically?

Reactions: 2 users
Was hoping that some folks in New Orleans would start getting letters from last Friday's admissions meeting. Nothing for locals yet?
From my "research" of old threads and other people this cycle who received letters, it appears that most people in the Baton Rouge/NO areas receive letters on the Friday after the meeting

How many merit scholarships does LSU offer? Also what is the basis of merit? Is it purely GPA and MCAT, or do they assess students holistically?
I don't believe they have any merit scholarships, at least I couldn't find any info about that on their website. They didn't mention anything about scholarships in the interview.

I don't believe they have any merit scholarships, at least I couldn't find any info about that on their website. They didn't mention anything about scholarships in the interview.

They did mention merit scholarships in my interview, but they didn’t explain how those are determined. Eubanks said there aren’t many and that they are awarded as either full tuition or half tuition (I think) and that they are awarded around March (I think)

And that everyone who is accepted is automatically considered

They did mention merit scholarships in my interview, but they didn’t explain how those are determined. Eubanks said there aren’t many and that they are awarded as either full tuition or half tuition (I think) and that they are awarded around March (I think)

And that everyone who is accepted is automatically considered

That's good to hear!! Thank you

From my "research" of old threads and other people this cycle who received letters, it appears that most people in the Baton Rouge/NO areas receive letters on the Friday after the meeting

solid sleuthing @Plexorum

Does anyone know if there have been any more interviews given out recently? I’ve been under review since Aug 21 and haven’t heard any back yet...

Shout out to the ladies and gents that got their acceptance letters today!

II this morning at 11:15!
same II... Is it good to schedule the earliest like next week. submitted 9/29, second 10/19, completed 10/25 and II 11/7...I'm very happy and excited.

same II... Is it good to schedule the earliest like next week. submitted 9/29, second 10/19, completed 10/25 and II 11/7...I'm very happy and excited.
Do you mind me asking your stats?

I would advise you to schedule your interview the earliest date available. The earlier you interview the higher your chances in a rolling admission system.

I would advise you to schedule your interview the earliest date available. The earlier you interview the higher your chances in a rolling admission system.
Cannot emphasize this enough.

thanks a lot... the earliest schedule I got is first week of Dec. I'm super excited and nervous this is my first II coz I submitted very late..last week of Sept and also OOS.

sending **positive vibes** for those of us still holding out for an II! PM me if you want to discuss stats or vent about this process. Been around the block -- unfortunately -- a couple of times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II today! complete 8/3, in state, lizzy 64

Reactions: 1 users

I didn't end up scheduling my interview until 3 today (I had an exam at 1:30) and the earliest date they had was December 11 (which I couldn't make) so my interview is Dec. 12. Good luck, everybody!!!

I didn't end up scheduling my interview until 3 today (I had an exam at 1:30) and the earliest date they had was December 11 (which I couldn't make) so my interview is Dec. 12. Good luck, everybody!!!
have you gotten the confirmation email for the interview with instructions for the day? i haven't gotten it yet

have you gotten the confirmation email for the interview with instructions for the day? i haven't gotten it yet
Not yet too but as what they told me when I called they'll email me.

Not yet too but as what they told me when I called they'll email me.
THEY don’t Send until a few days after scheduling on the phone.

Good luck and CONGRATS to all those se w interview invites!! It’s an awesome day and will so sell you on this amazing school!

I AM IN! First Acceptance!! Saw the letter when I got home from work! Interviewed 10/24

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone get an interview with a high GPA and low MCAT?

Anyone get an interview with a high GPA and low MCAT?
Try sending in an update letter. I had a low MCAT last year, but I sent an update letter in February and a week later got in interview invite. I wish I had sent one earlier and might have gotten an early interview.

Just got confirmation email for my II.

I'm new to this forum/thread thing but i was wondering if anyone had suggestions about hotels. I'm oos and have no clue what's a good/bad place to stay. Sorry if this isn't the right space for this question, if so can u point me in the right direction?

I'm new to this forum/thread thing but i was wondering if anyone had suggestions about hotels. I'm oos and have no clue what's a good/bad place to stay. Sorry if this isn't the right space for this question, if so can u point me in the right direction?

Hotels in Metairie tend to be reasonable (as far as expense and relative safety), so long as you’ve got a vehicle. Stayed at the Extended Stay America right off Causeway Blvd myself. Give yourself about 30 minutes in case traffic is heavy but it was a super convenient location and simple drive in my experience

Ask the admissions office. They have recommendations/codes for certain hotels in the area for a possible discount.