2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
Baylor Interview Feedback
Interviewed at Baylor? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

MD/PhD Secondary

Please describe your primary research interests for the PhD portion of dual degree training including potential Baylor college of Medicine or Rice University faculty with whom you would like to work. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection) Limit essay to 2000 characters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any current OOS med students care to chime in regarding what the committee is particularly looking for in OOS applicants? Does having TX ties give one an advantage?

Reactions: 1 user
Does someone with 520 or higher, 3.9+ gpa, slightly above average EC have a chance at BCM? I feel EC are my weak point :( I have the usual volunteering shadowing research, club leader stuff

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Does someone with 520 or higher, 3.9+ gpa, slightly above average EC have a chance at BCM? I feel EC are my weak point :( I have the usual volunteering shadowing research, club leader stuff

Last year Baylor's entering class had 23% Out-of-state students. Being a private school, its preponderance of Texas acceptances is somewhat less than the 90% the state subsidized schools have. Your stats are excellent, so the best next step is to explore the Baylor site and see what its mission statement is and how well you fit it. You can make it a priority to continue adding to your volunteer work during the coming year. Good luck!

I had the exact same dilemma and still got in. It's definitely possible :horns:

Their curriculum is amazing, they have the highest step 1 scores in the country (tied though) and it's in the middle of the Texas medical center. On top of that it's pretty affordable compared to other private schools.

Yup! You have more than a shot. My ECs were weak too.

Conversely, what if my MCAT score was mediocre (509) and GPA is average (3.90) but I was a well-rounded applicant with plenty of hours and experience in clinical service, community service to underserved populations, and research? Does Baylor care about that too or no?

Potentially silly question: in previous years, Baylor has had a pretty open "tell us more" question. I have a few updates/clarifications regarding my AMCAs primary, but would it be a better idea to use the space to talk about why Baylor is a good fit and send those updates in an email to the admissions office? Thanks!

Potentially silly question: in previous years, Baylor has had a pretty open "tell us more" question. I have a few updates/clarifications regarding my AMCAs primary, but would it be a better idea to use the space to talk about why Baylor is a good fit and send those updates in an email to the admissions office? Thanks!
I would like to know too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Should we treat the prompt as a diversity question, or about "Why Baylor"?

curious about this as well, i've heard that "why baylor" is an important question adcom wants us to answer, but the secondary prompt is crafted in a way that is more like the diversity essay than anything.

anyone have more insight on this? any current med students or those who have spoken w adcom? thanks :)

BIG thumbs up for BCM! :)

Bumping/updating my post from last year's thread as encouragement for the BCM OOSer's, and applicants generally...keep the faith for BCM!

First, for the BCM newbies, know that BCM in Houston has nothing to do with Baylor University in Waco (the Bears); they separated over 50 years ago.

A huge plus is that the Texas Medical Center (TMC) surrounds BCM-- the largest medical complex in the world.

Our daughter was OOS back in 2012. She had excellent credentials otherwise [high Summa from a top 10 public university, and many awards for accomplishments and leadership], although she had no formal premedical research, and modest shadowing.

BCM likes to note how many different undergrad majors they have in a class, so a distinctive major might well be a plus---> (earlier) "Our Admissions Committee actively seeks individuals with different educational backgrounds, as evidenced by the 32 different majors in this year's entering class."

About 25%, or about 45, of each class will be accepted OOS, and there is a drop dead date in early May for in-state acceptances, so OOS acceptances perhaps then (around mid-May) later become more likely.

If you get to interview, you have about a 40% chance of actually matriculating (maybe less now...they are interviewing more candidates than back 5 years ago). Back when, I calculated that an OOS applicant had a 1% chance of enrolling. It is even lower than that now as OOS apps have soared (perhaps due to my sales job on SDN! :)

You will likely interview with 1 student and 1 faculty member in a day-long, low-stress visit. Just maintain eye contact, seem engaged, know your application details, and have an intelligent question or 2. Follow with prompt thank-you emails that allude to something specific that you talked about, so they can better recall you among 6 candidates they talked to that day, who all ran together. You might be underwhelmed on interview day...BCM is nice/polite, but perhaps not solicitous.

