2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II last week. Complete 7/21. 4.0/519 OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if the admissions people sent any updates but the BCM campus did not suffer any damages from flooding and is re-opening tomorrow. Ben Taub, our main hospital, had some leakages in the basement that contaminated the food supply. Patients were sent to other hospitals purely because of the food shortage this created. This was a major disaster for the city but fortunately, Baylor was spared from the worst of it.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where we can find more information about Baylor? The website seemed pretty generic in terms of information.

Does anyone know where we can find more information about Baylor? The website seemed pretty generic in terms of information.
I used the MSAR, that was really helpful for getting information.

Reactions: 1 user
Website is terrible. Scoured everything for hours. Honestly, your best bet is talking to students directly if you can find a way to connect with Houstonians

If y'all can't find what you were looking for on the website, I'm a current MS1 (and I think there's another one in this thread too) that can answer whatever questions you may have :thumbup:

Hiya there, should we still assume that the upcoming interview dates are still as scheduled?
I believe that to be an accurate assumption. We're continuing class on Tuesday and we got our email confirming if we can host for this next week.

Business is usual at BCM so I would guess that all interview invitations stand. Contact admissions if you have any logistics questions like that, they're super helpful

if i dont get accepted, I'ma become an astronaut

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any baylorites care to share their experience today?
(Assuming you mean baylorites=interviewees) Baylor was definitely my favorite interview. The interviewers were nice, asked standard questions, and were easy to talk to. The students were really helpful and willing to answer any questions, and the overall environment seemed very supportive and inspiring. It'll be tough for other schools to knock Baylor off the #1 spot on my list. Now I just gotta get accepted lol

Reactions: 7 users
chill af although alot of interviewees (i guess cause they rescheduled 09/01?)

For those interviewing this friday (9/15) i am flying into Houston international airport and arrive at 3:50PM. If anyone would like to cut costs and drive to the campus area together let me know via a Personal message so we can coordinate and save some money! thanks in advance!

How did y'all send thank you notes.. If you did

How did y'all send thank you notes.. If you did

I sent my thank you notes by email to the email address they gave us in our packets. The note said that they would forward all thank you notes to the respective interviewers, so it seemed as if that was their preferred method.

Did you write it out in the body of the email..or attach like a PDF. Cos I sent one of my thank you notes directly to the interviewer as they gave me their email, but not sure how to reach the other.

Did you write it out in the body of the email..or attach like a PDF. Cos I sent one of my thank you notes directly to the interviewer as they gave me their email, but not sure how to reach the other.

I wrote it out in the body of the email and assumed that they would just forward my email to the interviewer. I can't imagine the choice between PDF or body of the email would impact your status in any way, so do whichever you prefer I guess.

Just received an II by email! Honestly shocked, I wasn't expecting to hear from Baylor. IS, LM ~72.

Edit: My GPA is 3.6, so there is hope to us lower GPA types!

Reactions: 8 users
Just received an II by email! Honestly shocked, I wasn't expecting to hear from Baylor. IS, LM ~72.

I'm gonna ask before someone else does but URM? Not trying to diminish your II, just realized lots of folks wonder that when they see low GPA II -_-

Also received an II today! Complete 8/1.

Hi SDNers, I just wanted to repost this from our MS1s' Facebook page. A 4th year posted this on the first years' page because they have their first round of exams coming up next week. I thought I would share it with you all as a reminder of how carefully we select interviewees and eventual students! I truly believe people end up where they are supposed to be through this horribly painful process, so just hang in there!

"Hey everyone! I know all of you have amazing PRN leaders and the BEST Dr. Goodman emails of encouragement, but I just wanted to add my thoughts. I've been fortunate to interview some med school applicants over the past few weeks. It has been a highlight of my week to talk to highly motivated, eager and amazing individuals who hope to be accepted to medical school. Honestly, after some interviews, I'm like, "How did I get into BCM?"

One of the coolest things about being a part of the admissions process is getting a glimpse at how seriously the admissions committee treats the whole thing. And I just wanted to say that EVERY SINGLE ONE of y'all were hand-picked to be here. I know you hear that a lot. But as you earnestly study, review, stress eat and convince yourself to get some sleep over the next few days, I hope you'll remember that you are supposed to be here and it wasn't a fluke! So just keep swimming...and I'll leave the rest of the advice-giving to those who are much more qualified than I. You got this!

PS: Don't ever hesitate to reach out to upperclassmen or peers when you need to. We all want to help."

