2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what Baylor looks for in students who are invited to interview? I have a LizzyM slightly lower than Baylor's average LizzyM. My stats are slightly lower, but my ECs (research, leadership, volunteering, and shadowing) are stronger than some of my friends. However, they received interview invites, and I haven't yet. Just trying to understand what Baylor is looking for in students...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what Baylor looks for in students who are invited to interview? I have a LizzyM slightly lower than Baylor's average LizzyM. My stats are slightly lower, but my ECs (research, leadership, volunteering, and shadowing) are stronger than some of my friends. However, they received interview invites, and I haven't yet. Just trying to understand what Baylor is looking for in students...
in general stats are king for the time being right now unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know the format of the interview the website says the following: "Each applicant will have two, 30-minute interviews (with two faculty members or a faculty member and a student/resident/fellow member)."

are the interviews MMI style, closed/open book?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the format of the interview the website says the following: "Each applicant will have two, 30-minute interviews (with two faculty members or a faculty member and a student/resident/fellow member)."

are the interviews MMI style, closed/open book?
They're traditional, and I believe both of mine were open file though I'm only sure that one of them was.

Last edited:
II just now!!! OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
They emailed me. I interviewed there and loved it. Baylor is truly one of the greatest med schools in the country

They emailed me. I interviewed there and loved it. Baylor is truly one of the greatest med schools in the country

Mind me asking complete date, and scores?! Baylor is my dream school, got to tour the facility in 2013 and fell in love with everything. Just curious, because I'm also OOS but my MCAT is subpar compared to the rest of my app.
Regardless, congrats!!!! I'd lose my mind if I got an II there. Haha❤️

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete around 8/10. Got my II 1 week later. I am OS. 522/4.0 Don't worry about MCAT though. It's not an end all be all at Baylor. They were very interested in my ECs and the kind of person I was

II invite Sep 22nd for interviewing Oct 27
Primary received July 5th
Secondary Submitted August 1st
Letters of Recommendation received Sep 1st

Stats
In-state
GPA: 3.75 -- Physics -- Cornell University
MCAT: 516 (132/128/128/128)

Pretty sure I have a silent rejection because I submitted in August and Sept people are getting interviews already (I am OOS)

Reactions: 1 users
II invite Sep 22nd for interviewing Oct 27
Primary received July 5th
Secondary Submitted August 1st
Letters of Recommendation received Sep 1st

Stats
In-state
GPA: 3.75 -- Physics -- Cornell University
MCAT: 516 (132/128/128/128)

Too much revealing info

About OOS odds for interviewing and acceptance...
someone just above suggested that 23% of this past year's class was OOS. Generally, it has been close to 25% OOS of each class actually matriculating, say 45. BCM commits to a target of 75% IS matriculants apparently partly because Texas provides financial support to the private (school) BCM.

They are interviewing more period for the same size class, so odds of acceptance generally among interviewees (after one interviews) seem to have dropped from about 40% 5 years ago to perhaps 20% now.

I had calculated from BCM's data back in 2012 that among all OOS applicants there was a 1.1% chance of actually matriculating...but OOS applicants have soared more recently (over the past 5 years).

Pretty sure I have a silent rejection because I submitted in August and Sept people are getting interviews already (I am OOS)

No that is not the case! Most schools keep re reviewing apps. You could be invited to interview later. People who submit in June can
Interview in December and people who submit September can interview in October....as well as vice versa. No admissions committee will be transparent about how they do things, nor should they have to. We just have to be patient. I hope we all get some good news sooner or later.

