2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious, where did you all find this information. When I interviewed, we were told late October or early November.

When i interviewed, after they explained how the ranking worked (combo of your app scores and interview scores), they noted that the first day people can know is October 15, but they only send acceptances to the very top of the list around that day (they didn't specify a number..but from looking at previous threads..I've just been going with 10 in my head). She then remarked that people should not be dismayed if they don't hear back on that day because they would send acceptances to people at the tip of the list in the months that followed

Members don't see this ad.

When i interviewed, after they explained how the ranking worked (combo of your app scores and interview scores), they noted that the first day people can know is October 15, but they only send acceptances to the very top of the list around that day (they didn't specify a number..but from looking at previous threads..I've just been going with 10 in my head). She then remarked that people should not be dismayed if they don't hear back on that day because they would send acceptances to people at the tip of the list in the months that followed
Ok! That’s good news! October 15 is on a Sunday. Do you think that affects anything? Like would it be the following Monday or the Friday before that or what

Ok! That’s good news! October 15 is on a Sunday. Do you think that affects anything? Like would it be the following Monday or the Friday before that or what
It probably means they won't be accepting anyone at all this cycle :/

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

October 16th is the magical day this year, the day where dreams start to come true

I have a feeling the Oct. 15 date is mainly for OOS people.

Also on another note, did anyone get emailed about confirming TX residency?

Just curious, where did you all find this information. When I interviewed, we were told late October or early November.
From Baylor site under "Notification of Acceptance":
"Notification of acceptance to Baylor College of Medicine's first-year class, exclusive of "early decision applicants," can be made as early as Nov. 1. However, all positions are not filled until all interviews have been completed."

and some apply early decision, which is binding:
"Baylor College of Medicine offers an early decision program in accordance with guidelines established by the Association of American Medical Colleges. In this program, the applicant files an application only to Baylor College of Medicine; the completed application and all supporting documents must be received before Aug. 1 of the calendar year preceding proposed enrollment.

The program provides the advantage of an early decision by the school chosen as the applicant's first choice. Applicants are notified by Oct. 1 that they are accepted or that they remain under consideration for regular admissions (in which case the applicant should apply to other schools). Acceptance by a medical school of an applicant in the early decision program binds the applicant to enroll in that particular medical school.

Interviews for early decision applicants occur during August-September. Baylor fills no more than 10 percent of the positions in the incoming class by the early decision route. Early decision applicants are required to have a MCAT score of 34 or higher or with the new 2015 MCAT have a score of 517 or higher. GPA requirement is 3.8 or higher."

Reactions: 1 user
From Baylor site under "Notification of Acceptance":
"Notification of acceptance to Baylor College of Medicine's first-year class, exclusive of "early decision applicants," can be made as early as Nov. 1. However, all positions are not filled until all interviews have been completed."

and some apply early decision, which is binding:
"Baylor College of Medicine offers an early decision program in accordance with guidelines established by the Association of American Medical Colleges. In this program, the applicant files an application only to Baylor College of Medicine; the completed application and all supporting documents must be received before Aug. 1 of the calendar year preceding proposed enrollment.

The program provides the advantage of an early decision by the school chosen as the applicant's first choice. Applicants are notified by Oct. 1 that they are accepted or that they remain under consideration for regular admissions (in which case the applicant should apply to other schools). Acceptance by a medical school of an applicant in the early decision program binds the applicant to enroll in that particular medical school.

Interviews for early decision applicants occur during August-September. Baylor fills no more than 10 percent of the positions in the incoming class by the early decision route. Early decision applicants are required to have a MCAT score of 34 or higher or with the new 2015 MCAT have a score of 517 or higher. GPA requirement is 3.8 or higher."

I'd trust the dean of admissions over the website

True, as he is no doubt more up to date than the web site. Besides ED there are other special programs who may notify applicants in October.