Reactions: 4 users
re:
nomadpremed said:

~~~~~~

Just a side observation/food for thought about GPA's...a reason colleges and graduate schools insist on standardized tests (like the MCAT) is that ALL APPLICANTS are taking the same test...they become a litmus test, level-playing-field assessment. It is unfair when a GPA from a very competitive school is stacked against another from a less-competitive entry school, or even more important, a less-competitive-grading school. In Texas terms, a 3.6 from RICE simply says more than a 3.6 from various other colleges in Texas. Most of those attending other colleges could not even have gained admission to RICE.

An example...Georgia Tech has ALWAYS graded very rigorously. This is evidenced by their threshold for graduating Summa Cum Laude, which is just 3.55. Arguably, in grading so hard, they place their graduating students at a competitive disadvantage versus most schools where "grade inflation" is rampant/the norm.

It has become PC recently to question the predictive value of standardized tests, but they DO predict academic success better than GPA's. Standardized tests are, at a minimum, a necessary evil.

Some will say that "the MCAT penalizes those who are not good standardized test takers." Slow readers, for example, might not be slow thinkers, or have lesser aptitudes. This is ineluctably true. But one conclusion is that you cannot fake a high score...in other words, you cannot make a 522 by "getting lucky" or just "being a good test taker."

A better attack on the MCAT might be that it does not correlate well with later results on the Step 1, etc.-- only about 30%. If the MCAT seems like quite a lot riding on a generally one-shot event, consider the Step 1...it becomes pretty much make or break for the most competitive specialties (think derm, ortho, ENT, plastics, neurosurgery, e.g.).

Reactions: 5 users
a resurrected prior year advice post from a dad of a 2016 BCM grad who smoked her steps (93rd percentile) and landed a prestigious ortho residency...

So y'all will know...you will likely have 2 interviews: 1 with a student, and 1 with a faculty member...could be 2 faculty members. The student interview might even seem more daunting/probing, but generally the interview process is user-friendly @ BCM. It can be a long day...be prepared to walk.

re (one actual BCM interview):
Interviews obviously go according to the interviewer. My two people asked typical questions of why medicine, strengths and weaknesses, tell me about yourself, etc. Not too many weird questions out of the blue. They were nice, so I felt good about them. I think that's the general consensus among us interviewees. Just make sure to smile and be polite!
clear.png

~~~~~

Good stuff above, folks.
I have never heard complaints (over several application cycles here-- since 2012) about daunting/intimidating interviews at BCM...pretty user-friendly as such things go.

And, thank gawd, none of that weird group interview junk that some schools do (Emory, e.g., has done the group, cattle call thing) where one self-absorbed idiot dominates the conversation or gets off on pointless tangents.

You will now have about a 20% chance (they are interviewing more candidates) of an offer later (a bit better percentage chance IS versus OOS), so this IS important. You want to sell yourself with a calm, warm/pleasant self confidence, but no cockiness...they want people they could envision treating/caring for their mothers. Interviewing is a learned skill which might not be intuitive to you (see below).

Some essentials about any interview, for whatever goal, anywhere, anytime--

No matter where you interview (for jobs, volunteer work, medical schools, residencies, whatever) the same factors hold true----> be on time...let your interviewer sit down first...smile and try to maintain apropos eye contact

Dress appropriately (skip the black suits, guys!-- the undertaker look)...better medium to dark gray, or medium to dark blue; black/cordovan belt and shined shoes. No facial hair or long hair. You can later grow the beard if you go into Psyche! ;~)

Girls, a conservative suit (navy, gray or black), or nice blouse and skirt. Wear flesh-color hose and flats or short pump. Moderate makeup and simple jewelry. Being cute/comely helps-- trust me! Every interviewing test proves this! (Sorry PC-obsessed!)

Smile and be positive, but not importunate/overeager.

ALWAYS MAINTAIN APROPOS EYE CONTACT!

Have an intelligent couple of questions to ask. Thank them for their time. Ideally, get their e-mail and send a quick thank you and affirmation of interest which mentions something they are likely to remember talking about with you. (There might not be time for this with your medical school interviews: some schools have them complete their candidate summary forms before they could see your email, but it cannot hurt.)

They will likely interview 6 candidates that day-- trust me, you will run together in their memory. It is better to be first, or last, among the candidates they interview in a train of 6 candidates. Everybody who interviews is qualified to be there...can YOU make a distinctive impression?

Have something to note about why you like the BCM program: class diversity and competitive entry quality (always top handful among Lizzy M averages of acceptees), the 18-month preclinical period (versus 24 month); the renowned and engaged faculty; the proven results/success (often nation-leading average step scores and impressive match lists); perhaps the PRN (Peer Resource Network) program:

Peer Resource Network

Don't mention any imagined shortcoming you have-- you are already at the interview!