Reactions: 4 users
No that is not the case! Most schools keep re reviewing apps. You could be invited to interview later. People who submit in June can interview in December, and people who submit September can interview in October...as well as vice versa. No admissions committee will be transparent about how they do things, nor should they have to. We just have to be patient. I hope we all get some good news sooner or later.

~~~~~

As a long-time vet here (since late 2011), I agree with biochemgirl. Intuitively, some seeming superstars (very high LM's and dazzling leadership EC's) get quicker turnarounds, but BCM interviews AND accepts on a rolling, very methodical basis. One recent BCM student noted: they are trying to assemble the very best class they can (based on a number of criteria).

Then again, some of those very high Lizzie M ilk come across as "dead from the xxx up" in an interview...think bedside manner, and, would I want this person to treat my Mom? Medicine is partly about communicating w/patients and colleagues.

And, at the risk of being redundant, do not worry about interviewing later, even late in the process...spots/places and scholarship $ remain available.

And when you show up for your first class, NOBODY (professors) knows if you got in at the last possible opportunity-- or the first.

Reactions: 2 users
re:
FAQs

Does Baylor College of Medicine give preference to Texas residents?
The class is composed of 85 percent Texas residents and 15 percent out-of-state residents. The Admissions Committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.

~~~~~

Wow...if that is a true policy change, then odds just got a fair amount longer OOS! (Many more applicants for well-fewer spots.) That could mean more like 25 OOS versus ~ 45 (25%) not long ago.

Does anyone know if its more convenient to get to Baylor from the Intercontinental Airport vs. Hobby Airport?? Thanks in advance!

Definitely Hobby (the original, older airport; very user-friendly; not so congested)...Bush is halfway to Dallas.

Good idea to ask to stay with a student host and pick her/his brain (get the inside scoop). Might want to try to split airport commute with fellow candidates.

Otherwise, there are many hotels near the University/Medical Center area.

Definitely Hobby (the original, older airport; very user-friendly; not so congested)...Bush is halfway to Dallas.

Good idea to ask to stay with a student host and pick her/his brain (get the inside scoop). Might want to try to split airport commute with fellow candidates.

Otherwise, there are many hotels near the University/Medical Center area.
Thanks for your insight, as well!

Does Baylor do silent rejections? I submitted my secondary early Sept. for MSTP, no status change or email yet. Does this indicate a rejection or it is still early to worry about? My LizzyM is 80+.

Does Baylor do silent rejections? I submitted my secondary early Sept. for MSTP, no status change or email yet. Does this indicate a rejection or it is still early to worry about? My LizzyM is 80+.

I think you will be fine. Given that you could have submitted the secondary starting in July, Baylor probably hasn't gotten to the ones submitted in September yet. And with your LizzyM, I can't imagine Baylor not extending you an II! Good luck!

My hopes for an II here are waning. I submitted my secondary the first week of July, but it was the first one I wrote. In hindsight, I probably could have written it better. I'm OOS, LizzyM of 71.

My hopes for an II here are waning. I submitted my secondary the first week of July, but it was the first one I wrote. In hindsight, I probably could have written it better. I'm OOS, LizzyM of 71.

not gonna lie pretty low stats for OOS

Reactions: 1 users
When do they start sending notifications of acceptance?

At Interview Day they said October, but from last year's thread it seems late November?

When do they start sending notifications of acceptance?

At Interview Day they said October, but from last year's thread it seems late November?

usually most tx schools extend offers to OOS oct 15; IS usually nov 15th (prematch day); baylor usually starts nov 15th too to compete with UTSW applicants i guess

usually most tx schools extend offers to OOS oct 15; IS usually nov 15th (prematch day); baylor usually starts nov 15th too to compete with UTSW applicants i guess

Baylor gives a select few (both IS and OOS) acceptances around October 15

re:
Has anyone been rejected from this school yet?

~~~~~

Not sure why, but BCM does not much send out formal rejections...you find out effectively due to benign neglect/silence.

Cannot affirm how soon acceptances might go out, but as noted earlier, the acceptance process is methodical and gradual, and there remain some spots until quite late (after May 1). An offer will be by phone, followed by a confirmatory email.

Just curious, where did you all find this information. When I interviewed, we were told late October or early November.
If you have access to the US news and world report database it lists the date of first acceptance offers in the school info. If not, try googling "admissions timeline SCHOOLNAME" and the school's website will generally say when they first start making admissions offers.