2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who already interviewed, how long does the day last? Trying to figure what time to make my return flight.
IIRC my day ended around 5, but I also went on the longer tour.

Members don't see this ad.

So, just to clarify, BCM will not extend admissions offers to trad applicants until 11/1 at the earliest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they told us at our interview day that it would be end of October/ beginning of November. At the time that seemed fine, now that it's here I wish they had been a little more specific!

Reactions: 2 users
interview at BCM this weekend. Someone prepare me please

Reactions: 1 users
interview at BCM this weekend. Someone prepare me please

My first interviewer was pretty laid back. The second.... not so much. Make sure you know your application inside and out

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hahahaha I'm sorry that was mean of me :D

LOL on the real though, anyone wanna call and see when they're gonna release decisions

LOL on the real though, anyone wanna call and see when they're gonna release decisions
On my interview day Dr. Vallejo said that they would be calling around mid/late november. If I had to guess they will call around prematch to compete with UTSW

They must have lost my app in the hurricane. Only explanation.

Yes.

But if it means getting tuition cheaper than even my own public state school (at a baylor level school no less) I will gladly bust out my ten gallon hat and become fascinated by cattle.

Last edited:
Yes.

But if it means getting tuition cheaper than even my own public state school (at a baylor level school no less) I will gladly bust out my ten gallon hat and become fascinated by cattle.

I think you're looking for the El Paso thread

Reactions: 3 users
Yes.

Same here, Oos and silence since mid July.

Apparently last year the first person on the thread heard in late November? But apparently most people (especially IS people) hear back in late March (second batch).
I have many in-state friends who had known since November.

Right, but I’m saying most IS peeps will likely hear back in March.
I'm curious if that's still true. They've moved to 85/15 split and probably don't need to wait as long to render decisions since even more students than usual are likely to decide on Baylor during pre-match (if given the offer).

MS4 here: The first (small) wave of acceptances almost always come out mid-November.

If we are still in school, are we required to send updated transcripts after the semester?

is the baylor instate tuition really only $6,550 as it says on their prospective student page?
Prospective Students
Yep, with like 10,000 in fees on top of it

~~~~~

Actually, all medical schools charge a good amount of fees in addition to tuition. Be sure to study this closely to compare/contrast net all-in costs to all-in costs.

BCM bills itself as America's best PRIVATE medical school value. But we found that its all-in costs were considerably less (even several years ago-- matriculating in 2012) than our lone home state medical school MCG would have been in-state. FWIW, MCG's costs doubled in just a few years.

The guess here is that BCM WILL also offer you the best net value in terms of costs, ESPECIALLY when one compares "bang for the buck"...i.e., BCM is a leader nationally every year in average Step scores (# 1 in some years), which, in turn, leads to great residency matches. Ergo, "low" costs yield stunningly good results.

All-in costs at BCM, whether IS or OOS, are simply a pleasant and welcome surprise...even without a merit or need scholarship. I have lingered a bit/occasionally here since 2011...have not seen a reason offered about WHY BCM is such a good value. I think that this helps explain why the number of OOS applicants has soared in recent years.

The numbers say that it is simply a daunting task to get accepted OOS now (< 1% of OOS applicants will matriculate), and BCM seems to be taking fewer OOS in each class (down from 25% of each class, or about 45/class a few years ago).

But being among the select, fortunate few will mean a great medical education leading to becoming very fine physicians.

Last edited:
If we did not receive an interview invite yet, does it mean we should pretty much start loosing hope?...I'm assuming there is some movement after the pre-match right with students going to other schools?

Reactions: 3 users
If we did not receive an interview invite yet, does it mean we should pretty much start losing hope?...I'm assuming there is some movement after the pre-match, right, with students going to other schools?

~~~~~

Do NOT give up hope until early January...they might contact you with perhaps 3 weeks notice, and they SURELY still interview thru January...so keep the faith during the holidays! :luck: :xf: :)

And again, a later interview does NOT mean no shot at an offer, OR at scholarship money. I know someone well who interviewed on perhaps the last available date OOS, and she later got a 50% merit scholarship.
:thumbup:

And she is an Ortho resident now (only ~10% of Orthopods are female...the last bastion of male domination) at a very respected program after doing 93rd percentile on her Steps. BCM gets results...AND at a relative bargain! ;)

There are indeed indubitably positions opening up later, BUT that assumes that you DID interview.

WHen do decisions come out here?

So I’m getting the famed “error message” when I check my portal. Could it Be??

Is it saying this: "Your current application status is not supported by the Applicant Pre-Interview Portal." ?

So I’m getting the famed “error message” when I check my portal. Could it Be??
Mine says this when I go to the one they sent with the II, is that the one? Because my supplementary one just says that everything is complete and they'll communicate anything else via email. Does yours say this for both? Or just the confirmation link from the II?