Chew some peppermint gum (before only)...no cologne/perfume. Hit the rest room just before...dry your palms...check your wind-blown hair.

~~~~~

This is quite good generally about interviewing...substitute "study BCM" for "study the company":

10 Killer Interview Tactics You Ought to Know

What kind of eye contact are you making with me?
This is so important, and yet for many candidates, difficult. Look me in the eyes when you speak – and also when I ask you a question. If your eyes are darting around the room, you may look bored or uneasy in your own answers. Again, as with the smile, you don’t want to overdo it and create a staring contest, but easy eye contact during the conversational exchanges can help create that connection.

Just as eye contact speaks volumes about you, so does your body language. Proper body language conveys confidence and high self-esteem. During the interview, things like sitting up straight with your chest out and keeping a pleasant demeanor on your face will project confidence. The interviewer will be aware of this, and it will help you stand out in his/her mind.

Reactions: 4 users
^^^Along those lines, check out the TED Talk on "Power Posing" by Amy Cuddy.

I actually met one of my current classmates because we were both power posing in the Baylor bathrooms before our interviews... :highfive:

Congrats on your II! What does are available?
FYI, they seem to only interview on Fridays and at least for me, they assigned a date so I had no idea what other days they were interviewing. Post-interview they sent a survey which has a list of all their interview dates this season:
August 25, 2017
September 8, 2017
September 15, 2017
September 22, 2017
September 29, 2017
October 13, 2017
October 20, 2017
October 27, 2017
November 3, 2017
November 10, 2017
December 1, 2017
January 5, 2018
January 26, 2018
February 2, 2018

Reactions: 2 users
FYI, they seem to only interview on Fridays and at least for me, they assigned a date so I had no idea what other days they were interviewing. Post-interview they sent a survey which has a list of all their interview dates this season:
August 25, 2017
September 8, 2017
September 15, 2017
September 22, 2017
September 29, 2017
October 13, 2017
October 20, 2017
October 27, 2017
November 3, 2017
November 10, 2017
December 1, 2017
January 5, 2018
January 26, 2018
February 2, 2018

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it!

(pardon the "home team cheering" for BCM! :)

a word of encouragement about timing of interviews vis-a-vis your prospects at BCM...

Our daughter had been complete a bit late back in 2012...she got her OOS interview for the very last date back then, toward the end of February. She then got accepted in early May off of BCM's WL. She immediately gave back her prior acceptance to home-state MCG, and called Emory and a couple of others to drop her name from their WL's. BCM also offered her a 50% merit scholarship...she would have readily accepted without the scholarship. (She had earlier respectfully declined an acceptance to Vermont/UVM, partly because it was so expensive to go there...even with a scholarship, it would have still been very expensive).

Looking back, it was her most important acceptance anywhere. She would go on to score 93rd percentile on both Steps 1 and 2. After she decided a tad late (after a late optional rotation) on Ortho [having passed on initial first choice derm (too monotonous), and passed on optho (too one-organ focused), plastics (too much vanity surgery), and ENT (real world practice is a lot of tonsils and ear tubes)], she landed many of the Ortho interviews she sought (several top 20 programs), even though Ortho has been the last bastion of male-dominated specialties (maybe just 10% females). She then got her first choice in the VERY SELECTIVE Ortho match. BCM was a grind to be sure, but the atmosphere was collegial and supportive...the great faculty really cares.

Some overview points here:
1) do not fear interviewing late at BCM vis-a-vis your chances of acceptance

2) they have scholarship $ available late

3) BCM is an EXCEPTIONAL cost value even relative to home state/in-state costs, and with or without a scholarship...it might be less expensive than your IS schools straight-up (w/o a scholarship)...ALL schools charge fees in addition to tuition, so don't let BCM's fees spook you

4) BCM can position you to smoke the Steps and track toward top residency interviews and matches/placements

5) Be sure to focus on NET costs...some schools are quick to note how many get scholarships, or what % of costs is covered by same, but if the face tuition and fees are very high, you might pay quite a lot more net than to go to BCM (even OOS).

6) the PRM thing is a nice plus to help you adjust to medical school-- https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/student-affairs/class- of-2021/peer-resource-network

7) the 18-month pre-clinical period (which might have originated at BCM) has proven to work well...it gets you into the hospitals sooner seeing patients, which is what medicine is really all about. Many find that 1 1/2 years of formal classes is generous plenty.

8) Notwithstanding the recent rare flooding from the hurricane, and the usual sticky heat, as a practical matter Houston is a far better place than many locations to attend medical school. COL is moderate to low, and you can live a 15-minute bus ride away...just $1.20 a day for student fares. In your rare free/down time, there are excellent dining and cultural activities/sports.

