2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for those of us who interview last Friday (1/27) and are interviewing this Friday (02/03), when do you think well hear back? Feb 20th is a Monday and Presidents day, so is it possible we hear the Friday before (2/17)?

Members don't see this ad.

So for those of us who interview last Friday (1/27) and are interviewing this Friday (02/03), when do you think well hear back? Feb 20th is a Monday and Presidents day, so is it possible we hear the Friday before (2/17)?
Most likely yes, if the 20th is a holiday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do Feb 3rd people find out the same time as the jan interviews?

Is it true that deferred /wait list applicants hear back earlier than the admitted students?

Who's excited to start school here? How are you guys approaching housing?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is Phi Chi walking distance? I think I remember my host telling that it's a little far..which I know is a matter of personal preference

It would be about a 20 minute walk. The woman who gave me a tour said she normally takes the bus, which is free for students. It's about a 5 minute walk from the apartments and a 10 minute ride to the campus. It's a little farther out than I would prefer, but I can't beat the price if I want my own place.

Anyone feel that they didn't do as well on some of the MMI stations, but still ended up getting accepted?

Anyone feel that they didn't do as well on some of the MMI stations, but still ended up getting accepted?

I felt like I bombed the first one. Finished like 2 minutes early and proceeded to shoot the breeze with the actress for the remainder of the time...while staying in character. *facepalm*

I felt like I bombed the first one. Finished like 2 minutes early and proceeded to shoot the breeze with the actress for the remainder of the time...while staying in character. *facepalm*

Oh ok thanks. I know they said doing poorly on one station won't sink your candidacy, but I wasn't confident in my performance on a few stations. We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One thing I'm still kind of confused about is the Branches portion of the curriculum. We're doing what are normally M3 rotations in M2, so do the M4 rotations get moved to M3, or are they spread out? And with that extra year's worth of time, do we get to decide what to do with it?

I think they just finished finalizing that portion of the curriculum, so we actually don't know the details yet so take all of this with grain of salt. As far as I know, I think it provides more flexibility based on what individual students want to do. I want to do research for several months of my M3 year and others will be working on the Pathway capstone projects. There are probably elective rotations that can be done as well in terms of clinical experience. So I'm hoping that if I know what I want to do after rotations I can further explore that specialty or if I don't know, I'll have time to look into things not covered much during the basic rotations. Which is nice, considering that with a two year preclinical you have basically no time to explore before you need to apply for residency.

I think they just finished finalizing that portion of the curriculum, so we actually don't know the details yet so take all of this with grain of salt. As far as I know, I think it provides more flexibility based on what individual students want to do. I want to do research for several months of my M3 year and others will be working on the Pathway capstone projects. There are probably elective rotations that can be done as well in terms of clinical experience. So I'm hoping that if I know what I want to do after rotations I can further explore that specialty or if I don't know, I'll have time to look into things not covered much during the basic rotations. Which is nice, considering that with a two year preclinical you have basically no time to explore before you need to apply for residency.

Yeah, I really like the system! I'm nervous about the condensed pre-clinical curriculum, but it'll be nice to have the free space at the end. Thanks for this info!

Oh ok thanks. I know they said doing poorly on one station won't sink your candidacy, but I wasn't confident in my performance on a few stations. We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping for the best.

I hope it works out for you!

Reactions: 1 user
I felt like I performed poorly on my last two stations..But on the other hand I knew I did really well on my one-on-one interviews which may have helped compensate for that. At another school, I was told that most students are expected to do "average" on their MMIs and also that they discard your highest and lowest score (they had 8 stations). Best of luck!

Are you living alone? I'm hoping to get a single bedroom to myself. I'm so picky. I want hardwood floors. Are you a local?
Yeah I'm living alone. I'm not local but have family in the area that have been nice enough to tour a couple apartments for me.

I felt like I performed poorly on my last two stations..But on the other hand I knew I did really well on my one-on-one interviews which may have helped compensate for that. At another school, I was told that most students are expected to do "average" on their MMIs and also that they discard your highest and lowest score (they had 8 stations). Best of luck!

Thanks for the insight. I feel much better about how I performed. Find out in a couple weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Just got my rejection email yesterday... don't know why mine took so long.

Slightly stressed...they already offered 325 admissions....and around like 90 people interviewed on the last 3 interview days

Slightly stressed...they already offered 325 admissions....and around like 90 people interviewed on the last 3 interview days
Well these are the last people, so they are probably expecting to just about fill up their seats. Anyone who is waitlisted, realistically has no chance. And I was told that, while some deferred decisions are accepted, its usually not a significant amount.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how Michigan feels about reapplicants that got to the II stage but flubbed it? (I'm guessing it's not good.) Thinking ahead to next cycle...

This CA applicant did not apply to enough schools.

Last edited:

96 to be exact, and most of them were Michigan residents

96 to be exact, and most of them were Michigan residents

The numbers add up, too. (All numbers are taken from here.)

From the 96 interviews, and assuming a 62.7% post interview acceptance rate (113/180), there are probably 60ish acceptances going out.

That brings the total admissions offers to 385, right in line with the 5 year average (388).

The numbers add up, too. (All numbers are taken from here.)

From the 96 interviews, and assuming a 62.7% post interview acceptance rate (113/180), there are probably 60ish acceptances going out.

That brings the total admissions offers to 385, right in line with the 5 year average (388).
True, they interviewed less people though this cycle

apparently, deferrals and rejections come out a day or two before, so I'm on the look out

apparently, deferrals and rejections come out a day or two before, so I'm on the look out
You should also be on the look out for an acceptance email :) From experience, those also sometimes come out a day or two before.

Accepted today! Couldn't imagine attending medical school at any other program!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks everyone! I got a call from a friend associated with the medical school but I haven't got the official email yet. I hope everyone else has good news on the way :)

Any one know if decisions will be emailed today?
I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if they are sent out later this morning or early this afternoon. If an applicant knows someone affiliated with the school, Michigan usually let that person tell the applicant before the official emails go out. Then everyone else gets the official email later that day. For me the 20th fell on a Sunday, and I found out I got in (by email) on the 17th. Hopefully they don't make you all wait until Monday!

ACCEPPTEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users