2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're not required to do housing right? My parents live fairly close by

Members don't see this ad.

We're not required to do housing right? My parents live fairly close by
There isn't any BCM "student housing," although we do tend to congregate in the same few condos just south of the medical center. Many native Houston students live at home for part/all of medical school!

UTH has student housing, but it's a wonderful magical thing (cheap, close to med center) in short supply and high demand so only a handful of their students live there.

There isn't any BCM "student housing," although we do tend to congregate in the same few condos just south of the medical center. Many native Houston students live at home for part/all of medical school!

UTH has student housing, but it's a wonderful magical thing (cheap, close to med center) in short supply and high demand so only a handful of their students live there.

oh haha i meant for the interview student housing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Me and my friend both got IIs at Baylor today at different times.. we both have LizzyM north of 75. One URM, one ORM

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been waiting on an answer from the Baylor admissions office with no luck, so I'm trying here - does Baylor accept letter packets from an undergraduate institution? My school collected my letters and I'm not sure I can send individual letters in. I emailed the office over a week ago with no response.

EDIT: I applied MSTP and I included four letters from professors and work/volunteer supervisors and two letters from PIs in the packet, so I feel like it covers the letter requirements exactly. I just can't find any indication that they actually accept letter packets.

I've been waiting on an answer from the Baylor admissions office with no luck, so I'm trying here - does Baylor accept letter packets from an undergraduate institution? My school collected my letters and I'm not sure I can send individual letters in. I emailed the office over a week ago with no response.

EDIT: I applied MSTP and I included four letters from professors and work/volunteer supervisors and two letters from PIs in the packet, so I feel like it covers the letter requirements exactly. I just can't find any indication that they actually accept letter packets.

uh i sent in a packet for just regular md so im sure u can do it for mdphd

Perfect - thanks! I didn't get an actual "committee letter" (too far out from school for that), but I did get the "committee packet," and their website does not address that. I know schools hate it when you don't follow the rules, and Baylor seems pretty intent on following the rules with the letters.

I also sent in a letter packet for regular MD so Im sure you fine

EDIT- just saw that it wasnt really a committe letter you sent. Im sure its fine although its best if you call the office

I also sent in a letter packet for regular MD so Im sure you fine

EDIT- just saw that it wasnt really a committe letter you sent. Im sure its fine although its best if you call the office

I have a note in my calendar to call on Monday just in case - it's not like the two days over the weekend will make a huge difference. I'll update the list in case anyone else is in the same predicament!

II just now :). LizzyM 74 submitted 7/1. IS. Woo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
II this morning as well! Submitted 7/24, OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Seems Baylor is on an out of state roll today

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Those with OOS IIs, what are your stats?

Those with OOS IIs, what are your stats?
524 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, rising senior. ECs: mix of research (no publications, but lots of hours), clinical volunteering (approx. 200 hours), music, tutoring, and work experience.

524 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, rising senior. ECs: mix of research (no publications, but lots of hours), clinical volunteering (approx. 200 hours), music, tutoring, and work experience.

Woaaaahhhhhh

Anyone know the number of acceptances that Baylor offers? Not matriculants like posted in MSAR, but actual offers of acceptance?

Anyone know the number of acceptances that Baylor offers? Not matriculants like posted in MSAR, but actual offers of acceptance?

There's a Reddit thread with this information from someone with access to USNEWS reports.

Here it is!

Attachments

• IMG_0016.PNG
    IMG_0016.PNG
    95.2 KB · Views: 305
Reactions: 2 users
MS1 here silently lurking lol, if anyone has any questions about Baylor I am free to answer them!

Reactions: 2 users
How was your interview day? More or less stressful compared to other Texas schools?
I had my Baylor interview as my fourth one, so I had seen what a few of the other Texas school's interviews were like. Most of them have you at their building from around 8 - 5, sometimes shorter, for tours and curriculum information along with your actual 30 minute interviews. 9 hours can be a long time to remain focused and energetic, especially if your interviews are in the afternoon portion and there's no quick access to coffee. Baylor's interview was a breath of fresh air in that it was only around 4 or 5 hours if I remember right. I believe they also started around noon so that was also a plus. The thing with Baylor is that they are aware of how good of a school they are, and not in a stuck up kind of way. They know that you are there to showcase your reasons to be there, and as such do not try to "sell" you the school. It really speaks for itself, so don't be surprised if the feeling you get from the Baylor interview is different then you get from other schools. They started the first few hours with tours of the school and info about their curriculum and Houston in general, gave you food, then sent you off to your interviews. I remember my two interviews were relatively normal, no trick questions or anything, then afterwards you could stay for the hospital tours (both a long and short one), or just leave. In general very relaxed and not as taxing as other Texas schools.

Hope that helps a bit!

Reactions: 8 users
Is anyone else getting an error message when they try to log into the status check?

Is anyone else getting an error message when they try to log into the status check?

Yep - Just checked. My guess is that they probably think that 10:45 on a Friday night is an okay time to work on the computer network.

Do you guys think we should stay for the "optional" post-interview social at 7? After all these secondaries, I have no idea if something is truly optional nowadays.

Do you guys think we should stay for the "optional" post-interview social at 7? After all these secondaries, I have no idea if something is truly optional nowadays.
You definitely don't have to, I didn't go to that when I went through my interview.

MS4 here. The social is just a social, true and pure. I promise! But I'd highly recommend going since it's the best way to get to know our current students and gauge the atmosphere we have here (which I think is awesome, by the way). Hope you can come out

For the secondary, would it be best to talk about an adversity (immigrating to US; not really elaborated much anywhere in AMCAS app) or focus more on why Baylor? I've been getting conflicting thoughts on this, and really want my secondary be up to par and not make the wrong move.

For the secondary, would it be best to talk about an adversity (immigrating to US; not really elaborated much anywhere in AMCAS app) or focus more on why Baylor? I've been getting conflicting thoughts on this, and really want my secondary be up to par and not make the wrong move.
Why not start with immigration and tell how that makes baylor a good fit?

II half an hour ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally unexpected - I'm OOS with no ties to Texas. Regular MD, LizzyM ~77, complete around 7/21 (never received a complete email).

Why not start with immigration and tell how that makes baylor a good fit?

This is a great idea. Cultural intelligence is a prized trait and will serve you well in relating to your future patients.

That's especially true in Houston, which considers diversity one of its foremost assets. Both of our deans of admission are minorities, for example.

I'd say it's an excellent point to bring up in your interview too:
houston diversity - Pesquisa Google

Y'all that interview was very painless! Truly a conversation. Both of my interviewers were friendly and asked normal questions, with follow up questions if I gave an interesting response. Also the MS1s and other students who helped out were very supportive, as were the other med students who saw us walking around. BCM gets two thumbs up in my book.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to report but no one will be accepted to BCM this year due to severe flooding. Thank you.