As competitive entry goes (average GPA and average MCAT), BCM has been ranked as high as # 4 in America:

Top 10 Medical Schools

Our daughter LOVED it @ BCM. It was challenging to be sure, but there was good esprit de corps/team spirit. It is P/F during the preclinical first 18 months (BCM might have pioneered that shorter 18 versus 24 months for pre-clinical classes). The gunner factor might have mostly gone away after they went P/F during that preclinical period. The "learning blocks" are around 7 weeks long, followed by long weekend breaks. BCM has a nice system of upper class mentoring (PRN) to ease the transition into medical school:

Peer Resource Network

BCM proved to be a SUPER net value (least expensive private medical school in America), WAY LESS expensive even than our lone in-state public school, especially after buying a condo to establish Tx. residency so that she paid Texas resident tuition for years 2-4. (Odd perhaps that residency should matter, since BCM is a private school.) Taking the public bus/little train can make sense; parking expense is untenable around the TMC complex.

BCM typically has perhaps the highest average Step 1 scores among their acceptees among all schools, affirming the all-in value. Residency Match Day also tends to be rewarding and impressive.

Houston is livable and affordable if you can accept the humid heat. Hey, that's what A/C is for!
There is diverse, quality dining...and N'awlins (gawd's dining city) is just a 5-hour drive away!

We (as parents and a family) could not be more pleased all things considered that BCM came thru for us. Keep the faith!

Oh, every year candidates groan about the protracted, methodical acceptance process at BCM...but the wait will be worth it!

I hope that this summary info is helpful. Keep your chins up during the long process.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
curious about this as well, i've heard that "why baylor" is an important question adcom wants us to answer, but the secondary prompt is crafted in a way that is more like the diversity essay than anything.

anyone have more insight on this? any current med students or those who have spoken w adcom? thanks :)
MS0 at BCM here :)
I used the ideas of my TMDSAS diversity essay for the BCM secondary app. I'm assuming it's still pretty similar to what we had last year. They asked me "Why Baylor?" in my interview, though, so you definitely need a good answer!

Also to answer the previous question about GPA/MCAT importance vs well-roundedness, I have a strong GPA and MCAT and relatively weak medically-related ECs. I basically did a lot of sports instead of shadowing. I was told by my school's medical school admissions advisors that I might not get in to medical school last cycle because of my lack of shadowing...then I talked about my sports experience during my interviews and got in to all Texas schools but Dell so...bottom line: put your best foot forward! Now is not the time to put limits on yourself based on what other people think. Now is the time to look closely at schools and see which align for your outlook on medicine and lifestyle.

Reactions: 2 users
So I got a little ahead of myself and without even getting an email from BCM yet about having received my AMCAS primary, I went and submitted my secondary today since it became available only July 1. Anyone do the same?

So I got a little ahead of myself and without even getting an email from BCM yet about having received my AMCAS primary, I went and submitted my secondary today since it became available only July 1. Anyone do the same?
Submitted yesterday :)

Where can we find the secondary? And does Baylor filter or does everyone receive secondaries?

Does anyone know if

I just filled and submitted mine but when I go to "status check," it says my AAMC number is not in the system. Do you have the same issue??
On the linked page it says "You will be able to check your file completion/status upon our receipt of your verified AMCAS application and supplemental application." So they probably just haven't gotten everyone's AMCAS entered into their own system yet since apps were only transmitted yesterday.

On the linked page it says "You will be able to check your file completion/status upon our receipt of your verified AMCAS application and supplemental application." So they probably just haven't gotten everyone's AMCAS entered into their own system yet since apps were only transmitted yesterday.
Good to know- thank you @bootsandspooky!! Lastly, do you happen to know if non-TX residents have a shot at getting in? I've heard that Baylor takes 85% of the class from those who reside in TX.

Good to know- thank you @bootsandspooky!! Lastly, do you happen to know if non-TX residents have a shot at getting in? I've heard that Baylor takes 85% of the class from those who reside in TX.
Last year it was 77% in- state accepted so they are definitely open to OOS

Last year it was 77% in- state accepted so they are definitely open to OOS
Are you aware of what they're looking for in OOS applicants? Other than higher average stats, do they appreciate ties to TX, etc.?

Are you aware of what they're looking for in OOS applicants? Other than higher average stats, do they appreciate ties to TX, etc.?
As far as I know no Texas ties are needed. Best place to look for other things they want in applicants, if you haven't checked it yet, is to read the mission statement on their web page. They also run a pretty active Facebook page so you can see what initiatives and research they do there and it will give you some things to talk about or ask about at an interview.

