2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am guessing that a 2nd wave of scholarships is unlikely this year?

Finally, when do institutional loans and scholarships get disbursed? For people with very little money at hand, will we need to take out a small personal loan to cover the initial costs (1st month rent, rent deposit, cost of moving, etc)?

I asked Carol this week. This was her answer:
"Thank you for your email. I am sorry but we will not have another round of scholarship monies to distribute. You will need to make your decision based on the financial aid package that you have. Good luck!"

Also, according to their website Fall term financial aid disbursement for M1 and M2 students occurs in August 2017 (link: Application Timeline).

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Michigan! Huge name, big history, powerful names in every field. Better all-around experience than any ivy med school

Has anyone received information on how to actually accept your financial aid package? So far all I have is the estimate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my acceptance this afternoon and hope that it goes to one of you on the waitlist! Best of luck!

Hard to say goodbye, but I just withdrew! Good luck to everyone! :)

Has anyone received information on how to actually accept your financial aid package? So far all I have is the estimate.

I think they said that the actual packages wouldn't come out until sometime in May, so you don't need to do anything yet!

I'm a bit oblivious as to how scheduling works in medical school. I didn't attend SLW too :(

Anyone know what our schedule will look like in the fall? I am trying to see how many days out of the week I will have to go to school.

Also, is it really bad walking in the snow to school during the winters? How brutal can the winters in Michigan be? I am either bringing a car or walking/riding the bus, but in the interest of saving money, I would prefer getting a single bedroom apartment near campus.

I'm a bit oblivious as to how scheduling works in medical school. I didn't attend SLW too :(

Anyone know what our schedule will look like in the fall? I am trying to see how many days out of the week I will have to go to school.

Can only speak to the first few points as I'm OOS as well. Most of this is information is from memory / SLW:

- Lectures are optional and typically from 8-12 M/W/F
- Tuesday / Thursday are for required events like anatomy lab / small groups / doctoring / ICE
- We normally have 2 afternoons open each week

Also, is it really bad walking in the snow to school during the winters? How brutal can the winters in Michigan be? I am either bringing a car or walking/riding the bus, but in the interest of saving money, I would prefer getting a single bedroom apartment near campus.

It's really not that bad. Just make sure you have a nice warm coat, tall boots, hat, scarf, gloves, wool socks, etc and you will be fine. I have walked to class many days in negative double digit wind chills and lived to tell the tale :) I would rather walk in the snow than drive in snow any day.

It's really not that bad. Just make sure you have a nice warm coat, tall boots, hat, scarf, gloves, wool socks, etc and you will be fine. I have walked to class many days in negative double digit wind chills and lived to tell the tale :) I would rather walk in the snow than drive in snow any day.
Do people go to the market in the snow too? What if there's a super blizzard? Sorry if I sound super dumb.

Also, how much far distance traveling is done in the first year of medical school? Anyone know why they estimate ~$5000 in travel expenses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, how much far distance traveling is done in the first year of medical school? Anyone know why they estimate ~$5000 in travel expenses?

Maybe car insurance payments and things of that nature are factored in to go to rotation sites for ICE and specifically for rotations. Also depending on how many times you visit family and where your family is located it may cost you more for air travel. I'm out of state and will not be spending $5,000 on travel in a year.

Tough decision, but just withdrew. Wishing the best to everyone already here and to people on the waitlist! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do people go to the market in the snow too? What if there's a super blizzard? Sorry if I sound super dumb.
The news blows winter storms way out or proportion in my opinion. I have lived in the Midwest my entire life and seen many winter storms and there has only been one time that I literally could not leave my house. And that was short lived because by the next morning all the streets are plowed. If you have to drive anywhere in snow just drive slowly and leave 2-3x the stopping distance that you think you need. Usually cities are pretty good about salting and plowing the main roads even if the neighborhood streets aren't plowed well. I imagine it would take a little bit of getting used to if you have never lived anywhere with snow, but I promise it's really not bad!

Anyone going to request a loan for school health insurance? My understanding is that this isn't a part of the standard financial aid package.

Got a waitlist email, don't think I have a chance as I bombed one of my interviews but I'm down for the ride.

Sounds like the class of 2021 is overbooked. Received an email this morning with a very significant scholarship offer if I chose to defer a year.

Sounds like the class of 2021 is overbooked. Received an email this morning with a very significant scholarship offer if I chose to defer a year.

You going to take it?

Hasn't this happened a few years ago as well?

Probably not, but I have until Monday to decide.

Yeah, I met a few people at SLW who had deferred a year because last year's class was overbooked as well.
I got the email as well. I am considering it, but I need some clarification.

Is the amount offered in the email in addition to the merit scholarship that students have already received? How about the need-based scholarship?

I got the email as well. I am considering it, but I need some clarification.

Is the amount offered in the email in addition to the merit scholarship that students have already received? How about the need-based scholarship?

Let me know what your search yields, I'm in need of the same answers.

I sent an email, but if it is including the merit scholarship, it would be nice. I am guessing that the need-based scholarship is calculated based on merit-based scholarships already received and family situation, so it could be lowered based on receipt of the deferral scholarship.

It's way past their office hours, so I guess we won't know the answer to how this deferral scholarship affects the other scholarships and grants already given.

Do you think the deferral scholarship is worth it?

It's way past their office hours, so I guess we won't know the answer to how this deferral scholarship affects the other scholarships and grants already given.

Do you think the deferral scholarship is worth it?

Let's move this over to PM

Last edited:
Did anyone else decide to defer? I was very on the fence but decided to go with it

Has anyone received any correspondence since making the decision to matriculate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is this e-mail different than the confirmation email you got after officially committing?

Apologies, misread your initial post. Thought you were talking about turning down the deferral and deciding to matriculate.

I received an email recently about pre-matriculation program. Anyone else going to go to that?

Haven't received. What are the details?
You arrive around 4 weeks earlier to take some anatomy classes and participate in some leadership and diversity workshops.

By the way, I'm still looking for housing and I inquired about the Northwood complexes. Housing responded to me by saying that I wasn't marticulated yet (?) and therefore cannot send me a housing application. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm guessing we are still not officially in the UofM system?

Anyone receive that email regarding institutional action? Was that a general memo sent to everyone?

Has anyone had success negotiating financial aid offers here?

Has anyone had success negotiating financial aid offers here?

I was also able to negotiate financial aid. They also matched a scholarship I received at another school. This was before May 1.

Has anyone received their official financial package yet (not the estimate)?

Has anyone received their official financial package yet (not the estimate)?
Yeah! It's on our Wolverine Access account. I think the instructions were sent via your med.umich.edu email address.

Having some trouble attaching the link, so google "Wolverine Access" and click on the first link.
Students --> Student Business --> login w/ uniqname

Hey guys! I'm applying next cycle and UM is definitely my goal school to be accepted to. Do you think I'm competitive as an in state student with a 3.93 GPA and a 512 MCAT

Could anyone who was given an acceptance after being deferred comment on what you did to communicate your interest in the interim? Thanks!