Lol. I'm not even sure why we are spending so much time disagreeing on whether Baylor notifies from October 15 or November. Just SDN I guess. :)

Lol. I'm not even sure why we are spending so much time disagreeing on whether Baylor notifies from October 15 or November. Just SDN I guess. :)
I just don't want people to start feeling rejected, or even worse, calling the school if they don't hear anything by November 16th. Many people are accepted in the match in February without ever having a prematch offer, and I hate to see the extra angst these early dates can cause, for no reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't want people to start feeling rejected, or even worse, calling the school if they don't hear anything by November 16th. Many people are accepted in the match in February without ever having a prematch offer, and I hate to see the extra angst these early dates can cause, for no reason.

Wait. What prematch offer? This is Baylor, they are not part of TMDSAS so I think you might be conflicting the two different application processes. AMCAS schools start giving out acceptances Oct 15, while TMDSAS schools prematch Nov 15 onwards and match early next year

Wait. What prematch offer? This is Baylor, they are not part of TMDSAS so I think you might be conflicting the two different application processes. AMCAS schools start giving out acceptances Oct 15, while TMDSAS schools prematch Nov 15 onwards and match early next year
Talking about TMDSAS schools in general with the prematch comment. You and most other Texans apply to many of the TMDSAS schools. I am not confused.

Talking about TMDSAS schools in general with the prematch comment. You and most other Texans apply to many of the TMDSAS schools. I am not confused.
Off topic, but just realized you a verified physician... did you go to med school/residency in TX?

Also on another note, did anyone get emailed about confirming TX residency?

Wait is this something that everyone is supposed to get or just if there were some issues with the questionnaire?

I'm like paranoid about accidentally filling out the residency questionnaire wrong and being labeled as non-resident.

When did y'all interview??

Wait is this something that everyone is supposed to get or just if there were some issues with the questionnaire?

I'm like paranoid about accidentally filling out the residency questionnaire wrong and being labeled as non-resident.

When did y'all interview??
September. I got my residency thru non-trad means, so I figured that's why

Is Ben Taub Hospital the main teaching hospital for Baylor? People are saying it's a public/county hospital, but I can't seem to find that information online.

Is Ben Taub Hospital the main teaching hospital for Baylor? People are saying it's a public/county hospital, but I can't seem to find that information online.

It is a county hospital.

I was there for a summer surgery internship this past summer and there were baylor students at Taub, Texas Children’s, st. Luke’s and I believe the VA. Taub is a county hospital.

Baylor is associated with a number of hospitals. I’m pretty sure though that St. Luke is their primary hospital. Ben Taub is primarily a trauma/surgical hospital that Baylor is affiliated with and used to educate its students

Yes, Ben Taub is the main teaching hospital for our students. Schedules vary with student preferences but I spent about 50% of my time at Ben Taub, 20% at Texas Children's, 20% at the VA and 10% at St. Luke's. This is a nice diversity of practice environments. I think you'll find that few schools are able to offer this level of variety.

why is it so difficult to find the interview itinerary for Baylor. Can anyone guide me in the right direction

Can anyone who attended the Baylor interview speak to how the interviews were? Any advice and tips would be appreciated!

Can anyone who attended the Baylor interview speak to how the interviews were? Any advice and tips would be appreciated!
Two sessions, 25-30 minutes each. The usual, conversational style of most Texas interviews. Mine were both very relaxed.

Two sessions, 25-30 minutes each. The usual, conversational style of most Texas interviews. Mine were both very relaxed.
Yup! Totally agree! Mine were also very relaxed and overall it was actually a very fun day :)

Withdrew my app cause this okie just realized he can't picture himself in Texas—love u all, good luck!
Hook'em

(still bitter about UT's loss against both Big 12 Oklahoma teams, but best of luck to you the rest of this cycle)

Holy crap I just got an II and I’m shaking with excitement!!! OOS, complete mid aug

Reactions: 10 users
Are classes at Baylor from 8-12PM through the pre clinical years? Are there ever afternoon classes?

Are classes at Baylor from 8-12PM through the pre clinical years? Are there ever afternoon classes?
At the interview, they said that their preclinical Foundations/Organ-Based curriculum classes are conducted 8:00am-12:00pm. However, the IPS and PPS classes (small group case study and intro to clinical practice classes) are held in the afternoon for two days of the week.

Does anyone know if they accept updates? I couldn't find any info on where we can submit that