As far as I know no Texas ties are needed. Best place to look for other things they want in applicants, if you haven't checked it yet, is to read the mission statement on their web page. They also run a pretty active Facebook page so you can see what initiatives and research they do there and it will give you some things to talk about or ask about at an interview.

~~~~~~

Actually, Texas ties are NOT necessary.for OOS admission. It tends to run right at 25% of each class that matriculates from OOS. This is well better than your typical public school, which in some states admit virtually nobody from OOS, except sometimes MD/PhD candidates. And again, for value, one cannot beat BCM as a private school-- REALLY as a medical school period. BCM DOES have some nice merit scholarship money available. It is arguably the best net medical school value in America (low cost vis-a-vis measurable quality and results).

Hi all! I wrote my secondary essay for Baylor about my engineering internships. I did two and I do have less clinical experience because of them. I linked the values I gained from them to medicine. Will this make me look cocky (I'm too good and don't need clinical experience) or diverse? I could also write about some cultural diversity and my study abroad/language minor but I wanted to see if y'all know if writing about my internships (which was a big part of my life) would make me look too unfocused on medicine.

Hi all! I wrote my secondary essay for Baylor about my engineering internships. I did two and I do have less clinical experience because of them. I linked the values I gained from them to medicine. Will this make me look cocky (I'm too good and don't need clinical experience) or diverse? I could also write about some cultural diversity and my study abroad/language minor but I wanted to see if y'all know if writing about my internships (which was a big part of my life) would make me look too unfocused on medicine.

I am using my engineering job for diversity too - I did what you did and showed how I learned lessons that could be applied to medicine. Based on what I've seen, people write about all sorts of things for this essay. Everyone applying is interested in medicine, so this is your chance to show what makes you different. I don't think it makes you sound cocky at all, as long as you don't write it with an elitist tone (which it doesn't sound like you would do). Best of luck to you!

Does anyone else have trouble trying to view their application status? Mine says BCM may not have received my AMCAS app, but AMCAS says that it was made available to the schools I'm applying to in early June.

Does anyone else have trouble trying to view their application status? Mine says BCM may not have received my AMCAS app, but AMCAS says that it was made available to the schools I'm applying to in early June.
Mine says the same thing. Did you receive a secondary from Baylor or did you go directly to Baylor's website to submit secondary prior to receiving it?

Mine says the same thing. Did you receive a secondary from Baylor or did you go directly to Baylor's website to submit secondary prior to receiving it?
I just went straight there

I just went straight there
I did the same. With the holiday inbetween, I think there might be some delay in processing our primary app. Hopefully, things will get moving soon and our status will be updated.

I did the same. With the holiday inbetween, I think there might be some delay in processing our primary app. Hopefully, things will get moving soon and our status will be updated.
Cool, glad to see I'm not the only one. Thanks!

Do all of our letters of recommendation have to be submitted prior to Baylor reviewing our application? I have 3 out of 4 submitted.

Just received an email that they received my AMCAS primary along with a link to the secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone post the secondary essays? I am waiting to submit my primary until I receive my MCAT score so I have not gotten them but want to prewrite.

@gyngyn
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone having trouble submitting this secondary? At first when I hit the "submit and pay" button it redirected me to an error message. I logged out and logged back in, and it said that they received my secondary but not my application fee. Then when I clicked the button to pay the fee I got the same error message. Same problem if I change browsers. Anyone else having that problem?

Is anyone having trouble submitting this secondary? At first when I hit the "submit and pay" button it redirected me to an error message. I logged out and logged back in, and it said that they received my secondary but not my application fee. Then when I clicked the button to pay the fee I got the same error message. Same problem if I change browsers. Anyone else having that problem?

I just did the same today and received the exact same issue when it came to logging back in and seeing that "received application" but no payment received. I went ahead and emailed admissions with a picture of the error, and I'll let you know what I hear back!

im also struggling with what is appropriate for this "tell me more" essay- has anyone determined if AMCAS updates are appropriate or we need to stick with a more "why baylor?" approach?

@biogeek1298 Looks like the problem was resolved. I just tried submitting my payment and it worked

Anyone still having the payment error? Tried today at different times/with different browsers and it still isn't working.

So you got the secondary MSTP right after you submitted your AMCAS? Can you share the MSTP questions? Thanks

No. I submitted my AMCAS on June 2. AMCAS sent my application to Baylor on June 30. I got secondary from Baylor on July 1.
Essay prompts:

Please describe your primary research interests for the PhD portion of dual degree training including potential Baylor college of Medicine or Rice University faculty with whom you would like to work. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection) Limit essay to 2000 characters.

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. 2000 character limit

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. 2000 character limit
Thanks so much!