To summarize, after establishing Texas residency (buy R.E. before you matriculate...or you could marry a Texas resident! :), and net of the 50% scholarship, BCM was WELL LESS EXPENSIVE than going IS to MCG might have been. BCM boasts (rightfully) that they are the best private medical school value in America-- but they are being TOO MODEST! BCM is the best medical school value PERIOD, especially when you factor in your bang for the buck-- results (Step scores and residency matches) vis-a-vis net costs.

BCM has been near the top every year in average Step scores (# 1 various times)...and match lists look pretty darn strong. This follows BCM being ranked # 4 in Lizzy M scores for their acceptees (behind only Washington U., Hopkins, and Harvard) in a recent year aggregation assessment

Last edited:
(pardon the "home team cheering" for BCM! :)

a word of encouragement about timing of interviews vis-a-vis your prospects at BCM...

Our daughter had been complete a bit late back in 2012...she got her OOS interview for the very last date back then, toward the end of February. She then got accepted in early May off of BCM's WL. She immediately gave back her prior acceptance to home-state MCG, and called Emory and a couple of others to drop her name from their WL's. BCM also offered her a 50% merit scholarship...she would have readily accepted without the scholarship. (She had earlier respectfully declined an acceptance to Vermont/UVM, partly because it was so expensive to go there...even with a scholarship, it would have still been very expensive).

Looking back, it was her most important acceptance anywhere. She would go on to score 93rd percentile on both Steps 1 and 2. After she decided a tad late (after a late optional rotation) on Ortho [having passed on initial first choice derm (too monotonous), and passed on optho (too one-organ focused), plastics (too much vanity surgery), and ENT (real world practice is a lot of tonsils and ear tubes)], she landed many of the Ortho interviews she sought (several top 20 programs), even though Ortho has been the last bastion of male-dominated specialties (maybe just 10% females). She then got her first choice in the VERY SELECTIVE Ortho match. BCM was a grind to be sure, but the atmosphere was collegial and supportive...the great faculty really cares.

Some overview points here:
1) do not fear interviewing late at BCM vis-a-vis your chances of acceptance

2) they have scholarship $ available late

3) BCM is an EXCEPTIONAL cost value even relative to home state/in-state costs, and with or without a scholarship...it might be less expensive than your IS schools straight-up (w/o a scholarship)...ALL schools charge fees in addition to tuition, so don't let BCM's fees spook you

4) BCM can position you to smoke the Steps and track toward top residency interviews and placements

5) Be sure to focus on NET costs...some schools are quick to note how many get scholarships, but if the face tuition and fees are very high, you might pay quite a lot more net than to go to BCM (even OOS).

6) the PRM thing is a nice plus to help you adjust to medical school-- https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/student-affairs/class- of-2021/peer-resource-network

7) the 18-month pre-clinical period (which might have originated at BCM) has proven to work well...it gets you into the hospitals sooner seeing patients, which is what medicine is really all about.

8) Notwithstanding the recent rare flooding from the hurricane, and the usual sticky heat, as a practical matter Houston is a far better place than many locations to attend medical school. COL is moderate to low, and you can live a 15-minute bus ride away...just $1.20 a day for student fares. In your rare free/down time, there are excellent dining and cultural activities/sports.

To summarize, after establishing Texas residency (buy R.E. before you matriculate...or you could marry a Texas resident! :), and net of the 50% scholarship, BCM was WELL LESS EXPENSIVE than going IS to MCG might have been. BCM boasts (rightfully) that they are the best private medical school value in America-- but they are being TOO MODEST! BCM is the best medical school value PERIOD, especially when you factor in your bang for the buck-- results (Step scores and residency matches) vis-a-vis net costs.

BCM has been near the top every year in average Step scores (# 1 various times)...and match lists look pretty darn strong. This follows BCM being ranked # 4 in Lizzy M scores for their acceptees (behind only Washington U., Hopkins, and Harvard) in a recent year aggregation assessment

Thank you very much for all of the details and information your provided! really appreciate it. Best of luck and big congratulations to your brilliant daughter! :)

How long do applications take to be reviewed? I submitted back on 7/14 and have heard nothing. I am OOS

How long do applications take to be reviewed? I submitted back on 7/14 and have heard nothing. I am OOS[/QUOTE

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer that. Schools don't necessarily reveal much except that they constantly review and re-review apps. You submitted very early so that's a very good thing. Some ppl hear back a week after they submit and some ppl hear back months after. There's no set time period